Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Josep Dowling

Might be spin.. but that is typical Riola.. De Ligt has a buy out clause too iirc.

I have no issues if we just refuse to deal with Riola .. ever.. or if we do, he gets no special treatment.
Well we are going to miss out on a lot of talented players then. In the long run that’s more damaging.

Fifa need to stop the racket that are agents being able to create such contracts. I’m surprised clubs aren’t pushing the subject more. They are making millions from doing absolutely nothing.

Classical Mechanic

Might be spin.. but that is typical Riola.. De Ligt has a buy out clause too iirc.

I have no issues if we just refuse to deal with Riola .. ever.. or if we do, he gets no special treatment.
Raiola likes his clients to move around too so he can maximise his slice from transfers fees and scale up the player's wages. He'll see Dortmund as the perfect stepping stone club to engineer that mega transfer.

Pyro19

People can spin this decision however they want to but I am glad that United are now dealing with players on their own terms instead of being strong armed by super agents.

That being said, I hope we smash dortmund whenever we play them next.

Classical Mechanic

People can spin this decision however they want to but I am glad that United are now dealing with players on their own terms instead of being strong armed by super agents.

That being said, I hope we smash dortmund whenever we play them next.
They always have tbf. They've never allowed a release clause in a contract as far as I'm aware and never will. There's no way that they'd agree to a big slice of future transfer fee for an agent either.

Ekeke

So the one player who actually might have wanted to sign and play for Ole, didnt want to. Bummer

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think that's more a dig at the media outlets in England and Italy who reported Haaland signing for their respective clubs as done dealio?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Any figures mentioned of what his buy-out with Dortmund is?

R'hllor

No issue for me there, already said that club should come publicly and announce that Riola isnt welcomed, so his clients know if they ever think about joining us. Regardless of those clauses being true or not, it wouldnt surprise me, % for me, slice here, buyout clause there, i mean player joining us and he wants already get out clause. Guess he learned his lesson from whole Pogba situation.

So feck those clowns, Dortmund will get profit at the end, after his agents throws few chairs.

dev1l

We need to do like City and stop doing business once Raiola is involved

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We’ve even missed out on a player pictured with our shirt :lol:

The last 6 years sure did a number on the collective psyche of this fan base. Can’t handle the slightest of rejection.
To be fair it would be hilarious if it happened today, Woodward's life would be in immediate danger. :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The strange thing is that Dortmund aren't actually playing with a striker at the moment and Alcacer, who is a great goal scorer himself, barely gets any minutes.
Yes, I'm not sure the taller, less agile Haaland fits better into Favre's football. Balotelli is the only really tall CF I can think of who functioned under Favre, at least for some time. Perhaps that move is an indicator of a transfer policy independent of the coach's priorities? Which may not be a good sign for Favre, as that never worked out well for him.

fps

Joining a pathetic hipster club that is always going to be in the shadow of true prestige like Bayern Munich

Greenwood will make him look like a pub league footballer before long.
So, so bitter.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We need to do like City and stop doing business once Raiola is involved
Not sure he's even his agent is he? Or if he is I'm sure it's a recent arrangement. Raiola is just smart, aligning himself with every young talent before their first big move, did the same with De Ligt making it very hard to avoid having to deal with him if we continue to shop in the 'young potential' market

Strelok

That’s assuming he wouldn’t get a new contract and a pay raise at Utd in the same timeframe, with all the sign on bonuses. Also 7m guaranteed in the bank > potential 15m few years down the line. Loss of form, illness, injuries, not getting confidence of the coach can happen.
This can happen at both clubs tbf. But given the huge pressure playing at Utd, horrible physical demand of the PL and the Bundes is much easier than the PL I'd say the probability of that to happen at Utd is much higher than at Dortmund.

The bonuses of a renew contract is usually much lower than ones of a new contract imo. And he'd get that pay rise when he move to a new club anyway.

Tbf, I think both football and financial matters were well considered. Smart move indeed.

ash_86

Does OGS have any involvement in contract negotiations?
At United manager has a lot of say in Transfers. Deal wasn't impossible to get one but just would have been bad business.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
At United manager has a lot of say in Transfers. Deal wasn't impossible to get one but just would have been bad business.
I'm sure they have a say in who gets signed but do you think they have a hand in the actual details of the contract? I would have thought Fergie was the last one who did.

