g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

History says when every top club in Europe was really interested in one player that player never went to Chelsea. It was just a matter of time people would notice this.
Agreed, I never thought for a second he would pick Chelsea.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if Dortmund have a poor start to the season (maybe post Sancho) and realise they could get more money from Haaland than they would at the end of the season - so they open a sale on January.

Cman

Those moves are yet to go through. Then you still have PSG (who will be hurting post Mbappe) and Bayern to deal with. Maybe Juve too who have to replace Ronaldo.

We do have a place for him already with Martial not living up to expectations and Cavani being old. But I'm not sure we sign a Raiola player given the issues with him during Pogba's time, and also I think he'll want to go to a CL challenger now.
The deals haven’t gone through but regardless of weather they do or not.
A- you can be sure they have had some sort of contact with Raiola and if they got the feeling Haaland would want to sign for then then I don’t think they would be making £100m bids for other strikers.
B- again the player said he wants to feel wanted. Not sure trying to sign other £100m strikers will do that.

With your other points, having read post from some of our Norwegian posters them prem seems to be the main league followed in Norway. His father played here, he spent time here, it’s the strongest league in Europe right now.
He’s already played in Germany and I don’t think playing in France will excite him as it’s prob a step down from Germany.

With your point about is not wanting to deal with another Raiola player. We have been very diplomatic with him even when he has been running his mouth off and I’m wondering if this is the reason why.

Your last point I think is very valid. He will want to go to a team that will be challenging for both the league and CL. Think we have to really improve in CL this year to get the deal done.

Devil81

I wonder if Dortmund have a poor start to the season (maybe post Sancho) and realise they could get more money from Haaland than they would at the end of the season - so they open a sale on January.
Who is going to pay over the odds in January when they could get him for 70 million in the summer.

This summer maybe but not January.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As it looks more likely that Kane isn't going to City you have to fancy them going for Haaland next summer.

MrSingh2002

Our potential pursuit of Haaland is about as speculative as it gets.

If you were Haaland and you're a lifelong Leeds fan go and play for United and also embarrass your old man the ex City player?

It would take a lot for him to join United over any other top club in Europe.

RkkMan

If you were Haaland and you're a lifelong Leeds fan go and play for United and also embarrass your old man the ex City player?

He was very open to joining us in 2019 was just a case of timing back then not being right(plus the clause) his attachment to Leeds/City had NOTHING to do with his decision making
Plenty of Ex Leeds/City/Liverpool supporters have played for rival clubs that the CAF could name here what will do the talking is money and if our project is appealing enough to him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As it looks more likely that Kane isn't going to City you have to fancy them going for Haaland next summer.
Think Haaland will be at United, City or Bayern next year. Most likely one of the English clubs.

Robertd0803

Possibly and probably although Id guess his father would be more than happy to put his own personal feelings aside for his sons benefit and financial well-being.

Wasnt Ole a Liverpool fan, Sancho a Chelsea fan etc.? That side of it wouldnt concern me as much, I think our bigger issue will be the weekly wage required and being in a strong enough position to attract him. (Dealing with Raiola as well-ugh).

Given that he has a fixed release clause does Raiola stand to make less money based off someone activating the clause? Or are they going to have to pay agent fees on top of it?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Normally it'd be the same old Madrid, Barca leading the race to sign a top talent like him. But they're both skint and PL is starting to dominate the UCL again. So he's left with PL clubs as his first choices. But if Chelsea and City spent their money on big signings this season, especially on strikers, then they'll have no reason to sign Haaland in the next window. United has a big chance if that scenario plays out. It's not speculative at all.

Rojofiam

Real Madrid - moneyfecked and looking at Mbappé

Barcelona - moneyfecked, already insane wage bill

Italian clubs - moneyfecked, no real ambition in joining them

Bayern & PSG - No real ambition in joining them

Chelsea - In the running, but won't be if they sign Lukaku now

City - In the running, but won't be if they sign Kane now

United - We have Solskjaer and Sancho. Only City, Bayern and PSG can be considered BETTER teams than us (as of now, a lot could change in 12 months). Only Barcelona and Real Madrid can be considered as BIG as us.

Liverpool - Forgot about them, I'd say they might go for him but I'd favor us over them.

I'm pretty confident about Haaland. If there's a huge flaw in my logic, please tell me.

Shark

@NotShark
This seems to have a bit of a written in the stars feel about it now. What a signing he would be.

Infra-red

United - We have Solskjaer and Sancho. Only City, Bayern and PSG can be considered BETTER teams than us (as of now, a lot could change in 12 months). Only Barcelona and Real Madrid can be considered as BIG as us.

Liverpool - Forgot about them, I'd say they might go for him but I'd favor us over them.

I'm pretty confident about Haaland. If there's a huge flaw in my logic, please tell me.
I wouldn't rule out Madrid - they will be getting Mbappe on a free and are not in the same financial situation as Barca. Bayern will have a chance (and may push hard for it if they are looking to replace Lewandowski). PSG seem to be cosying up to Raiola (Donnarumma and perhaps Pogba) and can offer Paris and infinite money. The flipside of that is that Raiola and United's relationship is appalling.

Chelsea and City will of course be contenders if, as you say, they fail to sign Lukaku/Kane. I wouldn't dismiss Juve, either.

RkkMan

I wouldn't rule out Madrid - they will be getting Mbappe on a free and are not in the same financial situation as Barca. Bayern will have a chance (and may push hard for it if they are looking to replace Lewandowski). PSG seem to be cosying up to Raiola (Donnarumma and perhaps Pogba) and can offer Paris and infinite money. The flipside of that is that Raiola and United's relationship is appalling.

Chelsea and City will of course be contenders if, as you say, they fail to sign Lukaku/Kane. I wouldn't dismiss Juve, either.
Maybe just Madrid here depending on how the new wage cap allows them to justify the wages of Mbappe as a free agent(which will be VERY high) and Haaland's
He's 10000000000% not going to Bayern Lewa is under contract till 2023 and they RARELY dance with Super Agents Zahavi has been giving them headaches Raiola is a different animal altogether(and Haaland is a journeyman like Zlatan he'll want a new league)
The French Ligue seriously limits his chances of pushing for the Ballon D'or consistently like Messi/Ronaldo so PSG is very unlikely similar logic applies with Juve and the Serie A
He'll either go to Spain directly after Germany or England then Spain 3-5 years later

romufc

On paper the argument is good.

In reality, we will be much further down the list.

1. We have to show this season that we are capable of winning trophies
2. The biggest problem. Raiola. We could completely piss him off with Pogba and make him not want to give us Haaland.

passing-wind

Bayern, City and United next summer but I reckon Raiola's demands will largely influence the club's dependence to negotiate with the player.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I wouldn't rule out Madrid - they will be getting Mbappe on a free and are not in the same financial situation as Barca.
Yeah, this is clearly Florentino's wet dream - the new Galacticos. I don't know whether he can pull it off but I wouldn't count him out. Real have a ton of wages coming off their books next summer (most notably Bale, Marcelo, and Isco). That is like a million per week right there that could be reallocated toward Mbappe and Haaland. La Liga also just cut a deal with a private equity partner that, if ratified, is likely to see Real receive an immediate cash infusion of about 250m euros. And overall they just aren't in nearly the same dire financial shape as Barcelona. They don't have same long term albatross contracts (especially after the 2022 deals come off the books), they don't have the same accounting nightmares with huge transfer fees from the past still counting toward on-the-books expenditures in the future, their debt is not as high (although still high) and far less of it is short term, and they actually have players they can sell (whereas Barca have virtually no sellable players except untouchables like Pedri or Fati).

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, this is clearly Florentino's wet dream - the new Galacticos. I don't know whether he can pull it off but I wouldn't count him out. Real have a ton of wages coming off their books next summer (most notably Bale, Marcelo, and Isco). That is like a million per week right there that could be reallocated toward Mbappe and Haaland. La Liga also just cut a deal with a private equity partner that, if ratified, is likely to see Real receive an immediate cash infusion of about 250m euros. And overall they just aren't in nearly the same dire financial shape as Barcelona. They don't have same long term albatross contracts (especially after the 2022 deals come off the books), they don't have the same accounting nightmares with huge transfer fees from the past still counting toward on-the-books expenditures in the future, their debt is not as high (although still high) and far less of it is short term, and they actually have players they can sell (whereas Barca have virtually no sellable players except untouchables like Pedri or Fati).
Aye, I think this is about the only way he doesn’t end up in Manchester or London: Madrid going ham towards a new era of galacticos.

roseguy64

Possibly and probably although Id guess his father would be more than happy to put his own personal feelings aside for his sons benefit and financial well-being.

Wasnt Ole a Liverpool fan, Sancho a Chelsea fan etc.? That side of it wouldnt concern me as much, I think our bigger issue will be the weekly wage required and being in a strong enough position to attract him. (Dealing with Raiola as well-ugh).

Given that he has a fixed release clause does Raiola stand to make less money based off someone activating the clause? Or are they going to have to pay agent fees on top of it?
Agent fees aren't linked to transfer fees unless it's a situation like with Pogba from Juventus to Man Utd.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Makes a ton of sense! :lol:

diarm

The biggest problem. Raiola. We could completely piss him off with Pogba and make him not want to give us Haaland.
The idea of pandering to Raiola for any player makes me a little bit sick in my mouth.

Raiola should be trying not to piss us off with Pogba in case it hurts Haalands chances of joining us next year. Not the other way round.

Dortmund bend over for him every year so they can sign the next big thing. How does that work out for them 2 years later when Raiola decides it's time to get paid again?

United is a massive club and there will always be players interesting in joining us. If one flavour of the month decides against us because of some previous circus his agent was involved with, then feck him and move on to a player more interested in moving for the right reasons.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

I would argue Liverpool's football style probably fit him the best. The salary package however is the issue.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
50 million a year? Younger Messi territory. I guess that’s the situation at the very top of the game but Jesus… he’s not and isn’t going to be a messi. Without service he clearly suffers. Crazy money. 3 times as much as Sancho pretty much?

Malcusss

Great player, but can't see anyone giving him 50 million a year, not even city or PSG.

MUFC OK

Think we have a good chance of landing him next summer. Depends on our season though and of course the financial package which will no doubt be huge.

Raiola will be aiming to make himself £80m in the next 12 months, brokering this deal and Pogba to wherever he goes.

Jaxa

The signing of Cavani for 1 more year may just turn into a genius move,

It helps us spend funds across the team this season which we seem to be doing and also stay out of the messy striker search this season,

Our main competition for Haaland in the PL is City & Chelsea and with Kane looking likely to Join City and Lukaku to Chelsea we’ll be in a very good position next season to go full guns blazing for Haaland next year.

If we win PL or CL this season I honestly think Haaland is ours , the Ole connection, seeing his mate Sancho hopefully thrive under us plus we are a very exciting young team , Haaland will surely see that as a massive opportunity to be the ultimate piece in the puzzle.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The signing of Cavani for 1 more year may just turn into a genius move,

It helps us spend funds across the team this season which we seem to be doing and also stay out of the messy striker search this season,

Our main competition for Haaland in the PL is City & Chelsea and with Kane looking likely to Join City and Lukaku to Chelsea we’ll be in a very good position next season to go full guns blazing for Haaland next year.

If we win PL or CL this season I honestly think Haaland is ours , the Ole connection, seeing his mate Sancho hopefully thrive under us plus we are a very exciting young team , Haaland will surely see that as a massive opportunity to be the ultimate piece in the puzzle.
It's almost like it was planned eh ;)

Strelok

On paper the argument is good.

In reality, we will be much further down the list.

1. We have to show this season that we are capable of winning trophies
2. The biggest problem. Raiola. We could completely piss him off with Pogba and make him not want to give us Haaland.
Raiola works for Haaland, he doesn't own nor make decisions for Haaland's career and life mate. He can only advise him.

Raiola is a cnut, but he's really good at his job. If only because of his own personal feeling he'd advise Haaland against his best interests then he'd simply fail big time at the very basis of being a professional agent.

So my only worry is would United be the best option for him or not. Financially wise it shouldn't be a problem, so the issue is simply how we'd do in the PL and CL this season I think.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Dortmund bend over for him every year so they can sign the next big thing. How does that work out for them 2 years later when Raiola decides it's time to get paid again?
They get world class players and then a huge payoff when they leave, so.. pretty great?

DON’T PANIC ™

We had our chance to sign Haaland before he went to Dortmund. He chose Dortmund over us. No way he’s choosing us now or next year.

Assuming City and Chelsea sign expensive strikers this summer, Im thinking he’ll go to Barcelona, Madrid or Liverpool.

diarm

They get world class players and then a huge payoff when they leave, so.. pretty great?
They get prospects and then develop them to be world class. Then they get chairs thrown at them and have to sit and watch while the players they develop move on to bigger and better things.

All the while being patronised by hipsters and getting to celebrate one major trophy in a decade. Next year that will be zero major trophies in a decade.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We had our chance to sign Haaland before he went to Dortmund. He chose Dortmund over us. No way he’s choosing us now or next year.

Assuming City and Chelsea sign expensive strikers this summer, Im thinking he’ll go to Barcelona, Madrid or Liverpool.
So much self loathing, do you need a hug?

Devil may care

Chelsea - Lukaku
City - Kane
Bayern - Lewandowski
Real Madrid - Mbappe
Barcelona - Aguero

So if the above is how Europe's big teams start next season as regard main striker, the theory is it'll be United vs PSG for Haaland? I could see PSG going for Salah to replace Mbappe and Liverpool going for Haaland as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.