Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He surely must have a low release? Or else I can't see why Dortmund would want him for anything north of £50m. Could be wrong but for Dortmund to sign him for the huge figures bandied about would go against their modus operandi.

He surely has a release clause.
The CEO of Leipzig confirmed his low release clause on German TV show "Doppelpass" last sunday.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've yet to see one person claim we don't need Haaland because we have Martial.

I honestly think that people made this narrative up and others have just jumped aboard, as per usual Red Cafe behavior.
I’d suggest reading the whole thread, it’s there

Lynty

I’d suggest reading the whole thread, it’s there
Tried last week. Just ran another search for the word 'Martial' in this thread. Can't see anything, not even quotes.

Closest I got was:

...Looks like fans are going crazy for this guy, he’s not got the ability to hold the ball up Martial has, so can’t really be a back up to him. He does look like he’ll have a very good conversion rate and score a lot of goals, but in our set up I don’t see where he’d fit in. Ole would have the make major changes to incorporate him into the starting 11.
I'll keep searching because i'm at work and slacking, but i still think it's made up.

redshaw

Probably has a clause and in effect it's like the De Ligt sale with Ajax wanting a reasonable fee and not just the highest bidder. The player will go to the right club for a nominal fee.

Suvvernmanc

The rumours are strong today linking a move to Juventus. Some more reputable papers are picking up today's rumours and running with it.

Just been reading the juventuz forum. Some over there think he wouldn't be a starter unless Higuain leaves or maybe Bernardeschi and then play a slightly different Formation.

Hopefully the rumours are just that.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Tried last week. Just ran another search for the word 'Martial' in this thread. Can't see anything, not even quotes.

Closest I got was:

I'll keep searching because i'm at work and slacking, but i still think it's made up.
Nope, Haalands signing being detrimental to Martial and Greenwood has definitely been brought up by several posters here, as an argument for why we should focus on a Midfielder. Because in this day and age, we can't do both at the same time possibly.

Lynty

OK, I trawled through the thread and found a few:

If Martial performs up top then no need to sign anyone because Greenwood can be integrated. If we sign a experienced striker who can help in cup games and a few league games then even better.

We already need to spend money on RW, 2 CM's minimum and our history is 2/3 transfers per season
A fair comment. Hesitant on the impact on more pressing signings. Also an 'if' Martial performs.

We need to bring in a striker in January who has the potential to get 10-15 goals for the rest of the season if we want to push back into the CL positions. Ole's win percentage with and without Martial shows our lack of depth. Haaland could eventually be world class but might not settle into the team until he has a pre-season under his belt.

We have enough potential in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood but we need someone with a proven record of consistent seasons to get us through this season.
This guy would prefer a more mature, experienced striker with a goal record proven over consistent seasons. Fair comment at the time.

Care to explain if people think Martial is doing such a great job as striker, why we need to spend 60m on this young one?
Not clear on where this one stands. This again, was before people were aware of his apparent release clause. So i'd say the reservation is in the expected transfer cost.

Swap Martial for Haaland as the number 9 in this current team and we would be worse
This one is interesting. I think this is in reference to Martial's link up play, and its hard to disagree, but doesn't mean we shouldn't sign Haaland.

This. Signing Haaland would most likely mean he or Martial would start as sub, at this stage why would he move to be a sub?

We need a CF that is basically happy to be a back up to Martial which is why a player like Mandzukic makes sense.

With James form at RW and Greenwood's potential, the biggest opening for a starting slot is at number 10, that is where our budget should be going for me (and why links with Maddison make sense).
Ye, this one probably fits.

This will stall Martial's development so I'm not really sure about it. Even worse if he'll want a number 9.
This was from page 100, and an obvious WUM.

Lynty

Last day at work, no intentions of doing anything so I need to look busy at my computer :lol:

Red_toad

Closest I got was:

I didn't say we don't need him! So not even close.

Lynty

I didn't say we don't need him! So not even close.
Agreed.

To be honest, I don't think anyone has really said "we don't need him because of Martial". It's usually more like "Martial will do for now, I'd prefer the budget to be spent..." - which is saying the finances are a deciding factor.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agreed.

