Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Literally, literally my point? Was that not clear? In our current state, we've no chance.
Money talks. If you offer him a big contract and promise to reinforce the team big time to be competitive next season, he may be interested. Never say never. One season without CL is not a big deal. Man Utd is a big club. Lots of players want to play for you guys.

dinostar77

Money talks. If you offer him a big contract and promise to reinforce the team big time to be competitive next season, he may be interested. Never say never. One season without CL is not a big deal. Man Utd is a big club. Lots of players want to play for you guys.
Your deluding yourself if you think haaland will come to utd without CL or with CL. He has much better options. Also glazers wont pay out on a £350mil package for one player especially while ronaldo is at the club.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
If Ronaldo stays Haaland won't go there. And Ronaldo will only leave United if they don't qualify to CL, but Haaland won't move to United without CL football.
Ronaldo is way too competitive to stay on the bench, he wants to play every game even if he isn't offering much on the pitch due to his age(this will be an issue for United at some point).

In England, only City have real chances of getting Haaland.
I still think he will end up in Spain, Barcelona most likely, as Madrid seems more inclined to Mbappé.

choccy77

Rumours are Ralf wants us to sign another old age pension over signing Haaland.

Good to see the club are not learning any lessons of past mistakes.

troylocker

If we replace Ronaldo in the summer with another old stopgap striker we might as well fold the club.

choccy77

If we replace Ronaldo in the summer with another old stopgap striker we might as well fold the club.
This club is a farce.

So many out of contract players, also players with stupid contracts who never even play.

It's Embarrassing

crossy1686

career ending

Have you ever considered Haaland wants to play in Spain for Madrid or Barcelona? For as long as we've been tracking him this has been the line from his camp, it probably the reason he chose Dortmund over us also. You can't force a player to play for you if he doesn't want to, as much as you would like to blame the club for that, there are many things you can actually blame them for however.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he picked City, I can’t see him going to Madrid if they still have Benzema and get Mbappe.

James35

Haaland would be nuts to join us with the options he’ll have. We are certainly not a top forward away from being a top team. So many issues need resolving and huge doubt around this club’s ability to challenge for major honours. So if I were him I’d be steering well clear unless he is a die hard fan.

I hope he goes anywhere bar City.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Benzema, just to make doubly sure Real definitely have the cash to get Mbappe and Haaland
Benzema to give assists to Ronnie like the old times.

Ancient duo, let's go.

Last edited:

choccy77

Wait, you're pissed because your manager wants you to sign the current best player in the world??? Am i getting that right :houllier:
The guy will be 34 years old soon.

We do not need to be buying anymore old players who may give one season of use on stupid money.

Besides, reports today suggesting now City are after him, which again I don't believe as it would be a very short term signing for them, which they don't do.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The guy will be 34 years old soon.

We do not need to be buying anymore old players who may give one season of use on stupid money.

Besides, reports today suggesting now City are after him, which again I don't believe as it would be a very short term signing for them, which they don't do.
He's the best player in the world and currently in his prime

Age is a number. Obviously you have to account for cost, but still. He's the best player in the world in his prime...

Mylock

I can't believe that people still think that we will buy Haaland. We tried to buy him twice already, and he turned us down. He has an agent that we struggle to deal with and is a poisonous toad. Haaland has come out and admired RM numerous times; we are a club in confusion at the moment. Why would a top talent join us at the moment and be in danger of damaging their career? Not going to happen, dream on?

mctrials23

I can't believe that people still think that we will buy Haaland. We tried to buy him twice already, and he turned us down. He has an agent that we struggle to deal with and is a poisonous toad. Haaland has come out and admired RM numerous times; we are a club in confusion at the moment. Why would a top talent join us at the moment and be in danger of damaging their career? Not going to happen, dream on?
Yeah, he would be mad to come here at the moment. His stats would fall off a cliff, his career would stall and he wouldn't even be getting paid that much more than he could get at a functional club. The only reason it would happen is if his agent gives him really bad advice purely for the money we would pay.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I think United are most likely to end up with Benzema after Haaland goes to Real Madrid and they try to offload Benzema to vacate the striker position.

