Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I admire the optimism. As much as I would love him here, I just don't ever see it happening. Even with my muppet vision on, its hard to look past the obvious; he has already turned us down.

RedDevilzFox

Be interesting where he ends up. I doubt any big clubs want to deal with Raiola ...

Hansa

And will thus be leaving when his release clause starts next summer. So everyone would be happy with a 2 year rental?
I'm starting to think that's the new norm with the most sought-after players. They make sure that you constantly have to worry about them leaving, getting new contracts every two years after a bit of hard-talk from their agents, and so on. Even Ronaldo did the same at regular intervals in Spain, even though it was always his preferred destination.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And will thus be leaving when his release clause starts next summer. So everyone would be happy with a 2 year rental?
I certainly would be, get the best young CF in the game cheap for two years and sell at a profit if he does want to leave? Sign me up.

wolvored

Impossible to know, but I’m going to respectfully disagree. Actually, never mind, it’s a fecking bonkers conclusion.
Why? We were the prominent club then. We could buy players other teams couldnt afford. We were definitely on the up and up, so no its not a bonkers conclusion. In fact I think if the 3 foreign players rule wasnt about in the early to mid 90s we might have had another European cup.

MS4

If we win PL and bvb barely makes top4, its likely he would join us.
We have to step up this year, make us attractive again!

Handré1990

Why? We were the prominent club then. We could buy players other teams couldnt afford. We were definitely on the up and up, so no its not a bonkers conclusion. In fact I think if the 3 foreign players rule wasnt about in the early to mid 90s we might have had another European cup.
The bolded bit has been refuted on her several times. Serie A and La Liga (I think) top teams had much more spending power.

Also, we weren’t that prominent at the point co92 came to prominence, at least not to the point you’re claiming. The history and grandness of the club, sure, but try and think how many titles we had at that point (SAF’s United), and how many we got with an integrated co92, and then come back with a straight face and say we would have seen the same honours.

Sanche7

Better than having him for zero days.
All of this is pure speculation. He has said that he likes PL, he loves Ole, Barca and Real are a mess, Bayern have Lewa. Unless he really wants to go Spain, I see him coming to the PL, especially since his dad played in the PL. Even in Spain, Real will be looking to sign Mbappe and a Barca without Messi is nothing special. Among clubs in the PL who can afford him, it's between us, City and maybe Liverpool. Since he has a release clause, transfer fee won't be the deciding factor. He and Raiola will decide where he goes. If we can get our shite together and show him that we are ready to compete at the highest levels, i believe we can get him to come here. Handling Raiola is a big headache, but since his release clause is lowish, i wouldn't mind us paying Raiola a few mill if it means no release clause in the contract. Our biggest competition will be city, but they need a striker this year, if Aguero leaves. Will be interesting to see if they go for a striker or continue their false 9 approach. So, what I'm saying is never say never.

CityBlue123

Supports
Man City
Pep usually avoids the tall center forward, that much is known.
Under his command, Ibrahimovic was unremarkable. Lewandowski was good, but we've only seen the best of him when Pep left.
At City, they always had a tall striker to partner Aguero (Dzeko, Balotelli, Negredo). Pep completely binned that option and put all his chips on another small, nimble striker in Gabriel Jesus.
Based on this observation, if Haaland were to join City, it would be a desire of the board, not the manager. I don't think Pep would accept that nowadays, and I don't think Haaland would want to play for a manager who frowns on the type of player he is.
That might end up being our luck.
I think that's a misconception with Pep because he hasn't bought many attackers. Ibra and Pep didn't see eye to eye but Pep insisted on signing him valuing his qualities as a player. Whether Lewadowski has improved after Pep is neither here nor there, Pep loved him and used him for years. Pep values Jesus' workrate more than anything but, the fact we want a new striker, emphasises that he does not appreciate Jesus' finishing ability or lack thereof.

The biggest issue getting Haaland for City isn't Pep, as Martin Blackburn who is a very reputable journalist in regards to City has stated he's a big fan of Haaland, it's our transfer model. For all our spending, we have done everything in our power to avoid spending 70m+ let alone the 100m+ it would take to get Haaland. We've also shown total disinterest in dealing with Raiola and also avoided going for players that are wanted by a host of clubs. Haaland, while he makes so much sense for City, would also be the most anti-City move. It'll be very interesting to see if we make a move and how determined our pursuit is.

Reactions: Sultan

RobertoBaggio99

Why have this turned into a Haaland vs Rashford conversation? A swap deal involving Rashford joining Dortmund is obviously never happening, and it's not like Rashford (a winger) is forced out of the team by a striker.

wolvored

The bolded bit has been refuted on her several times. Serie A and La Liga (I think) top teams had much more spending power.

