Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone afraid of a bit of competition is never gonna make it.

I doubt this had anything to do with it.

The claim he wouldn't get minutes given United's limited options up front is laughable.
He’d get minutes, but not as many. It would be like a homeless man spending his last tenner getting his beard shaped at the barbers. Get your other shit in order.

Godfather

We have plenty of huge talent at the club already, no worries.
And we are one injury up front away from going goalless again. He was a perfect fit in my opinion. Thank God Martial looks the part up front but the fecker can't stay fit.

InfiniteBoredom

The claim he wouldn't get minutes given United's limited options up front is laughable.
It isn’t though. Look at Martial for instance, as much as he’s played, this is his 5th season at the club and the first one he gets to be undisputed starting no.9, and that after we flogged off our previous £75m striker. Imagine how much further along he would be in his development if he didn’t have to shuffle between the left wing and the bench for 2.5 years under Mourinho.

Competition is good and all, but there’s a reason most clubs send out young players on loan at 18-19-20 once they’ve outgrown reserve football, unless there’s a clear path for them in the first team. They need to get as much minutes as possible at that stage.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I would take these reports whose sole purpose it is to explain why United didn't get/sign a highly rated player/youngster with a grain of salt.

Orestetes

Also, annoying how ruthlessly efficient Dortmund are in the transfer market. Not much of a peep from the media, whilst we're like a hippo slowly drowning in treacle.
It really is annoying. However hippos are surprisingly fast, so I don't think this is a correct comparison. I'd say we're more like koalas slowly burning alive in Australian forest fires.

Withnail

It isn’t though. Look at Martial for instance, as much as he’s played, this is his 5th season at the club and the first one he gets to be undisputed starting no.9, and that after we flogged off our previous £75m striker. Imagine how much further along he would be in his development if he didn’t have to shuffle between the left wing and the bench for 2.5 years under Mourinho.

Competition is good and all, but there’s a reason most clubs send out young players on loan at 18-19-20 once they’ve outgrown reserve football, unless there’s a clear path for them in the first team. They need to get as much minutes as possible at that stage.
My point is that if he's as good as he's supposed to be he'd walk into United's first team and should back himself to do so.

Strelok

I’m actually impressed with this move on his part. Shows that he prioritize his development over money.
Atm I strongly doubt this tbh.

If the reports about buyout clause and sale percentage are true then money is exactly what he and his father is after imo.

He is an unproven 19 years old so no way we could offer him a lucrative deal. I'd say 100 £k a week max, probably with a backup status contract, not even first team player.

Dortmund on the other hand must view him as a first team player. They'd offer him around 50 £k a week imo.

Which mean over 2-3 years here he would make an additional sum of 5 to 7 £m compared to Dortmund.

I have no idea about how much is his buyout clause and share percentage of the next sale at Dortmund but given that Raiola was involved, the buyout must be not too high to easily move him around but not too low so the shares would be sufficient. And the resale percentage must be pretty high. I'd say 60 £m and 25 % or even more. Which means 15 £m at the least next time he moves to another club. Not counting they'll get another signing on fee, agent fee compared to the move to Utd.

So, it's all about math and money imo. Which should be no surprise considering Raiola was involved.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I would take these reports whose sole purpose it is to explain why United didn't get/sign a highly rated player/youngster with a grain of salt.
But Dortmund is a second-rate club. All those reports do make sense seeing as they're a stepping-stone. Neither Juventus nor United nor any other historical big club would agree to the terms being put forward.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

That's not what he's saying.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Its not so much us backing out, as us backing out from unacceptable deals. We can't live with a player having a buyout clause that clubs might trigger. This is not a selling club.
I'm just perplexed as to why the rags didn't report on the potential buyout clause before the deal was finalised. Seems very convenient and happens all too often. Deal gets done and suddenly the club that lost out lists tonnes of reason as to why they backed out. Release clauses can be renegotiated anyway, they're not that big of a deal, seeing as our policy is to reward our young players who are performing with bumper contracts anyway. Personally, I don't believe it. I don't blame the club though. I just think Haland chose Dortmund for footballing reasons.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It sounds like damage control from the club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We need a striker though, so by that logic you're saying you wouldn't want a striker because he'll take minutes from Greenwood. You can't build a top side like that, you need quality in every position twice.

