EU unhappy with vaccination exports to non EU countries

Just seen that. I wonder if they’d have found those doses without the EU doing all the sabre-rattling they got so much stick for? I suspect not.
Absolutely no chance.

Clear to me the EU didn’t buy the production problem excuse for such an enormous drop in delivery promises, they likley suspect AZ are using the “best efforts” clause to shift vaccine to a higher priority bidder. Why else act like they have this week with wanting to put pre-authorisation on all exports?

Won’t surprise me at all if another 20 million doses get found soon enough due to these measures.

The EU has had a tough week, but 4.5m vulnerable people will be getting vaccines sooner due to that sabre rattling, so...

German news also now reporting that Pfizer are to deliver 75 million more doses to the EU in the second quarter.

Me thinks this transparency mechanism has already done it’s job, that’s a bump of almost 85 million in just a few days, almost like magic.

Safe to say I don’t trust these big pharmaceutical plcs at all. I think they’ve all been trying to use the “best effort‘s” clause to then ship vaccines as priority to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
German news also now reporting that Pfizer are to deliver 75 million more doses to the EU in the second quarter.

Me thinks this transparency mechanism has already done it’s job, that’s a bump of almost 85 million in just a few days, almost like magic.

Safe to say I don’t trust these big pharmaceutical plcs at all.
The Pfizer increase in Q2 is happening because of the decrease this month. They couldn’t meet January’s commitments because they were upgrading their manufacturing sites to ramp up production over the next few months.

Abizzz

The Pfizer increase in Q2 is happening because of the decrease this month. They couldn’t meet January’s commitments because they were upgrading their manufacturing sites to ramp up production over the next few months.
That's only a part of the increase. The other part is an increase in the cooperating companies and a Pfizer production facility in Marburg (Germany) being finished before it was due. (according to this: German news )

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Absolutely no chance.

Clear to me the EU didn’t buy the production problem excuse for such an enormous drop in delivery promises, they likley suspect AZ are using the “best efforts” clause to shift vaccine to a higher priority bidder. Why else act like they have this week with wanting to put pre-authorisation on all exports?

Won’t surprise me at all if another 20 million doses get found soon enough due to these measures.

The EU has had a tough week, but 4.5m vulnerable people will be getting vaccines sooner due to that sabre rattling, so...
I wouldn't bet too heavily on much of the timeline actually changing. Maybe a week or so can be squeezed.

Looking at the UK's AZ status in early January. The schedule hoped for 30m bulk in the UK by end September 2020, they'd only made 19m bulk by early January. By which point they had 3.5m in vials, mostly awaiting QA regulatory approval, but only 0.5m available to use. There are lots of ways to count things.

Incidentally it's thought the India facility is running ok. So it's possible that some of its production could be diverted, but that would seem to go against the spirit of the Oxford/AZ project as well as breaking someone else's contracts.

Let's hope that the J&J and Novavax plants can stay on schedule - there's a lot of capacity due to come on stream in Q2 or more likely Q3. Novavax confirm that their EU contract isn't yet signed - and that they are looking carefully at the wording - they expect to have low volumes available in the UK in April, much more in Q3.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Germany may use Russian and Chinese vaccines, politicians suggest
Germany may consider using Russian and Chinese vaccines in an effort to boost levels of vaccination in the country, regional leaders have suggested.

In a sign of how much pressure the country’s political leaders are under amid a stalling vaccine rollout, Bavaria’s state premier Markus Söder said Germany should look at approving Sputnik V and Chinese jabs.

German health minister Jens Spahn also signalled he was open to using Russian and Chinese vaccines if they are approved by EU regulators. In an interview with Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeiting, he said those vaccines could help with ending the pandemic.

And on Monday morning, as heads of Germany’s 16 states prepared for a national vaccine summit, Brandenburg’s state premier Dietmar Woidke agreed leaders could look at vaccines from other countries.

He told German state broadcaster ARD that those vaccines would have to pass regulatory assessments first ‘and maybe that can be done as quickly as it was for BioNTech and other vaccines’. “I think it is necessary and possible to assess these vaccines if they are available. And if they are safe and work then they should be used.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08b970c730373e#block-6017ca448f08b970c730373e

Virgil

So AZ just found 9 million extra doses for the EU behind the back of their sofa.

Hmmmm...
Just seen that. I wonder if they’d have found those doses without the EU doing all the sabre-rattling they got so much stick for? I suspect not.
Give it a rest. Part of the Oxford/AZ deal was for the vaccine to be rolled out at cost on a not for profit basis not only for the duration of the pandemic but in perpetuity to third world and poorer countries. Heck they have even licenced the Indian SSI to produce 1 billion doses although sadly it seems that India has ear marked all initial production for its own population.

Without doubt AZ will make a profit from the richer countries but then so will every vaccine developer. Just seems daft to me to be continually having a pop at AZ they are the only developer making a decent commitment to the rest of the world.

