Erling Haaland | Dortmund player

Eternitiy

If Utd win either the PL or CL this season, then Haaland is a dead cert next season.

The profile of the club after wining either of them two trophies will get it over the line.

(not saying the profile of the club is not big enough now)
What makes you think Ole can deliver such titles?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think he will go to Real Madrid to replace Benzema.

Expect them to sign both Haaland and Mbappe next summer. Unfortunately Benzemas contract expires in 12 months so they can just release him and sign Haaland.

I guess we can get Benzema

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Why wouldnt he get these numbers in the PL? Salah broke the all time record and he never scored more than 15 in Italy.
It really depends on who hes going to play for, PL teams arent as good going forward as Dortmund, apart from Liverpool and City and maybe United this season.
It's harder to score against better opposition, isn't it? He would still deliver great numbers, but it's very easy and safe to say that at this stage of his carreer he would have a harder time playing against better sides. This is not a stretch by any means.

He would be the leading scorer in the premier league if the supply is right.
He sure would be.

4 against Genk, 3 against Napoli, 2 against PSG and 1 against Liverpool in 19/20. 10 In 524 minutes, most of the minutes for a small Austrian club. Also 3 against Bayern Munchen in BL last season. He scores no matter who the opposition is.
He does and I never doubted that he'd produce great numbers, even if he joined the PL immediately after leaving his former club. But then again, I never denied that. You should read how this discussion started. The question was why he isn't playing in the PL at this moment and that's due to his carreer plan. Dortmund and the bundesliga were a step up for him but it's just an intermezzo for obvious reasons. He's too good.

Do you think strikers rack up their silly numbers against the top teams? Salah's top 3 victims in terms of goals per game are West Ham, Bournemouth and Watford.

Haaland scored 6 in 3 against Leipzig, 4 in 4 against Bayern and Gladbach, 4 in 2 against Sevilla. 3 in 3 against Napoli.

It still made sense for him to join Dortmund first, because they guaranteed him a key role in a very productive setup when bigger clubs might have tried to easy him in more slowly or put undroppable players in front of him (Juventus/Ronaldo), but you don't get very far when trying to discredit him based on his victims. He does it against anyone.
That's basically what I was saying. Dortmund was the perfect move for him, they offered him everything he needed at that stage of his carreer.

You sound like a proper bitter fan. Ahh yes Shalke supporter.

If it’s not that impressive, why are other strikers in Europe not delivering the same numbers? They get to play against weaker teams too right?
Neither am I bitter nor am I not impressed. I highly recommend actually reading the conversation completely and not just fragments, otherwise they're taken out of context, just as this is the case here.

Only had an assist against City in the knockout stages so no bigbad team to play that season, but season before that he netted two against PSG with Dortmund and , 1 against Liverpool and 3 against Napoli with Salzburg. You can only play the team on the pitch.

Last season he scored 3 against Bayern, 2 against Leipzig, etc. There's no real indicators that any different league is going to have a net negative impact on his scoring. Sure having historically better teams in the top4 is a difference, but EL teams teams routinely get knocked out by average european competition, so the level isnt THAT much higher in the Premier League compared to the Bundesliga, contrary to popular opinion.

The only striker better in world football is Lewandowski himself
I think Haaland is better than Lewandowski. Surely we have to agree that scoring against better teams is harder than it is against weaker teams, right? I don't think it's controversial to say that the PL is far ahead qualitywise of the Bundesliga.

::sonny::

Expect them to sign both Haaland and Mbappe next summer. Unfortunately Benzemas contract expires in 12 months so they can just release him and sign Haaland.

This

Mike Smalling

Phenomenal player of course, but every time I see one of his goals it seems like he has a full half of the field to work with. The Bundesliga seems very open at times.

Would be a real shame if he went to Madrid. Part of me really wants to see what he can do in the Premier League, even it was for a rival.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
People disregarding Ole’s pull !

…Haaland will be playing in front of the OT faithful soon enough:devil:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Chelsea stupidly spunk their money on average Lukaku so I think we don't have any other competition than Real. How much is his buyout clause? Do they have enough money for him? I think they are aiming at Mbappe for free anyway. We will have Cavani leaving and possibly Martial too. He will be a guranteed starter basically. We just need to show ourselves feasable for him winning something this year. His relationship with Ole shouldnt be underestimated. Timing will be very good I reckon.
I'd personally offer to drive Martial to the airport if it meant securing Haaland's signature.