Acole9

Outstanding
A bidding war for a player who has only played in pub leagues... footballs gone mad Jeff, footballs gone mad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I mean, they've always been that. Let them have their fun!
It just seems odd to gloat when they’ve practically bent over for raiola with those terms! doubt he will be there more than 2/3 years anyway

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fairly gutted to miss out on this player but with the terms being as reported we really had no choice but to walk away.

It speaks volumes about the way both clubs view signings. Dortmund clearly not too concerned by the terms because they know the likelihood will be that they get a potentially very good player for 2 to 3 seasons and then make a profit. United not interested in being a stepping stone, and rightfully so.

If the numbers are true then football really does continue to have a growing cancer at its core when an agent can receive almost as much in commission as the selling club receive. There is no way football can continue to sustain the sums of money that are going out of the game every single year.

Johan07

United wouldn't agree to a buyout clause.
We should give some credit to the club when credit is due.
To OGS, Woodward, Judge or whomever. As far as I know United have never agreed to a buyout clause to a player, or to even worse commit to the players representatives to have a large slice of a future transfer fee and basically control when he leaves.
If those tabloid stories are true, good fecking riddance I say. We need to invest that money elsewhere anyways. Like midfield, midfield and Sancho.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yes, I'm not sure the taller, less agile Haaland fits better into Favre's football. Balotelli is the only really tall CF I can think of who functioned under Favre, at least for some time. Perhaps that move is an indicator of a transfer policy independent of the coach's priorities? Which may not be a good sign for Favre, as that never worked out well for him.
Well.. there were also Mike Hanke and Igor de Camargo who did relatively well for him at Gladbach. Though Luuk de Jong was a massive flop, I don't think height is a factor at all, it's about technical ability which often correlates with size, so Favre usually preferred smaller attackers, because his clubs couldn't afford complete players.
At the moment Favre uses two dribblers (Sancho/Hazard) out wide and Reus as a #10/#9 hybrid who links up play centrally and then drives forward into finishing positions. I don't see Haaland playing either role. So for him to start matches Favre would need to deviate from a system that has served him very well (results against Leipzig and Hoffenheim aside, which were both unfortunate imho) and it's hard to speculate what that might look like.
I think the second part of your post is probably right though. Favre had already more than one foot out the door after the fairly disappointing October/November matches and there is no credit left if the team's form dips again. I reckon there's a 50/50 chance at best that he will survive the summer and thus it makes little sense to fine tune the squad around his needs, especially when you can land such a high profile transfer.

charlenefan

Fairly gutted to miss out on this player but with the terms being as reported we really had no choice but to walk away.

It speaks volumes about the way both clubs view signings. Dortmund clearly not too concerned by the terms because they know the likelihood will be that they get a potentially very good player for 2 to 3 seasons and then make a profit. United not interested in being a stepping stone, and rightfully so.

If the numbers are true then football really does continue to have a growing cancer at its core when an agent can receive almost as much in commission as the selling club receive. There is no way football can continue to sustain the sums of money that are going out of the game every single year.
More like it speaks volumes about the clubs themselves, Dortmund are just happy being a selling club and the '2nd' best side in Germany

Josep Dowling

The figures of the operation #Håland to the #BorussiaDortmund : 30 million for the card (20 clause, 10 to the father) + 15 million commission for #Raiola . The player signs the contract until 2024 from 6 net that rise to 8 from the third year with a rescission clause. #calciomercato#BVB
Why get Raiola involved? I really don’t get it. He walks away with more than his Dad in this transfer ffs. Get this leech out of football.

Classical Mechanic

The figures of the operation #Håland to the #BorussiaDortmund : 30 million for the card (20 clause, 10 to the father) + 15 million commission for #Raiola . The player signs the contract until 2024 from 6 net that rise to 8 from the third year with a rescission clause. #calciomercato#BVB
:houllier:

£15m just for an advising role! Raiola is the best in the game.

charlenefan

If our muppets are depressed spare a thought for the RB Leipzig fans :lol:

Johan07

I'm sure they have a say in who gets signed but do you think they have a hand in the actual details of the contract? I would have thought Fergie was the last one who did.
Why would any manager have a hand in the actual details of the contract? Its not like Sir Alex was a City lawyer either.
If you do mean things like release clauses and sell-on clauses which has been reported regarding Haaland, that should not be down to the manager ever. It should be club policy as to what to allow, and I for one I am happy that United seem to have taken a stand of what IMO is starting to be malpractice in footballing Europe.