Also, we weren’t that prominent at the point co92 came to prominence, at least not to the point you’re claiming. The history and grandness of the club, sure, but try and think how many titles we had at that point (SAF’s United), and how many we got with an integrated co92, and then come back with a straight face and say we would have seen the same honours.
Hadnt we won the League then the double at this stage by 95/96 when the class of 92 broke through? So we were the prominent team at that time.
I think your missing the point what I am getting at. Im not disrespecting the class of 92, far from it. Im saying if they hadnt have happened Utd would still have been the top English club as we would have bought players in. Look at how Fergie bought the top British players in. An example being we probably would have bought Lampard as Fergie already said he would have gone for him at West Ham if we didnt have Scholes.

Hadnt we won the League then the double at this stage by 95/96 when the class of 92 broke through? So we were the prominent team at that time.
I think your missing the point what I am getting at. Im not disrespecting the class of 92, far from it. Im saying if they hadnt have happened Utd would still have been the top English club as we would have bought players in. Look at how Fergie bought the top British players in. An example being we probably would have bought Lampard as Fergie already said he would have gone for him at West Ham if we didnt have Scholes.
the double winning team of 94 is often cited as SAFs best team. Even if not, it’s in the discussion.

Handré1990

Your claim, which is counterfactual, was that the co92 weren’t instrumental to our choke-hold on English football. That’s what I’m ‘on about’. Like I said it’s impossible to know. However, we do have proof of how many titles and cups we did win during SAF and co92.

I took it to mean we’d probably win the same amount, which I think is a crazy idea, Barcelona in their absolute prime had a core of players who came up together, just like our team who dominated English football.

I think we’d have still been one of the top teams, but nowhere near as constant.

Anyway, we’re off topic. It’s an interesting discussion, though. You should make a thread. Or I can do it tomorrow.

wolvored

Your claim, which is counterfactual, was that the co92 weren’t instrumental to our choke-hold on English football. That’s what I’m ‘on about’. Like I said it’s impossible to know. However, we do have proof of how many titles and cups we did win during SAF and co92.

I took it to mean we’d probably win the same amount, which I think is a crazy idea, Barcelona in their absolute prime had a core of players who came up together, just like our team who dominated English football.

I think we’d have still been one of the top teams, but nowhere near as constant.

Anyway, we’re off topic. It’s an interesting discussion, though. You should make a thread. Or I can do it tomorrow.
Sorry all I was trying to say obviously in my opinion we would have still been the top club.
As you say would we have won as much as CO92. Who knows really, maybe not. I wasnt trying to say CO92 weren't instrumental in our success, just that Fergie without CO92 would have spent the cash to get the best British players certainly, along with some foreigners.
The thread is a good idea. As its your idea I will leave it to you, but will participate :)

Le Red

I think that's a misconception with Pep because he hasn't bought many attackers. Ibra and Pep didn't see eye to eye but Pep insisted on signing him valuing his qualities as a player. Whether Lewadowski has improved after Pep is neither here nor there, Pep loved him and used him for years. Pep values Jesus' workrate more than anything but, the fact we want a new striker, emphasises that he does not appreciate Jesus' finishing ability or lack thereof.

The biggest issue getting Haaland for City isn't Pep, as Martin Blackburn who is a very reputable journalist in regards to City has stated he's a big fan of Haaland, it's our transfer model. For all our spending, we have done everything in our power to avoid spending 70m+ let alone the 100m+ it would take to get Haaland. We've also shown total disinterest in dealing with Raiola and also avoided going for players that are wanted by a host of clubs. Haaland, while he makes so much sense for City, would also be the most anti-City move. It'll be very interesting to see if we make a move and how determined our pursuit is.
Great reply! I find it curious that City, with all their cash, refuses to pay the big bucks and be skinned.
Hopefully you won't make an exception for Haaland. ;)

youmeletsfly

Why he'd choose Chelsea over Real, Barca, and City ?
Fixed that for you.
I don't think we're even in the conversation for the likes of Haaland, Mbappe, etc. The reason is not even that we're an average team for 8 years now, the reason is needing to ditch one of Martial or Rashford.

The Original

Better than having him for zero days.
All of this is pure speculation. He has said that he likes PL, he loves Ole, Barca and Real are a mess, Bayern have Lewa. Unless he really wants to go Spain, I see him coming to the PL, especially since his dad played in the PL. Even in Spain, Real will be looking to sign Mbappe and a Barca without Messi is nothing special. Among clubs in the PL who can afford him, it's between us, City and maybe Liverpool. Since he has a release clause, transfer fee won't be the deciding factor. He and Raiola will decide where he goes. If we can get our shite together and show him that we are ready to compete at the highest levels, i believe we can get him to come here. Handling Raiola is a big headache, but since his release clause is lowish, i wouldn't mind us paying Raiola a few mill if it means no release clause in the contract. Our biggest competition will be city, but they need a striker this year, if Aguero leaves. Will be interesting to see if they go for a striker or continue their false 9 approach. So, what I'm saying is never say never.

