ETH and the new owners - how worried are you?

pacifictheme

I think it would be silly to not be a little bit worried about what a new owner may do both to the manager and the playing squad.

But my hope is that unlike psg, Newcastle and City, who were average to crap teams with very little pulling power when bought, United are already a big club who compete for trophies and can attract great players like casemiro and Varane.

My hope is that any new owner will see what ten hag has started building and work with him. We don't need a statement signing, we need players that fit the right profile to continue evolving the squad in ten hags style of play.

Yik

Is it not obvious now to any top football club's management that the rarest commodity in football, even rarer than a quality 9, is a quality manager.

Varun

Staff
Not worried at all. People will riot if there are even reports of him being fired and no new owner wants that

Lastwolf

Maybe not Galatico in name but obviously Boehly has tried as near as damn it to do it with the likes of Enzo and Mudryk
Nah, he's just overpaying for promising youth players/ post world cup hype, that's not really the Galatico model, that'd be going out an getting Saka off Arsenal or Salah, something like that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bit of an understatement.
Is it? We are in course for 78 point season (less than what Mourinho reached), and we can get out of Europa in Thursday.

There are signs of massive progress going on, but depending on timing, the same can have been said for any manager we had except Moyes and Rangnick.

Lentwood

Not worried at all if it's the Qatari bid that wins out. If we focus purely on the football-side of the business, Newcastle, PSG and Manchester City have all been pretty well-run (so far).

CM

Not worried. The backlash would be huge, it won't happen.

The Firestarter

Is it? We are in course for 78 point season (less than what Mourinho reached), and we can get out of Europa in Thursday.

There are signs of massive progress going on, but depending on timing, the same can have been said for any manager we had except Moyes and Rangnick.
I'd say he is doing fantastic because of the approach he has with players and the building of a sense of togetherness which I couldn't say I've seen in the other managers , except maybe Ole in the beginning. But here it's combined with the tactical expertise and the other aspects of his no-nonsense management.

I just don't want to think how Jose would have dealt with Sancho.

Pickle85

Not worried at all as there’s nothing to worry about it. Deal with that if it comes, but it’s clear to anyone with a brain that he’s the reason we’ve risen so rapidly.
Any owner with half a brain can see EtH is taking this team places and just needs a some additional backing on transfers. He won't be replaced.
If you've a quarter of a brain youll see ETH is the reason were looking so good atm.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd say he is doing fantastic because of the approach he has with players and the building of a sense of togetherness which I couldn't say I've seen in the other managers , except maybe Ole in the beginning. But here it's combined with the tactical expertise and the other aspects of his no-nonsense management.

I just don't want to think how Jose would have dealt with Sancho.
I also remember Caf thinking that LVG at some stage was doing fantastic and being called a genius, same for Mourinho. With people also being very happy with Ole.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that he has been better than all of them, and I am glad with the job he has done so far, but it also has hardly been fantastic. Fantastic I would have called Conte at Chelsea on his first season when he won the league with 95 points or whatever. Ten Hag has been more ‘promising’ and ‘very good early signs’ rather than ‘fantastic’.

klayton88

I'm deeply worried. Petrified even. Starting to think we might be better off with the Glazers?
I think I'd rather pay £4 for a pint of warm flat piss, indefinitely, than even risk it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It depends on the individual. Most owners aren't incentivized to rock the boat when the club is successful and winning trophies (or on the verge of being so).
You might want to check on Chelsea and City's track record in that respect

Real Name

I also remember Caf thinking that LVG at some stage was doing fantastic and being called a genius, same for Mourinho. With people also being very happy with Ole.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that he has been better than all of them, and I am glad with the job he has done so far, but it also has hardly been fantastic. Fantastic I would have called Conte at Chelsea on his first season when he won the league with 95 points or whatever. Ten Hag has been more ‘promising’ and ‘very good early signs’ rather than ‘fantastic’.
Very good early signs in February? Early signs you see in 1st 2 months or something. Now good signs are evident and out there for all to see. OK you think it's not fantastic but on the other hand you're underestimating what he has done so far basing on what some thought about LVG and Ole.

Rojofiam

Not worried at all if it's the Qatari bid that wins out. If we focus purely on the football-side of the business, Newcastle, PSG and Manchester City have all been pretty well-run (so far).
PSG well run?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Mancini, won PL sacked the next year, Pellegrini got a little longer, Chelsea are even worse

If it's INEOS or Qatar then I think ETH is safe, one of the Hedge funds not so much, TBH if they did what Chelsea have done I think he'd quit and I wouldn't blame him!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Mancini, won PL sacked the next year, Pellegrini got a little longer, Chelsea are even worse

If it's INEOS or Qatar then I think ETH is safe, one of the Hedge funds not so much, TBH if they did what Chelsea have done I think he'd quit and I wouldn't blame him!
That happens and isn't exclusive to Sugardaddy ownership. Just look at how often Madrid have swapped managers over the years. Del Bosque literally got sacked days after winning La Liga in 03. Its simply down to the indvidual(s) leading a club, not because they are from a hedge fund or the like.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That happens and isn't exclusive to Sugardaddy ownership. Just look at how often Madrid have swapped managers over the years. Del Bosque literally got sacked days after winning La Liga in 03. Its simply down to the indvidual(s) leading a club, not because they are from a hedge fund or the like.
True but it's not really the way British football worked until the advent of the City and Chelsea takeovers

SAF wouldn't get the legacy he has if he was starting out now, because he'd have been sacked before he actually won anything, sounds mad but it's true. Pep will get the boot at City if the CL doesn't arrive soon

Bertie Wooster

There's a little nagging worry because new owners do tend to look to bring in 'their appointments' sooner rather than later - just like how new managers tend to look to bring in 'their players' rather than the ones they inherited.

So I think there's a chance he'd get a little less time during any bad spell than he might do under the current regime who appointed him.

I'm not worried short term, as he's definitely done enough to prove to any new owners that there's no need for any instant change. But, for the above reasons, there's a slight worry, if they're 'that type' of impatient owner, then they might not give him the opportunity he'd deserve to ride it out.

But time will tell on that one. We don't even know who the new owners are to be, let alone what type of owners they'll prove to be. So more of just a background concern than any major worry.

Blake's 7

CR7 "Hi boss you know I'm the GOAT don't you?"
Al Nassr owner "Yes of course Cristiano, that's why we pay you a gazillion dollars to play in our no alcohol pub league"
CR7 " And you know how Manchester United are the greatest team in the world?"
Al Nassr owner "they used to be"
CR7 " Imagine how much you'd be adored if you bought them and I returned to lead them to glory again - of course we'd get rid of all those who disrespected me"
Al Nassr owner "great idea, pack your bags whilst I find my cheque book"

Still can't imagine a scenario in which a state backed owner, with more money than sense wouldn't screw us over?

justsomebloke

I'd like to think any new owner would recognise the obvious fact that the results he's achieved has put the club on a positive trajectory it hasn't been on for many years, and that sticking with his project represents a path to sporting success that is straightforward and credible compared to the alternatives, and also not exceedingly expensive. In short - they should see him as someone who will make their life easier, better and simpler, if just left to get on with it. You'd be right stupid as an owner if you mess with that.

LordSpud

Unless the new owners are going to turf our SAF too, I dont think there will be any problems at all. Sir Alex loves Erik.

RuudTom83

If not EtH then who? I can't think of any other candidate who the new owners would be desperate to sign.

There are no Mourinho-esque managers around...and Poch/Tuchel have both failed (to some degree) Zidane? but he doesn't seem to interested in management and I'd guess would rather not live in Manchester.

So I think EtH would be seen as an important asset to keep rather than replace.

Bwuk

I think Qatar would be pretty hands off with the actual playing side of things. I think he'd get a large budget and allowed to do what he wants with it.

It'd be behind the scenes more they get involved. They'd want us to be the best possible facilities etc.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not worried at all.

Qatar won’t get involved with Erik who will be allowed to continue to run the football side of things. Only time they will intervene is when allowing him funds for whoever he wants to sign.

lex talionis

Not worried in the least. It didn’t even occur to me that there might be a reason to worry until I saw this thread.

Abraxas

Not worried at all. You would have to think the new ownership would be total idiots for ETH's place to be under threat. Whatever or whoever they are, they are extremely unlikely to be idiots.

Rolaholic

Not in the slightest, he'll be here for the long haul regardless of ownership group

MinGin

We can fly if the relationship of new owner and ETH is like City and Pep
We will fall if it is like old Chelsea..

JimmyWils

I would hope that (assuming we end up with one of the 2 suggested choices) that they're both hands-off with the team management side of things. I expect that Qatari owners would definitely be like this, and the same with Jim Ratcliffe too given that he is supposedly a big fan and would want the best for the club.

Besides that I think both know that the vast majority of fans are fully aware of and behind EtH's plan for things going forward. If they decided to get rid of him as one of their first actions, then they have to know that they would be instantly getting the fans against them.

Reactions: oates

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
If new owners do come in then they should by all means get the club back on its feet finacially with no debt upgrade Stadium and training ground but otherwise leave as is, United dont need another Manager look at the job Ten Hag is doing, we dont need your Mbappe´s or Neymars or Messi´s we need player who are perfect for Ten Hag´s concept and buy into that. In no way should anyone come in and behave like Boehly as it just wont work, Chelsea is the perfect example of this and sooner rather than later Potter will be sacked.

fallengt

If you dont trust new owner then why dont you trust ETH eh?
Chelsea is a nothing case. One just needs to take a good look at them right now to see how Boehly's plan working out for them.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Oh for fecks sake. He will get sacked if he majorly underperforms. Just like any manager in the bloody world.

Why on earth would a new owner sack him if he’s performing so well?

Fahad Jawaid

I am not at all worried, this is the last thing one should be worried about with respect to how he has performed and changed our club within a short span of time.

Whether it's Qatar, INEOS or any American Hedge fund the safest person is Ten Hag. Anybody with an ounce of sense will never touch him and trust me they will face a huge backlash from fans.

I am pro Qatar with the takeover, but if they touch Ten Hag it will not take a second for me to turn on them.