Ethnic Cleansing in Myanmar

Nikhil

Just like the Ottoman Empire systematically killing 1.5 million Armenians, 300,000 Assyrian Christians and 750,000 Greeks. Ethnic cleansing on a large scale. They killed 3 million Christians. They carried out genocides on the Armenian, Assyrian and Greek populations which resulted in large scale population transfers. Millions of Pontic Greeks had to leave what is modern day Turkey and go to Greece. That is why there are no Greeks, Armenians and Assyrians in Turkey now.

RedTiger

Half mast
Just like the Ottoman Empire systematically killing 1.5 million Armenians, 300,000 Assyrian Christians and 750,000 Greeks. Ethnic cleansing on a large scale. They killed 3 million Christians. They carried out genocides on the Armenian, Assyrian and Greek populations which resulted in large scale population transfers. Millions of Pontic Greeks had to leave what is modern day Turkey and go to Greece. That is why there are no Greeks, Armenians and Assyrians in Turkey now.
How should the Ottoman empire have been punished? What would have been a justified response to the Armenian and Greek cleansing?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't see why that's relevant here either.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Past abhorrent atrocities justifies revenge atrocities?

This post tells us more about you than the present issues encountered in Myanmar.

Last edited:

Nikhil

Past abhorrent atrocities justifies revenge atrocities?

This post tells us more about you than the present issues encountered in Myanmar.
I'm not sure what you mean by "revenge" atrocities. I was pointing out that abuses by more powerful groups against minorities and marginalised communities will sadly always take place. Do you think there will be lasting peace between everyone everywhere in the world in the near future?

In a slightly different manner, you now see multinational corporations grabbing land from poor farmers in numerous places worldover. Whilst it is not genocide or ethnic cleansing, it is taking away of their rights and livelihood. Discrimination on another scale.

How should the Ottoman empire have been punished? What would have been a justified response to the Armenian and Greek cleansing?
I'm not sure. What would you suggest? The Allies defeated Nazi Germany at about the same time and divided the country. Maybe the same could have been done with Turkey and now Myanmar?

RedTiger

Half mast
I'm not sure what you mean by "revenge" atrocities. I was pointing out that abuses by more powerful groups against minorities and marginalised communities will sadly always take place. Do you think there will be lasting peace between everyone everywhere in the world in the near future?

In a slightly different manner, you now see multinational corporations grabbing land from poor farmers in numerous places worldover. Whilst it is not genocide or ethnic cleansing, it is taking away of their rights and livelihood. Discrimination on another scale.

I'm not sure. What would you suggest? The Allies defeated Nazi Germany at about the same time and divided the country. Maybe the same could have been done with Turkey and now Myanmar?
Well, Turkey did lose 3/4s of their overall territory, a punishment of sorts but there's obviously plenty of people who don't think it was enough.

How do you think Myanmar should be broken up? Along ethnic lines or linguistic lines?

I'm actually surprised you're in favour of partition as a means of resolvement.

Nikhil

Well, Turkey did lose 3/4s of their overall territory, a punishment of sorts but there's obviously plenty of people who don't think it was enough.

How do you think Myanmar should be broken up? Along ethnic lines or linguistic lines?

I'm actually surprised you're in favour of partition as a means of resolvement.
I don't know much (anything) about Myanmar. I doubt the West meddling in South East Asia would be seen favourably after the horror that was the Vietnam War. Also the US is now focussed on a belligerent China and expanding Chinese influence and also on the events taking place in Turkey and Syria rather than what is happening in Myanmar.

US involvement in Vietnam was one of the most unnecessary things in history. 1 million killed by the US army, widespread use of napalm and other chemical weapons. Abhorrent war. Also, the US achieved nothing out of going to Vietnam.

Saddam used chemical weapons and massacred Kurds and Shias after decades of discrimination under his rule, the West got rid of him. But nothing will happen in Myanmar or anywhere else because it's not the priority of the US.

The United

Will be called fake news/appropriate response by the likes of @The United
The two journalists were charged with something else as I understood. But, mainly it was for writing such a piece that many people in rakhine thought was far from the truth. The state government wants to sue the reuters bla bla. Who knows.

I, myself, find the story weird as it was in too details and putting a lot of stuff like 'people who participated in killing' or ' Buddhist monks' etc. I don't doubt some shit happened around the area a lot. But, I really doubt people would come forward and talk like that even if they were involved.

I read the below piece the other day and I thought it was a fair one generally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/world/asia/rohingya-myanmar-camps.html

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Can anyone give an account of the political powers at play here?

UN stance and whether there's any hope of them intervening? China probably don't want another US/west presence in the area? Or with everything going on the middle east nobody has an appetite to go in?

India - surely they'll have a refugee crisis if people are escaping there? In turn Bangladesh?

NoLogo

Can anyone give an account of the political powers at play here?

UN stance and whether there's any hope of them intervening? China probably don't want another US/west presence in the area? Or with everything going on the middle east nobody has an appetite to go in?