United should rather go for someone like Vlahovic in that case.

Don't think Haaland to United will happen.

troylocker

Age is a number. Obviously you have to account for cost, but still. He's the best player in the world in his prime...
One is 33 playing for a current top 3 team in the world, the other is 21 playing for Dortmund.

Numbers from Bundesliga this season:
Haaland: 1,0 non penalty goals per 90 + 0,29 expected assists per 90 - 1,29 npg90+xA90
Lewa: 1,1 non penalty goals per 90 + 0,20 expected assists per 90 - 1,30 npg90+xA90

Bayerns total npxG this season: 60,02 (3,16 per 90)
Dortmunds total npxG this season: 38,62 (2,03 per 90)

It is actually very debatable who is the better striker.

Lewa has how many years left on the elite level?

Buying a 34 year old as anything other than a back up solution or a luxury, would be mental.

Age is a number? In sports?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's really not. Lewandowski is better than Haaland at everything bar finishing. In fact, Lautaro Martinez is pretty much better than Haaland at everything bar finishing

Lewa has how many years left on the elite level?
That's where the matter of price comes in

Buying a 34 year old as anything other than a back up solution or a luxury, would be mental.
Except when said 34 year old is the best player in the world and appears to be square in the middle of his prime

Age is a number? In sports?
Nowadays yes. Cristiano, Zlatan, Benzema, Modric, Lewa, Thiago Silva...

LeBron. Brady...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
One is 33 playing for a current top 3 team in the world, the other is 21 playing for Dortmund.

Numbers from Bundesliga this season:
Haaland: 1,0 non penalty goals per 90 + 0,29 expected assists per 90 - 1,29 npg90+xA90
Lewa: 1,1 non penalty goals per 90 + 0,20 expected assists per 90 - 1,30 npg90+xA90

Bayerns total npxG this season: 60,02 (3,16 per 90)
Dortmunds total npxG this season: 38,62 (2,03 per 90)

It might be when purely looking at these numbers. It is not when you watch them play. Lewy is still on a different tier.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Once we signed Ronaldo the ST position was clearly done.

You can see his reaction to being subbed in the 70th minute, not a chance in a hell he'd be happy with a bench role right now :lol:

We have bigger needs right now anyway.

troylocker

It's really not. Lewandowski is better than Haaland at everything bar finishing. In fact, Lautaro Martinez is pretty much better than Haaland at everything bar finishing

That's where the matter of price comes in

Except when said 34 year old is the best player in the world and appears to be square in the middle of his prime

Nowadays yes. Cristiano, Zlatan, Benzema, Modric, Lewa, Thiago Silva...

LeBron. Brady...
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I would take Haaland before any other player in the world right now.

Haaland's skill set is so different to Lewa's and Lautaro's.

Take another look at these numbers and tell me Lewandowski how is the better striker. And look at the impact he has for Dortmund.

Goalthreat = Non penalty goals + expected assists per 90 minutes:
Lautaro (I don't know why you bring in him here): 0,63 non penalty goals per 90 + 0,17 expected assists per 90 - 0,80 npg90+xA90

Bayerns total npxG this season: 60,02 (3,04 per 90) - actual non penalty goals scored 3,05 per 90
Dortmunds total npxG this season: 34,08 (1,79 per 90) - actual non penalty goals scored 2,26 per 90
Inters total npxG this season: 41,48 (1,98 per 90) - actual non penalty goals scored 2,14 per 90

Player impact/involvement related to teams overall created chances and goals scored:

Haaland: 1,29 / 1,79 = 0,72 (His goalthreat vs. chances created)
Haaland: 1,29 / 2,26 = 0,57 (His goalthreat vs. non penalty goals scored)
Degree of attacking focus and degree of contributing to teammates:
Focal point degree: 0,68 npxG90 vs. 1,79 team npxG90 = 0,38 - In general Dortmund and Haaland creates 38% of their npxG for him when he is on the pitch.
Creation for others: 0,29 xA90 vs. 1,11 rest of teams npxG90 = 0,261 - Haaland sets up his teammates for 26,1% of their chances.