3vra

If there is a chance to buy one of the best central forward in the last few decades you buy him as fast as you can and bring him to Old Trafford and then we will see.

Seriously why would anyone prefer to not to do that to give Greenwood a chance or anyother Young player ?

You have ready made player at the highest level, and there were not many better strikers in history and you would rather give It a shot that maybe, someday Greenwood would be better ?

If Greenwood is better talent he would need to be a hybrid of Ronaldo and Batistuta, and believe me if he is that talented we will find him a place in the team. I would not worry about that.

The player i would worry about is Rashford, cause if we buy Haaland i can see us playing Sancho on the left, Haaland in the centre and Greenwood on the right with Bruno and Pogba behind….and Kimmich at DM (just kidding but that would be just perfect)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

And then a season or two after, we get Lewandowski. Then we’ll just continue this cycle of getting top class no.9s at the end of their peak forever.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I just can’t help myself but I am still not convinced he will be this all conquering striker.
I know his numbers and they are absolutely ridiculous no matter the opponent. And I love his passion for the game and the way he always celebrates (with) his teammates.

What bothers me is that IMHO(!) he relies too much on pace and power. His technique is not top level and pace and power is something that he will lose eventually. He is brilliant for a counter attacking side though.

As a Bayern supporter I am not sure if I would want him at my club because I think it would not work out.
Glad to be wrong as I enjoy watching him play!

Chief123

Greenwood then a confirmed right sided player? Which means Sancho goes where?
So you are expecting to spend a whole season with Greenwood as our one and only striker? Yeah makes sense.

Cavani is gone next summer. Martial probably too.

Chief123

Phenomenal player of course, but every time I see one of his goals it seems like he has a full half of the field to work with. The Bundesliga seems very open at times.

Would be a real shame if he went to Madrid. Part of me really wants to see what he can do in the Premier League, even it was for a rival.
I mentioned this to friends yesterday.

Nearly every goal you see which Haaland scores or any goal which Sancho was involved in last season, there seems to be an ocean of space to run into with horrendous defending on many occasions. Looks nothing like the organisation of premier league defences.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Nearly every goal you see which Haaland scores or any goal which Sancho was involved in last season, there seems to be an ocean of space to run into with horrendous defending on many occasions. Looks nothing like the organisation of premier league defences.
Absolutely.

I was also thinking about this yesterday when watching his highlights. I rarely see kamikaze teams like the ones Haaland faces in the Bundesliga in other places.

Chief123

Absolutely.

I was also thinking about this yesterday when watching his highlights. I rarely see kamikaze teams like the ones Haaland faces in the Bundesliga in other places.
A lot of the goals I’ve seen, there seems to be only 2 or 3 opposing players in the camera shot! It’s like teams are playing 7 up front against Dortmund.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Absolutely.

How does that explain that Haaland has a better goal ratio in the UCL than in the BL?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I guess your location suggests you’re joking? Did you not see Leeds get sliced to bits and Greenwood run a fair distance and slot home yesterday?

The PL gets so overrated on here for defensive prowess with no grounds for the notion. In each season some team or other (Mostly City) obliterate the league and notch up cricket scores - Haaland goes to a free-flowing attacking team in England and won’t notch equally comical numbers? Why?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
How does that explain that Haaland has a better goal ratio in the UCL than in the BL?
Good question. It probably defies the myth that he's a counterattack player only and he cannot adapt to all sorts of scenarios.

It would be interesting to analyze his performances in CL to know what kind of goals he scored there.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Good question. It probably defies the myth that he's a counterattack player only and he cannot adapt to all sorts of scenarios.

It would be interesting to analyze his performances in CL to know what kind of goals he scored there.
Haaland is a supreme finisher and also has great movement off the ball. Werner has similar movement, but his finishing has been poor in the PL, which is why he's not been able to repeat his BL numbers in the Prem.

