Erling Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin

Football Director ("DOF")? Check.
Long term manager contract? Check.
Looking like recurring CL participant? Check.
Plays direct football seeking to outscore opponents? Check.
Lacking clear cut first XI striker? Check.
Sufficient funds this year? ....

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Do you not think DM is just as important because we are losing far too many midfield battles due to this
Midfield battles aren't just due to the 2/3 players actually in the midfield though. A proper playmaking/creative winger like a Grealish or Sancho will arguably do more to help us control the game than an actual midfielder would.

Bwuk

Ole is a Pool fan now?

Or was he a pool fan in the 70's when he was 7?
He was a Liverpool fan as a child, I highly doubt he is now.

Sterling is a United fan, look at the clubs he’s played for.

The club players supported as a kid means nothing.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Ole is a Pool fan now?

Or was he a pool fan in the 70's when he was 7?
He was a Liverpool fan when United bought him in 1996. He was a member of their Norwegian supporters club. Pretty sure he came to his senses quick enough after the transfer.

Impulse

He was a Liverpool fan as a child, I highly doubt he is now.

Sterling is a United fan, look at the clubs he’s played for.

The club players supported as a kid means nothing.
Probably still is judging from his record against us.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It doesn't matter, that's how these things work between clubs when it comes to negotiation. If someone like that went for that much, Dortmund can reasonably expect over 100m for Sancho, and it would be warranted.
The fact that Havertz, Haller, Werner and etc are underperforming now means the value of bundesliga players are dropped because foreigner clubs now have doubt whether those players are even capable to play in tougher league or no. The foreigner clubs have valid excuses to force the Bundesliga teams to lower their price.

Even if we exclude the case above that I mentioned, we also have another case which covid case. The Bundesliga teams are also in desperate for money due to covid's impact as they are no longer relying on the stadium/fans money anymore but sponsor and TV which not comparable to EPL. Not to mention that lot of news already came out months ago regarding Sancho's price has dropped less than 100m now which counter your point.

redshaw

Football Director ("DOF")? Check.
Long term manager contract? Check.
Looking like recurring CL participant? Check.
Plays direct football seeking to outscore opponents? Check.
Lacking clear cut first XI striker? Check.
Sufficient funds this year? ....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If I was a betting man, I’d wager he ends up at city. They’re losing Aguero this season so have a gaping hole at CF.

We’re crying out for more creativity anyway, we don’t create anywhere near enough to enable our strikers to score as it is, Grealish and/or sancho would make a huge difference.
If Aguero leaves, I'd love us to do a "Tevez" to them, but that's a bit like wanting a house overlooking Bondi Beach!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If any other manager in the game was City manager other than Guardiola then I’d go with it BUT Guardiola hates playing with proper centre forwards as seen throughout his career, the one time he did was Zlatan and look how that turned out ?

I can see City wanting to replace Aguero but with someone much more ‘false 9’ like so you’d look at the likes of Lautaro Martinez at Inter even though the dream for them is obviously Messi, from what I’ve seen of City this year they’ve been trying lots of players in that ‘false 9’ role but nothing has clicked.
I hope you are right - and, it may sound mad, but happy for them to get Messi if it guaranteed us Halaand. I know who I want more; not totally convinced that Messi is up to the pace of the PL (now he'll sign and score 30 league goals to make me look stupid)

Bwuk

I hope you are right - and, it may sound mad, but happy for them to get Messi if it guaranteed us Halaand. I know who I want more; not totally convinced that Messi is up to the pace of the PL (now he'll sign and score 30 league goals to make me look stupid)
Id rather Haaland than Messi as well. Read a story that Aguero and Messi want to play together, it won’t be at Barca.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Id rather Haaland than Messi as well. Read a story that Aguero and Messi want to play together, it won’t be at Barca.
ha ha - I think I read it would be at Barca! (can't remember where and I could have read it wrong)

davidmichael

I read yesterday that Guardiola wants Felix from Atletico which is much more his type of striker as are Messi, Dybala and Martinez.

I agree fully though as I’d rather have Haaland than Messi as Haaland is exactly what WE need, an out and out centre forward who’s job is to get on the the of things and put the ball in the net.

I read in a few places that Laporta is pushing for Aguero over Depay because it’ll appease Messi, that said though I think Aguero would be a much better fit for Barca than Depay as Aguero is a central forward which is what Barca don’t have at all since Suarez left.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
How does a team end up being the highest scoring team in the league and yet still be uncreative?

