Europa League Draw | Utd draw St. Etienne

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
List of potential teams United could face in the round of 32 (basically 4 of the best third placed CL teams + the EL group toppers, since we're second in the group):

Third placed CL clubs:
Besiktas
FC Copenhagen
Lyon
(won't face Tottenham since both are from PL)

EL Group Toppers:
(won't face Fenerbahce since same group)
APOEL FC
AS St. Etienne
Zenit
Roma
Genk
Ajax
Shaktar Donetsk
Schalke
Fiorentina
Sparta Praha
Osmanlispor

Last edited:

NYAS

Replace Gladbach with Copenhagen. The latter is a better 3rd-placed team than the former.

Raw

It's Copenhagen, not Monchengladbach.

Some of those are tricky. Would like to avoid those teams that are ridiculously far away if possible.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I would prefer to avoid Zenit, Roma, Shaktar Donetsk and Schalke 04.

But, perhaps more than the quality of the adversary, avoiding a long away trip on the second leg should be the main preoccupation, cause we play Manchester City away after.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
List of potential teams United could face in the round of 32 (basically 4 of the best third placed CL teams + the EL group toppers, since we're second in the group):

Third placed CL clubs:
Besiktas
FC Copenhagen
Lyon
(won't face Tottenham since both are from PL)

EL Group Toppers:
(won't face Fenerbahce since same group)
APOEL FC
AS St. Etienne
Zenit
Roma
Athletic Bilbao/Genk
Ajax
Shaktar Donetsk
Schalke
Fiorentina
Sparta Praha
Osmanlispor
Main teams I wouldn't want are Zenit and Shakhtar. Tricky games even ignoring the distance we need to travel. Wouldn't be worried about going out to any other ones tbh, but obviously Lyon, Roma, Bilbao and Schalke can cause problems.
Osmanlispor, Sparta, Genk, Ajax, St Etienne, Apoel, Copenhagen, Beskitas should all be pretty comfortable over 2 legs.

Infra-red

Ajax, Saint-Etienne or Copenhagen would be the best draws for us; short travel distances and relatively mediocre opposition.

Hammerfell

We won't beat this Ajax team unless we improve significantly. Best Ajax team since the LVG team in the 90's
You can't seriously be saying that we'll have a 0% chance of progressing if we draw fecking Ajax.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some tough draws in there, especially with our dire European away form and inconsistency in general. Shakhtar could be fun and I'd go to the away leg of that.

dutchred

You can't seriously be saying that we'll have a 0% chance of progressing if we draw fecking Ajax.
What I am saying is we would have to play a lot better than we are currently in order to beat them.. I didn't say we have 0% chance. We can play a lot better than we are currently. If we play like we did against Burnley or Stoke they would beat us

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Roma, Ajax or Lyon would at least mean we could pretend we're in a champions league fixture :lol:

But one of the closer teams in geography really. St Etienne would be ideal

Or if we play Schalke, we can have a mutual cry and reminisce about the semi finals of the main cup in 2010/11!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We won't beat this Ajax team unless we improve significantly. Best Ajax team since the LVG team in the 90's
Probably shouldn't be forgotten we have a world great manager, a world record player, and Ibra, not to mention a stack of talent ourselves.

And again not to mention that they can't be that bloody good if they didn't even win their own league, which isn't exactly a powerhouse league anyway!

pacifictheme

Genuinely think we have a real chance at winning this.

Only Spurs are a threat. No one else worries me. No one.

Much weaker than last season.

dutchred

Probably shouldn't be forgotten we have a world great manager, a world record player, and Ibra, not to mention a stack of talent ourselves.

And again not to mention that they can't be that bloody good if they didn't even win their own league, which isn't exactly a powerhouse league anyway!
Ajax have a new manager this season. They started slowly. Have improved significantly since the start of the season. They are a very young team and have in Dohlberg and Sanchez 2 really good young footballers. With all the talk of defenders I would say Sanchez is the best young defender I have seen this season in Europe

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Got a feeling (compete guess but I'll quote myself if I am right) that it will be Roma.

cyberman

There's a lot of ordinary sides there. A couple of handy draws from that lot and we could find ourselves in the quarters with a real chance to win it.

Keegs

Over two legs We would beat every team in this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not sure if serious. They are only playing in Europa League because they got beaten by Rostov.

Bojan11

Nobody really we should be scared of from those teams.

Last year was worse with Dortmund, Liverpool, Sevilla and Napoli.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
If I were a United fan I'd want Copenhagen. Beatable, nice club, great city and a very short trip.