Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen86

This is going to make for a very long summer.

I predict: Dortmund set £150m asking price --> Dortmund set unnecessary 15th July deadline --> Manchester United fanny about for 3 months and sign Bobby Zomora

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Look, the guy is a generational talent and already one of the best players in the world if not the best. I know this might sound ridiculous but we have Greenwood. Signing him would end all chances of him taking over one day.

We're quite a distance away from where we need to be and adding him won't take us there. Rather spread that money around.
Actually him being the world's best football sounds a bit of a reach. Like Mbappe and Sancho (last year) he's producing some phenomenal numbers but the best player in the world goes beyond that. IMO at least.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Have you watched us play? :confused:
Have you watched us play? Rewatch the game vs West Ham. Focus on all the balls that are played into the box in dangerous positions. Look at how we never have a CF in the right place at the right time. And then watch Dortmund the next time they play and focus solely on Haaland and what he does for 90 minutes. He is on a different planet compared to our forwards.

This idiotic "we don't create chances" narrative is proof a lot of posters have no idea what's actually happening on a football pitch.

Chances created per game this season:
1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lets be honest the likelihood of Haaland moving this summer is probably less than 50%, but if it does happen it will only be because Dortmund missed out on CL football and are selling because they have to sell, which weakens their position. Even in that instance though I still see them preferring to offload Sancho rather than their crown jewel. I think its far more likely we sign Sancho this summer and then try to reunite them again the following year
Even if they miss out on CL I think they'll try to keep him. However there's a chance he will push strongly to move in that situation, as I don't think he'll want to spend a season out of the CL. He almost certainly has Ronaldo's all-time record in his sights and won't want to miss out on potentially another 6-10 goals.

RUCK4444

Have you watched us play? Rewatch the game vs West Ham. Focus on all the balls that are played into the box in dangerous positions. Look at how we never have a CF in the right place at the right time. And then watch Dortmund the next time they play and focus solely on Haaland and what he does for 90 minutes. He is on a different planet compared to our forwards.

This idiotic "we don't create chances" narrative is proof a lot of posters have no idea what's actually happening on a football pitch.

1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9

Good post. I hope some of the super negative posters refer to this before the next time they want to spout absolute SHITE that we ‘don’t have patterns of play’ or ‘no attacking style.’

Absolutely flooding the forum with turd-posts.

RooneyLegend

Actually him being the world's best football sounds a bit of a reach. Like Mbappe and Sancho (last year) he's producing some phenomenal numbers but the best player in the world goes beyond that. IMO at least.
Cristiano has been in the running for eons almost purely based on numbers, production is important especially in the final third. Haalands production is ridiculous and he produces regardless of circumstances.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I thought he had a release clause, but I guess they have renewed his contract. I'd agree that City seems to be the best destination for him. They have an unlimited pool money, are in the title race every year and have a good shot at winning the CL. His dad used to play there and they are managed by Pep. I personally don't think the Ole connection counts for much for someone making the biggest decisions of his career.

ForeverRed1

I think as awful as it might sound, one of our best ways of getting him is, and without putting in some dafty release clause, that we won't stand in his way if we get a great offer for him in 3-4 years time if he wants to go. City won't promise that, Real won't, PSG won't. I know people will have a shit fit at the mere suggestion of us being a stepping stone of sorts because we're Manchester United blah blah blah, but its being realistic.
Exactly, and there is nothing to say he won’t be successful here and love it. He could be the catalyst, he’s exactly what we need along with a top class centre back to partner maguire.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Even if they miss out on CL I think they'll try to keep him. However there's a chance he will push strongly to move in that situation, as I don't think he'll want to spend a season out of the CL. He almost certainly has Ronaldo's all-time record in his sights and won't want to miss out on potentially another 6-10 goals.
Dortmund are on record that they will likely have to sacrifice a player or two this summer, and I don't think they would say that lightly. They are setting the fans expectations on what is coming.