India - surely they'll have a refugee crisis if people are escaping there? In turn Bangladesh?
That I would like to know as well. Seems like all the UN is doing, is wagging their finger disapprovingly set up some demands to stop this and don't really seem to have any power to do anything if Burma doesn't act accordingly.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I read the below piece the other day and I thought it was a fair one generally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/world/asia/rohingya-myanmar-camps.html
So does that mean you've changed your mind on this stance?

This kind of ridiculous comments does not help anyone.

No one is raiding their villages for no reasons. If people go there and stay there for awhile, they will see that people leave them alone as no one approachs them for the fear of getting their heads chopped.
Because it not only presents a different perspective, but a different view on the facts, than this essential component of the article:

But false narratives devalue the genuine horrors — murder, rape and mass burnings of villages — that have been inflicted upon the Rohingya by Myanmar’s security forces.

The United

So does that mean you've changed your mind on this stance?

Because it not only presents a different perspective, but a different view on the facts, than this essential component of the article:
I don't think I have a firm opinion that the local Arakineses are always right and there is nothing else going on. I just thought the raid was fair as no government would or should just sit there and watch getting their outposts raided and their troops murdered again and again.

But, I certainly don't agree with hate groups from everywhere trying to put their agenda into this events and make things worse. My opinion is that there were victims from both sides. But, some media made it look like only one side was having all of it.

I don't support some troops killing civilians with some intention no matter what they thought they were doing. Some recently went to jail for it and I welcomed that and I argued with anyone who said it was not right that they were protection the natives.

Kaos

Yep, pretty damning report by the UN, essentially labelled it a genocide:

Myanmar's military accused of genocide in damning UN report

Mission concludes army has carried out ‘gravest crimes’ against Rohingya in Rakhine and minorities elsewhere

Myanmar’s military has been accused of genocide against the Rohingya in Rakhine state in a damning UN report that alleged the army was responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity against minorities across the country.

The report, based on a fact-finding mission, said it found conclusive evidence that the actions of the country’s armed forces, known as the Tatmadaw, “undoubtedly amounted to the gravest crimes under international law” in Rakhine as well as in Kachin and Shan, states also riven by internal conflicts.

The UN investigators were denied access to Myanmar by the government but interviewed 875 witnesses who had fled the country. They found that the military were “killing indiscriminately, gang-raping women, assaulting children and burning entire villages” in Rakhine, home to the Muslim Rohingya, and in Shan and Kachin. The Tatmadaw also carried out murders, imprisonments, enforced disappearances, torture, rapes and used sexual slavery and other forms of sexual violence, persecution and enslavement – all of which constitute crimes against humanity.

In northern Rakhine, the mission also found evidence of mass extermination and deportation.

“The fact-finding mission’s powerful report and clear recommendations demonstrate the obvious need for concrete steps to advance criminal justice for atrocious crimes, instead of more hollow condemnations and expressions of concern,” said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “This report should eliminate any doubt about the urgency of investigating those responsible for mass atrocities.”

The mission, prompted by the UN security council visit in March, called for an investigation into the military’s actions in Rakhine. The campaign of violence against the Rohingya began a year ago. An estimated 25,000 people have been killed and 700,000 have fled over the border to Bangladesh.

Laying out the legal argument for genocide to have taken place, the UN report said: “The crimes in Rakhine state, and the manner in which they were perpetrated, are similar in nature, gravity and scope to those that have allowed genocidal intent to be established in other contexts.”

Individuals singled out for investigation and prosecution for genocide and crimes against humanity included Min Aung Hlaing, the commander-in-chief of the Tatmadaw, who has openly stated his intention to solve “the long-standing Bengali problem”.

“There is sufficient information to warrant the investigation and prosecution of senior officials in the Tatmadaw chain of command, so that a competent court can determine their liability for genocide in relation to the situation in Rakhine state,” the report said.

Minutes after the report was released, Facebook removed 18 accounts and 52 pages associated with the Myanmar military, including that of Min Aung Hlaing. It comes in the wake of months of criticism of the company for failing to combat the spread of hate speech on Facebook in Myanmar. The Tatmadaw have often used their Facebook pages to spread disinformation and anti-Rohingya sentiment, such as photos of dismembered children posted to Min Aung Hlaing’s page, claiming they were killed by “Muslim terrorists”.

“We want to prevent them from using our service to further inflame ethnic and religious tensions,” the company said. The pages and accounts that were removed had a total of almost 12 million followers.

The UN mission called for Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, to be investigated by the international criminal court (ICC). Although the country is not a signatory to the Rome statute, and therefore not under the jurisdiction of the court, ICC prosecutors are deliberating whether they can investigate the violence in Rakhine.

The UN report also prompted Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Fortify Rights and Save the Children to push for Myanmar to be investigated by the ICC.