Lewa: 1,30 / 3,04 = 0,43 (His goalthreat impact vs. chances created)
Lewa: 1,30 / 3,05 = 0,43 (His goalthreat impact vs. non penalty goals scored)
Focal point degree: 1,16 npxG90 vs. 3,04 team npxG90 = 0,38 - In general Bayern and Lewa creates 38% of their npxG for him when he is on the pitch.
Creation for others: 0,20 xA90 vs. 1,88 rest of teams npxG90 = 0,106 - Lewa sets up his teammates for 10,6% of their chances.

Lautaro: 0,80 / 1,98 = 0,40 (His goalthreat impact vs. chances created)
Lautaro: 0,80 / 2,14 = 0,37 (His goalthreat impact vs. non penalty goals scored)
Focal point degree: 0,74 npxG90 vs. 1,98 team npxG90 = 0,37 - In general Inter and Lautaro creates 37% of their npxG for him when he is on the pitch.
Creation for others: 0,17 xA90 vs. 1,24 rest of teams npxG90 = 0,137 - Lautaro sets up his teammates for 13,7% of their chances.

Can you see the difference in the impact they have for their teams despite being almost identical focal points for their respective teams?

Haaland is the most direct/creative player in Dortmund after Sancho left and leads their xA90-list this season:
Haaland 0,29 - Brandt 0,25 - Hazard and Reus 0,24 - Meunier 0,23 - Bellingham and Dahoud 0,19 - Wolf 0,15 - Guerreiro 0,14 - Malen 0,13

While Lewa's partners in crime at Bayern:
Muller 0,59! - Sane 0,44 - Kimmich 0,40 - Musiala 0,37 - Gnabry 0,33 - Goretzka 0,26 - Davies 0,24 - Lewa 0,20 and so on....

Lewa is surrounded by WC players in every spot around him, Haaland obviously isn't. Bayerns dominance will continue as if nothing happened if Lewa moves or retires this summer.
Look at Dortmunds squad and tell me Dortmund is comfortably the 2nd best team in Germany without Haaland.
Haaland also has a higher defensive workrate, he's stronger, bigger, faster, younger and has his best years ahead of him compared to Lewa.

Football is about so much more than the eyetest. Which must have been your measuring stick when claiming the above.

Some of the veterans above is still good, but can you with confidence say any of them will be better next season?

MNG2646

Supports
Real Madrid
The problem with +33 old players is that they can decline very fast. for example Benzema and Lewa can be the best strikers in the world right now but suddenly next season they fall off and can't play high intensity games.

old players are quick solutions for a 6 month or 1 year period nothing more. their ego is a huge problem also.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
It isn't. Robert Lewandowski is simply one of the greatest strikers ever.

Lewandowski's overall game is at a different level totally. Haaland's technique is closer to Lukaku than it is to Lewy.

Another thing is a very young Haaland has way more injury issues than a 33 year old Lewy. The injury patterns might be worrying for a player like Erling who relies on his raw pace and power so much.

I'm not denying that buying a 33 year old is risky but some gambles are totally worth it, atleast short term if you have less options.

Spot on. Plus his technical ability and the fact that he's so complete means he suits all styles of play. You can long ball Football with him just as easily as you can play possesion based Football.

I feel, with Haaland you have to play to his strengths. Dortmund's style of play suits him so much!
I dont know why but Haaland's playing style reminds me a lot of an in-form Lukaku.

