Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And if it is a choice between the two, due to financial constraints, we should priorities signing Haaland, we can find a lesser replacement of Sancho in many players, but once in a generation talent like Haaland is hard to come by.
Sancho seems more that sort of talent to me.

He'sRaldo

A challenge for the sceptics:
Give me one example of a 19 year old in a top flight anywhere that has delivered a goal/assist ratio of 2,25/90 minutes over the course of 18 games (including CL) or more.
Isn't that the point? That this form is most likely unsustainable, hence shouldn't be portrayed as his true level?

If he maintains that ratio until the next season and beyond (especially if he moves to a better league), then fair enough. But I don't think that will happen.

Last edited:

DSG

:lol: how miserable are you? I suggest you crawl back into that whale and stay there. I've watched all his CL games this season and all the goals he's scored domestically. Nothing you wrote refutes what I said.

Just because he plays in a high press 433 doesn't mean he's an interchangeable player who works the wings etc in a fluid front line .
Okay, now I’m actually more worried about you as a football aficionado. If you’ve watched his CL matches as well as his RBS matches, then you don’t have a future as a football scout, mate. Don’t quit your day job. If you can’t see it, then there is nothing I can say or do that would convince you. Clearly, you are in the minority here.

Regarding the high press 4-3-3, if you truly understand the CF role in that system, you’ll agree that he has all of the attributes to be successful.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So get someone shitter then?

Is that you Ed?
Really?? So last summer when we were targeting Ben Yedder(currently ligue 1 top scorer) to be a back up striker you wouldn't have signed him? Because apparently now you need to be scoring hatricks every match before you're considered a good striker. There can be good back ups aka Ben Yedder and there can be back ups to just fill space on the bench aka Boetang for Barca last season. If you think I'm talking about getting the latter then you can't read

DSG

Are some of you in here so dumb that you can't see that nobody is saying that we should not get a striker in January. What I've been saying and will keep on saying is this. We have Martial who has just been given no.9 Ole has trusted him to lead our line and so far he has been doing exactly this. All our attacks revolve around him. We've been saying Martial has world class potential and finally this is the first time we might actually see Martial for a full season as a striker to be able to judge whether he actually has that potential.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't get a striker in January. I'm saying we shouldn't get Haaland. He's going to be costly considering the holes we have to fill. He's going to want to start and this is me considering Martials form which our attack currently revolves around. Once again I'm basing all this on Martials current form and if he should continue like this then Haaland isn't needed but a back up option. Someone comfortable on the bench but can deliver when called upon.

Give Martial this season to prove himself heck give him till January... We still have about 12 games to go before the January window opens. All I'm saying is Martial is world class potential and this could be the season he finally proves it. But this won't happen if we sign Haaland. Which is why come January we should go for a cheaper option that can still perform when called.

If Martial fails then by all means we can get Haaland or Kane or any world class striker. However if Ole opts to sign Haaland then I will be delighted because I know Ole would have a plan for both Haaland and Martial and even Greenwood since he speaks highly of the three of them
Actually, I’m saying we should buy Haaland. I’ve seen enough.

Martial has been with us for 4 years. While he has been brilliant at times, he’s also been injured, disinterested, and basically inconsistent. Has his resurgence been exciting the last few matches? Yes! Will he win top scorer in the PL? Probably not. Europe Golden Boot? No. If we want to get back to winning the league, contending for the CL, then he’s not good enough. So, why are we wasting time? We should look for generational players, like SAF did, and cut bait when we realize some players are not good enough to take us where we want to go.

DSG

A challenge for the sceptics:
Give me one example of a 19 year old in a top flight anywhere that has delivered a goal/assist ratio of 2,25/90 minutes over the course of 18 games (including CL) or more.
Brazilian Ronaldo scored 35 in 36 for PSV when he was 19.