Have you actually seen how many big chances we miss? We create more chances than anyone. Bruno stats would be insane if our strikers actually finished half the chances.
City is the highest scoring team in the league. And it's a fact that United struggles when they need to proactive. United is always far better when the opposition tries to steamroll them.

Chief123

City is the highest scoring team in the league. And it's a fact that United struggles when they need to proactive. United is always far better when the opposition tries to steamroll them.
City have only overtaken us as most goals scored in the last couple of weeks.

Nevertheless your point still doesn’t stand. Even in the games we are struggling to break down, we are creating huge chances which our strikers are fluffing. If we actually finished the chances that are glaring, most of these games would have been comfortable routine wins. It’s not like we have been struggling to break teams down in order to create chances which is what the original point was. Our midfield isn’t uncreative. It’s our strike force that isn’t prolific right now.

Dve

Because maybe it would be good for his career and he'd urn out to be a great player. Dortmund have a knack for that.
Martial is 25, he´s an international for France and he was named United player of the year just a few months back. Going to Dortmund would be a step back for him and I think there´s no chance he´d see that as a necessity at this stage of this career. He could still go on to have a good last part of this season, and if not, a change of scenery could be enough to bring him back to his best, e.g. at PSG.

Edit: And even if we bring in Haaland, there is no reason to get rid of Martial. It would be silly going into a new season with only one striker in the squad, and Martial can play at the left as well.

croadyman

Midfield battles aren't just due to the 2/3 players actually in the midfield though. A proper playmaking/creative winger like a Grealish or Sancho will arguably do more to help us control the game than an actual midfielder would.
I can't see it happening but IF by some miracle we actually do still sign an established RW and it does improve our performances in games against low block teams next season despite not signing a DM I will come on here and admit that you called it right

laughtersassassin

Rumours we have settled on Halaand as our big target. Very smart by the club if true.

Vital we get him after not getting Sancho.

laughtersassassin

I wouldn’t get your hopes up after the club struck out on Sancho.
I'm not hence why I said vital we actually get him this time.

But after last year their is no excuses not to pay up. If Dortmund set a price this summer we have to go for it.

RUCK4444

Rumours we have settled on Halaand as our big target. Very smart by the club if true.

Vital we get him after not getting Sancho.
We have to get him. It’s absolutely paramount, there is no easy alternative if we lose out on him and the striker position this season has highlighted the fact we simply won’t properly challenge in the league without an elite striker.

If we could get Haaland and one of either a DM or CB then that would represent an awesome summer.

Right now I’d take Haaland and no other signings if I had to but other areas of weakness do still need rectifying. Hopefully we can really push on this summer.

Giggsy13

I'm not hence why I said vital we actually get him this time.

But after last year their is no excuses not to pay up. If Dortmund set a price this summer we have to go for it.
It’s going to be a tough getting him this summer and Dortmund won’t budge much on their valuation even with a buyout clause kicking in next summer. I think they’re prepared to keep him another season in hopes of securing champions league football even if it comes at the cost of a lower fee. If we want him now, we’ll
have to smash our record fee. My guess, £120 million plus. The glazers won’t agree to that.

I also think Raiola and Haaland see the value of waiting it out another year to allow more clubs to come to the table when the buyout clause kicks in. Raiola will want competition, which in turn will start a bidding war on agent fees and player salary/bonuses.

laughtersassassin

It’s going to be a tough getting him this summer and Dortmund won’t budge much on their valuation even with a buyout clause kicking in next summer. I think they’re prepared to keep him another season in hopes of securing champions league football even if it comes at the cost of a lower fee. If we want him now, we’ll
have to smash our record fee. My guess, £120 million plus. The glazers won’t agree to that.

I also think Raiola and Haaland see the value of waiting it out another year to allow more clubs to come to the table when the buyout clause kicks in. Raiola will want competition, which in turn will start a bidding war on agent fees and player salary/bonuses.
He is worth every penny of that tbf.

Hopefully Ole has some leverage on Ed and the Glazers after last year's shit show summer.

The chance is small but there is a chance.

Would be a lot more doable if Dortmund miss out on CL but they are picking up form

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
After what his father did to Roy Keane I can't see how Keane would let that family anywhere near Old Trafford.

ShinjiNinja26

Shame it's coming from the total bullshitter Luckhurst.
Im sure every big club in Europe has came to the very same conclusion. It’s convincing him and agreeing a deal with Dortmund that’s the hard part as I’m sure we all know with the whole Sancho saga last summer.

