Europe Refugee Crisis

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Did you read any of the article i quoted?
I did. I especially liked the part, where they held anti-Hungarian government slogans against the train windows. One of them said: “It is better to die in Syria than in Hungary”. Nice people.

botond

In fairness, if they were actual refugees, as in people who fled from war or some sort of persecution for fear of their lives and lives of their families, they wouldn't be acting that way. It's just a bunch of ignorant ungrateful assholes acting as if they're VIP tourists being held from getting to their luxurious resort accommodations that they'd paid big bucks for. By the way, where are all the elderly, women and children? I have only noticed a few kids.

I wonder how long is going to take before that attitude becomes too much to handle for some European hosts. "feck off with your food and water, feck off Hungary, we're going to Germany."

I also found it interesting that refugees weren't particularly hungry or thirsty. I always imagine those fleeing war as desperate and starving, grateful for any help. It was nice to see that these particular poor souls were quite well fed and looked rather energetic.
75% are men , 12 % children , 13 % woman . around 50 % syrian . many trow away their papers at the serbian border to play the syrian card
im not against helping the people from war zones , though their 'brothers in arms' just trow some money at the problem (how much of that goes actually to the people ? ) and not accepting them
but letting everyone in in the Schengen without processing and filtering was a big mistake
how is it possible for a asylum seeker to not to respect the laws of a country and to do as he pleases ? Yeah i dont want to get processed fck yo ill migrate in masses on your freeway . Yeah this takes to long lest gather in mob and shout some gods name, that will show them to respect our will .
The EU is a joke that's how . And society is a joke . The moment you try to impose your laws on people different from your race , nationality or religion you are called names all over the place

GBBQ

I did. I especially liked the part, where they held anti-Hungarian government slogans against the train windows. One of them said: “It is better to die in Syria than in Hungary”. Nice people.
My point was there's 500 people on the train and you're judging them on the actions of some angry men out front. Do you think if the roles were reversed you would sit quietly waiting to be processed or demand action to be taken.

botond

My point was there's 500 people on the train and you're judging them on the actions of some angry men out front. Do you think if the roles were reversed you would sit quietly waiting to be processed or demand action to be taken.
you are a war refugee (lets assume) in a safe country where the people feed you and give you shelter , yes you wait to get processed , especially when the great EU decided it on dublin III
but in this case its even worse when you refuse to go to the shelter and get processed because now days refugees can cherrypick their country

GBBQ

you are a war refugee (lets assume) in a safe country where the people feed you and give you shelter , yes you wait to get processed , especially when the great EU decided it on dublin III
but in this case its even worse when you refuse to go to the shelter and get processed because now days refugees can cherrypick their country
Thats how you should act of course but lets be realistic, take any cross section of 500 people and place them in a train station and see how many will sit quietly.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Mina is about to be home to approximately 2.5m pilgrims in just under 7/8 days. There might be a bit of overcrowding, to say the least.
It's quite worrying how uneducated the media are regarding Mina. It's like all these years of talking about the region, but still..

So many refugees from Syria and North Africa trying to enter Europe. Why aren't the oil rich Middle East countries like Saudi, UAE, Qatar taking in any refugees? Point to ponder!
Since the start of the Syrian war in 2011, UAE have let in more than 100,000 Syrians.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I thought they were running from the war, no? Sitting quietly, waiting to get processed is apparently too much of a strain for them? They arrived into another country and demand some special treatment, act with total disrespect to local authorities and the laws of the country and throw away food and refreshments offered by the hosts.

I was a refugee once myself along with my family during the first Chechen war back in 1995. It was a nightmare experience and Russian government back then couldn't give two shits about misplaced people and their needs and the rest of the world didn't offer much help, either. It took years to get back on our feet and I take pride in the fact that we made it on our own. I feel for anyone who had to flee their homes in order to save their lives and know first hand how hard life can be in a strange place without a job, money or a place to stay. But that doesn't give you the right to abuse people that allowed you in their country and offered you food and drinks and all they asked is to follow their laws and regulations. If those cnuts were really running from the war, they'd be grateful just to be alive and safe, believe me.

Keenst

Re the people throwing away food, i think it's a disgraceful way to act all things considered. Granted it's a relatively small group of guys but what the hell do they want? Surely they understand this situation isn't exactly easy for the countries trying to deal with the influx? Maybe not..