With regards to Haaland they are in a position where they have to decide what one more season is worth to them, because they already know the exact figure that they will be losing him for next summer. This summer they are in control and could probably get close to double that number, so what is a season worth? Plus, as you say, will the player start to agitate for a move? Time will tell.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Cristiano has been in the running for eons almost purely based on numbers, production is important especially in the final third. Haalands production is ridiculous and he produces regardless of circumstances.
And trophies

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
For those who are crazy about him now, the time to buy was in Salzburg, everything was already there.
He's a killer, there's no doubt about that, but right now he's at the peak of overvaluation.

Dortmund is one of the most expensive stores in Europe at the moment, Raiola is someone I would want at least a continent away from, the kid's arrogance to imitate the worst of Ibra neither attracts me.

Someone would spend 200 million on this adventure.
But does anyone have 200 million to spend?

Only for Raiola and the player's family will be about 50.

AgentSmith

1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9

Great post.

Shaw would be in POTS territory if we were able to convert his creativity into goals. He’s been an absolute monster this season.

Him and Bruno would get on very well with Haaland.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have you watched us play? :confused:
When was the last time our strikers played an actual "Striker" role ?
When was the last time our strikers made intelligent runs ? When the ball is on the wings, how many strikers do we actually have in the box ?

A team with Shaw, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford will create enough chances but we just need someone to convert them consistently

Giggsy13

Dortmund are on record that they will likely have to sacrifice a player or two this summer, and I don't think they would say that lightly. They are setting the fans expectations on what is coming.

With regards to Haaland they are in a position where they have to decide what one more season is worth to them, because they already know the exact figure that they will be losing him for next summer. This summer they are in control and could probably get close to double that number, so what is a season worth? Plus, as you say, will the player start to agitate for a move? Time will tell.
Dortmund will prioritize selling Sancho over Haaland. If they get a big fee for Sancho then it’s more likely that there isn’t a need to sell Haaland.

Ill also repeat what I’ve said earlier in this thread, Haaland and his agent may prefer waiting a season before moving, if it is true that there is a release clause that kicks in next summer. It makes sense to have as many teams in the mix to help drive up player wage offers, bonuses and agent fees. We already took a “principled” approach (at least that was Ed’s briefing) by not giving into Raiola’s demands the first time around for Haaland not sure why that all changes now when the demands will be even higher.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
*Every Caf poster when Raiola is shitting all over United* "Sell Pogba and never deal with this c*nt again"

*Same posters when a shiny new toy comes along* "Give him whatever he wants to get him here"

Some people never learn. It's like watching lemmings walk off the edge of the cliff.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Dortmund will prioritize selling Sancho over Haaland. If they get a big fee for Sancho then it’s more likely that there isn’t a need to sell Haaland.

Ill also repeat what I’ve said earlier in this thread, Haaland and his agent may prefer waiting a season before moving, if it is true that there is a release clause that kicks in next summer. It makes sense to have as many teams in the mix to help drive up player wage offers, bonuses and agent fees. We already took a “principled” approach (at least that was Ed’s briefing) by not giving into Raiola’s demands the first time around for Haaland not sure why that all changes now when the demands will be even higher.
I agree with your first point. Sancho leaving will be an easier pill for the Dortmund fans to swallow. (Which is no slight at all on Sancho. I'm sure they'd hate to lose him too)

We're all speculating about many things here. A football career is short. Some players can't stomach the thought of 'wasting' a season so he might decide he's done his Dortmund thing and now is the time. I'm sure he could still get very close to his salary demands this summer. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

captain666

Lets be honest the likelihood of Haaland moving this summer is probably less than 50%, but if it does happen it will only be because Dortmund missed out on CL football and are selling because they have to sell, which weakens their position. Even in that instance though I still see them preferring to offload Sancho rather than their crown jewel. I think its far more likely we sign Sancho this summer and then try to reunite them again the following year
I'm inclined to agree with you,they need cash and Sancho is the more likely transfer.Whether or not we're so interested this year remains to be seen.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Its hard to know - I mean like you say Haaland might prefer to stay for a year but from a Dortmund perspective its going to sting to see him leave for 60 million next summer when you could have got double that this summer