Maticmaker

Every Country looks after its own first and manufacturers look to for ways to make more profit!... Gee the worlds gone mad!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Teachers working where schools are open really should be a priority group for the AZ vaccine. We have a family of 4 up the road who are all positive now, because the daughter (who's a teacher) caught it from an asymptomatic kid.

Press on with Pfizer for the oldies and AZ for the younger working population, especially those who are in client-facing roles. Shop workers have to be at fairly high risk.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Give it a rest. Part of the Oxford/AZ deal was for the vaccine to be rolled out at cost on a not for profit basis not only for the duration of the pandemic but in perpetuity to third world and poorer countries. Heck they have even licenced the Indian SSI to produce 1 billion doses although sadly it seems that India has ear marked all initial production for its own population.

Without doubt AZ will make a profit from the richer countries but then so will every vaccine developer. Just seems daft to me to be continually having a pop at AZ they are the only developer making a decent commitment to the rest of the world.
They definitely deserve kudos for the not for profit thing. And I’ve always said that I’m inclined to believe everything they say about supply issues. I also think the EU commission was right to kick up a fuss and fight for as much supply as possible, if there was even a tiny possibility that AZ was not fulfilling contractual commitments. The fact they’ve managed to find these extra doses endorses the EU’s aggressive reaction (although I still think invoking article 16 was a thoroughly shitty thing to do)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Germany may use Russian and Chinese vaccines, politicians suggest

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08b970c730373e#block-6017ca448f08b970c730373e
Bit of a non-story. Every vaccine that gets approved by the EMA should be included in any vaccine roll-out. I’ve no idea if the Chinese/Russian vaccine manufacturers are likely to submit an MAA any time soon. I suspect not. I also suspect they won’t be needed, with so many different vaccines coming online in H2 this year.

Green_Red

You have to realise for Europhiles it's never their fault.

You have to realise for Europhiles it's never their fault.
I’m a British and Swedish citizen mate, I’m saying I doubt a British/ Swedish company (plc) is able to suddenly “find” an extra 9 million doses. They have provided them due to the pressure the EU put on them, which begs the question, how can they suddenly get 9 million more?

AZ and the non-profit thing, come on man, they are due to make an incredible amount of money in the coming years due to Covid and the Oxford vaccine.

Green_Red

Being blamed for the shape of bananas and the unhappiness of fish thickens the skin.
I've seen bananas growing in the wild. Twas a site to behold. But nothing compares to seeing them being put through a banana straightener.

Green_Red

I’m a British and Swedish citizen mate, I’m saying I doubt a British/ Swedish company (plc) is able to suddenly “find” an extra 9 million doses. They have provided them due to the pressure the EU put on them, which begs the question, how can they suddenly get 9 million more?

AZ and the non-profit thing, come on man, they are due to make an incredible amount of money in the coming years due to Covid and the Oxford vaccine.
They haven't provided anything yet. They have committed to delivering them.

Green_Red

Something they said was impossible a week ago.
I never seen them say it was impossible. Can you point us to the quote? Or even a newspaper article where an AZ representative is attributed with saying it was impossible to deliver vaccines to the EU.

I never seen them say it was impossible. Can you point us to the quote? Or even a newspaper article where an AZ representative is attributed with saying it was impossible to deliver vaccines to the EU.
Can you point to the quote where I was claiming it was never the EU’s fault?

AZ told the EU what it could deliver, if it was never impossible according to them, why not the higher figure to start with? Why all of sudden could they sort 9 million more, hardly a bloody small figure.

I’m a British Swede calling out a British Swedish company, but I don’t trust massive plcs, I think the bottom line always comes first.

fecking odd to turn big plc bashing into EU propaganda from me, very fecking odd.

Green_Red

AZ told the EU what it could deliver, if it was never impossible according to them, why not the higher figure to start with? Why all of sudden could they sort 9 million more, hardly a bloody small figure.

I’m a British Swede calling out a British Swedish company, but I don’t trust massive plcs, I think the bottom line always comes first.

fecking odd to turn big plc bashing into EU propaganda from me, very fecking odd.
The comment I replied to had more than one quoted comment in it, didn't it? And I wasn't replying to you in the first place so take your assumptions elsewhere and stopping making up lies about AZ telling the EU that it was impossible to deliver vaccines, when what actually happened was they explained the delays in their supply chain due to new production line setup in their Belgian and Dutch plants.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

It's not even an EU exclusive issue. According to the Head of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health they would receive less than 18% of the doses expected from AZ in February. I kind of hope that AZ found vaccines for them too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The comment I replied to had more than one quoted comment in it, didn't it? And I wasn't replying to you in the first place so take your assumptions elsewhere and stopping making up lies about AZ telling the EU that it was impossible to deliver vaccines, when what actually happened was they explained the delays in their supply chain due to new production line setup in their Belgian and Dutch plants.
Well I was the only other person quoted. Where did I say none of what happened was the EU’s fault? It seems to bother you when people “make up lies” so why make up lies of your own?