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
or perhaps you have not seen it... Im assuming you dont watch bbc news 24 for 24 hours a day? (if so how do you know sky have not shown it?)
The main television in my house has either Sky or BBC news on it as the default channel and it's only changed if someone wants to watch a particular programme. Considering that they repeat everything multiple times a day there isn't much that I don't see.
That's doesn't mean it's been shown on the television. Just means in in their news feed.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
So “der Spiegel” reports, that the BamF (german federal office for refugees), was able to deal with 116.000 cases in in the first 6 month of 2015. They already have a huge backlog (250k+) and some refugees already had to wait over a year to get processed.

Even if they hire more staff and start to work miracles, they´ll never be able to process more than 400k this year, which isn´t even half of what is coming. Keeping hundreds of thousands refugees in a bureaucratic limbo for 1-2 years is surely a recipe for failure. So Merkel makes promises that sound nice, but the reality is just not backing that up.

botond

Thats how you should act of course but lets be realistic, take any cross section of 500 people and place them in a train station and see how many will sit quietly.
true

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
75% are men , 12 % children , 13 % woman . around 50 % syrian . many trow away their papers at the serbian border to play the syrian card
im not against helping the people from war zones , though their 'brothers in arms' just trow some money at the problem (how much of that goes actually to the people ? ) and not accepting them
but letting everyone in in the Schengen without processing and filtering was a big mistake
how is it possible for a asylum seeker to not to respect the laws of a country and to do as he pleases ? Yeah i dont want to get processed fck yo ill migrate in masses on your freeway . Yeah this takes to long lest gather in mob and shout some gods name, that will show them to respect our will .
The EU is a joke that's how . And society is a joke . The moment you try to impose your laws on people different from your race , nationality or religion you are called names all over the place
Maybe because the countries with a good number of Muslims had/has riots and terrorism problems? If you ask me I think that's fair some countries want to accept only Christians after all why they come to Europe and not to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Dubai, etc?

Red Defence

I thought they were running from the war, no? Sitting quietly, waiting to get processed is apparently too much of a strain for them? They arrived into another country and demand some special treatment, act with total disrespect to local authorities and the laws of the country and throw away food and refreshments offered by the hosts.

I was a refugee once myself along with my family during the first Chechen war back in 1995. It was a nightmare experience and Russian government back then couldn't give two shits about misplaced people and their needs and the rest of the world didn't offer much help, either. It took years to get back on our feet and I take pride in the fact that we made it on our own. I feel for anyone who had to flee their homes in order to save their lives and know first hand how hard life can be in a strange place without a job, money or a place to stay. But that doesn't give you the right to abuse people that allowed you in their country and offered you food and drinks and all they asked is to follow their laws and regulations. If those cnuts were really running from the war, they'd be grateful just to be alive and safe, believe me.
Good to have someone on this thread who has an understanding of what it feels like to be a refugee. Pleased to hear that things are OK for you now. :)

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Sounds like the start of a bad sci-fi novel.

It already was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Camp_of_the_Saints

I've been reading this and Brave New World recently and the parallels that have become true are astounding.

I thunk it's really sad but equally as true but we all know where society is heading even 50 years ago it was obvious what the issues are but we really don't do anything to solve them.

***saying all that I 100% agree in taking in people right now and wish my country (USA) was doing a lot more, but then again we generally just make things worse so mate it's for the best...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
According to this more than 50% of the refugees coming into Europe are female:

http://data.unhcr.org/syrianrefugees/regional.php
Not sure about that. Seems to be breakdown of refugees in close vicinity of Syria.

This figure includes 2.1 million Syrians registered by UNHCR in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon, 1.9 million Syrians registered by the Government of Turkey, as well as more than 24,000 Syrian refugees registered in North Africa.
Regional demographic breakdown below is based on available data from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.html

72% men 13% women 15% children seems to be breakdown of refugees coming (well, that came already) to Europe.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Not sure about that. Seems to be breakdown of refugees in close vicinity of Syria.

This figure includes 2.1 million Syrians registered by UNHCR in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon, 1.9 million Syrians registered by the Government of Turkey, as well as more than 24,000 Syrian refugees registered in North Africa.
Regional demographic breakdown below is based on available data from Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.html

72% men 13% women 15% children seems to be breakdown of refugees coming (well, that came already) to Europe.
My bad. I wonder why it is more men then.

