Euro 2020 general discussion

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
4 days on and I still can’t get my head around the (lack of) offside decision for Lukaku’s first goal on Saturday. Really left me with one of my ‘the game’s gone’ moments. If a team can’t get a flag in such a scenario then they should just go home. He was 2 yards offside, and the defender scuffs a clearance to a pass intended for him, which makes him now onside? Such bollocks. Are defenders supposed to just leave the ball because they suspect the striker may be a half a yard offside?

The offside rule needs to be revised as defenders are punished for trying to clear or intercept passes to offside players. A defender can head a pass intended to a man a yard offside out for a corner, and then concede from the corner. Which leaves them having to play linesman themselves and just leave the ball if they think the striker is off.
It's insane. I'm convinced it's just a bad decision and not what the rules say, but if the rules truly say that's onside because the defender player it, then the rules need changing. The defender didn't take a touch and pass it to Lukaku, he misfit trying to intercept an awkward ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Power Ranking table after round 1 anyone?

1 - France: the reigning world champions and the best team here started with making Germany look ordinary.

2 - Portugal: the reigning euro champions played in a hostile environment with composure and resilience,

3 - Belgium: Lukaku’s brilliant form on top of widespread talent made very notable absentees irrelevant

4 - Italy: kept sustaining their hot run with Mancini’s trademark fluid football without conceding

5 - England: substance on top of PL-level bursts of brilliance against WC finalists Croatia, a promising start.

6 - Netherlands: started with a ballsy rollercoaster, squandered a double lead and finished with a late winner bang.

7 - Spain: a goalless draw against the usually well-organised Sweden, but they seem to have more in their ranks.

8 - Germany: a steady second half against hot favourites France did not save a draw and uncharacteristic lapses.
Ranking based on squad ability, their performances IMO, and chances to go all the way:
  1. France - stacked squad, garbage style of play but it's effective in tournaments, especially with that defence and Kante in midfield, then Pogba, Benzema and Mbappe carrying the counter.
  2. Portugal - brilliant squad, took some time to get the goals but they still got 3-0 win after missing plenty in the 1st half. They tend to do well in big games I feel like too. Ronaldo.
  3. Italy - completely dominant game, the best coach, arguably the best midfield in the tournament once Verratti is fit. An actual goalscorer up top.
  4. Germany - honestly I was pleasantly surprised and thought they were quite good. France is the toughest team to play against but they had their chances. A brilliant squad, have the opportunity to use Bayerns entire midfield and attack minus Lewa... Can't put them lower, though risk is there that they drop out all together. Lack a goalscorer.
  5. Spain - can definitely move their way up, but they won't if Morata stays as the striker. I suspect Moreno will go in and they'll look very good and be a very tough team to play, but as of now, lack a goalscorer.
  6. England - good opening day win. But performance left a lot to be desired for me. Southgate seems like he'll make some very questionable lineup decisions (no Grealish, no Shaw), Kane seemed off it, most of the players seem to be struggling for injury or are knackered, especially in key positions.
  7. Belgium - a lot depends on how De Bruyne is and when he comes back. A lot of their lineup just doesn't convince me tbh, but could easily make a good push and Lukaku is on fire. But if KdB is normal, then I'd push them up to 4th above Germany.
  8. Netherlands - fun game to watch, and have some good players but a cut below the rest of the big sides. De Jong is brilliant though.
Honestly, it's very nice and refreshing to see all 8 of the big sides with very good squads and actually put in solid showings. I don't think any will flop really, and we're in for a very high quality knockout stage IMO. My guess is England will lose in the Ro16 to Portugal or France and Netherlands will go out to possibly Germany (based on my current bracket) with the rest making the quarter finals, but a lot is draw dependent.

justsomebloke

1. France
Showed scary strength in beating Germany in Munich without looking like they were trying very hard. Mbappe-Benzena-Pogba chemistry seems promising.

2. Belgium
Second best squad, crushed Russia convincingly with several key players missing

3. Portugal
Great squad. Not entirely impressive against Hungary, but it's a start.

4. England
Very solid, will be hard to beat. Won't know ceiling until they're in the knockout stage.

5. Germany
Ceiling uncertain. Looked much the weaker side against France IMO.

6. Italy
good squad, good first game.

7. Spain.
Lots of question marks. Style is very demanding both on individual quality and in needing a very cohesive well drilled collective. They look a bit short on both to me, relative to their own high standards. Arguably closer to losing than to winning their first game.

8.Netherlands
1st game underlined and reinforced well known question marks - too wasteful in attack, too little quality in defence.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's insane. I'm convinced it's just a bad decision and not what the rules say, but if the rules truly say that's onside because the defender player it, then the rules need changing. The defender didn't take a touch and pass it to Lukaku, he misfit trying to intercept an awkward ball.
Being a little cynical, I felt as if the emotion of the goal that was just dedicated to Eriksen who was in hospital made it a little harder to disallow. But it was a ridiculous decision, and if those are the rules, defenders are fecked.

Robertd0803

Seems to be an awful lot of players ballooning the ball over the bar when you would expect them to score. Wondering is the ball a factor.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seems to be an awful lot of players ballooning the ball over the bar when you would expect them to score. Wondering is the ball a factor.
In 100% of those scenarios, if there was no ball, they would not have ballooned it over. So yes, I’m going to say the ball is a factor.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Finishing in general has been garbage. Players turn to shit as soon as they get in the box.

Irwin99

Unless I've misunderstood is there an argument for England trying to finish second in Group D if by winning it they have to face either Germany, Portugal or France? A Group D second place takes on Group E second place (likely Sweden or Slovakia) .

The White Pele

Unless I've misunderstood is there an argument for England trying to finish second in Group D if by winning it they have to face either Germany, Portugal or France? A Group D second place takes on Group E second place (likely Sweden or Slovakia) .
Yes but I can’t see England not topping the group now that we’ve beaten Croatia. Also, topping the group means we play at Wembley in the 2nd round which will be an incentive.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The multi nation format is really annoying me to be honest. Takes away the "togetherness" feeling of a tournament where you have fans from multiple countries in the same cities in 1 host nation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The multi nation format is really annoying me to be honest. Takes away the "togetherness" feeling of a tournament where you have fans from multiple countries in the same cities in 1 host nation.
Kicking ten bells of shit out of each other while the Irish find little old ladies who need light bulbs changing and their lawns mowing.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Kicking ten bells of shit out of each other while the Irish find little old ladies who need light bulbs changing and their lawns mowing.
Remember Stan Collymore running around France filming the English wanker hooligans and getting tear-gassed by the french police in the process? Absolutely glorious times

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

UEFA to honor best own goal scorer :lol:

(Disclaimer: Der Postillon is satire. German 'Onion', basically)

steffyr2

NTs like England, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Hungary have unfair homefield advantage over the rest of teams
Was this a random selection? Standing in the qualifiers?
It seems very one sided to give some teams home advantage thru the group stages and others having travel all over the place.
Wales goes to Baku and Rome
Belgium & Finland to St Petersburg and Copenhagen
etc etc

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Munich and Bavaria pushing for lighting up the Allianz Arena in rainbow colours for the match vs. Hungary.

Especially after the outrage over Neuer's rainbow coloured captains armband, I'd love it.

TheGame

I keep going on about it but this group stage qualification method is a joke. Teams finishing second playing teams finishing third in other groups. For me it has just led to more negative football with teams knowing they have to do the bare minimum to get through.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's with all the permutation analysis? Just wait till other results are in and it'll be clear.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I keep going on about it but this group stage qualification method is a joke. Teams finishing second playing teams finishing third in other groups. For me it has just led to more negative football with teams knowing they have to do the bare minimum to get through.
They should make a 32-team-tournament.

UEFA should be happy with that too because "More matches = More money".

The drop of quality wouldn't be much.

Group A
France
Russia
Serbia
Northern Ireland

Group B
Germany
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovenia

Group C
Belgium
Austria
Turkey
Norway

Group D
Netherlands
Croatia
Iceland
Greece

Group E
England
Sweden
Ireland
Hungary

Group F
Italy
Switzerland
Finland
Romania

Group G
Portugal
Denmark
Slovakia
Scotland

Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Wales
North Macedonia

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
They should make a 32-team-tournament.