Haaland doesn't seem phased by any occasion and I think he'll be successful in any league, but I also agree with @Acrobat7 's point about him lacking technique in aspects other than finishing. This is what I think distinguishes him from a player like Lewandowski, who has been instrumental for a team like Bayern that have to play at a slower pace than Dortmund owing to teams sitting back more against them. His ability to hold the ball and bring other's into play is the best in the world, as a striker, for me and that is something Haaland lacks, and what can be an issue if he goes to the next tier of teams, which will face deeper oppositions more.

If Dortmund are pressed well, they have struggled even with Haaland there because he's a non-entity in terms of building up play. Though, with his immense physical strength, speed and finishing, all you need is to be able to play one pass over the top for him to get in behind and score (like against City when he bullied Dias off the ball and wasn't able to score because he lost his balance as Dias fell on him, if he went down it could've been a penalty).

It will be interesting to see how he plays, wherever he goes. I would love him at United, he's the perfect striker to take over from Cavani and with playmakers like Bruno and Sancho, he will get plenty to chances to score.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Haaland is a supreme finisher and also has great movement off the ball. Werner has similar movement, but his finishing has been poor in the PL, which is why he's not been able to repeat his BL numbers in the Prem.

Haaland doesn't seem phased by any occasion and I think he'll be successful in any league, but I also agree with @Acrobat7 's point about him lacking technique in aspects other than finishing. This is what I think distinguishes him from a player like Lewandowski, who has been instrumental for a team like Bayern that have to play at a slower pace than Dortmund owing to teams sitting back more against them. His ability to hold the ball and bring other's into play is the best in the world, as a striker, for me and that is something Haaland lacks, and what can be an issue if he goes to the next tier of teams, which will face deeper oppositions more.

If Dortmund are pressed well, they have struggled even with Haaland there because he's a non-entity in terms of building up play. Though, with his immense physical strength, speed and finishing, all you need is to be able to play one pass over the top for him to get in behind and score (like against City when he bullied Dias off the ball and wasn't able to score because he lost his balance as Dias fell on him, if he went down it could've been a penalty).

It will be interesting to see how he plays, wherever he goes. I would love him at United, he's the perfect striker to take over from Cavani and with playmakers like Bruno and Sancho, he will get plenty to chances to score.
Haalands build up play and general involvement is slowly but steadily improving since he joined Dortmund. Yesterday he had about double the contacts he had in his first games there.

To add some numbers (BL only):
1H 2020 13 Goals, 2 Assists
2H 2020 12 G 2 A
1H 2021 15 G 5 A

That is still not very much, but the game yesterday also followed this trend

Last edited:

Chief123

I guess your location suggests you’re joking? Did you not see Leeds get sliced to bits and Greenwood run a fair distance and slot home yesterday?

The PL gets so overrated on here for defensive prowess with no grounds for the notion. In each season some team or other (Mostly City) obliterate the league and notch up cricket scores - Haaland goes to a free-flowing attacking team in England and won’t notch equally comical numbers? Why?
If you think German league defending is the same standard of EPL then your post is a car crash.

Anyway like I said, Haaland will be amazing wherever he goes. If he came to EPL I’ve no doubt he’d be getting golden boot or close to it every season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If you think German league defending is the same standard of EPL then your post is a car crash.

Anyway like I said, Haaland will be amazing wherever he goes. If he came to EPL I’ve no doubt he’d be getting golden boot or close to it every season.
You didn’t answer my question; don’t skirt.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
If Utd win either the PL or CL this season, then Haaland is a dead cert next season.

The profile of the club after wining either of them two trophies will get it over the line.

(not saying the profile of the club is not big enough now)
Big fecking if innit that.

passing-wind

There's a big difference defensively between the Bundelisga / Prem. I'm sure any professional striker would be able to astutely describe the given the space, time and physicality. I think Werner did an interview highlighting this if I'm correct. Bielsa is also very stubborn can't think of a game that leeds haven't pressed the opposition with a higher line and dropped deep to defend.

It's not that the premier League is the best defensive league in Europe, but just because Haalands doing well in Germany doesn't mean it will translate into either Spain or England. Same goes for attacking phases for defenders Boateng for instance average at City then be a key player at Bayern.

I think someone like Mbappe would be a bigger success when assessing how he could do hypothetically as he has more diversity to his game.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I just can’t help myself but I am still not convinced he will be this all conquering striker.
I know his numbers and they are absolutely ridiculous no matter the opponent. And I love his passion for the game and the way he always celebrates (with) his teammates.

What bothers me is that IMHO(!) he relies too much on pace and power. His technique is not top level and pace and power is something that he will lose eventually. He is brilliant for a counter attacking side though.

As a Bayern supporter I am not sure if I would want him at my club because I think it would not work out.
Glad to be wrong as I enjoy watching him play!
Bit early to be worrying about that, no?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bit early to be worrying about that, no?
I am not worried since he won’t be going to my club (Bayern). I am simply not as convinced as others but wish him well. He is not someone that will function at any club and any setup.
And yes, i agree, he is still very young.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
There's a big difference defensively between the Bundelisga / Prem. I'm sure any professional striker would be able to astutely describe the given the space, time and physicality. I think Werner did an interview highlighting this if I'm correct. Bielsa is also very stubborn can't think of a game that leeds haven't pressed the opposition with a higher line and dropped deep to defend.

It's not that the premier League is the best defensive league in Europe, but just because Haalands doing well in Germany doesn't mean it will translate into either Spain or England. Same goes for attacking phases for defenders Boateng for instance average at City then be a key player at Bayern.

I think someone like Mbappe would be a bigger success when assessing how he could do hypothetically as he has more diversity to his game.
I am not arguing that the Prem is not a better league with better defenders but using Boateng to make that point finally has to die. :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

With due respect, you’ve not answered the question, either.

Without going too far back

2017-‘18
City 106 goals Liverpool 84

2018-‘19
City 95 goals Liverpool 89

2019-‘20
Liverpool 85 goals City 102

2020-‘21
City 83 goals United 73

What do you think that tells us? Haaland is not coming to play in a sub tier team; City’s numbers dropped last season because of their off start before rallying and obviously no kun delivering fo the majority of the season. Any prolific attacking unit is amassing ridiculous numbers; more scored than their Bundesliga counterparts, less games in that league accepted. Cricket scores and hammerings aplenty.

For this discussion’s sake:

2017-‘18

Bayern 92 goals Hoffenheim (3rd place) 66

2018-‘19
Bayern 88 goals Dortmund 81

2019-‘20
Bayern 100 goals Dortmund 84 (Haaland arrives)

2020-‘21
Bayern 99 goals Dortmund 75

I’m on an iPad so can’t draw up the more interesting data, which is of the goals conceded per team across both leagues during this time, but extrapolating the 34 to a 38 with a quick glance, the amazing PL defences, so-called, look almost identical in numbers conceded. Why is that? Also, both leagues look like they level off pretty abruptly once we say the outliers in the top 2 are removed

A very good attacking unit breaks lines and makes teams chase the game completely open and susceptible to the stupid goal tallies which are commonplace in this era. You can’t get at Haaland for that in the same breath as seeing Greenwood doing the same thing just a day before, further to that, once we get going, those kind of shorelines are always there, potentially, against a whole host of PL sides.

You’d also be better saying that’s what’s happening, than the notion these amazing defences in the PL are sitting deep and getting absolutely daubed and drubbed regardless.

Another thing I’ll note, as it is a point of interest - for me at least - is that Werner constantly, and I mean constantly, breaches the lines in the PL, and if he were an exceptional finisher, heaven knows what his tally would be. Haaland’s pace, aggression and reading of play is superior to Werner’s with a gulf between them in terms of both shooting and finishing. I think rolling lazy cliches off the tongue that are not applicable to the league anymore is a daft thing to do. We’re not in the PL’s golden age of defenders, not even close, and there’s nothing impressive about the quality of defending here at the moment.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I am not worried since he won’t be going to my club (Bayern). I am simply not as convinced as others but wish him well. He is not someone that will function at any club and any setup.
And yes, i agree, he is still very young.
I don't think you're wrong in principle, but I'd say that Haaland is still making (big) strides in his development. He's gotten significantly better on the ball at Dortmund, during the summer they worked on his weaker foot and against Frankfurt he already cut in on his right and delivered a pretty good shot. So while at the moment he solves a lot of situations by being a freak of nature, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to adjust to a loss of pace in the future. Playing in sort of a Diamond under Rose could help him develop his all around game a lot. His determination and mind set seems to be as exceptional as his physical traits. It's actually frightening how perfect he is in many regards.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wait, are people really using Jerome Boateng as argument to downplay the defensive side of the Bundesliga?