Sancho - perhaps they can get 80 million this summer - but keep him for a season and who knows they might be able to get the 100m they apparently wanted before

could be a net difference of 80m extra... I can envisage a scenario where haaland prefers to stay ... equally I can envisage a scenario where they sell brandt, sancho and haaland this summer

i can certainly see logic in Dortmund prioritizing the sale of haaland though given the buyout clause

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I thought he had a release clause, but I guess they have renewed his contract.
He does have a release clause but it doesn't come into effect until the end of next season. So the question is whether they intend to keep him for that season and get the guaranteed fee that's in the clause, or whether they'll be willing (or perhaps even actively looking depending on how their finances are) to sell Haaland this summer for an extra 35m+.

Before Covid they could get a fee that large, but I don't see it happening now. Maybe if City decide to go all out, but that's about the only chance it'll be that high.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
There’s no way on this Earth we get £30m for David De Gea. Not on his form + his salary. I’d honestly be surprised if we get more than a nominal transfer fee.
The reason i brought up 30m is because he’s been quoted for a possible summer exit to PSG for 30m. I agree it sounds pretty expensive given his salary but there arent better keepers at that price so...

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Not necessarily in this case though because our squad has quite an interesting make-up about it at present. When you look at those players I listed in my earlier post:

Cavani £10m pa
Mata £9m pa
Lingard £4m pa
Jones £4m pa
Rojo £1.5m
Ighalo £5m
Romero £2.5m
Dalot £2m
TFM £1.5m
Pereira £2.5m

That's £40m per season right there (or in other words CL group stage qualification money), for 10 players of whom only 1 has added any significant value at all this season. The beauty of it is that very few of these players actually need to be replaced, either because we simply have a bloated squad and don't need them, or because we have players such as Amad, Shoretire , Mengi & Garner (not to mention Hannibal, Hugill, Laird) who could all break through over the next 12 to 18 months.

I do get your point, however "Amad, Shoretire , Mengi & Garner (not to mention Hannibal, Hugill, Laird)" would surely then all receive pay rises if they start playing semi-regular first team games, so you'd have to factor that against the 40 million gained. And if they don't play regular games then you've left yourself with a pretty small squad. In addition would you not expect Fernandes for example to at least double his wages in the next season? He has the right to be up with your very top earners in the 250-300k/week category. That might cost an extra 5-8 million/year. Equally Pogba, if the risk is losing him on a free next summer, you may give him a bumper new contract like De Gea. Then if you get rid of Jones, Rojo, Fosu-Mensah and Dalot you'll surely need cover in defence. And as soon as you come to renegotiate the contracts of AWB, Bailly, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay, James etc - if at that point they are all well-established first team players they'll expect the salary to match that status. Contact negotiations are tricky and agents will look at the turnover of the very biggest clubs, they'll know what you can afford, and they'll try to get the best wages possible.

However, I think the area where you are obviously overspending on wages is your GK department and the low hanging fruit will be fixing that, and shouldn't be too tricky. Not trying to ask a leading question, but don't you think you'll have trouble getting players like Jones and Mata off your wage bill? The only very well-paid player who would be easy to shift is Cavani due to contract expiry, but the cost of replacing him could be incredibly high and negate all the savings you've mentioned and then some.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9

Good post. I do think we’re still a bit hapless creatively at times, but generally speaking we do create a decent amount of chances per game. Especially against the smaller teams.

Long and short of it is we just need upgrades. Signing Sancho or Grealish will further increase our chances created stats, as well as add another attacker who can carry the ball. Signing Haaland will make our already decent chances created stat actually count by putting the ball in the net far more frequently than our forwards currently do.

The most obvious thing to say in the world but high level players like this simply improve a side. Ideally we’d get two, but just one of those three as a key target this summer and we’re already massively improved.