The Dutch league was a bit better back then. Regardless, when you are comparing Haaland to a unicorn, you potentially do have an outlier. Alcacer on Dortmund had a purple patch the beginning of last season that was similar. But you have to evaluate the entire package, the pace, the size, the movement in the box. Haaland is different, and you can see it almost immediately. At least, I can.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Signing him would surely send a big message to Greenwood, he’s only a year older and pushes him further down the pecking order.

Not saying I disagree with the potential signing but it does push Mason further away from the starting 11

Delano

Signing him would surely send a big message to Greenwood, he’s only a year older and pushes him further down the pecking order.

Not saying I disagree with the potential signing but it does push Mason further away from the starting 11
I get your point, but I think Greenwood is destined to go the Henry/RVP route of starting his career on the wing before moving into the middle. He has the chance to make the right hand side his own.

On this signing, it makes loads of sense. With Rashford doing well on the left we really need another proper striker in the mix. Without Martial we struggle big time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Not really. You need 2 players for every position these days with so many matches. If you want to keep playing at a high level you have to have high quality replacements ready to step in.

We could have a team of Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood one match, then Rashford, Greenwood, Haaland, Sancho for the midweek game.

Keep them rotating and healthy. Injuries will happen also. Remember the start of the season? Ole tried to do it this way, but quickly found out our depth below the first 11 is horrible.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I’m amazed by how many people still live in a dream world. Yes Ole spent loads on two players but he wasn’t able to bring in any midfielders or strikers despite us being desperate for them. That money was also offset by selling Lukaku, who like Fellaini and Herrera wasn’t replaced.

Like I said we’ll sell Pogba and Ole will get 50-70m on top of that to spend at best. If he chooses to spend it on 2 or 5 players that’s up to him. But he’s not going to get given more and more to sign all these players. It’s same nonsense in media every January and every Summer.
I have no love for the Glazers, but them being stingy is a myth. Jose spent 300 million net while he was here and LvG spent 200 in his two years in charge. Only City have spent more on us on transfers since 2013 so its not like there havent been money available.

The problem is that Jose and LvG spunked all that money on mostly terrible transfers and have very little to show for it today

Judas

Open to offers
And if it is a choice between the two, due to financial constraints, we should priorities signing Haaland, we can find a lesser replacement of Sancho in many players, but once in a generation talent like Haaland is hard to come by.
Far too early for that sort of talk, don’t you think? I know this place likes to go big on praise for young talents, but it’s still very early days for him.

DoomSlayer

I have no love for the Glazers, but them being stingy is a myth. Jose spent 300 million net while he was here and LvG spent 200 in his two years in charge. Only City have spent more on us on transfers since 2013 so its not like there havent been money available.

The problem is that Jose and LvG spunked all that money on mostly terrible transfers and have very little to show for it today
And that's exactly the reason we won't be spending so lavishly anymore.

We have to start admitting it - we are not the richest club in the world, there are 4 clubs who undoubtedly can spend more than us and arguably 5 more who could get better players than us due to achieving more than us in the recent years.

The club has wasted a criminal amount of money, so unless we start seriously competing very soon or the Saudi takeover happens, we are not going to spend a lot of money anymore. And fans will have to learn that the hard way, because people still live in Football Manager dreamland and showcase their teams with all these unrealistic signings.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
And that's exactly the reason we won't be spending so lavishly anymore.

We have to start admitting it - we are not the richest club in the world, there are 4 clubs who undoubtedly can spend more than us and arguably 5 more who could get better players than us due to achieving more than us in the recent years.

