Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Our main problem is creating chances, getting Haaland alone won't make us win the league.

I'd love Haaland, but we need to spend our money wisely, personally I'd prioritise midfield, winger and CB over a striker.
Our main problem is not creating chances but lack of a proper striker. If a 34 year old Cavani can elate us by one level ,imagine what an young striker can do.

zenith

Don't think he's going anywhere in the summer. If Dortmund make the CL, they would much rather sell Sancho.

Besides, what clubs are going to spend north of 100 million on one player with what must be massive wages and agent fee as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why is that undoubtedly? Redcafe seem to paint a picture of Haaland as some greedy kid, shopping clubs for the money. Yet he turned down the big money from Juve , and went for the Austrian league. And then he turned down the big money from Man Utd for Dortmund.

If we can match his ambitions on the pitch, I see no reason why he would hurry away to some other club. After all we are one of the giant clubs of the world.
You are misinterpreting my post. I never once suggested he's greedy.
Players have varying career goals. Certain players might want to stay at one big club and win as much as they can as a legend at that club. Other players might want a more Zlatan approach where they want to win leagues in multiple countries. It's nothing to do with greed but career ambition and what they want to be remembered as.

Haaland is a player who is smart and paced with his growth, but now that he's on the cusp of a world class player at just 20 years of age, I don't see him as basing the next move as the club he'll stay at for the long term as opposed to the near term. He said he likes the Premier League most, but I don't see him not venturing to La Liga to dominate during his career too, especially with Raiola as his client.

With Kane however, you just know he's either at Spurs for life or the move he makes is likely his final one where his talents are maximized to the peak of his career.

-Supreme-

Our main problem is not creating chances but lack of a proper striker. If a 34 year old Cavani can elate us by one level ,imagine what an young striker can do.
Creating chances is clearly our biggest problem, City have proved that as long as the team is functioning well and playing good football then goals will come from other areas of the pitch.

rooney2009

Creating Chances is our biggest problem when Teams sit deep,
We’ve had some good strikers Zlatan,Lukaku etc and the goals always dry after an impressive start and Teams just don’t give us space and then we struggle to create anything

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Creating chances is clearly our biggest problem, City have proved that as long as the team is functioning well and playing good football then goals will come from other areas of the pitch.
Agreed. I would love haaland but I can see him going games without scoring because of the way we play. what we're missing is balance and fluidity. I would take Sancho and a DM over him at this very moment.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Recoup some money and cut the wagebill then I say why not?
Lingard + Dalot = 30m
Hate to say it but De Gea = 30m and the Haaland wages are covered.

Badly need a striker especially with Cavani possibly on the move.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Lingard + Dalot = 30m

I would love to see Mason given a full run as our main Striker

Skåre Willoch

Just pay him whatever he wants. Wine him. Dine him. Standup 69 him if needed. Just make sure he ends up playing for us next season. Whatever it takes.

Tapori

Muppet dreams are made of this
Who is the caf to disagree?

don't you dare ever ever ever mention being a muppet along with that cringe inducing lack-of-self-deprecating pledddit sub-group term that rhymes with musketeer.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I get the sentiment but it would be absolute suicide for Ole to do that if it didn’t work out, we have to be competing next season.

Also it would put huge pressure on Mason at his age.
If that happens you can't really blame Ole for it. Haaland, Mbappe, Messi, Sancho the top of the line of possibilities and a bunch of different alternatives after that gap but I'm sure we'll get someone. Getting the wrong striker is a possibility but not getting anyone in at all just smells like the typical one person not doing his job at this club.

FatherWolff

Just pay him whatever he wants. Wine him. Dine him. Standup 69 him if needed. Just make sure he ends up playing for us next season. Whatever it takes.
It takes the same as getting Pogba to sign a new contract. The players need to see the board build a winning team. Players don’t see it like a few fans, like Ole is clueless etc. They see if there is actions behind the words. 100% both Pogba and Haaland would commit to the project if we did that. But there are doubts. Another thing is if can spunk so much money on one player when we lack so much

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Our main problem is creating chances, getting Haaland alone won't make us win the league.

I'd love Haaland, but we need to spend our money wisely, personally I'd prioritise midfield, winger and CB over a striker.
We're struggling to make chances because our movement up front is often poor. It's no coincidence how we suddenly look a more complete side when Cavani starts.

Pogba and Bruno would relish having this kind of player in front, and the likes of Shaw, Greenwood and James would finally have a player to attack all of those good crosses they regularly put in front of goal

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Another thing to note on this is how close we are to making some significant reductions to our wage bill. The following could be gone this summer

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa

Not to mention also Rojo, Ighalo, Romero, Dalot have gone or will be going

Thats somewhere between £30-35m a season for players who, Cavani aside, have contributed next to nothing to what we are seeing this season.

Imagine if the club went for the full overhaul and Pogba, De Gea and Martial were moved on. Not that I see this happening but if it did, my god it would completely overhaul our entire wage bill.

Point being, we should have no problem at all accommodating a pretty sizeable salary for Haaland if it came to it

Brightonian

Another thing to note on this is how close we are to making some significant reductions to our wage bill. The following could be gone this summer

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa

Thats somewhere between £30-35m a season for players who, Cavani aside, have contributed next to nothing to what we are seeing this season.

Imagine if the club went for the full overhaul and Pogba, De Gea and Martial were moved on. Not that I see this happening but if it did, my god it would completely overhaul our entire wage bill.

Point being, we should have no problem at all accommodating a pretty sizeable salary for Haaland if it came to it
Yeah I hope we don't go quite that gung ho! But there looks to be a very real chance we might at least ship De Gea out, on top of some of the players you listed at the top. That's a big, big weight off the wage bill.

Infra-red

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa

Affording his salary, wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be the fee (this summer) and persuading him (and Raiola) that United is best club for him (ahead of Madrid, City, Juve, Liverpool, PSG, Chelsea etc).

Andersonson

Martial is 25, he´s an international for France and he was named United player of the year just a few months back. Going to Dortmund would be a step back for him and I think there´s no chance he´d see that as a necessity at this stage of this career. He could still go on to have a good last part of this season, and if not, a change of scenery could be enough to bring him back to his best, e.g. at PSG.

Edit: And even if we bring in Haaland, there is no reason to get rid of Martial. It would be silly going into a new season with only one striker in the squad, and Martial can play at the left as well.
It would be good for Martial to take a step back and join an easier league.

And he hasnt produced for France, never has. He has been getting some games after last season, but he has most likely lost his place yet again

croadyman

Apparently Webby & O Neill are putting up a video on their youtube channel today at 12pm about why they think we are going to sign this guy which will be interesting to see

RooneyLegend

Look, the guy is a generational talent and already one of the best players in the world if not the best. I know this might sound ridiculous but we have Greenwood. Signing him would end all chances of him taking over one day.

We're quite a distance away from where we need to be and adding him won't take us there. Rather spread that money around.

lex talionis

Look, the guy is a generational talent and already one of the best players in the world if not the best. I know this might sound ridiculous but we have Greenwood. Signing him would end all chances of him taking over one day.

We're quite a distance away from where we need to be and adding him won't take us there. Rather spread that money around.
We can’t pass up on Haaland because we already have Greenwood. That would be madness.

We may miss out on Haaland for a number of other reasons, but if it ever got out that this was the reason, oh Lord.

RRCE

We can’t pass up on Haaland because we already have Greenwood. That would be madness.

We may miss out on Haaland for a number of other reasons, but if it ever got out that this was the reason, oh Lord.
I totally agree. First of all, there would be room for Haaland and Greenwood. Secondly, if we want to be successful there needs to be an element of ruthlessness. Greenwood is a good young talent with a bright future ahead of him, but he’s not close to Haaland’s level. If getting Haaland means Greenwood plays out wide or as a back up centre forward, so be it.

SecondFig

Don't think he's going anywhere in the summer. If Dortmund make the CL, they would much rather sell Sancho.

Besides, what clubs are going to spend north of 100 million on one player with what must be massive wages and agent fee as well.
Dunno, next summer (2022) his release clause kicks in so I can see why they might be tempted by an obscene offer this summer - especially if they miss out on the Champions League. That said, I'd be surprised if he chose to come to us.

passing-wind

Very good point, an attacking philosophy is often the best foundation to be competitive.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Somehow, I can see some within the club feeling that way, but I think cooler heads will prevail and the club will do everything to get him. Greenwood is adaptable, Haaland not as much. You HAVE to have him up front. Greenwood can keep developing his game as an inside forward. If Haaland is really going to be a club-hopping kind of mercenary, then Greenwood will get his chance when he's fully developed physically, with plenty of experience on his hands and still very young.

SecondFig

Somehow, I can see some within the club feeling that way, but I think cooler heads will prevail and the club will do everything to get him. Greenwood is adaptable, Haaland not as much. You HAVE to have him up front. Greenwood can keep developing his game as an inside forward. If Haaland is really going to be a club-hopping kind of mercenary, then Greenwood will get his chance when he's fully developed physically, with plenty of experience on his hands and still very young.
Not just that, but even if we do (and I doubt we will) get Haaland, he can't play every minute of every game. We need a number of forwards, and getting a world class striker like Haaland doesn't have to block the development of a good prospect (which remains all Greenwood is). Besides, if anyone's getting displaced by Haaland, it'd be Martial.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa

This argument could have been made over the last 20 years though, and reducing your wage bill never actually seems to happen, at Utd or anywhere. Because the moment you sell first teamers then the players who fill those gaps created deserve/demand higher salaries. How many new contracts have been signed in the last year and will be signed over the next year? All of which will involve pay rises.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This argument could have been made over the last 20 years though, and reducing your wage bill never actually seems to happen, at Utd or anywhere. Because the moment you sell first teamers then the players who fill those gaps created deserve/demand higher salaries. How many new contracts have been signed in the last year and will be signed over the next year? All of which will involve pay rises.
It's also extremely hard to get rid of bad contracts, which someone like Martial has. He's not going anywhere, and that wage bill is going to stay until his contract runs out IMO. Also, if getting Haaland is at all a possibility, it becomes immediately less attractive if it means losing Pogba. Then it's mainly all up to Bruno to provide the creativity Haaland will need to have anywhere close to his current output.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I could see Martial, Pogba and De Gea all leaving this summer, that's got to be about 120 million in fees add to that Dalot, Lingard etc as others have listed that could get you up to about 150 million in sales . With that plus a 50+ million budget you could bring in both Sancho and Haaland and a even a DM. Keep Cavani for one more season as ST cover and that would revolutionise your team.

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
DM
DvB Bruno
Sancho Haaland Rashford

Back up

Pereira
Williams Bailly Tuanzebe Telles
Matic
Fred McT
Greenwood Cavani James
This without thinking about Mengi. Diallo, Pellistri or Shoretire. That's quite a squad!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not necessarily in this case though because our squad has quite an interesting make-up about it at present. When you look at those players I listed in my earlier post:

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa
Rojo £1.5m
Ighalo £5m
Romero £2.5m
Dalot £2m
TFM £1.5m
Pereira £2.5m

That's £40m per season right there (or in other words CL group stage qualification money), for 10 players of whom only 1 has added any significant value at all this season. The beauty of it is that very few of these players actually need to be replaced, either because we simply have a bloated squad and don't need them, or because we have players such as Amad, Shoretire , Mengi & Garner (not to mention Hannibal, Hugill, Laird) who could all break through over the next 12 to 18 months.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just wait until Ed sees the price Dortmund put on him for a summer transfer!Then demand it in cash!
Lets be honest the likelihood of Haaland moving this summer is probably less than 50%, but if it does happen it will only be because Dortmund missed out on CL football and are selling because they have to sell, which weakens their position. Even in that instance though I still see them preferring to offload Sancho rather than their crown jewel. I think its far more likely we sign Sancho this summer and then try to reunite them again the following year

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Not necessarily in this case though because our squad has quite an interesting make-up about it at present. When you look at those players I listed in my earlier post:

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa
Rojo £1.5m
Ighalo £5m
Romero £2.5m
Dalot £2m
TFM £1.5m
Pereira £2.5m

That's £40m per season right there (or in other words CL group stage qualification money), for 10 players of whom only 1 has added any significant value at all this season. The beauty of it is that very few of these players actually need to be replaced, either because we simply have a bloated squad and don't need them, or because we have players such as Amad, Shoretire , Mengi & Garner (not to mention Hannibal, Hugill, Laird) who could all break through over the next 12 to 18 months.
You’re bang on. We could get rid of about 7 players and not have to replace any of them. IF the board would sanction a 100m net spend on top and we sold well we could do some serious damage this summer. I get the COVID argument but on the other hand this summer clubs are desperate for money and players are going to be available for far cheaper. Fans are coming back, the money will roll in again. Invest now and we won’t have to spend as much when prices inevitably go up again. Get the right 4 players and with the youth we have coming through we’d need very little for the next 3 years - we could be back to picking and choosing deals too good to pass up from a position of strength.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lingard + Dalot = 30m

There’s no way on this Earth we get £30m for David De Gea. Not on his form + his salary. I’d honestly be surprised if we get more than a nominal transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.