Euro 2020 general discussion

AshRK

Feel bad for Hungary. Were really hard done due to their grouping. Any other group they might have been in top 3 and progressed to RO 16

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Feel bad for Hungary. Were really hard done due to their grouping. Any other group they might have been in top 3 and progressed to RO 16
Marco Rossi for Spurs through the Italian connection with Paratici. You heard it here first!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The format for this is pure muck. Covid-crowds (or lack thereof) aside, there’s barely any buzz associated with the tournament as a whole that you can only get from a single/double host nation(s), e.g. Euro 2000 was great, as was Japan 2002. Bringing a major tournament “on tour” is absolutely atrocious and the idea should never see the light of day again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Round of 16.....

Don't know about you guys but that left of the bracket is absolutely BRUTAL....Italy, Belgium, Portugal, France, Spain

Other side it's England, Germany.....maybe Holland

Looks like the winner of the England/Germany match could make the Euro Finals

If England beats Germany, will have a great chance to play in final, just have to beat Netherland in Semi.
Frane will get to semi for sure, then they will have to face either Italy, Portugal or Belgium. I think they will have high chance getting into final as well.

It could be France vs England or France vs Germany, and France to win it. I personally would like to see Portugal vs England final though.

Frank Sinatra Fan

How do you think the Euro KOs will go?

For me:

Round of 16: Belgium vs Portugal, Italy vs. Austria, France vs. Switzerland, Croatia vs. Spain, Sweden vs. Ukraine, England vs. Germany, Netherlands vs. Czech Republic, Wales vs. Denmark.

Quarter-finals: Belgium vs. Italy, France vs. Spain, Ukraine vs. Germany, Netherlands vs. Denmark.

Semifinals: Italy vs. France, Germany vs. Netherlands.

Final: Italy vs. Germany.

AshRK

For me:

Round of 16: Belgium vs Portugal, Italy vs. Austria, France vs. Switzerland, Croatia vs. Spain, Sweden vs. Ukraine, England vs. Germany, Netherlands vs. Czech Republic, Wales vs. Denmark.

Quarter-finals: Belgium vs. Italy, France vs. Spain, Ukraine vs. Germany, Netherlands vs. Denmark.

Have a weird feeling one of sweden or Denmark may reach the semis or even finals. None of england Dutch or Germany are that strong.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Would've thought some of the big nations on the other side of the bracket (England, Germany and Holland) would have a higher chance to win it all than say Spain to be honest.

QFs:
Belgium - Italy
France - Spain
Ukraine - Germany
The Netherlands
- Wales

Final: Belgium - The Netherlands :cool:

Would've thought some of the big nations on the other side of the bracket (England, Germany and Holland) would have a higher chance to win it all than say Spain to be honest.

QFs:
Belgium - Italy
France - Spain
Ukraine - Germany
The Netherlands
- Wales

Final: Belgium - The Netherlands :cool:
If this is based on the three games, then Spain’s chances will be skewed due to the result of the Slovakia match - who were an utter disgrace.

I don’t imagine I can get odds of 12-1 on England winning at a bookies.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If this is based on the three games, then Spain’s chances will be skewed due to the result of the Slovakia match - who were an utter disgrace.

I don’t imagine I can get odds of 12-1 on England winning at a bookies.
Don't think it is, otherwise France wouldn't be as high and Italy would be a lot higher I'd think, but no idea by which model it's calculated tbh.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

For me:

I agree with that apart from I think Sweden will beat Ukraine.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Quarter-finals: Portugal vs. Italy, France vs. Spain, Sweden vs. Germany, Netherlands vs. Denmark.

Final: France vs. Germany.

Basso

Looking forward to seeing the major upsets that always happen.
Iceland-England and Wales-Belgium in Euro 2016. Who will it be this time?

I clearly remember people already talking about the England-France Quarterfinal back then:)

CallyRed

Must say, seriously miss watching a game. Having to find something else to watch sucks.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't think it is, otherwise France wouldn't be as high and Italy would be a lot higher I'd think, but no idea by which model it's calculated tbh.
Then how are we 5th? We've been atrocious before this tournament, though stats wise quite good during.

Siezard

I posted this on June 12

Why England will win the Euro!

Firstly, they get to meet Croatia, their rival in the last world cup. England will be ready to exact revenge and will be going all out. Scotland and Czech are easy confidence booster. Let's not forget England are the hosts for their own 3 matches.

England will top the group and then face one of France/Portugal/Germany. Nobody will fancy England and once again, England will be on full frontal attack instead of passing sideways. The result: Another England victory.

Next, England will most likely face the winner of Group E (Weak team in Spain, Sweden, Poland, Slovakia) and triumph easily.

Then, don't forget, England is hosting all the semi-finals and finals so they will win!

Frank Sinatra Fan

Looking forward to seeing the major upsets that always happen.
Iceland-England and Wales-Belgium in Euro 2016. Who will it be this time?

I clearly remember people already talking about the England-France Quarterfinal back then:)
Sweden (if they get through Ukraine) and Denmark (if they get through Wales) are, in my opinion, the strongest candidates to surprise in the tournament.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I really wish football would standardise one key thing: the ball!

Watching the games so far, there have been plenty of goals, but very few (can't think of any actually) direct free kicks.

Furthermore, so many players who shoot from distance (apart from that Scotland one) seem to send it flying way over - reminds me of That World Cup in South Africa 2010, did they not try a new ball there that seemed to be difficult to keep low?

In most ball sports e.g. golf, there are very strict standards on the ball size and construction method and of course the material used, whereas in football each new season/each new tournement brings a new ball with new construction techniques "guaranteed to fly true" etc. does this not cause confusion for the players who practice with one ball type, then in the matches use one with slightly different characteristics?

Reiver

Been enjoying the tournament so far. One thing that is really starting to annoy me though is the tendency for players to go down if another player makes any kind of contact with their head. Doesn't matter if it's a fist to the face or a brush of the fingertips. Obviously officials need to be cautious about potential concussions but something needs to be done because it's getting ridiculous.
I know this isn't necessarily a new issue but I think this tournament highlights that it's an issue that is getting out of hand.

Lee565

I don't know how they do it but the Czech seem to always do well in the euro's going back to 96, they must have a better record than england in euro competitions since 96 when they were finalists

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I love how heated the debates get and how staunchly defensive some get with international football, there’s nothing else like it and I don’t think club football comes close to the excitement and drama a national knockout tournament brings. And all this after most people supposedly hate international football most of the time.

I’ve really enjoyed this tournament so far, been some epic matches, shocking results, last minute dramas, loads of goals. Hope this continues further into the knockouts.

Been enjoying the tournament so far. One thing that is really starting to annoy me though is the tendency for players to go down if another player makes any kind of contact with their head. Doesn't matter if it's a fist to the face or a brush of the fingertips. Obviously officials need to be cautious about potential concussions but something needs to be done because it's getting ridiculous.
I know this isn't necessarily a new issue but I think this tournament highlights that it's an issue that is getting out of hand.
it’s going to be really difficult to fix.

There’s been a good trend where teams DON’T kick the ball out if a player is injured. But obviously if a player has a head injury, then the ref needs to stop play…

I don’t know whether would work, but I’d like to consider whether physios can come on, and we just play around the player on the ground. 9/10 the player is exaggerating to gain his team an advantage - but obviously we need to be careful not to ignore a serious injury.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been a really good tournament. Monday night was one of the best days of football I think I’ve ever seen, and then the emotions of beating the Germans yesterday, can’t beat that. Cant wait for Friday. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one more upset. I think England are safe against Ukraine, but Spain & Denmark have to be careful against the Swiss & the Czechs.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I don't know how they do it but the Czech seem to always do well in the euro's going back to 96, they must have a better record than england in euro competitions since 96 when they were finalists
It's not just since 96. They made a semi-final/final once a decade since the first tournament back in 1960 if you include Czechoslovakia. It's a run that was only broken on their side last decade, but here they are doing quiet well again despite a not particularly rated side before the tournament.