The club has wasted a criminal amount of money, so unless we start seriously competing very soon or the Saudi takeover happens, we are not going to spend a lot of money anymore. And fans will have to learn that the hard way, because people still live in Football Manager dreamland and showcase their teams with all these unrealistic signings.
Our finances now are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, and much better than they were 10 years ago. In 2018 we had a revenue of 590 million pounds, and the debt has decreased to only 250 million pounds. I really know feck all about business finances, but i'd imagine you get some sort of tax benefits from having some debt. Its quite different to right after the Glazer takover when our revenue barely covered the interest rates from that massive debt they put on us

Honestly i think there is money available, and i am just speculating here, but i think slashing the wage bill has been more of a concern than there not being money available for new players. Reportedly, Inter wants to sign Sanchez permanently which is a minor miracle and will free up some wages. Hopefully more of the deadwood is moved on soon, and we can make room for players who are actually contributing on the pitch and is not being paid just to sit on their arses every weekended

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Our finances now are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, and much better than they were 10 years ago. In 2018 we had a revenue of 590 million pounds, and the debt has decreased to only 250 million pounds. I really know feck all about business finances, but i'd imagine you get some sort of tax benefits from having some debt. Its quite different to right after the Glazer takover when our revenue barely covered the interest rates from that massive debt they put on us

Honestly i think there is money available, and i am just speculating here, but i think slashing the wage bill has been more of a concern than there not being money available for new players. Reportedly, Inter wants to sign Sanchez permanently which is a minor miracle and will free up some wages. Hopefully more of the deadwood is moved on soon, and we can make room for players who are actually contributing on the pitch and is not being paid just to sit on their arses every weekended
Signing Haaland could save the Glazers a fortune over the next decade anyway.

Signing a 19 year old who you can get 10 years from is a no brainer if we think he is going to be a 20+ goal a season striker.

Ole:
"When you get players in, you need the right ones that are going to stay here for a long period of time and that's the long-term thinking we have to show.

"There were strikers available but not the ones we wanted. We couldn't get the one we wanted (in the summer)."

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

People suggesting we should not sign Haaland but a back up striker willing to play on the bench. What back up strikers do you have in mind?

troylocker

Isn't that the point? That this form is most likely unsustainable, hence shouldn't be portrayed as his true level?

If he maintains that ratio until the next season and beyond (especially if he moves to a better league), then fair enough. But I don't think that will happen.
If those numbers showed his consistant true level he would be the goat of all times when it comes to G/A contribution per 90 already.
There is slim to no chance that he will keep up these numbers, and going to a tougher league will obviously take those numbers down.

Point is that when a young player starts breaking records every week and doing stuff that has not been done before, it should open your eyes. He hasn’t scored any worldies or dribbled past 5 players with magical close control and a bag full of tricks, he has scored 25 of 26 goals from inside the box mostly on his first touch, so watching his goalshow videos doesn’t show you much of what he can do, except putting the ball in the back of the net. You actually need to see more of him to understand what he is about. Averaging on 2,25 goals or assists per 90 minutes in a topflight and CL over a course of 18 games isn’t just great, it is recordbreakingly hard to grasp. And he is 19 with physical attributes we haven’t seen before when it comes to speed, strenghet and size. He is the real deal guys, deal with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
People suggesting we should not sign Haaland but a back up striker willing to play on the bench. What back up strikers do you have in mind?
Exactly. Nobody really wants that role, and if they do, it's probably because they're getting on a bit and/or not good enough.

Zlatan or Mandzukic have been mentioned previously. They don't answer any of our problems and are just stop-gaps. We've had 6 years of poor choices and stop-gaps. I'd rather we had a shite season if it meant there was a coherent future plan. If Ole goes out and gets either of those two, it sort of pisses all over everything he's been saying in the last 12 months of believing in young players and building for the future.

IrishRedDevil

So how would him, Martial and Rashford line up?

We have settled with Martial as the No.9 and Rashford on the left. Would that be changed again to accommodate Haaland?