Green_Red

Well I was the only other person quoted. Where did I say none of what happened was the EU’s fault? It seems to bother you when people “make up lies” so why make up lies of your own?
EU sabre-rattling? Wouldn't it have been one accurate to say the EU contract negotiations are the root cause of the cock up rather than trying to make out that it was the EU flexing their muscles that brought about finding the additional vaccines. A company trying to help out their customers is a standard day to day activity in business. Its not because the EU are some mighty institution to be feared that AZ freed up some of their supply.

It could be just because you've used words that are associated with the outbreak of WW1. Was that intentional?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
EU sabre-rattling? Wouldn't it have been one accurate to say the EU contract negotiations are the root cause of the cock up rather than trying to make out that it was the EU flexing their muscles that brought about finding the additional vaccines. A company trying to help out their customers is a standard day to day activity in business. Its not because the EU are some mighty institution to be feared that AZ freed up some of their supply.

It could be just because you've used words that are associated with the outbreak of WW1. Was that intentional?
:lol: FFS. You’re a sensitive flower.

Sabre-rattling, blustering, throwing their toys out the pram. Whatever. They put a lot of pressure on AZ last week and additional supplies are suddenly available this week. Looks like these two things might be related, right?

Goes without saying that this is a separate issue to whether a different approach to contract negotiations might have avoided this problem. I think they probably did drop a bollock by not agreeing a more watertight deal last summer. Although it is obviously more complicated negotiating on behalf of 27 different states, than it is on behalf of one.

Last edited:

Balljy

If I was going to guess, these supplies have probably been taken from stock designated for COVAX or similar. In which case they won't have "found" stock, but diverted it from places that are less likely to cause headlines at the moment for inadequate supplies. That's going to be the problem in the first few months as rich countries / blocs will make sure that their supplies are taken care of and someone else will inevitably be shorted due to that.

The 9 million vaccines has come from somewhere and they would have had no need to hold them back.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If I was going to guess, these supplies have probably been taken from stock designated for COVAX or similar. In which case they won't have "found" stock, but diverted it from places that are less likely to cause headlines at the moment for inadequate supplies. That's going to be the problem in the first few months as rich countries / blocs will make sure that their supplies are taken care of and someone else will inevitably be shorted due to that.

The 9 million vaccines has come from somewhere and they would have had no need to hold them back.
I think it's just a re-estimation of the yield out of the EU sites. Even in the UK sites which are running at speed, the yield varies from batch to batch - last week the yield was slightly lower and the vaccine count dropped a bit. This week its higher again. It's not an exact science - there a pretty chunky margin of error.

Balljy

I think it's just a re-estimation of the yield out of the EU sites. Even in the UK sites which are running at speed, the yield varies from batch to batch - last week the yield was slightly lower and the vaccine count dropped a bit. This week its higher again. It's not an exact science - there a pretty chunky margin of error.
It could be, let's hope that's the case. I doubt if we will ever know unless full estimated versus actual figures are released weekly by country.

Green_Red

:lol: FFS. You’re a sensitive flower.

Sabre-rattling, blustering, throwing their toys out the pram. Whatever. They put a lot of pressure on AZ last week and additional supplies are suddenly available this week. Looks like these two things might be related, right?

Goes without saying that this is a separate issue to whether a different approach to contract negotiations might have avoided this problem. I think they probably did drop a bollock by not agreeing a more watertight deal last summer. Although it is obviously more complicated negotiating on behalf of 27 different states, than it is on behalf of one.
I'm a sensitive flower? You've stalked the comments here and picked out that you had been quoted in someone's comment that I've replied to when I told the other person who also cracked the shits. Then you've said:
Well I was the only other person quoted. Where did I say none of what happened was the EU’s fault?
But I'm the sensitive flower? I think you're a bit confused there lad.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm a sensitive flower? You've stalked the comments here and picked out that you had been quoted in someone's comment that I've replied to when I told the other person who also cracked the shits. Then you've said:

But I'm the sensitive flower? I think you're a bit confused there lad.
Yes. You’re the sensitive flower. Reading the phrase “sabre-rattling” and immediately thinking of the outbreak of WW1. I’ll try to use less triggering language in future.

Using the word “stalked” because someone responds to a comment that was obviously aimed at them is kind of precious too but whatever.

Green_Red

Yes. You’re the sensitive flower. Reading the phrase “sabre-rattling” and immediately thinking of the outbreak of WW1. I’ll try to use less triggering language in future.

Using the word “stalked” because someone responds to a comment that was obviously aimed at them is kind of precious too but whatever.
:lol: