Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

Why on earth didn't we ramp up our interest prior to him joining Salzburg and subsequently massively increasing his market value? Ole was even Haaland's coach, for Pete's sake. You couldn't make this up.

DoomSlayer

Why on earth didn't we ramp up our interest prior to him joining Salzburg and subsequently massively increasing his market value? Ole was even Haaland's coach, for Pete's sake. You couldn't make this up.
Apparently a few years ago, Ole invited United scouts to watch Molde and Haaland in particular. I saw that somewhere but not sure if it's true.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Ole knows him so well already, why did he (reportedly) send his most trusted scout to look at him again? Athletic look to be scraping the bowl to give something close to newsworthy.

M Bison

Supports
York City
If Ole knows him so well already, why did he (reportedly) send his most trusted scout to look at him again? Athletic look to be scraping the bowl to give something close to newsworthy.
If we are progressing towards signing him, I’d assume sending the top scout is part of the process, DD on the player and a written report to support the purchase or something of that nature.

Purely a guess but I suspect we couldn’t sign a player purely on Ole’s recommendation.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Can you please tell me what other talents the CAF’s called generational talents the last few years?
If you’ve followed this thread and his thread on the football forum, you’ll see that I have followed him closely since he was at Molde and I have used the word. It might not do him any favours, but in my 40 years of playing and following football I can count on one hand the times I have been this excited about a young player. His skill set is that unique. He has tools no one else has. If you think Martial as our #9 will win us the PL or CL, you are just wrong. This guy might, and securing his signature would be the best signing we have done in a long, long time, and would be worth the risk.
The Caf calls every exciting young player the next big thing. "Generational talent" is just the latest way of expressing that hyperbole.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we are progressing towards signing him, I’d assume sending the top scout is part of the process, DD on the player and a written report to support the purchase or something of that nature.

Purely a guess but I suspect we couldn’t sign a player purely on Ole’s recommendation.
Sounds like unnecessary paperwork for a player who is so blatant in terms of talent. I'd understand it for lesser known players.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Because no top club in their right mind would sign a player based solely on the manager's opinion? If Solskjaer want him then other people will have to be convinced too, which should involve extensive scouting.

Brophs

The One and Only
I too insult peoples appearance when I'm unhappy about the choices I made so far in life.
You’re absolutely right. That was a genuine insult and not just a daft gag about his combed hair and rosy cheeks.

roseguy64

Which aligns with the new recruitment system in place. Solskjaer wants as many recommendations as possible so the others on the committee can agree that the player needs to be signed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because no top club in their right mind would sign a player based solely on the manager's opinion? If Solskjaer want him then other people will have to be convinced too, which should involve extensive scouting.
But its not solely on his opinion, is it? This is a player on the radar of a host of top clubs and currently the leading goalscorer of the Champions League campaign. If he was interested in a player unheard of I'd understand such a process.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But its not solely on his opinion, is it? This is a player on the radar of a host of top clubs and currently the leading goalscorer of the Champions League campaign. If he was interested in a player unheard of I'd understand such a process.
I would imagine (and certainly hope) that the signing of any player (no matter how famous) would have to be bolstered by extensive scouting before it was signed off on.

Forget the football side of things and just look at it as the multi-million pound financial transaction it is. It might not seem like it from the outside but if it is a bad buy then there are repercussions, just like any other industry. As such;, player purchases shouldn't be sanctioned without actual evidence of due dillegence having been carried out. Doing otherwise would be an insane way to run a business. Whether the coaching staff actually learn anything from that scouting is neither here nor there, it still needs to be done.

Also keep in mind that the 17 year old Haaland Solskjær knows so well is a very different player from the 19 year old Haaland of today. He has made some huge leaps forward in his game, and has added attributes that he just didn't possess in Molde. Of course United will scout him thoroughly, through different peoples eyes, before make a decision to splash out 50-100 million pounds.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's silly. The manager is the peak of the United's footballing pyramid. I doubt Sir Alex needed to persuade his brother before buying a player he wanted.

DSG

:lol: what makes you think I want to be a football scout? You don't need to be a scout to see what his strengths are. I'm quite happy with my day job so won't be quitting. Seriously you really are a miserable freak aren't you?

He's clearly a good player with good potential, but has his limitations , but since you are a fan boy you can't see any limitations to his game.

His skill set is suited as the spear head centre forward, clearly a system we have moved away from when Ole sold Lukaku. Now pipe down.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now with the name calling. Well done, lad. I can see why you’d want to keep your day job... flipping burgers allows you to save your impressive mental acuity for spouting lame opinions in the Caf.

As I said in my previous post, if you can’t see that a 195cm CF with pace burn (clocked at 36 mph, as fast as Rashford) and excellent movement and positioning in the box is useful to us, than I can’t help you, mate.

Zlatattack

This response is unnecessary. I specifically wrote that I’m not disagreeing with the signing, it was more of an observation.

I’ll never understand why some posters feel the need to respond in such an argumentative way.
Didn't mean to come across argumentative.

There must be some irony here somewhere, me arguing about not being argumentative.

Cathy Ferguson

I do not rate Rashford as a top class no 9 as we saw when Martial was out injured.

The jury is still out when it comes to Martial, can he bag 20-25 league goals a season? Highly doubtful.

Håland is a super talent and unless the club thinks his transfer will block Greenwood's development we must do everything we can to sign Håland, preferrably already in January.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would imagine (and certainly hope) that the signing of any player (no matter how famous) would have to be bolstered by extensive scouting before it was signed off on.