Seems like more unnecessary upheaval to me.

troylocker

Really?? So last summer when we were targeting Ben Yedder(currently ligue 1 top scorer) to be a back up striker you wouldn't have signed him? Because apparently now you need to be scoring hatricks every match before you're considered a good striker. There can be good back ups aka Ben Yedder and there can be back ups to just fill space on the bench aka Boetang for Barca last season. If you think I'm talking about getting the latter then you can't read
Ben Yedder is 1,7 m tall, 29 years old, scored between 9 and 18 leaguegoals every season since he made it through, he’s been a starter where ever he has been and you expect him to come to us/us to sign him as a back up for Martial in the most physical league in the world?
Decent footballer though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So how would him, Martial and Rashford line up?

We have settled with Martial as the No.9 and Rashford on the left. Would that be changed again to accommodate Haaland?

Seems like more unnecessary upheaval to me.
Martial can happily drop deeper and play as a 10, he often drops to get the ball to feet and dribble at opponents anyway.

Haaland is more of a mobile target man, very similar to RVN.

We would have to learn to play more through the wings in our build up play, but we do that fairly often already as our 10 is pretty useless.

Obviously in bigger matches we will have to choose 1 striker, or swap to a 3-5-2 formation. Whatever suits us best against the opponent.

Basically this is a good problem to have rather than a bad one.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Okay, now I’m actually more worried about you as a football aficionado. If you’ve watched his CL matches as well as his RBS matches, then you don’t have a future as a football scout, mate. Don’t quit your day job. If you can’t see it, then there is nothing I can say or do that would convince you. Clearly, you are in the minority here.

Regarding the high press 4-3-3, if you truly understand the CF role in that system, you’ll agree that he has all of the attributes to be successful.
:lol: what makes you think I want to be a football scout? You don't need to be a scout to see what his strengths are. I'm quite happy with my day job so won't be quitting. Seriously you really are a miserable freak aren't you?

He's clearly a good player with good potential, but has his limitations , but since you are a fan boy you can't see any limitations to his game.

His skill set is suited as the spear head centre forward, clearly a system we have moved away from when Ole sold Lukaku. Now pipe down.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The Mirror state that Erling's preference is Real or Barca.
Barcelona won't buy him he doesn't suit their play style, Real just bought Jovic, so unless they sell him without giving him a chance he won't be going there.

Zlatattack

So? If he's good enough he'll play. We need to stop thinking like a mid table club who aren't in danger of winning anything or relegation. It's in environments like that where young players get preferential treatment. We can't do that nor should we.

Our young players should get some leeway in terms of performances on the pitch, but to get onto the pitch they should have to prove to be the best option that week.

KennyBurner

The way I see it Ole really values Martial probably more than any other player in the squad. his preferred tactic is centered around how fluid our front line is with speed and technique. I think this is all transfer talk and we're not really interested in haaland. Very good talent but then why did we sell lukaku, a better player right now if we were just going back to something similar? We should be more focused on an attacking midfielder and midfield enforcements before anything else.

Martial, rashford, James and greenwood are much better than we give them credit for. We havent gotten the best out of them because we have nonexistent attacking midfielders.

Im not against getting him if its for a reasonable price below 50 million. he hasnt been around for more than a year so we shouldnt buy into the hype of generational talent yet like some of you are already branding.

M Bison

Supports
York City
So? If he's good enough he'll play. We need to stop thinking like a mid table club who aren't in danger of winning anything or relegation. It's in environments like that where young players get preferential treatment. We can't do that nor should we.

Our young players should get some leeway in terms of performances on the pitch, but to get onto the pitch they should have to prove to be the best option that week.
This response is unnecessary. I specifically wrote that I’m not disagreeing with the signing, it was more of an observation.

I’ll never understand why some posters feel the need to respond in such an argumentative way.

The Irish Connection

My one concern about this lad is his first touch. Is he a bit ungainly like Lukaku in that part of his game, something that will be magnified in the premier league?

Would be a good signing still though I think, because he offers something different up front and can finish.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The Mirror state that Erling's preference is Real or Barca.
I also read an article quoting Haaland saying he's been in touch with OGS through text messages recently, and that they have been keeping in touch due to the nature of their relationship with Molde. So if that means something or nothing, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.