The guy developed into his prime at Bayern, which saw him become a undeniable world class CB. He was a pivotal part in one of the most dominant CL sides in history, which met their sole real resistance in the final vs. another German club, went on to win a world cup as a starter, got screwed over by injuries but still featured as a key player in another CL winning campaign in 2020. Boateng in his prime would have walked into any EPL side with relative ease.

This whole argument about Haaland not being able to replicate his form in the EPL feels identical to people on here dismissing Aubameyang, a striker that relies even more on pace, joining Arsenal back in early 2018. I lost count on how many people predicted with full confidence of him hitting a wall because "EPL defenders don´t allow the space he needs". 32 goals and 8 assists in his 1,5 EPL seasons alone let them grow quiet very quickly.

Erling Haaland is a 21 years young mega talent with the build, talent and most importantly hunger to become the best CF of his generation. The guy already developed his overall game by leaps and bounds in his 1,5 years at Dortmund, showing immense improvement in off the ball movement, usuage of his weaker foot and passing game. Turns out Dortmund is pretty good in polishing top talents into world class players, who knew?

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich

His record in the CL is even better.
Some of you guys are serioulsy overrating the PL, just watched United yesterday, Leeds defence was horrendous :lol:

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
Leeds plays a far more Pressing oriented German Style, I don`t think they are an average PL side.

Pressing is just a risk vs reward ting. Of course, you could just hide all your players in the box as a lower-level PL side. But if you lose 0:1 is just as bad as loosing 1:4. The question is, are you winning more with this style or are you losing more? It`s not like every German teams does that, either.
Is you lose the Ball in a pressing moment and the gegenpress also fails, it`s more a thing if the other team fecks up the counter than you defending well.

Frankfurt did press high because that tents to work well against Dortmund in the last 3-4 years. Former Dortmund lost the ball in their half or in their own box. The reason it didn`t work this time is not only Haaland. Dortmund defence made up of third tier players has been quite okay building up the game and the new goalkeeper was exceptional in these high press situations.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
For those complaining about his technique, managing the ball and first/second touch to perfection at his speed and being clinical in front of goal at that speed, is evidence of great technique. Try running at that speed and manage the ball coming from behind you with a perfect first touch, perfect second touch and then time and execute the finish with extreme preciscion almost every single bloody time, while at the same time choosing the correct side and foot. That is not as easy as he makes it look! He also scores with both feet, he chooses the side that gives the best chance for a goal, not like some that always must use their best foot even if that makes them loose time and use a touch too many.

He needs to work on his heading game though. But he will still get better. For years. And that is kind of scary.

Marwood

So you are expecting to spend a whole season with Greenwood as our one and only striker? Yeah makes sense.

Cavani is gone next summer. Martial probably too.
No not really. I think we'll go with Greenwood and buy a different striker as a backup. Or keep Martial. It's not Haaland or nothing is it?

If we were to sign Haaland amd presumably he's here for around 5 years, playing most of the games, where do you play Greenwood?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I generally agree with the technique part but recently I've been very impressed by his ability to beat defenders. He's not the agile, silky low center of gravity type of dribbler but he gets past them quite regularly and I'd argue even more so than Lewandowski. And against Frankfurt, he even showed some nice skill moves, even though he's not the easiest on the eye. I remember a croqueta for instance. Lewandowski's first touch is something else though.

Strelok

No not really. I think we'll go with Greenwood and buy a different striker as a backup. Or keep Martial. It's not Haaland or nothing is it?

If we were to sign Haaland amd presumably he's here for around 5 years, playing most of the games, where do you play Greenwood?
The better player plays.

I love Mason but I love United more. I don't mind having both then keep the better one. We may sell Mason with a buy back clause just in case Haaland is another Ibra. Or sell Haaland for +150m to whoever can afford him, obviously except our rivals.

James Peril

He's managing Manchester United and doing a great job.
Titles are around the corner :devil:
Literally zero titles delivered. Imagine this team with a proper manager with the ability to build set, attacking patterns.. now that would be great stuff.

Amarsdd

Literally zero titles delivered. Imagine this team with a proper manager with the ability to build set, attacking patterns.. now that would be great stuff.
Remember and compare the prospects of our team two and a half years ago vs now ..