</point>.

Do you really see him bringing another player to Utd?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fixed that for you.
I don't think we're even in the conversation for the likes of Haaland, Mbappe, etc. The reason is not even that we're an average team for 8 years now, the reason is needing to ditch one of Martial or Rashford.
Or Cavani.. and dropping Martial to the bench and tell him to stay if he is happy, go if he is not.

Ole is a fantastic rotating manager for all players except VDB who looks like a player that doesn't fit his system unfortunately.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Chelsea will struggle to make the CL this season, unless they win it. Surely won’t help their chances.

I’ve said for years that with the competition in the PL, the only way to guarantee CL football is to be in the title race. If the season develops into a 3 team race with United, City and Liverpool - the race for the 4th spot will be bloody with Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton and maybe even Arsenal all in there swinging.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chelsea will struggle to make the CL this season, unless they win it. Surely won’t help their chances.

I’ve said for years that with the competition in the PL, the only way to guarantee CL football is to be in the title race. If the season develops into a 3 team race with United, City and Liverpool - the race for the 4th spot will be bloody with Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton and maybe even Arsenal all in there swinging.
This year especially is looking mega tight.

We keep talking about a title race but 1 or 2 slip ups and we could find ourselves in 5th / 6th! it's madness.

I didn't expect Everton to keep up as well as they have.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He wouldn't. It's not beyond belief that those clubs won't make an offer which is acceptable to Dortmund and Chelsea does though.

He's going to Man City anyway. Dad was a Man City legend and he'll be Agueros replacement.
Is his dad a City legend? Says something about them then :lol:

I don't see him in PL other than with us as we're the only ones daft enough to deal with his agent, I still think Bayern (Lewandowski's replacement) or Juve (Ronaldo's replacement) is his most likely destination

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He wouldn't. It's not beyond belief that those clubs won't make an offer which is acceptable to Dortmund and Chelsea does though.

He's going to Man City anyway. Dad was a Man City legend and he'll be Agueros replacement.
:lol: Was he? Guy barely played 30 games for them.

Davie Moyes

I can see him going to Chelsea. To be used as another stepping stone club. More money due to more moves for all the Haaland related parties. To eventually end up at Madrid as the final destination.

Judas

Open to offers
Chelsea do seem more likely to agree to Rino's scheme and allow him to bugger off to another club after a couple of years. Still doubt they'll go for him after the money they've spent recently that hasn't exactly gone brilliantly so far.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Chelsea are going out of the CL next month when they face Atletico. But I do think they somehow make top 4 this season.
They Will be lurking around 5-7 spot for most of the season though.

MUFC OK

Only way I can see this happening, and where Chelsea have an advantage over other clubs, is by offering Werner + cash.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Chelsea do seem more likely to agree to Rino's scheme and allow him to bugger off to another club after a couple of years. Still doubt they'll go for him after the money they've spent recently that hasn't exactly gone brilliantly so far.
The player will do what he wants. When the discussion is about Pogba, people are quick to call Raiola ‘Pogba’s mouthpiece’, yet seem to believe Mino is the one who will orchestrate the career plan for Haaland. If Haaland joined United and wanted to stay, he will.

MUFC OK

Literally so true. Zlatan's career is the template: move a player on every 2 or 3 years and take 20%+ of the transfer fee as commission each time. Raiola has been furious at Utd for not following suit with Pogba. He really is a cretin.

RUCK4444

I’d be livid if Chelsea get him. I don’t care what it costs we need him.

Blow the budget on him, we can muddle along in other areas, what we are missing massively is a guaranteed 25 goal a season forward.

See how Diallo gets on rotating with Mason on the RW and if we must then muddle along at CB with Bailly’s form being a plus.

I’d still like a top DM. If I could choose now I’d snap your hand off for Haaland and a DM.

Judas

Open to offers
I know its not popular, but I'd happily just have him even if he stuck around for only three seasons. The success we could have with a striker like him would be so promising.

The player will do what he wants. When the discussion is about Pogba, people are quick to call Raiola ‘Pogba’s mouthpiece’, yet seem to believe Mino is the one who will orchestrate the career plan for Haaland. If Haaland joined United and wanted to stay, he will.
Obviously? Mino only moves around players who want to move. If a player wanted to spend his career somewhere, he would I've no doubt. Mino works for the player, I'm sure he'll offer advice and that, but really he just wants his clients to be happy wherever they are.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know its not popular, but I'd happily just have him even if he stuck around for only three seasons. The success we could have with a striker like him would be so promising.

Obviously? Mino only moves around players who want to move. If a player wanted to spend his career somewhere, he would I've no doubt. Mino works for the player, I'm sure he'll offer advice and that, but really he just wants his clients to be happy wherever they are.
You say ‘obviously’, but it clearly isn’t for many posters who keep repeating that any stay will be temporary ‘because Raiola’.

Status
Not open for further replies.