ESPN: Man United missed all of Solskjaer's targets including Sancho, Grealish - sources

baskinginthesun

He draws that list based on what he's told the club can do though! LVG's list of targets was similiarly unrealistic, again because he was allowed to believe the club were capable of obtaining those sort of players.

If the people drawing up the list of transfer targets are given an unrealistic idea of what the club are willing to do then the unrealistic transfer list you're left with is the club's fault, not theirs.

If Solskjaer's targets were as ludicrously unrealistic as you say then it should have taken all of ten minutes on the club's part to explain the reality of the situation to him, so he could come up with an appropriate list.
Yeppers! Woodward should have told Ole to get fecked if he knew that list wasn't obtainable. I don't necessarily blame Ole for shooting for the stars when it comes to the targets. He want's to win trophies and he needs his players to do that and he was probably given some idea that his list was doable.

RedDevil@84

Again - read again. Not my fault if you dont get the context. I said, this cultural reset transfer shit is a messed up one and that's down to Ole.

I have repeatedly said blame Ed for not getting a right wing but not for not getting 2 of them. Hey I am no financial genius but I was 100% that we aren't spending money on both Sancho and Jack. If that was the list provided by Ole, then God save us.
Are you on some kind of WUM here? The question is if Sancho or Grealish were non attainable targets, it would take Woodward 5 mins to say that to Ole. So that Ole can give a revised lists or go ahead and say we are done for the transfer window.
Why would they drag the whole thing over the whole window and then make some buys in the final hours?

Jeffthered

I think he isn’t knee jerking after the start of this season because our defensive record last season was one of the best in Europe.

Now I know as well as anybody they have been shambolic the start of this season but it’s hard to prioritise a position we were relatively strong in a matter of months ago.

I don’t particularly rate Lindelof or Bailly so I would have liked an improvement to partner Maguire. However the manager may feel confident we can recapture that defensive solidity of last season (we shall see.)
Last season was not some great achievement imo, sorry.. What and who are Man Utd ? A team satisfied with a top four finish, a country mile behind the team in second let alone the Champions? You trust last season as a standard for our team, club then that's up to you. Yes it was an improvement on the year before (which was real s***), but I haven't seen four top defenders at United for years now, and if OGS cannot see that as a priority, and if he,as you suggest, may feel 'confident' in them, then I am pretty much lost for words.

We're all over the place at the back, both defensively and as a unit that begins to build our play.

We keep buying and overpaying for Defenders, and how many are actually good enough? I'm fed up with it. Get some top defenders in.

reddev3

On the bright side I guess we do have a D.O.F now seeing as though Woodward is picking the transfers.

Highfather_24

I think Ole would have told the DOF i need to strengthen RW and CM and the DOF would have looked for the players suitable and affordable. Ole wouldnt have had a choice.
Which is fine by me. Better a DOF making that decision than Woodward. I would imagine the manager might give some suggestions. But even if not, idc. I think we need a DOF to make sure that even if OGS is fired, the next manager that comes in, doesnt have to overhaul the whole squad. He can just pick up the baton and run.

RUCK4444

Last season was not some great achievement imo, sorry.. What and who are Man Utd ? A team satisfied with a top four finish, a country mile behind the team in second let alone the Champions? You trust last season as a standard for our team, club then that's up to you. Yes it was an improvement on the year before (which was real s***), but I haven't seen four top defenders at United for years now, and if OGS cannot see that as a priority, and if he,as you suggest, may feel 'confident' in them, then I am pretty much lost for words.

We're all over the place at the back, both defensively and as a unit that begins to build our play.

We keep buying and overpaying for Defenders, and how many are actually good enough? I'm fed up with it. Get some top defenders in.
Again, the same defenders (who I agree have been poor this season) had a very good record last season. It is possible to play players back into form, perhaps Ole is more confident in his ability to do that than you are.

USREDEVIL

I can only imagine what Ole is thinking at the moment. Got 0 of his requested signings, the defense has been a complete shit show, just lost 6-1 and the other teams vying for 4th have all strengthened, some quite significantly. If he was thinking long-term before, he has to be thinking far more short term now.

Kostov

I can only imagine what Ole is thinking at the moment. Got 0 of his requested signings, the defense has been a complete shit show, just lost 6-1 and the other teams vying for 4th have all strengthened, some quite significantly. If he was thinking long-term before, he has to be thinking far more short term now.
He has enough problems of his own design that he should worry. I hope he thinks of them also.

Highfather_24

I don't mind missing out on either given the prices quoted. In fact I would say not spending 120m on a player is the most sensible thing the club has done in a long time. I would love nothing more than finding a successful formula where we rarely have to break the bank in order to improve our team. We have to get there sooner or later because we can't keep spending crazy money on average players.

But it's possible to back the manager even if you don't get any of the players on his wish list. Sancho and Grealish aren't the only players in the world that would have improved us. Where is the alternative thinking from the club? Where is the plan B? Liverpool finished 33 points ahead of us, they managed to find a player that would improve their starting XI. The only signing that I think improves our starting XI is Telles (and I base that solely on his attacking stats which are a bit skewed because of set piece duties) but the jury is still out on whether he actually is an improvement or not.