For what it's worth, I dont see a striker blocking Greenwood anyway. He'd continue to get his minutes from the right of a narrow 3.
We need a midfielder more and for all the transfer fee is small, the extra cash to his dad and Raiola pushes the cost up and we would likely pay him even more than Dortmund. That is money not going on a midfielder. The buyout clause is a nightmare and his dad and Raiola's cut of it.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
But Dortmund is a second-rate club. All those reports do make sense seeing as they're a stepping-stone. Neither Juventus nor United nor any other historical big club would agree to the terms being put forward.
Juve agreed to a release clause when they bought De Ligt, and I believe Raiola was involved in that transaction too.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Knew someone would respond in a childish manner. It's not Uniteds fault you fall for speculation though.

Is it not possible that Haaland choose Dortmund because he will get the most playing time, and knows he will likely be able to move clubs in a few years time if he develops well?
God, the acolytes are dense. This club is pathetic at all levels and you're eating up the propaganda for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They love being linked with every transfer because the clicks mean more ad revenue. There's no efficient working relationship with agents. There's no vision. I can't wait for Ed Woodward's own 'Winning Edge: How to build a league winning side with a banker's mentality'.

People drinking the Koolaid and thinking Norwegian citizenship coupled with a manager with no stature in the game is going to lead to him signing. Unless they overpay by 40%, Sancho isn't coming. He left Pep and City to go to Dortmund just to come and play for OGS?? A segment of this fanbase is seriously deluded. We're an atrociously run amusement park at this point.

El-Manos

More urgent matters that need attending. Get a number 10, RW and midfielder in first. We can look at the striking options then.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We need a midfielder more and for all the transfer fee is small, the extra cash to his dad and Raiola pushes the cost up and we would likely pay him even more than Dortmund. That is money not going on a midfielder. The buyout clause is a nightmare and his dad and Raiola's cut of it.
Not saying midfield shouldn't be a priority. We are desperate for a striker too though, and all the add ons in the world still make this a low fee. Certainly when compared against going rate.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Off to the Odegaard thread when he is mismanaged by Madrid next season :drool:

Ban

If we didnt wanted to deal with Raiola we wouldn’t even approached him in the first place?

Im sorry but it all seems “We didn’t wanted it anyway” excuses
Well we did want him but pulled out due to demands.

InfiniteBoredom

As Dortmund fan I’d imagine it’s not pleasant for you to hear that he’d only move there because Utd doesn’t agree to a release clause, but do you actually have any cause to believe we’d agree to one?
My point is that if he's as good as he's supposed to be he'd walk into United's first team and should back himself to do so.
He’s an 18 year old kid who’ve mostly played in the Norwegian and Austrian league. Even Cristiano Ronaldo didn’t get to be undisputed starter for us at 18, and that’s with no one of the same age vying for the same spot.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not saying midfield shouldn't be a priority. We are desperate for a striker too though, and all the add ons in the world still make this a low fee. Certainly when compared against going rate.
Just think if we bought a striker it needs to be someone as a backup with experience, not another kid.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
God, the acolytes are dense. This club is pathetic at all levels and you're eating up the propaganda for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They love being linked with every transfer because the clicks mean more ad revenue. There's no efficient working relationship with agents. There's no vision. I can't wait for Ed Woodward's own 'Winning Edge: How to build a league winning side with a banker's mentality'.

People drinking the Koolaid and thinking Norwegian citizenship coupled with a manager with no stature in the game is going to lead to him signing. Unless they overpay by 40%, Sancho isn't coming. He left Pep and City to go to Dortmund just to come and play for OGS?? A segment of this fanbase is seriously deluded. We're an atrociously run amusement park at this point.
High caliber players dream of Lucien Favre at night?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

Halftrack

Feck off.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Oh man, that's pretty fecked up, thought he was nailed to join us. He's made a right choice though, so did BVB, we fecked it up.

RedDevil-85

Im very disappointed.
And for that price he is a fecking bargin.
Dortmund have gotten themselves a great striker,will be interesting to see Sancho and Haaland link up.

Hope we go for a midfielder or a 10 in January then.

Dinghy

Odds on Martial to pull his hamstring at the Emirates and Haaland to bag a hat-trick in his debut?

Champagne Football

I honestly think not buying anymore Raiola players is a great thing. Klopp and Pep don't go near Raiola players with a barge pole. We need to take a leaf from their book.

If Haaland scored 20 in his first season here, Raiola would be demanding increase in salary to 500,000 a week, or else he forces a move to Madrid. We don't need that shit here anymore.

Berbatov reckons Haaland is a Lukaku clone and he could have a point. Greenwood will be our strike sensation for years to come. There's some good strikers out there if we decide to buy another. Osimhen, Timo Werner, Moussa Dembele etc

0le

Disappointing but not the end of the world. With Martial and Greenwood up front and Rashford as a backup, we probably need wingers, in particular a right winger and probably need another young winger to come through.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few really lose their shit when some young player signs for other clubs :lol: