Erling Haaland / signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

Both for Molde and RBS, all his games in Austria are streamed live through Norways biggest online newspaper, vg. Tippeligaen is also well covered. I didn’t know much about him before he exploded into the football scene with 4 goals against the league leader, Brann, in the first 21 minutes of the game when he was still 17. I’ve followed him closely ever since. Sometimes you just feel that you’re watching a really special talent, and I’ve got that feeling with this guy, just like I did when I watched R9 in PSV and R7 in the U17 Euro in 2002 to name a couple of examples. Not the same skillset, but equally unique and destined to do great things on the footballfield. Do I still think he is a better #9 than Martial? Yes I do!
To write off a 19 year old after watching one game is just silly.
So if you have watched him for Molde, how was Ole using him at that time? Do you really feel like there's something possible between Ole and Haaland? Cause that link alone would be enough for me to keep Ole ad vitam eternam to make Haaland come. If, that's true, of course.

Gasolin

I wouldn't want to stop the opportunities for someone like Greenwood and Martial but we could do with a 6 yard box striker.

I didn't watch the game but even going by the judgements here, if he's a Lukaku with a better touch and intelligence I'm up for that.

Pogba, James and Rashford would have a field day supplying to someone, who actually spends time in the penalty box.

I'd love for Martial to work long term but sometimes you just need a poacher.
Yeah and we can alternate, not all games are the same.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So if you have watched him for Molde, how was Ole using him at that time? Do you really feel like there's something possible between Ole and Haaland? Cause that link alone would be enough for me to keep Ole ad vitam eternam to make Haaland come. If, that's true, of course.
Tbf wasn't he like 17 then? I doubt if he would use his the same way at 17, 19 or 23.

zenith

He seems like a great talent and would love to have him in the team, though the advertised cost of over 80 million seems far too excessive.

Ideally he'd be someone you let develop by giving regular regular first team opportunities, without the added pressure of being a starter.

He had been a relatively unknown commodity in Europe this far and opponents maybe did not watch him so closely. Yesterday was probably the first time he was under the limelight of the fans and the attention of the dippers and maybe that got to him a little bit.

Still hope we make a move in January but hopefully keeping the cost factor in check, given that we have a lot of other priorities and the budget will have to be carefully spent.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
For the price being reported, we should just get him. He is not the finished article, but the potential is there.

Even at this stage, he would help a lot against the so called lesser teams.

What other options are there for the striker position this January?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Just listening to Ally McCoist, who knows a thing or two about goalscoring, and he echoed what most of the more accurate assessments have stated; He has it all:quick,strong,protects the ball well and can score. He also brought team mates into the game far more than I ever saw Lukaku do. He just needs time to learn.

He's so freaking young but people are expecting a Zlatan and Kane all in one season.
He's be brilliant for Utd but he doesn't need to be a guaranteed starter to show his qualities. He can be allowed to develop without the pressure to win matched single handed.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just listening to Ally McCoist, who knows a thing or two about goalscoring, and he echoed what most of the more accurate assessments have stated; He has it all:quick,strong,protects the ball well and can score. He also brought team mates into the game far more than I ever saw Lukaku do. He just needs time to learn.

He's so freaking young but people are expecting a Zlatan and Kane all in one season.
He's be brilliant for Utd but he doesn't need to be a guaranteed starter to show his qualities. He can be allowed to develop without the pressure to win matched single handed.
Haha, I was listening to that same show. I like Ally -- much more platable than ol' Alan who is almost anachronistic now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I only saw the 2nd half, but from what I saw he looked good.

Only had 1 chance which he could have done better with, but narrowly missed at the near post. The pace and touch to get away from Lovren was good.

What I like the most of him though is the movement. He knows how to position himself perfectly to get space, so many times in the 2nd half his team mates could have passed but got greedy.

He make some lovely forward runs and clearly worried Liverpool with his pace, for the first time in a long time VVD looked like a normal size man, Haaland really is that big also.

No he didn't knock Liverpool out single handedly, but are we really looking for that? I think a lot of people are being very silly with their expectations. Haaland is and will be class. We should get him if there's a chance.

Inigo Montoya

Haha, I was listening to that same show. I like Ally -- much more platable than ol' Alan who is almost anachronistic now.
TBF to Shearer, he was such an almighty goalscorer I don't think he understands why strikers aren't as good which makes him critical.

He's become the Craig Revell-Horwood of football punditry

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A lot of people didn’t want him before, or didn’t buy into the generation talent hype.
Ive seen the reasons they didnt want him. They’re all bad. Look at Caf turning away from a 19 year old kid with a monster season behind him in the CL thats available for 20 million euro

But happen to see Hwang one game and now he’s the new Xavi.

padzilla

Hipster
I'm all for signing him as long it's not prioritised over buying some central midfielders.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ive seen the reasons they didnt want him. They’re all bad. Look at Caf turning away from a 19 year old kid with a monster season behind him in the CL thats available for 20 million euro

But happen to see Hwang one game and now he’s the new Xavi.
People are not rating Hwang due to just one game. He's actually played much better in other games than the one yesterday.

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I like Duvan Zapata, he's a handful. Does that mean the end of Ronaldo at Juve?
ehehe I would very happily welcome Zapata to Juve but wisdom here is it’s United in talks for him right now

Inigo Montoya

ehehe I would very happily welcome Zapata to Juve but wisdom here is it’s United in talks for him right now
He’s 28, very experienced and reminds me of a taller and stronger Chicharito in the way he snaps up half chances in the box

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
People are not rating Hwang due to just one game. He's actually played much better in other games than the one yesterday.
Exactly the same situation with Haaland. Who's still a developing teenager.

I struggle to see the justification for not acquiring the kid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Haaland is 4 years younger and didn't have on/off stints elsewhere where he struggled to make much impact.

Not saying Hwang is a bad player but it's obviously not exactly the same situation as a 19 year old scoring on average one goal every 37 minutes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Haaland I mentioned on here as a very interesting prospect before he even moved to Salzsburg. But in our current situation, if I had to choose between Haaland or Hwang it would be the South Korean for the reasons I've already mentioned.

SplitzMagic

Can you imagine if we had Hwang instead of Pereira this season. With Hwang I believe we would be in the top 4 right now comfortably. We should sign both Haaland and Hwang in january if possible and that partnership has a nice ring to it too.
Their names sound like a foreign boozer/pub - The Hwang & Haaland

John: Oi Gaz, you heading to the Haarls?

Gaz: Yeah I'm looking to get rat faced. Love going the Hwangy

:lol:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
He seems like a great talent and would love to have him in the team, though the advertised cost of over 80 million seems far too excessive.

Ideally he'd be someone you let develop by giving regular regular first team opportunities, without the added pressure of being a starter.

He had been a relatively unknown commodity in Europe this far and opponents maybe did not watch him so closely. Yesterday was probably the first time he was under the limelight of the fans and the attention of the dippers and maybe that got to him a little bit.

Still hope we make a move in January but hopefully keeping the cost factor in check, given that we have a lot of other priorities and the budget will have to be carefully spent.
He reportedly has a 17m release clause.

In any case, I don't think we're gonna get him in Jan or the summer. Apparently he already has his career path mapped out.

I can see him going to RB Leipzig or Dortmund or somewhere like that, where his talent will be nurtured and then he will be sold to a club for a massive fee (with Raiola getting a daft agent's fee)

Adam-Utd

Haaland I mentioned on here as a very interesting prospect before he even moved to Salzsburg. But in our current situation, if I had to choose between Haaland or Hwang it would be the South Korean for the reasons I've already mentioned.
Hwang is very similar to Martial, i'd prefer something a bit different in Haaland.

Havak

Pokemon master
I want us to sign him just because I've thought of a chant :lol:

In the tune of 'Come on Eileen'

"Come on Erling
Oh, we swear by Erling
Can't you see?
He's our goal machine

Pretty blonde locks
He's a fox in the box
Goal machine
Oh, come on Erling"

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hwang is very similar to Martial, i'd prefer something a bit different in Haaland.
Hwang is actually quite different to Martial because he can play both flanks and can play as the second striker #10. Playing in the hole is where he would excell IMO and it he would make our midfield and attack more potent due to his ability in tight spaces along with his ability to create with his vision and penetrative passing. He also plays the game at a very intense level and is great at pressing from the front.

Rajma

I only want us to go for him if he's available for the cut price that is being thrown around (17m release clause), otherwise paying that much (80m) would be an insane risk from such little sample size in a very different league.

Johan07

He’s 28, very experienced and reminds me of a taller and stronger Chicharito in the way he snaps up half chances in the box
Zapata is a very interesting alternative. He would come way cheaper than Haaland and would bring some balance to the age diversity of our attacking setup. In addition to being the much more "oven-ready" player to cite the Boris...
I have intentionally not replied to this thread after being castigated for having the nerve to suggest that Haaland should not be a priority for us, since it would hamper Greenwoods development and even force the club to send him on loan. While also removing investment from where its really needed: in midfield.
With some Swedish jibes thrown in as well. Its very much the Caf this thread so I dont really mind.
The "hate" against Haaland after his performance yday is as stupid as the posters on here claiming that Haaland reaches a top speed of 35 km/h plus after 20 meters already. If the latter was even remotely true, he is practising the wrong sport because he would feck Usain Bolt himself up. I dont know if anyone watching the game yday saw this athletic superman that has been projected in this thread
Haaland is a very exciting and promising player, but he is nowhere near proven enough to be anything by second fiddle to Martial should he arrive at United. Which would mean a new plan for Greenwood, who held his own and then some against City on the Etihad as the sole #9.
The money Haaland would cost is better invested elsewhere in the squad.
Performing in a completely inferior league like the Austrian one, having some very good performances in the champions league while not performing for his national team (for whatever reason) reminds me a lot of Fred tbf.
And believe me: there will be a new Haaland soon, we cant just buy every exciting player on the market as soon one emerges, disregarding the composition of our squad. If we were to buy a new #9 now at Haalands age or thereabout. it should be a generational talent like Mbappe.
And sorry, Haaland is not even close to that. Yet.
There have been a lot of stories in the Scandinavian papers about Raoila advising him to go to the "bigger" Leipzig or a club like Dortmund and wait one or two years for a move to one of the really big clubs in Europe. Which of course would be great for Raiolas own pockets, since it would be two transfers instead of one, but in this case he is probably not wrong.

troylocker

He was 16-18 during his Molde spell, and became a starter quite early in his second/last season there at 17, but with some rotation through out the season. Ole played him as a #9 in a high pressing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, very translatable to how we are playing here. I believe the two of them formed a good relationship, and that might help us if we want his signature. I think he will become a world beater sooner rather than later and is already a fantastic goalscorer, so I really hope we get this deal done.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zapata is a very interesting alternative. He would come way cheaper than Haaland and would bring some balance to the age diversity of our attacking setup. In addition to being the much more "oven-ready" player to cite the Boris...
Zapata won't be cheaper, last season when Lukaku's deal to Inter was looking on and off, there was reports that Atalanta will ask for at least 60 million for Zapata.

Johan07

Zapata won't be cheaper, last season when Lukaku's deal to Inter was looking on and off, there was reports that Atalanta will ask for at least 60 million for Zapata.
Thats probably likely for Zapata, but with the hype surrounding Haaland lately and what other offensive players like Dembele and Joao Felix went for: both 100m plus; its more of a question what Leipzig would ask for Haaland. I dont buy that he has a release clause btw.

roonster09

Scout
Thats probably likely for Zapata, but with the hype surrounding Haaland lately and what other offensive players like Dembele and Joao Felix went for: both 100m plus; its more of a question what Leipzig would ask for Haaland. I dont buy that he has a release clause btw.
He is playing for Salzburg, not Leipzig. I don't know about release clause, many papers have reported it. Lets see.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zapata will be 29 in April and I very much doubt he'd cost anything close to 60m. Atalanta will sell for considerably less due to the players age IMO.

roonster09

Scout
Zapata will be 29 in April and I very much doubt he'd cost anything close to 60m. Atalanta will sell for considerably less due to the players age IMO.
He is one of their most important player and they are playing good football fighting for CL places. There is no point selling him for cheaper as they might not even replace him properly. I don't think they are desperate to sell him, so any club that wants to buy him will pay the asking price.

OleTheGreat

The only way i can see this work if we get Haaland is,

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
James Fred Pogba Rashford
Martial Haaland

It will be a 4-4-2 formation and the best way to counter attack the Ferguson way!

Hawks2008

I have intentionally not replied to this thread after being castigated for having the nerve to suggest that Haaland should not be a priority for us, since it would hamper Greenwoods development and even force the club to send him on loan. While also removing investment from where its really needed: in midfield.
With some Swedish jibes thrown in as well. Its very much the Caf this thread so I dont really mind.
The "hate" against Haaland after his performance yday is as stupid as the posters on here claiming that Haaland reaches a top speed of 35 km/h plus after 20 meters already. If the latter was even remotely true, he is practising the wrong sport because he would feck Usain Bolt himself up. I dont know if anyone watching the game yday saw this athletic superman that has been projected in this thread
Haaland is a very exciting and promising player, but he is nowhere near proven enough to be anything by second fiddle to Martial should he arrive at United. Which would mean a new plan for Greenwood, who held his own and then some against City on the Etihad as the sole #9.
Performing in a completely inferior league like the Austrian one, having some very good performances in the champions league while not performing for his national team (for whatever reason) reminds me a lot of Fred tbf.
And believe me: there will be a new Haaland soon, we cant just buy every exciting player on the market as soon one emerges, disregarding the composition of our squad. If we were to buy a new #9 now at Haalands age or thereabout. it should be a generational talent like Mbappe.
There have been a lot of stories in the Scandinavian papers about Raoila advising him to go to the "bigger" Leipzig or a club like Dortmund and wait one or two years for a move to one of the really big clubs in Europe. Which of course would be great for Raiolas own pockets, since it would be two transfers instead of one, but in this case he is probably not wrong.
Martial is never going to be great so basing long term squad decisions around him wouldn't be smart, by the time Haaland is at the age Martial is now he will be a better a player. Greenwood is not ready yet and he can play across the front 3 so I don't see how another striker will hamper him, even a loan spell wouldn't be a negative for him, if anything he will have more opportunity to play and grow. At any rate he has shown nothing at this level so we have no idea how good he will actually be, he needs time and the club needs goals. Zapata had a good season for Atalanta last year but it was the only season of his career with 20+ league goals and by the time next season season rolls around be will be 29 so we would be getting a just ok striker at the tail end of his career. Would that really make us a better team long term?