UEFA should be happy with that too because "More matches = More money".

The drop of quality wouldn't be much.

Group A
France
Russia
Serbia
Northern Ireland

Group B
Germany
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovenia

Group C
Belgium
Austria
Turkey
Norway

Group D
Netherlands
Croatia
Iceland
Greece

Group E
England
Sweden
Ireland
Hungary

Group F
Italy
Switzerland
Finland
Romania

Group G
Portugal
Denmark
Slovakia
Scotland

Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Wales
North Macedonia

Sorry but that mean about all countries are playing 2 years of qualifiers only so that about 30% drops off for the actual end tournament..
Thats just as ridicusoulas playing 36 games this euro's only to eliminatie 8/24...

The Euro's should have 16 countries. Thats plenty enough of a large playing field given how many countries Europe has..

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Sorry but that mean about all countries are playing 2 years of qualifiers only so that about 30% drops off for the actual end tournament..
Thats just as ridicusoulas playing 36 games this euro's only to eliminatie 8/24...

The Euro's should have 16 countries. Thats plenty enough of a large playing field given how many countries Europe has..
Agreed, some of these group games already felt like another qualification round to be honest.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Of course the qualification must be short for every country.....3-4 matches for the top teams.

I mean the UEFA have now the Nations League and soon 4 more matches in the european competitions....therefore the UEFA must cancel some matches in their competitions too.

The UEFA will not go back to 16 teams.
But 24 teams is stupid.

32 teams is of course too much but much better than 24 teams with 6 groups.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Of course the qualification must be short for every country.....3-4 matches for the top teams.

I mean the UEFA have now the Nations League and soon 4 more matches in the european competitions....therefore the UEFA must cancel some matches in their competitions too.

The UEFA will not go back to 16 teams.
But 24 teams is stupid.

32 teams is of course too much but much better than 24 teams with 6 groups.
Think you are right in the UEFA not going back, and I think I agree Id prefer 32 of 24 to have a normal tournament schedule which makes sense... Just pisses me off they went to 24 in the first place..

Josh 76

Can't remember a tournament with so many great goals and we are not even half way.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
now the group games are coming to an end, likely qfs a bit clearer. Best guess ignoring 3rd placed which may impact (group F guesses bold);

• Italy v Belgium
  • Croatia/Poland/Sweden v to France/Portugal/Germany (winner of Group F)... hardest one to call yet
  • Wales ( :) ) v Holland
  • Spain v England/France/Portugal/Germany

Holland and the winner of Group F seem to have the easier R16 and R8 routes

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t like this format of 3 teams going through. Just encourages negative football & playing for 0-0 in the group stages. Either go back to 16 or make it 32. 24 is just confusing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't remember a tournament with so many great goals and we are not even half way.
The 2006 World Cup had about 4 worldies in the opening game alone. The 2014 World Cup had some unbelievable goals too. I remember Cahill scoring an absolute thundercnut against Holland, Rodriguez bagged a few worldies that tournament. Van Persies header against Spain too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Still somewhat early days but do people have their team of the tournament so far ?

--------------------------Pickford--------------
Dumfries----De Ligt--Bonucci-----Shaw
--------------De Jong---Locatelli-------------
-------------------------Wijnaldum------------------
Berradi---------Immobele-------Griezmann

Special mentions: Lukaku, KDB, Mings, Spinazolla, Ronaldo, Gosens, Kante, Pogba, Danielson.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
If Sweden will beat Poland then this is the Last 16 Round!!!!!

Belgium vs 3rd Group F
Italy vs Austria

Winner Group F vs Switzerland
Croatia vs Spain

Sweden vs Ukraine
England vs 2nd Group F

Netherlands vs Czech Republic
Wales vs Denmark

bosskeano

Round of 16.....

Don't know about you guys but that left of the bracket is absolutely BRUTAL....Italy, Belgium, Portugal, France, Spain

Other side it's England, Germany.....maybe Holland

Looks like the winner of the England/Germany match could make the Euro Finals