If Sancho was off the cards, why were we still 'monitoring' him until deadline day? Dortmund were loud and clear on their stance, why didn't we do the same? Loud and clear stance that we weren't going to pursue him, and then swiftly move onto other targets? Why did it take deadline day to do our signings when the window had been open for months, and the season started weeks before? Even then, Telles was the only one of the new arrivals actually present in England at the time of signing. And one of the signings isn't even happening before January but was announced now just to save face.

Why did we only manage to sell one player in the entire window when he have a bloated squad desperately in need of a serious trim? Why were the final documents of that player literally done in the last minute of the Italian window, meaning if it happened a minute later the transfer wouldn't have gone through?

We're missing out on some of the absolute top talents because of incompetence. We had the chance to pick up the hottest CF prospect with our manager having worked with him previously. It's pretty damning when Haaland senior says "we wanted to go to a club where the whole club wants him, not just the manager". He also said the direction of the club in the last 5 or so years was important when they chose Dortmund. That's a brutal and honest assessment of where we are as a club. Here is a player who has openly stated that Ole has had a very big role in his development and he'd gladly work with him again. But when it was decision time they chose the club with the better direction rather than teaming up with a manager he's very fond of. The footballing world isn't blind, everyone can see we're being run by idiots.

We've established ourselves as a massive laughing stock in the market over the years. Woodward and co are running a circus, not a football club. I wonder how many more failed managerial appointments and incompetent transfer windows it will take before people realise what the root of the problem is.
This. Perfectly said.

Its unreal that more people are not calling out the incompetence of Woodward and co. Glad the likes of Neville and Evra are speaking out.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You still haven't answered my question. Hows not getting Sancho and Grealish a woodward problem ? Did you expect 200m to be spent during a pandemic?
I didn't. If you think I'm basing this on this window then you're mistaken. He's been a joke all along.

monosierra

Then who picks the player considering we do not have a football DoF. Woodward?? God bless our club
Well he is the de facto Director of Football, unqualified as he is. Woodward seems to prefer blocbuster, statement signings while his managers have different preferences based on their agenda and philosophies. Its a marriage designed for maximum instability. Don't forget Woodward was the one bragging around the industry that United had so much spending power only to find out that kind of bragging leads us to a poor bargaining position.

shahzy

Grealish has more to his game and the personality to be a creative leader in our team. He would have brought much more than VDB, imo. For that reason, the price wouldn't have mattered to me.
Evidently it mattered enough to the club. We don't have unlimited funds like oil clubs. Its about maximising what we can get with what we do have. Grealish is not that. Would be another Maguire. Decent enough player at a way over inflated price which would eventually crush him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's a problem if he ever thought the club would be able to sign both Grealish and Sancho.
Ole's tactics are pretty basic. He needs the individual brilliance of top top players for him to succeed

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Imagine being Solskjær giving team talks after the premier league restart, telling players if only they can get top 4, the club could add Sancho, Grealish and Upamecano to the squad and they could challenge for the title, only for the club to renege on that promise and not deliver on a single one of them. His credibility with the squad would be utterly shot and that partly explains Shaw's comments on needing additions as well as the hangover to start the season.

Edy2

am really struggling to retain interest and support in this club. I feel like I'm submitting to something rotten and impure.
I get the sense that Liverpool or Leeds are pure sporting projects when I watch them. But connecting with United is a very dirty feeling nowadays.
Go support them then! Simple. Such moaning on here, it's absolutely draining.

Eddy_JukeZ

Imagine being Solskjær giving team talks after the premier league restart, telling players if only they can get top 4, the club could add Sancho, Grealish and Upamecano to the squad and they could challenge for the title, only for the club to renege on that promise and not deliver on a single one of them. His credibility with the squad would be utterly shot and that partly explains Shaw's comments on needing additions as well as the hangover to start the season.
He would be a fool if he told them that.

Those 3 players would cost 200m+

That was never going to happen during COVID-19.

Flytan

I mean like others have said the issue is Sancho. it's clear we saw Grealish wasn't happening early and switched interest to VDB (which makes sense and was sensible). I know management is incompetent but I think they just completely fecked up the whole saga with Sancho. And they should be blamed for missing that one.

Other ones I don't really think we "missed out". One of them signed a new contract to stay at his club for an extra season like as soon as the window opened.

It's clear the window was a disaster but in reality if the club had just leaked at the start of September that we weren't pursuing Sancho due to covid issues I don't think people would be as pissed off as they are now.

Edy2

Everything is so directed towards transfers these days. We have an unbelievable set of kids coming through that will soon be coming into their own. What about them? What about garner, laird in the midfield? Chong who is doing well at a big German club. It's not all about shiny new signings that half the time don't work out anyway!

patty123

No. its Gary Neville hyping the fanbase up on Sky Sports
Guy be better off spending his time worrying about his own club the greedy little swine, but then thats deflects away from the fact they are seen as the city of the lower leagues, owners of that one club worth 3 and a half billion and he is demanding EPL bail out the likes of his team.

If Ole wanted Sancho & Grealish for 200 million... more fool him.

Blame Woodward all you like, but that would've been utterly fecking idiotic. I don't even know where Grealish would play.

Amir

Football club fails to land first choice targets shocker.

Like we‘re the only team in the history of football that has ever happened too. The key is having good backup/alternative options, who can be cheaper and work better than the first choice.
Aye. We didn't get Gazza, we didn't get Shearer, we didn't get Kluivert, we didn't get Celio Silva (OK, lucky there probably!), we didn't get Ronaldinho, we didn't get Robben, we didn't get Batistuta, and we didn't get tons of other players we had an interest in one time or another.

We moved on without them.

He would be a fool if he told them that.

Those 3 players would cost 200m+

That was never going to happen during COVID-19.
Widely reported that Villa weren't even willing to listen to anything under 80m, hence why Grealish signed the new 5 year contract.

Widely reported that Dortmund wanted 120m.

2 players, 200m quid.

Aye. We didn't get Gazza, we didn't get Shearer, we didn't get Kluivert, we didn't get Celio Silva (OK, lucky there probably!), we didn't get Ronaldinho, we didn't get Robben, we didn't get Batistuta, and we didn't get tons of other players we had an interest in one time or another.

We didn't get Paul fecking Hirst for God's sake. So we went and got Eric.

Eddy_JukeZ

Widely reported that Villa weren't even willing to listen to anything under 80m, hence why Grealish signed the new 5 year contract.

Widely reported that Dortmund wanted 120m.

2 players, 200m quid.
Exactly.

That would be extremely difficult in a normal climate. Never mind during a global pandemic.

Amir

Very good post. Just to add that LvG didn’t particularly want expensive players. He wanted players who he thought would fit his system best, yet he was vetoed.
He says he talked to the club about Neymar, Muller and Ramos, so some of his targets were quite high. He seemed stunned we can't get those players...

We didn't get Paul fecking Hirst for God's sake. So we went and got Eric.
David. ;)

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
ESPN didn't have a clue who our 'targets' were all summer.

A simple bit of common sense said we were never going to spend the amounts required for that list.

Greck

I'm sorry but that entire list is galactico targets. Sancho alone would have crossed out the other targets. Unless they told him the budget was far higher than it was he should have had some targets that weren't a continuation of last summer's overpayments

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He says he talked to the club about Neymar, Muller and Ramos, so some of his targets were quite high. He seemed stunned we can't get those players...

David. ;)
Well he did say about Neymar and of course if Neymar is available, you explore the possibility of signing him. Though, after Neymar it was Sadio Mane and Mahrez whom were very attainable.

Anyway there is a clear pattern on us consistently underperforming in the market no matter who the manager is or who his targets are.

Stacks

Everything is so directed towards transfers these days. We have an unbelievable set of kids coming through that will soon be coming into their own. What about them? What about garner, laird in the midfield? Chong who is doing well at a big German club. It's not all about shiny new signings that half the time don't work out anyway!
coaching is no longer the rule. It is transfer window, then the next, changing personnel, next transfer window, new players, more players and so on. Some managers in England are mostly reliant on individual talent nowadays
I'm sorry but that entire list is galactico targets. Sancho alone would have crossed out the other targets. Unless they told him the budget was far higher than it was he should have had some targets that weren't a continuation of last summer's overpayments
That's the word I was looking for. It was a galactico dream like Perez was in our ears

wolvored

He bought half that defence though so he must take some of the blame, and the cost of the players he wanted he might as well have asked for Messi

Highfather_24

So many questions :

- Why did we delay 4 signings till deadline day?
- Why did we not find an alternative to Sancho?
- Why were we chasing Sancho till deadline day?
- Why are we so bad at managing to trim our squad?
- Why have we not bought a single undisputed first XI player?

Truly baffling. Heads should roll for this kind of incompetence.

Brophs

The One and Only
How many managers do get their first choice list of players, let alone at the sorts of prices mentioned?

Abhinav

I don’t know if some of you are being intentionally obtuse but just because Ole allegedly had Grealish, Sancho, Upamecano/ Ake as his primary preferred targets, it doesn’t mean he expects to get all of them at the same time. He may have indicated he is ok with getting Vdb instead of Grealish if it means that Sancho is gettable. Not getting any of the first choice players in the list and not strengthening any of the key first team roles is something that Woodward and Judge should have to be answerable for.

Acole9

Outstanding

Absolutely, so many great players we've missed out on (Players miles better than Sancho) we'll get by.

Greck

I don’t know if some of you are being intentionally obtuse but just because Ole allegedly had Grealish, Sancho, Upamecano/ Ake as his primary preferred targets, it doesn’t mean he expects to get all of them at the same time. He may have indicated he is ok with getting Vdb instead of Grealish if it means that Sancho is gettable. Not getting any of the first choice players in the list and not strengthening any of the key first team roles is something that Woodward and Judge should have to be answerable for.
But a recent article posted from the athletic says both Ole and the club were insistent on holding out for Sancho making it hard to get alternatives till late in the window