“The international community has the responsibility to act to ensure justice and accountability,” said Tirana Hassan, the director of crisis response at Amnesty International. “Failing to do so sends a dangerous message that Myanmar’s military will not only enjoy impunity but is free to commit such atrocities again.”

Michael McGrath, the country director for Save the Children in Myanmar, added: “Children and their families have been murdered, sexually assaulted and forced to flee burning villages, and they have not yet seen the justice they deserve. Establishing the facts through the fact-finding mission was a critical first step to achieving justice; however now there must be a move towards investigations for prosecution.”

The UN report is very likely to anger Myanmar’s military and government, which have denied genocide has occurred in Rakhine and claimed that the Rohingya – whom they regularly refer to as “illegal Bengali immigrants” – instigated the violence by attacking security forces and then burning their own villages to the ground. Both the military and the civilian government, led by Aung San Suu Kyi, have stated that the actions of the armed forces were an appropriate response to “terrorists”.

The Tatmadaw’s own investigation, widely considered a farce, cleared the armed forces of all wrongdoing and the head of Aung San Suu Kyi’s newly established inquiry into Rakhine has said there would be no “finger-pointing, blaming, to say ‘you’re accountable’”.

The UN report criticised Aung San Suu Kyi’s passive role over the past year. “[She] has not used her de facto position as head of government, nor her moral authority, to stem or prevent the unfolding events in Rakhine state,” it said.

The UN said that, with Myanmar’s repeated failure to admit genocide had taken place and with the legal impunity given to the military, it fell to the international community to hold those responsible to account.

Mark Field, the UK’s minister of state for Asia and the Pacific, said “there cannot and must not be impunity for such acts”, but stopped short of calling for Myanmar to be referred to the ICC.

Mark Farmaner, the director of Burma Campaign UK, said a more forthright response was required by the UK government. “Theresa May must now support the referral of Burma to the international criminal court. By not supporting referring Burma to the international criminal court, Theresa May is in effect protecting Min Aung Hlaing and his military from attempts to bring them to justice.”

Let's see the international community's response now...

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Kaos

Nobel winner in the Hague to explain atrocities. Gambia have called the 1948 Genocide Act. Gambia ffs, where are all the other so called Muslim nations? Is this just a(nother) decorative procession or can we expect anything good to come out of it?
They don’t care, a bit like how they’re deafly silent on China’s ongoing ethnic cleansing of Ughurs.

They’ll pay lip service to Palestinian suffering to distract their respective populations and use religious solidarity to justify geopolitical campaigns (Syria), but they care little for the actual suffering imposed on those people.

Just look at how the Saudis and Erdogan are shamelessly chumming it up with Trump of all leaders.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
This kind of ridiculous comments does not help anyone.

No one is raiding their villages for no reasons. If people go there and stay there for awhile, they will see that people leave them alone as no one approachs them for the fear of getting their heads chopped.

Only when some terrorists among them and out of the area raided stations and security personnels, armed forces will go in the places they hid which happens to be in those villages more often not.

Many civilians reporters who have a lot of dislike for military reported about many villagers attacking security forces that were coming in to clear the areas.

The force will do what they do in almost everywhere else on earth when they get attacked like that. And it becomes some kind of twisted agenda as killing innocent civilians people. A few armed force personals died from those ambushes. And it happens all the time.

Again this is not to say some of the members of security forces didn't abuse their authority and went far in some cases. This is just to stating a fact from the government side.

In the age of people feding up with terrorism and calling for tougher measurements against it, can't blame the government for upsetting some.

The problem is many of them ran to play as refugees to get some aid which made the problem a lot bigger than it is and the narratives changed from a government clearing terrorism to a huge ethical cleansing at this moment.

And I don't even think a lot of horrific clips on the net have anything to do with this event or areas.
So what's your take these days?

The two soldiers confess their crimes in a monotone, a few blinks of the eye their only betrayal of emotion: executions, mass burials, village obliterations and rape.

The August 2017 order from his commanding officer was clear, Pvt. Myo Win Tun said in video testimony. “Shoot all you see and all you hear.”

He said he obeyed, taking part in the massacre of 30 Rohingya Muslims and burying them in a mass grave near a cell tower and a military base.

Around the same time, in a neighboring township, Pvt. Zaw Naing Tun said he and his comrades in another battalion followed a nearly identical directive from his superior: “Kill all you see, whether children or adults.”

“We wiped out about 20 villages,” Private Zaw Naing Tun said, adding that he, too, dumped bodies in a mass grave.

The two soldiers’ video testimony, recorded by a rebel militia, is the first time that members of the Tatmadaw, as Myanmar’s military is known, have openly confessed to taking part in what United Nations officials say was a genocidal campaign against the country’s Rohingya Muslim minority."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Foxbatt

Anyone who knew something about Myanmar knows the situation. It's even in Yangon there is discrimination. Muslim politicians are excluded from running for political office.
What these two soldiers told is first hand evidence for the court. It's nothing new to people especially from the region that there was a genocide.