Forget the football side of things and just look at it as the multi-million pound financial transaction it is. It might not seem like it from the outside but if it is a bad buy then there are repercussions, just like any other industry. As such;, player purchases shouldn't be sanctioned without actual evidence of due dillegence having been carried out. Doing otherwise would be an insane way to run a business. Whether the coaching staff actually learn anything from that scouting is neither here nor there, it still needs to be done.
Again, if we were speaking about generic lesser known players then sure. I'm not saying Haaland hasn't been scouted by us. I think it's obvious he has, not just during Ole's time here but by Ole himself before that. So sending a chief scout sounds like it's not really newsworthy nor an indication that we are about to launch a bid or anything. We just sent a scout, it doesn't really mean much.

Mailo

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now with the name calling. Well done, lad. I can see why you’d want to keep your day job... flipping burgers allows you to save your impressive mental acuity for spouting lame opinions in the Caf.

As I said in my previous post, if you can’t see that a 195cm CF with pace burn (clocked at 36 mph, as fast as Rashford) and excellent movement and positioning in the box is useful to us, than I can’t help you, mate.
We have to buy this guy. This guy runs with leopards and lions, catching zebras and wildebeests

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Mirror claims:
Paper Talk

• Manchester United are weighing up a £200m double January transfer swoop for Jadon Sancho and Erling-Braut Haaland.
  • Manchester United are among the sides leading the charge to sign Sporting Kansas City wonderkid Gianluca Busio.
My guess is we'll bit fourpence ha'penny and then be surprised when we don't get any of them... :devil::lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's silly. The manager is the peak of the United's footballing pyramid. I doubt Sir Alex needed to persuade his brother before buying a player he wanted.
SAF was an anachronistic remainder of bygone time and hasn't been here for the guts of a decade.There have already been articles outlining our decision making structure in terms of transfers and the manager certainly isn't all powerful, just as they aren't at pretty much any other current top club. Rightly so too, as spending millions based one guy's whims would be an irresponsible way to run an organisation.

Dante

Average bang

Yep.

No modern business would ever green light the spending of millions of pounds without going through the proper steps of governance.

Anybody who's worked in business will tell you that.

The Bebe signing was sanctioned on the word of one scout. I would imagine that United's internal auditors put strict procedures in place after that debacle.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Sounds like unnecessary paperwork for a player who is so blatant in terms of talent. I'd understand it for lesser known players.
It’s appropriate governance I think and would make sense. It’s effectively a Business case for a capital transaction which is how all well run businesses operate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s appropriate governance I think and would make sense. It’s effectively a Business case for a capital transaction which is how all well run businesses operate.
I'm not saying there should be no governance, but like many structures it appears bureaucratic at this stage. We've clearly monitored him for months and Ole has since before his tenure as Man Utd manager.

Canagel

Don't want. The only attackers that should be considered are those that fit in the fluid interchangeable system. It make zero sense to buy a target man and accomadate everyone to service him when weve already started putting the building blocks in place for fluid football. We already moved away from that by selling Lukaku, this will just be the next in long line of transfers without no thinking behind them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't want. The only attackers that should be considered are those that fit in the fluid interchangeable system. It make zero sense to buy a target man and accomadate everyone to service him when weve already started putting the building blocks in place for fluid football. We already moved away from that by selling Lukaku, this will just be the next in long line of transfers without no thinking behind them.
He's not Lukaku though

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
He is far from a target man! In fact he is closer to a poacher than he is a target man, but he isn't a poacher either. Imo he is what you could call a complete striker. There are a few things he needs to work on, but he's still young and has every chance of improving.

Lemansky

Has he played for Norway yet?

Noticed he wasn't in the squad in the last game.
He was going to start the last game, pulled out of warm up with an injury. Our national team has more hype now then ever before. So many good talents coming through.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Has he played for Norway yet?

Noticed he wasn't in the squad in the last game.
Thankfully managed to cap him moments before the hype train left the station in September. England would have been all over him if we had waited until October.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is no manager in football that enjoys Sir Alex's control of a club like he did. And he had his fair share of hickups as well.

Bebe.

Lemansky

Thankfully managed to cap him moments before the hype train left the station in September. England would have been all over him if we had waited until October.
He would have declared for Norway regardless. One thing is certain. With regards to his next career move he will choose the place that has the best development path for him. City, Barca, Juve etc won’t be seriously considered imo. We are big favourites for his signing and many of the reasons already mentioned here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There is no manager in football that enjoys Sir Alex's control of a club like he did. And he had his fair share of hickups as well.

Bebe.
The manager is still on top of the pyramid regarding football matters.

Ps bebe is the only player SAF bought out of purely scouts suggestion.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Don't cry about name calling now since the way you've been wading into the thread,its not really name calling either, you're acting really strange in this thread. What's wrong with flipping burgers? You weirdo.

Lukaku has those attributes too. If you can't see difference between a Drogba type forward (target, focal point) and say a Firmino or Neymar, there's no point discussing this further as you really don't have a clue.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The Mirror claims:
Paper Talk

• Manchester United are weighing up a £200m double January transfer swoop for Jadon Sancho and Erling-Braut Haaland.
  • Manchester United are among the sides leading the charge to sign Sporting Kansas City wonderkid Gianluca Busio.
My guess is we'll bit fourpence ha'penny and then be surprised when we don't get any of them... :devil::lol:
This myth that we're not prepared to spend big on a player who we think is worth it needs to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.