Classical Mechanic

My bad. I wonder why it is more men then.
They are young, fit and more capable of sending back a wage to their family than women? That is if you accept that a decent number of the migrants are not refugees but opportunist economic migrants. That will be part of the reason anyway.

Last edited:

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
How easy is it to get into Europe? Did the migrants just walk in? I'm astounded 30,000 people or so just managed to waltz in to Europe and make it all the way to Germany/Denmark without anyone stopping them.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
At this point it is getting so bad, using military intervention to stabilize the region might make some sense.

I read recently that the US was trying to arm Syrian rebels to fight against ISIS, but the rebels aren't cooperating because they see their battle with Asad.

How easy is it to get into Europe? Did the migrants just walk in? I'm astounded 30,000 people or so just managed to waltz in to Europe and make it all the way to Germany/Denmark without anyone stopping them.
Noone wants to stop them. Everyone knows the majority are economic migrants who want to get to Western Europe, so they let them pass straight through. The last thing they want is for them to settle in their country and have to foot the associated cost. Theyre even laying on transport for them in some places to help them move on.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I'm morbidly curious how long it will be before some of the refugees will come out as IS-related terrorists and attempt to carry out attacks in Western Europe or start trying to radicalize others. It's virtually guaranteed to happen. Tens of thousands of fighting-age men coming for work/asylum. It'd be no problem sneaking in lots of potential psychopaths.

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
In Ireland.

What will it cost to home the refugees?

The government will spend €12m per 1000 refugees – this equates to €12,000 per refugee, a figure based on the cost per year of housing someone in Direct Provision.

The European Commission is to provide €6000 per person, so based on the rough figures we have so far we can take it that the cost to Ireland per person will be €6000.
So it will cost us €24mil to take in 4000 refugees. It's only a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So “der Spiegel” reports, that the BamF (german federal office for refugees), was able to deal with 116.000 cases in in the first 6 month of 2015. They already have a huge backlog (250k+) and some refugees already had to wait over a year to get processed.

Even if they hire more staff and start to work miracles, they´ll never be able to process more than 400k this year, which isn´t even half of what is coming. Keeping hundreds of thousands refugees in a bureaucratic limbo for 1-2 years is surely a recipe for failure. So Merkel makes promises that sound nice, but the reality is just not backing that up.
I think she was only refering to the possibility of keeping refugees in terms of capacity - which is of course possible, the population of Germany went from 82.5 to 80.5 in the last 10 years (?) or so, half a million won't suddenly turn the country into an overcrowded chaos, people are acting as if Europe is getting overrun by zombies.
I agree with you tho, the processing system in germany is a disaster thanks to the state ignoring the question for years and now the government suddenly acts surprised (Germany actually had already established a decent system in the 90s but had dismantled that system since than to save money). It's also pathetic that so much is relient on voluntary work - although its nice to see people caring etc., it's a symbol for the failure of the state. Merkel is just trying to save her face as usual, she's just been reacting to the popular opinion for years.
Having said that, it's a desaster that despite the flaws in Germanys agenda they're actually still one of the more refugee friendly countries, only the scandinavian states especially Sweden are doing a better job, the EU is pathetic at handling this humanitarian crisis.

Btw I can't believe people are really sharing "Britains First" stuff in here or quoting Farage speeches as good stuff - in any other CE thread this would've been shred to pieces, says a lot about the political climate in europe right now.:nervous:

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Btw I can't believe people are really sharing "Britains First" stuff in here or quoting Farage speeches as good stuff - in any other CE thread this would've been shred to pieces, says a lot about the political climate in europe right now.:nervous:
Yes, it's concerning.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
So, this quota system then - does anyone think it would actually work? I'm not sure how the refugees will react when they "get" Bulgaria and not Sweden or Austria but I think I have a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

GBBQ

yeah its a pity groups like that are poisoning what could be an open and interesting debate with scare mongoring memes. Vice did a good write up on it

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/kleinfeld-refugee-memes-debunking-846

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I think she was only refering to the possibility of keeping refugees in terms of capacity - which is of course possible, the population of Germany went from 82.5 to 80.5 in the last 10 years (?) or so, half a million won't suddenly turn the country into an overcrowded chaos, people are acting as if Europe is getting overrun by zombies.
I agree with you tho, the processing system in germany is a disaster thanks to the state ignoring the question for years and now the government suddenly acts surprised (Germany actually had already established a decent system in the 90s but had dismantled that system since than to save money). It's also pathetic that so much is relient on voluntary work - although its nice to see people caring etc., it's a symbol for the failure of the state. Merkel is just trying to save her face as usual, she's just been reacting to the popular opinion for years.
Having said that, it's a desaster that despite the flaws in Germanys agenda they're actually still one of the more refugee friendly countries, only the scandinavian states especially Sweden are doing a better job, the EU is pathetic at handling this humanitarian crisis.

