Europa League 2019/20

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
His last 2 seasons with Everton he scored 25 and 26. His first season with United he scored 27.

In fact, United's second season is his worst one in his career. He scored in it less than what he scored in his WBA loan.
So was it more about the rest of the team or him?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, but EL is not that shit. We will see next season if he can do better in CL.
What was his return in the EPL against big teams? For Utd I think I only saw him score against Chelsea and then he was absolute cack in the FA Cup final.

Serie A is a good league for him

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't look past Inter winning it.

Will surely crush Seville on the counter just like they did to Shaktar in this game.

Charlie Foley

He's had a good season. I think it's clear confidence is a big thing for him. Not exactly thick-skinned. Serie A is the right league for him playing wise.

el3mel

He was definitely terrible for the majority of his last season, no excuses. I criticized him a lot in it.

But looking at his career overall, in terms of stats, this season was a one off. He's not a great footballer but he's been a great goalscorer in all his career.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We still arguing about Lukaku on here? He could score 60 goals for Milan and it doesn’t matter we all watched him every week here and know he’s not good enough. There’s a different pressure and spotlight at United that lump couldn’t handle. Best decision we made giving him the boot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
shades of bayern-barcelona after the 2-0

Inter could have even scored more than 5 all things considered

Shakhtar Donetsk never were at this level, got there through a an easy draw

Getafe the best side inter have played so far

Walters_19_MuFc

He’s big but looks more muscular
Hmmm. People called him fat, but he was always very muscular. That was even evident when he used to take his shirt off after games. I think the fact that he looked a bit clumsy at times led to people discussing his weight, but he's never been anything but muscular.

Inigo Montoya

Both. He didn't have the temperment for a club like utd where the expectation is high, plus we set up to get the best out of him but he was easily marked out against good teams with better and faster defenders. When Ole went with a fast mobile front 3 his days were numbered

Inigo Montoya

Hmmm. People called him fat, but he was always very muscular. That was even evident when he used to take his shirt off after games. I think the fact that he looked a bit clumsy at times led to people discussing his weight, but he's never been anything but muscular.
Over muscular though. Great to bully defenders but you will run out of stamina. The great PL scorers are strong and quick but not heavy,

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the difference is that at Everton and now at Inter his muscle mass is much leaner and defined. It's not heavy muscle but a suitable size for his frame and the power his legs in particular are capable of producing. In the second season at United he seemed to bulk up a bit more in his upper body frame in an attempt to improve his strength more when he really didn't need to.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
people talking as if inter isn't a ridiculously high-pressure environment :houllier:

It's worse than United actually. Inter fans don't have nearly the patience OT fans have

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Is it fair to say that winning the EL means far more to Inter and Sevilla then it does to us?
I think it is fair to say so.

In some countries Europa league is pretty meaningless. I also rarely watch it. Tbh I can't even name the past 3 winners while I know easily the past 35 CL/EC winner by hard.

In Germany it's even considered a loser's cup, with Beckenbauer famously stating so.

Inter on the other hand are gasping for some succes, which they might find here.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think the difference is that at Everton and now at Inter his muscle mass is much leaner and defined. It's not heavy muscle but a suitable size for his frame and the power his legs in particular are capable of producing. In the second season at United he seemed to bulk up a bit more in his upper body frame in an attempt to improve his strength more when he really didn't need to.
I see what you mean. Fair enough. The speed he showed for his goal was ridiculous.

Inigo Montoya

That bulking up wasn't a Utd training programme. It's up to the players if they go and do extra weights.

What it does suggest is our strength and conditioning coaches are woeful if they let him get that big, You couldn't imagine Bundesliga coaches letting that happen

el3mel

people talking as if inter isn't a ridiculously high-pressure environment :houllier:

It's worse than United actually. Inter fans don't have nearly the patience OT fans have
Yeah I don't agree with those pressure ideas. He actually played well for the majority and scored many goals in his first season with us. It's his second one which was crap.

I think it's a combination of restoring his confidence back plus having a manager whose style suits him and knows how to get the best out of him. That's about it.

Inigo Montoya

Disagree. He was MOTM for Sevilla with a number of outstanding saves.
One or two but we did hit the ball at him or blazed wide when set up. The Martial one where we set him up at the edge of the area and 9/10 he curls it into the corner but hit it wide springs to mind

Paul_Scholes18

:lol:
We had the likes of fecking Basel and Copenhagen in the quarter finals.
Your love fo Kaku knows no bounds
Copenhagen hold us to 0-0 for 90 minutes though. They are not as shit as people made them out to be.
These sides would match lower half of the PL table easily.
Arsenal also got knocked out by Olympiakos etc.
Cluj almost knocked out Sevilla too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That bulking up wasn't a Utd training programme. It's up to the players if they go and do extra weights.

What it does suggest is our strength and conditioning coaches are woeful if they let him get that big, You couldn't imagine Bundesliga coaches letting that happen
IIRC Lukaku himself came out and said he bulked for the WC in 2018 (whether by himself or with Belgian advice) and he was trying to shed it mid-season with United. But that 6 months or so when he was bulky ruined the start of that 2nd season and it was difficult for him to come back from after that. A fresh start was the best thing for him and it's good on your part that you managed to recoup the fee.