TsuWave

1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9
Why have you taken off on about Haaland vs our forwards when I didn't question Haaland's qualities/abilities? :confused: My point of contention with the post was that we allegedly don't struggle to create chances. I disagree. I often see us struggling to do so. I do see the numbers you've provided, but don't know how these things are being quantified and what qualifies as a chance created. Your post implies playing the ball into the box meets the minimum requirement, is this the standard?

hubbuh

1. City 11.7
2. Chelsea 11.3
3. Liverpool 10.9
4. United 10.9
5. Leeds 10.6
11. Arsenal 8.3
13. Spurs 7.9
The truth is somewhere in the middle to anyone that watches United (lol), surely? In the past few weeks our xG has been lower than Crystal Palace, West Brom and Chelsea in draws against those teams. In fact, our xG is lower this season than it was last season. Don't we have the highest number of nil nils of any team this season? And if you go back and look at those nil nils, we've been fecking impotent and never looked like scoring in any of them. Yeah Cavani and Martial aren't up to scratch, but it's not like we always create boatloads of chances for them. The problem is we are relying on an out-of-position, still developing teenager and Dan James (backed up by a right-back that is infamously awkward going forward) on the right. A team with title winning aspirations can't start the likes of Dan James consistently on the wing and expect a freescoring frontline.

I mean, you posted the chances created per game yourself! We're joint 3rd, behind a Chelsea team that sacked its manager halfway through the season and way behind City. Our inability to create (from the right) isn't going to suddenly disappear with Haaland. We're a chronically dysfunctional and unbalanced team. In reality we need both a right-winger and a striker, but pretending like all our goalscoring problems will evaporate with Haaland is way off.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The truth is somewhere in the middle to anyone that watches United (lol), surely? In the past few weeks our xG has been lower than Crystal Palace, West Brom and Chelsea in draws against those teams. In fact, our xG is lower this season than it was last season. Don't we have the highest number of nil nils of any team this season? And if you go back and look at those nil nils, we've been fecking impotent and never looked like scoring in any of them. Yeah Cavani and Martial aren't up to scratch, but it's not like we always create boatloads of chances for them. The problem is we are relying on an out-of-position, still developing teenager and Dan James (backed up by a right-back that is infamously awkward going forward) on the right. A team with title winning aspirations can't start the likes of Dan James consistently on the wing and expect a freescoring frontline.

I mean, you posted the chances created per game yourself! We're joint 3rd, behind a Chelsea team that sacked its manager halfway through the season and way behind City. Our inability to create (from the right) isn't going to suddenly disappear with Haaland. We're a chronically dysfunctional and unbalanced team. In reality we need both a right-winger and a striker, but pretending like all our goalscoring problems will evaporate with Haaland is way off.
I was about to say, those stats hardly support the posters argument!

RedorDead21

But that’s impossible to know. A player scoring a goal a game and sometimes more for a counter attacking team will basically elevate us massively. He like Ronaldo could carry the team pretty much week after week. Hard to label a team always winning as largely unbalanced however true.

Harold_Giles

Don't we have the highest number of nil nils of any team this season? And if you go back and look at those nil nils, we've been fecking impotent and never looked like scoring in any of them.
That's a bit over the top.
We were extremely shit against Crystal Palace and Chelsea in our most recent goalless draws, I'll give you that.

But I remember 2 glorious chances in each of our 0-0 draws against Arsenal and Liverpool before that.
Think it was Cavani x2 against Arsenal, and Bruno&Pogba against Liverpool.

But staying on topic.
I do think a striker like Haaland would massively improve our team going forward. Get him at any cost.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who else is better?

Only Messi right now. Lewandowski perhaps, but he's definitely in the equation. His record is incredible, whether Bundesliga or CL.

hubbuh

That's a bit over the top.
We were extremely shit against Crystal Palace and Chelsea in our most recent goalless draws, I'll give you that.