tomaldinho1

Belgium-Italy the big one, the winner will probably be in the final IMO.
Belgium and Spain are better for me, I think Italy lose to Belgium and then Spain/Belgium will be really tight.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't notice this reaction from Sterling during the game.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Czech Republic indeed has a better record in Euros than England, especially counting its Czechoslovakia times who was a powerhouse.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Is it just me or is it worrisome that some 67k fans will be in Wembley for the semis and the final next week? The UK has almost as much daily covid-19 cases as all of the EU combined, and the overwhelming majority of those cases are related to the delta one. For a country vaccinated with a lot of AZ which I thought worked less against the delta, it's a huge risk to put that many fans into one stadium imo.

Happy to stand corrected of course, but it almost looked like corona was gone if you looked at the stadium during England-Germany, but if you then check the UK's numbers, it seems a bit contradictory (and wrong).

IncyWincySpider

Is it just me or is it worrisome that some 67k fans will be in Wembley for the semis and the final next week? The UK has almost as much daily covid-19 cases as all of the EU combined, and the overwhelming majority of those cases are related to the delta one. For a country vaccinated with a lot of AZ which I thought worked less against the delta, it's a huge risk to put that many fans into one stadium imo.

Happy to stand corrected of course, but it almost looked like corona was gone if you looked at the stadium during England-Germany, but if you then check the UK's numbers, it seems a bit contradictory (and wrong).
It's just another part of this sorry saga that will be highlighted in the eventual public inquiry several years from now. Obviously filling stadiums is helping spread the new variant, but if England make the semis and final it would be political suicide to stop the fans getting into Wembley to watch.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The format for this is pure muck. Covid-crowds (or lack thereof) aside, there’s barely any buzz associated with the tournament as a whole that you can only get from a single/double host nation(s), e.g. Euro 2000 was great, as was Japan 2002. Bringing a major tournament “on tour” is absolutely atrocious and the idea should never see the light of day again.
Isn't euro 2000 generally regarded as terrible?

stw2022

The thing is post vaccine roll out case numbers really should start mattering less. Nobody credible thinks zero COVID is achievable so it’s a case of accepting cases will rise but hope vaccines mitigate against deaths and hospital referrals, which they appear to be doing.

COVID is here to stay, therefore we either accept rising case numbers or we stay locked down indefinitely

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The thing is post vaccine roll out case numbers really should start mattering less. Nobody credible thinks zero COVID is achievable so it’s a case of accepting cases will rise but hope vaccines mitigate against deaths and hospital referrals, which they appear to be doing.

COVID is here to stay, therefore we either accept rising case numbers or we stay locked down indefinitely
Agree with the bolded part yeah, but it's still a quite high (and unnecessary) risk to me. Germany and Italy have much, much better numbers than the UK yet Rome/Munich allow only a fraction of the fans Wembley will host in the semis and final. There's a lot of middle-ground solutions between re-opening society again and living with the risk of rising case numbers, and putting 70 odd thousand fans in a stadium without social distancing :D

Marwood

Although death rates and hospitalizations are the key figures I agree it's the usual jumbled thinking to hold the semi and final in the country with the most cases.

It would be impossible for any key decision maker to justify that.

i agree.

Restrictions aren’t having the impact they were in any case anymore.

whilst it’s a bit of a fudge, calling them test events - they are actually really important in determining what happens in the PL next season. Without them, we may have to have more test events at the start of the season, as we don’t have the data. With these games, it should in theory give us some answers as to what we can do next season.

everywhere I go now (that’s doesn’t mean I’m marauding up and done the country…) a large % of people, maybe 50% don’t give 2 hoots about restrictions.

it’s about time we moved on.