I agree that we should prioritise signings in midfield but considering we need another striker and Ole's plan of signing young up and coming players we could do much worse than Haaland. If the opportunity arises to get him there would be no reason not to take him.

Fosu-Mens

Zapata should have been an alternative during the summer. Still should be, if the cost is low enough to make him a relatively cheap backup.
Haha, you have not replied to this thread because you get some heat? Can't remember that stopping you from repeating your opinion clear in some other threads despite getting a serious amount of sh*t. Don't tell me you have gone soft?

Haaland is a big uncertainty given his age and the issues regarding playing in a seriously weaker league and the potential case that his production is more down to the team and system he plays in rather than him as a player. I have repeatedly stated my concerns with him as a player (Hwang is the one to go for). He is a poacher, and those are not that useful in most modern systems. Needs to be able to perform in different situations on the pitch as a striker. His technique is not close to being as good as half the people in this thread portray it to be. And Norwegians tends to get a little bit subjective regarding their talents. He got some good qualities (Movement in the box, pace but not mobility etc), but some serious weaknesses (direct passing, first touch while moving etc) that would make him less effective in a dysfunctional team like ours. I agree that he would be better served by going to a club like Leipzig.

I think your sentiment that he is talented, but not what we currently need --> Midfielders is correct from an assumed objective pov. I fear that the club will buy him based on the "hype/media attention" linking him with us, not dissimilar to the FRED saga.

Adam-Utd

Hwang is actually quite different to Martial because he can play both flanks and can play as the second striker #10. Playing in the hole is where he would excell IMO and it he would make our midfield and attack more potent due to his ability in tight spaces along with his ability to create with his vision and penetrative passing. He also plays the game at a very intense level and is great at pressing from the front.
Sounds just like Martial to me personally. They both play better coming to the ball and have quick feet and an eye for a pass.

While he'd make a good backup to Martial, i'd rather go for Haaland as we lack a finisher.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sounds just like Martial to me personally. They both play better coming to the ball and have quick feet and an eye for a pass.

While he'd make a good backup to Martial, i'd rather go for Haaland as we lack a finisher.
The diffrence is that Hwang is very adept at playing AM, aswell as both flanks effectively. Martial I don't see as having AM capabilities or playing both flanks effectively. Hwang is also superb at pressing from the front which is also something Martial doesn't excell at. Hwang behind Martial in a 4-2-3-1 gives us better balance in comparison to just signing Haaland.

Johan07

Zapata should have been an alternative during the summer. Still should be, if the cost is low enough to make him a relatively cheap backup.
Haha, you have not replied to this thread because you get some heat? Can't remember that stopping you from repeating your opinion clear in some other threads despite getting a serious amount of sh*t. Don't tell me you have gone soft?

Haaland is a big uncertainty given his age and the issues regarding playing in a seriously weaker league and the potential case that his production is more down to the team and system he plays in rather than him as a player. I have repeatedly stated my concerns with him as a player (Hwang is the one to go for). He is a poacher, and those are not that useful in most modern systems. Needs to be able to perform in different situations on the pitch as a striker. His technique is not close to being as good as half the people in this thread portray it to be. And Norwegians tends to get a little bit subjective regarding their talents. He got some good qualities (Movement in the box, pace but not mobility etc), but some serious weaknesses (direct passing, first touch while moving etc) that would make him less effective in a dysfunctional team like ours. I agree that he would be better served by going to a club like Leipzig.

I think your sentiment that he is talented, but not what we currently need --> Midfielders is correct from an assumed objective pov. I fear that the club will buy him based on the "hype/media attention" linking him with us, not dissimilar to the FRED saga.
Guess I am in a christmas kinda mood)

Status
Not open for further replies.