But I remember 2 glorious chances in each of our 0-0 draws against Arsenal and Liverpool before that.
Think it was Cavani x2 against Arsenal, and Bruno&Pogba against Liverpool.

But staying on topic.
I do think a striker like Haaland would massively improve our team going forward. Get him at any cost.
What, the bicycle kick from Cavani?! :lol: The majority of strikers wouldn't have gotten that anywhere near/even connected. It's a credit to Cavani that it was as close as it was! I'd also add that it was an Arsenal side without Aubameyang, Tierney, and Saka and was wobbling as a team. We should have created more. I've just watched the highlights and it was as I remembered. A few decent opportunities for both sides without much threat. Both teams notched 3 shots on targets. Again, Liverpool was much of the same. Both games felt like missed opportunities, as do pretty much all of our nil nils (nil nils tend to be damp squibs with neither side really going for it).

But that’s impossible to know. A player scoring a goal a game and sometimes more for a counter attacking team will basically elevate us massively. He like Ronaldo could carry the team pretty much week after week. Hard to label a team always winning as largely unbalanced however true.
Have you seen the stats? A huge portion of our chances come from the left, and a really, really small amount of our chances come from the right. That's the definition of unbalanced. And besides, we aren't always winning. We aren't City. We've won less games than Leicester and are out of the CL. Always winning! Pah! We haven't done that since Fergie.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Im convinced. Break the bank Ed.

I want to see haaland and cavani up top together :drool:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We can’t pass up on Haaland because we already have Greenwood. That would be madness.

We may miss out on Haaland for a number of other reasons, but if it ever got out that this was the reason, oh Lord.
During fergies time we have 4 strikers.

Moiraine

We had better chances of signing him a year ago than now. I don’t think he will end up at United now.

Handré1990

What, the bicycle kick from Cavani?! :lol: The majority of strikers wouldn't have gotten that anywhere near/even connected. It's a credit to Cavani that it was as close as it was! I'd also add that it was an Arsenal side without Aubameyang, Tierney, and Saka and was wobbling as a team. We should have created more. I've just watched the highlights and it was as I remembered. A few decent opportunities for both sides without much threat. Both teams notched 3 shots on targets. Again, Liverpool was much of the same. Both games felt like missed opportunities, as do pretty much all of our nil nils (nil nils tend to be damp squibs with neither side really going for it).

Have you seen the stats? A huge portion of our chances come from the left, and a really, really small amount of our chances come from the right. That's the definition of unbalanced. And besides, we aren't always winning. We aren't City. We've won less games than Leicester and are out of the CL. Always winning! Pah! We haven't done that since Fergie.
Think he’s talking about the hypothetical situation if Haaland were here now, scoring about 1 goal a game for this team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’ve said it before but Fernandes and Haaland would be a match made in heaven. Get a proper playmaker for a right winger who can help assist with rashford on the left and were flying.

Harold_Giles

Think he’s talking about the hypothetical situation if Haaland were here now, scoring about 1 goal a game for this team.
That's right.

One goal a game wouldn't even be necessary.

Martial, Cavani and Greenwood have 11 goals and 20 big chances missed* between them this season in the league.

A leathel striker would make a huge difference to our team, I'm certain of that.

*A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances.

Rooney24

Just pay whatever it takes.

City will be in the market for a striker and if they get him we can forget about it for the foreseeable future.

Macern

Pee pee pants
If we get him I think we’ll have a very good chance of winning the league. That being said I don’t think there’s any chance of us getting him this summer. I’d be shocked. Simply because I don’t think we can affort him.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If we get him I think we’ll have a very good chance of winning the league. That being said I don’t think there’s any chance of us getting him this summer. I’d be shocked. Simply because I don’t think we can affort him.
I think it would depend who City got too though. They are surely going to spend, and spend big, on a striker this summer. If you buy a 30 goal a season striker and they buy a 20 goal a season striker then they are still winning the league IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.