To be honest, I don't think anyone has really said "we don't need him because of Martial". It's usually more like "Martial will do for now, I'd prefer the budget to be spent..." - which is saying the finances are a deciding factor.
Clearly you haven't read @DoomSlayers posts

Lynty

I just don't see how it is appropriate for the club to spend a huge amount of money on a striker that requires service when the majority of fans have been complaining about the lack of creativity and chances created.

Like I said, spending £30 million on Haaland would be fine with me. But the quoted fees at the moment are insane in my opinion and would only hinder our ability to strengthen the areas that truly need it.
Sounds reasonable

Red_toad

Agreed.

We do need someone who gets into the box and onto the end of crosses, but we're set up where we need a striker who can hold up the ball and bring others into play. It would need a major restructuring of the team to allow Haaland to play, that would greatly impact our midfield (which isn't great as it is), then we'd concede more goals and create less.
It’s a catch 22 situation, we’d need to improve our fullbacks and midfield at the same time, which as we all know is highly unlikely to happen.

DoomSlayer

Trust me, he's said a lot of other shite
@ me next time (properly), big man. You are one of the biggest agenda posters on the forum so it's laughable to see you trying to belittle other members of the Caf.

Just look at your tagline, even the mods are making fun of you, yet you have no shame and never stop with the BS.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
@ me next time (properly), big man. You are one of the biggest agenda posters on the forum so it's laughable to see you trying to belittle other members of the Caf.

Just look at your tagline, even the mods are making fun of you, yet you have no shame and never stop with the BS.
:lol: such a keyboard warrior

DoomSlayer

:lol: such a keyboard warrior
Are you really saying this? Look at your pathetic attempt to put my opinions down on this thread to make yourself look like a tough guy. Is Haaland so precious to you that every different opinion hurts your feelings?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are you really saying this? Look at your pathetic attempt to put my opinions down on this thread to make yourself look like a tough guy. Is Haaland so precious to you that every different opinion hurts your feelings?
Nothing hurt my feelings. I can dig up posts where I've given constructive criticism of Martial, where I even caveat he is talented in the same post... and you quote me because I said something bad with the good.. calling me a "martial hater" or a "martial basher".

Seems like you're the forever offended one, trying to claim Haaland would definately cost £80m and shouldn't displace Martial. It's all in your posts. No one knows of any fee yet, but you've clipped on to one £80m rumour to drive an agenda against him. It's clear you think its binary as Haaland or Martial, which is laughable at this stage:

Martial is at an age where he would want to play almost every game. It's not about competition, it's about his career and it's perfectly understandable. Mourinho fecked around with him far too much, he can't afford not playing due to "competition" in the face of an £80 million signing who would basically have to play straight away because of his price tag.
And your bias against Haaland, who you clearly haven't followed as a players hows in this post:
Watch him come here and become Peter Crouch because we don't use doping at United. Another area in which we are behind the times for fecks sake.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The rumours are strong today linking a move to Juventus. Some more reputable papers are picking up today's rumours and running with it.

Just been reading the juventuz forum. Some over there think he wouldn't be a starter unless Higuain leaves or maybe Bernardeschi and then play a slightly different Formation.

Hopefully the rumours are just that.
Out of the 4 clubs Juve seem to make the very least sense. Only reason he wants to move there is the star power of Ronaldo. For me this is just the agent leaking rumours again trying to drive up the price as per usual.

DoomSlayer

Nothing hurt my feelings. I can dig up posts where I've given constructive criticism of Martial, where I even caveat he is talented in the same post... and you quote me because I said something bad with the good.. calling me a "martial hater" or a "martial basher".

Seems like you're the forever offended one, trying to claim Haaland would definately cost £80m and shouldn't displace Martial. It's all in your posts. No one knows of any fee yet, but you've clipped on to one £80m rumour to drive an agenda against him:

And your bias against Haaland, who you clearly haven't followed as a players hows in this post:
I have a strong affinity to Martial, but I have been criticising him in his thread recently, I'm not blind to his bad performances and tendencies. My argument always was give Martial a chance to prove himself and he isn't exactly doing that at the moment, unfortunately for the team because we need more from our number 9.