Jaxa

So are we all in agreement that we would prefer Haaland > Sancho because there is no way we get both, we will struggle to get 1 tbf but I do think both of them are on our radar,

For me having Haaland in that team can win you trophies single handedly he's that good, he would certainly improve the whole team with his quality, with Sancho he would of course improve that right hand side and add more goals into the attack but I just don't feel he has that same aura that Haaland would bring, like having a Ronaldo or an RVP in your team.

Plus with Amad here now who will operate on the RW I think i'd prefer looking at signing a cheaper RW wing option like Buendia to compete with Amad if it meant we could put most of the funds on Haaland.

Judas

Open to offers
I think as awful as it might sound, one of our best ways of getting him is, and without putting in some dafty release clause, that we won't stand in his way if we get a great offer for him in 3-4 years time if he wants to go. City won't promise that, Real won't, PSG won't. I know people will have a shit fit at the mere suggestion of us being a stepping stone of sorts because we're Manchester United blah blah blah, but its being realistic.

NZT-One

Im sure every big club in Europe has came to the very same conclusion. It’s convincing him and agreeing a deal with Dortmund that’s the hard part as I’m sure we all know with the whole Sancho saga last summer.
I get the exact same feeling from that news... I mean, most if not all clubs are in search of the next elite striker - Bayern plans for After-Lewandowski, Real for After-Benzema, Juve, Barcelona reportedly, Chelsea potentially, Liverpool possibly, Man City maybe. Just take a pick. I am not unhappy, that our club tries to target the absolute top-shelf. But lets be real here, do we offer the best chance to win trophies and individual honors? The best chances in comparison to our competitors? I am a bit afraid that we are forced into a similar as with Sancho last year - targeting the hottest shit and and then be left standing in the rain in the end. Lets try to get him, but please prepare at least one or two back-up plans. There is more than enough to be upgraded within the team - there is no point pretending that only one player holds us back to win everything.

I think as awful as it might sound, one of our best ways of getting him is, and without putting in some dafty release clause, that we won't stand in his way if we get a great offer for him in 3-4 years time if he wants to go. City won't promise that, Real won't, PSG won't. I know people will have a shit fit at the mere suggestion of us being a stepping stone of sorts because we're Manchester United blah blah blah, but its being realistic.
Absolutely agree. Lets accept that we are currently not the big dog and deal with it. As long as it doesn't become some sort of habit, I don't see any issues with that whatsoever. Especially as Haaland gives me some mercenary vibes anywas.

Giggsy13

He is worth every penny of that tbf.

Hopefully Ole has some leverage on Ed and the Glazers after last year's shit show summer.

The chance is small but there is a chance.

Would be a lot more doable if Dortmund miss out on CL but they are picking up form
I think if Dortmund miss out on champions league they’ll cash in on Sancho instead. This is a hard deal to get done this summer. The club will need to show some ambition and desire to overpay this year for Haaland to prevent other clubs from having a chance next season. We didn’t do that with Sancho last summer and the cynic in me suggests we don’t do that with Haaland either.

Roboc7

I think if Dortmund miss out on champions league they’ll cash in on Sancho instead. This is a hard deal to get done this summer. The club will need to show some ambition and desire to overpay this year for Haaland to prevent other clubs from having a chance next season. We didn’t do that with Sancho last summer and the cynic in me suggests we don’t do that with Haaland either.
Haaland has to be very eager to join as well, stay another year and he might have a wider choice of where to go. I don’t think Sancho wasn’t desperate enough to try and force a move last summer and Haaland may well be he same.

Bwuk

If they don't get CL I think both Sancho and Haaland will want out anyway.

red_de_pologne

Absolutely 0 % chance we pull off a deal like this, the most sought after player in Europe with oil clubs queuing up to spend 100 million + on him.
Non starter.

Tarrou

about 1% of us think this is going to happen

but I guarantee come silly season a good 50% of us (including me) will be almost certain this is on

happens every year, as soon as the bullshit merchants in the press start sounding off for a few clicks we all get giddy

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Let me put it this way - this man joins and we’re winning the league three years in a row. Sign him

Cloud7

Unlike Sancho, who I agreed with the club’s stance that he wasn’t worth the money Dortmund wanted for him, I think we should definitely pay whatever it takes to get Haaland in.

Status
Not open for further replies.