Olmer

Haaland's per 90 numbers look spectacular but he's actually scored 23 goals this season while Lewandowski is on 40(!). I'd say that's a pretty significant difference and it's due to Haaland being unavailable.
It's tough to put him ahead of Lewandowski if he doesn't play football matches.

In fact here's the crazy stat (according to transfermarkt):
- Since Haaland came to Bundesliga in 19/20 season he has missed 22 games due to injury
- Since Lewandowski came to Bundesliga in 10/11 season he has missed 24 games due to injury

crossy1686

career ending
Expecting this lad to be in Madrid next season, also expecting them to recruit in a big way in the summer.

Madrid:
Haaland, Mbappe & Pogba coming in. Bale and Benzema out.

PSG:
Zidane and Benzema in.

troylocker

Haaland's per 90 numbers look spectacular but he's actually scored 23 goals this season while Lewandowski is on 40(!). I'd say that's a pretty significant difference and it's due to Haaland being unavailable.
It's tough to put him ahead of Lewandowski if he doesn't play football matches.

In fact here's the crazy stat (according to transfermarkt):
- Since Haaland came to Bundesliga in 19/20 season he has missed 22 games due to injury
- Since Lewandowski came to Bundesliga in 10/11 season he has missed 24 games due to injury
It's hard to disagree with the injury stats. He's had more muscle injuries than most.

Your goalscoring stats are wrong though:

Haaland:
Dortmund - 22 goals and 6 assists in 1575 minutes
Norway since 1/8 (this season) - 5 goals in 268 minutes (3 of them against the mighty Gibraltar)

Total 27 goals and 6 assists in 1843 minutes - A goal every 68 minutes - A goalcontribution every 56 minutes

Lewa:
Bayern - 34 goals and 3 assists in 2286 minutes
Poland since 1/8 (this season) - 5 goals and 4 assists in 471 minutes (5 goals and 3 assists in 5 matches against the just as mighty Andorra, San Marino and Albania)

Total 39 goals and 8 assists in 2757 minutes - A goal every 70 minutes - A goalcontribution every 59 minutes

I think it's safe to say that Bayern and Poland are better teams than Dortmund and Norway.
Bayern won all their CL groupstage matches and won a group with Barcelona, Benfica and Dinamo Kiev with a goal difference of 21-3........
They have created 70% more chances than their closest competitor in the BL. The whole team is a chancecreating monster, every strikers wet dream. Put any decent striker in there and you would see serious numbers. (They had 31 shots against PSG at home without Lewa in one of the greatest robberies in modern football)

Choupo-Moting has scored 8 and assisted 3 in 248 minutes for them this season for crying out loud. Take away the 12-0 thrashing they did in the cup and he's still on 4 goals in 156 minutes in the BL and CL for them this season.

Olmer

It's hard to disagree with the injury stats. He's had more muscle injuries than most.

Your goalscoring stats are wrong though:

Haaland:
Dortmund - 22 goals and 6 assists in 1575 minutes
Norway since 1/8 (this season) - 5 goals in 268 minutes (3 of them against the mighty Gibraltar)

Total 27 goals and 6 assists in 1843 minutes - A goal every 68 minutes - A goalcontribution every 56 minutes

Lewa:
Bayern - 34 goals and 3 assists in 2286 minutes
Poland since 1/8 (this season) - 5 goals and 4 assists in 471 minutes (5 goals and 3 assists in 5 matches against the just as mighty Andorra, San Marino and Albania)

Total 39 goals and 8 assists in 2757 minutes - A goal every 70 minutes - A goalcontribution every 59 minutes

I think it's safe to say that Bayern and Poland are better teams than Dortmund and Norway.
Bayern won all their CL groupstage matches and won a group with Barcelona, Benfica and Dinamo Kiev with a goal difference of 21-3........
They have created 70% more chances than their closest competitor in the BL. The whole team is a chancecreating monster, every strikers wet dream. Put any decent striker in there and you would see serious numbers. (They had 31 shots against PSG at home without Lewa in one of the greatest robberies in modern football)

Choupo-Moting has scored 8 and assisted 3 in 248 minutes for them this season for crying out loud. Take away the 12-0 thrashing they did in the cup and he's still on 4 goals in 156 minutes in the BL and CL for them this season.
This is weird. For some reason Haaland's stat page doesn't display his DFB Pokal goals.
For Lewa the page counts all his World Cup Qualifier goals even though they were scored in March (that's -3 goals right there), but doesn't count his 2 SuperCup goals.
Sorry for that. I thought it would be more straightforward ;)

You give some valid arguments - particularly Choupo's stats seem... thought-provoking.
But it's simply way too hard for me to believe that Bayern is this one club that turns every striker to gold, while everywhere else in the world strikers regularly flop while transferring from worse club to a better one. I mean - why has nobody emulated that? It's not like Bayern has crazy amount of money or superb pulling power. Other clubs should be able to pull off similar stuff, shouldn't they?
Also it's funny how Bayern is painted as this super club for the purpose of explaining Lewa's goalscoring. It's like we're leaving reality where:

- they lost Flick, Alaba, Thiago without properly replacing them
- their bench is subpar
- they got eliminated from DFB Pokal in early rounds twice in last two years, once by Holstein Kiel
- they lost their last two matches vs Gladbach
- they're just 6 points ahead in the league - City is 11 points ahead in EPL
- their players usually are not mentioned as best on their positions - Muller doesn't even get nominated for BD'Or etc.
- they had a lot of disappointing CL performances between 2013 and 2021 against top sides

and end up in some sort of fairy tale.
I remember watching their first game vs Barcelona in this year's groups and thinking that there's no way they're favourites while playing like that. All their goals were unassisted and results of lucky deflections. If the ball bounced differently from the posts, Lewa would score 0 goals from 0 chances. The match could've easily ended 0-0.

Now - back to Haaland because it's his thread.
I'm not saying that he can't do the things you say he can. I just prefer to wait until he actually does them before I give him all the credit and call him the best. I'm pretty sure that he won't do it this season.
Just yesterday I read an article where someone was claiming that Vlahovic will be Haaland's rival for the next decade and I thought to myself "man, you guys sure are getting way ahead of yourselves!". How about we wait till Haaland:

- wins the CL or
- wins the Golden Shoe or
- wins the Torjagerkannone (or five) or
- wins the BD'Or or FIFA Best award or
- has more goals than Lewandowski in a calendar year or
- scores 4 goals in a CL semi or
- scores 5 goals in 9 minutes or
- scores a hattrick vs Bayern in a DFB Pokal final or
- has better CL campaign than Lewa's 15 goals and 6 assists in 10 games or something.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Put any decent striker in there and you would see serious numbers. (They had 31 shots against PSG at home without Lewa in one of the greatest robberies in modern football)
True! However we couldn't score (enough). I'm sure with Lewandowski Bayern would have won comfortably.

Ladron de redcafe

The problem with +33 old players is that they can decline very fast. for example Benzema and Lewa can be the best strikers in the world right now but suddenly next season they fall off and can't play high intensity games.

old players are quick solutions for a 6 month or 1 year period nothing more. their ego is a huge problem also.
That's true, isn't it? Rooney is an example of that happening, and Kane might turn out to be another.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Doesn't make any sense to complain about ancient players like Cavani and Ronaldo, and then sign another ancient player, even if he is world class.

I wouldn't be surprised if Glazers want Lewandowski, probably looking to sell more t-United shirts... that's how they see Football.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Did someone just compare the footballing level of Albania with Andorra, San Marino and Gibraltar or did mine eyes deceive me? :houllier:

On topic, feck your agent off Erling old son or any sane club would give you a wide berth.

Status
Not open for further replies.