I have also not been involved in this thread for some time, circumstances and new information can change someone's opinion, or do you not understand that? If the price is right, get Haaland, but also get a CM and a CAM, because we need creative players.

The last point is truly hilarious, because that post was clearly made sarcastically and in jest. I can't believe I have to explain that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have a strong affinity to Martial, but I have been criticising him in his thread recently, I'm not blind to his bad performances and tendencies. My argument always was give Martial a chance to prove himself and he isn't exactly doing that at the moment, unfortunately for the team because we need more from our number 9.

I have also not been involved in this thread for some time, circumstances and new information can change someone's opinion, or do you not understand that? If the price is right, get Haaland, but also get a CM and a CAM, because we need creative players.

The last point is truly hilarious, because that post was clearly made sarcastically and in jest. I can't believe I have to explain that.
It's immaterial, I was simply using your posts to explain how others in the caf do use Martial as a reason not to pursue Haaland.

DoomSlayer

It's immaterial, I was simply using your posts to explain how others in the caf do use Martial as a reason not to pursue Haaland.
And @Lynty quoted a post of mine that was balanced, to which your reply was basically calling me a shit poster. Not sure what your purpose was with that, other than take a jibe at me.

Don't want to continue with this, let's get some transfers done for reasonable prices in January and be done with it. If Haaland is one of them, that's great, but we need more creativity, it's quite obvious.

peridigm

Sitting hear drinking my first gin and tonic for the day. It just dawned on me that if Haaland is wanting insurances that Ole is going to have a job for the time coming, he should have already made his mind up since any other manager would have been sacked by now.

dev1l

Out of the 4 clubs Juve seem to make the very least sense. Only reason he wants to move there is the star power of Ronaldo. For me this is just the agent leaking rumours again trying to drive up the price as per usual.
Not so sure about that. At Juventus he can have best of both worlds....a less demanding league in which he can continue to progress without losing the bumper wage. (Apparently Juventus salary offer matches ours)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sitting hear drinking my first gin and tonic for the day. It just dawned on me that if Haaland is wanting insurances that Ole is going to have a job for the time coming, he should have already made his mind up since any other manager would have been sacked by now.
What sort of insurance is available?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And @Lynty quoted a post of mine that was balanced, to which your reply was basically calling me a shit poster. Not sure what your purpose was with that, other than take a jibe at me.

Don't want to continue with this, let's get some transfers done for reasonable prices in January and be done with it. If Haaland is one of them, that's great, but we need more creativity, it's quite obvious.
Because you kept banging on about it being only him vs Martial, and calling him Crouch and so on. Anyway you can hide by the "it was meant in jest" reasoning, I don't really care. Lets move on.

SATA

He’s signing for United if we are offering him 200K per week. Juve won’t and can’t match that and nobody says no to more money

lysglimt

Scout
What a stupid and pathetic way for him/her to interpret or twist what I wrote. He/her can’t even quote where
1) I said Norway will never produce a world class player and
2) Norway not in the past producing world class players was my reason for being against signing Haaland.

I have an opinion on the player, that’s my right if the person doesn’t agree with it that’s their right. But it’s rather sad when people resort to distorting what I’ve written. Becomes genuinely pathetic when they block me so I can’t quote them directly to call them out on their lies.
Martin Ødegaard is laughing at you right now

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not so sure about that. At Juventus he can have best of both worlds....a less demanding league in which he can continue to progress without losing the bumper wage. (Apparently Juventus salary offer matches ours)
The whole idea of him moving to a lesser club was so that he could play regularly And get plenty of minutes to develop. They’ve got dybala on the bench ffs, Haaland isn’t going to play more than 1/3 of a season there.

if they’re really considering Juve then every other club is open.

personally I think all this is just the papers filling news columns.The Italians had some united fans thinking Mandzukic was signing JAN 1st :lol: now he’s In Qatar...

M16Red

Just about start my drink of choice, I'm hoping we can get this guy in. I think Martial isn't a 9 more a left forward or 10, we need this man child - good in the air and in the six yard box. Do whats right Ole bring this guy in..

Status
Not open for further replies.