The whole argument about population development has little to do with refugees. Big countries have the capability to accommodate many refugees; it is just a question of allocating resources accordingly. Politicians should be honest about that.

My problem with the current German position is not, that it is relatively friendly to refugees. That is a position, that I would agree on. It is the "how". Merkel made a decision without the consent in the EU, that is not sustainable. The reasonable way to deal with this would have been to strengthen the boarders of the EU significantly, while creating legal pathways for refugees into the EU (e.g. UNHCR resettlement program). This way the EU could control the flow of refugees, while countries could still offer significant help. It would ensure, that only refugees come to the EU, the whole bureaucratic process would be a lot easier and every country could decide for themselves how many they want to let in. It would also create a incentive for refugees to flee into in nearest UN camp and not to waste their money on criminal gangs who organise the journey to Europe.
I also think that you underestimate the consequences of the current bureaucratic mess in Germany for the refugees. They are kept in a limbo without the right to work in relative poverty and with huge uncertainty about their future. That is not a good first step to integrate them.

The Purley King

Great post and don't think I've ever heard anyone comment on the situation who has actually been there themselves in the past.

I agree you would have thought that people would have been grateful to be safe first and foremost. Just shows that most of the migrants are economically motivated.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The whole argument about population development has little to do with refugees. Big countries have the capability to accommodate many refugees; it is just a question of allocating resources accordingly. Politicians should be honest about that.

My problem with the current German position is not, that it is relatively friendly to refugees. That is a position, that I would agree on. It is the "how". Merkel made a decision without the consent in the EU, that is not sustainable. The reasonable way to deal with this would have been to strengthen the boarders of the EU significantly, while creating legal pathways for refugees into the EU (e.g. UNHCR resettlement program). This way the EU could control the flow of refugees, while countries could still offer significant help. It would ensure, that only refugees come to the EU, the whole bureaucratic process would be a lot easier and every country could decide for themselves how many they want to let in. It would also create a incentive for refugees to flee into in nearest UN camp and not to waste their money on criminal gangs who organise the journey to Europe.
I also think that you underestimate the consequences of the current bureaucratic mess in Germany for the refugees. They are kept in a limbo without the right to work in relative poverty and with huge uncertainty about their future. That is not a good first step to integrate them.
A lot of common sense in this post. It boggles the mind the way this has been handled.

Red Defence

A post that makes sense.

Just been watching Sky News and they are showing how the traffickers are working. "Helping people to get to the land of their dreams" was how one trafficker put it. He was careful not to imply that is was a money-making venture that they were reaping a fortune from. The impression it gave is that whilst Turkey (and others) may not actually be organising the trafficking, it has their support and backing. Turkey is openly selling life jackets, there are trucks with brand new lifeboats on being transported to the coast and the mass of people being trafficked is so large they can't not have noticed them.

Farage's mention of providing places abroad where they could apply for asylum is a good one, yet Merkel et al have done nothing along these lines. Probably because the Turkish/Libyan etc authorities won't allow it. They want rid of all these people. They don't care if they drown as long as they're gone. The EU needs to take firmer measures to control the situation and take it soon. Merkel herself to listen to other European countries too. There's no point in her going ahead and doing what she wants just because the other countries don't agree with her, and then presenting them with a fait accompli and complaining when they won't play her game. It's causing friction in Europe and deaths in the sea.

So, this quota system then - does anyone think it would actually work? I'm not sure how the refugees will react when they "get" Bulgaria and not Sweden or Austria but I think I have a pretty good idea.
Well the brochure waving migrants won't like it will they. They've got muddled and they think they have the right to choose where they want to live. That's why they are so aggressive. For some reason they seem unable to see that it's the countries who have the right to say whether they will be allowed in and where they will live, not them.

Last edited: