European football next season | United - Europa League, Chelsea - Conference League, wee club in the north-east - feck all!

tomaldinho1

I thought qualifying for the Conference League was nothing to be sniffed at? European football is European football, after all right?
There was some calculation that it was more lucrative to miss the conference league altogether but EL is definitely worth it financially. It’s not where you want to be but it’s acceptable in an off season.

Yakuza_devils

There was some calculation that it was more lucrative to miss the conference league altogether but EL is definitely worth it financially. It’s not where you want to be but it’s acceptable in an off season.
Huh? How to be more lucrative to miss a tournament in Europe altogether?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So what's our Europa League team next year?

- - - - - GK - - -
AWB - Lindelof/Evans - Maguire - Dalot
Erikson - SMT
Mount - AM - Rashford
- - - - - Amad - - - -

- - - - - Onana - - - - -
AWB - Martinez - CB - Shaw
- - - Mainoo - DM - - -
Garnacho - Bruno - LW
- - - - Hoijland - - - -

Out: Casemiro, Antony, Varene, Martial, etc

In: CB, DM, AM, LW, FW, GK

Hmm

rcoobc

I'd definitely rather not be in Europe at all than be in the conference league.

Why subject the squad to 15 mid-week games all over Europe, when they could concentrate on the Premier League+FA Cup? And the only thing you get out of the conference league is the Europa league.

Whether or not it's financially worth it to get, I wouldn't know

Yakuza_devils

I'd definitely rather not be in Europe at all than be in the conference league.

Why subject the squad to 15 mid-week games all over Europe, when they could concentrate on the Premier League+FA Cup? And the only thing you get out of the conference league is the Europa league.

Whether or not it's financially worth it to get, I wouldn't know
That's a different issue altogether. He was saying more lucrative to miss the tournament altogether.

Btw, with FFP we need to be in Europe if we want to spend more. Even with Conference League it's estimated we will earn around 40-50M.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
i don’t actually mind the Europa league now that the conference leagues out. Makes it look better :lol: Plus the last few years you have actually had decent teams in it and sometimes teams that should be in the CL are in it. So it is a tough competition.

rcoobc

That's a different issue altogether. He was saying more lucrative to miss the tournament altogether.

Btw, with FFP we need to be in Europe if we want to spend more. Even with Conference League it's estimated we will earn around 40-50M.
I dunno then. Squad bonuses?

The current squad can probably handle one game per week and do okay.

Onana
AWB - Martinez - Maguire - Shaw
Mainoo - SMT
Garnacho - Bruno - Rashford
Hoijland

But we need to significantly invest to compete on two fronts

Andersons Dietician

It’s something to do with financial fair play as Uefa rules are different regards to these new rules so missing out would allow us to spend more, So its Not that it’s more lucrative to miss Europe, it’s that we could spend more if we didn’t get it.

Someone explained it on here this week, I just can’t remember in which thread it was but they explained it really well.

Yakuza_devils

It’s something to do with financial fair play as Uefa rules are different regards to these new rules so missing out would allow us to spend more, So its Not that it’s more lucrative to miss Europe, it’s that we could spend more if we didn’t get it.

Someone explained it on here this week, I just can’t remember in which thread it was but they explained it really well.
I know that and it makes a lot of sense. But definitely it's not "more lucrative" to miss the tournament like what the poster stated.

rcoobc

I think realistically we can't compete on two fronts next year.

If we want to sell: Casemiro, Antony, Sancho, Varene, etc, then we can't compete on two fronts.

Need to play the U18s next year.

AshRK

Absolutely.

I'd always prefer winning actual trophies to the 'top 4 trophy' anyway. But if you can kill two birds with one stone by winning the cup that gets you CL qualification anyway, then that's much better than finishing top 4 but going trophyless.
Absolutely. Hate managers who just sacrifice trophies to finish top 4. I want us to win every trophy we are in for and that's what makes a club special. Not the whole nonsense of comparing points tally and getting giddy over it.

BorisManUtd

Yes, the EL is our level these days and we had good runs in this competition in recent seasons.

Hope we can win the EL a second time. I don’t mind winning this and qualifying for the CL, while not getting top 4, like we did in 2017.
Yesterday showed us again how great is winning trophies and I'm sure it makes the players only hungrier for more. We came close in Europa in 2020 (missed few sitters vs Sevilla in semis) and even closer in 2021. Even last season it was going well vs Sevilla until Martinez got injured and we conceded 2 late goals.

Won Carabao Cup last season, won Fa Cup this season. Europa League win should be the aim next season, to keep winning and to qualify for Champions League, as getting to CL via top 4 won't be easy with City, Arsenal, Liverpool + Chelsea and Newcastle around (Spurs and Villa could have good seasons as well).

Woziak

Was sick of Europa League last season after we got knocked out by Sevilla (after same happened vs them in 2020 and Villarreal in 2021). But great to qualify for it again. It's really our level and hope we can be good enough next season to go on and win it. Teams like Atalanta and Leverkusen showed how difficult it can be so we'll have to at our best.
The advantage next season is there is no drop down from the Champions League so we d
It’s only our second FA Cup win since Fergie left, so not a big pool to choose from.
I meant his first Fa Cup win in 1990 when he was also on the verge of being sacked.

Woziak

Yesterday showed us again how great is winning trophies and I'm sure it makes the players only hungrier for more. We came close in Europa in 2020 (missed few sitters vs Sevilla in semis) and even closer in 2021. Even last season it was going well vs Sevilla until Martinez got injured and we conceded 2 late goals.

Won Carabao Cup last season, won Fa Cup this season. Europa League win should be the aim next season, to keep winning and to qualify for Champions League, as getting to CL via top 4 won't be easy with City, Arsenal, Liverpool + Chelsea and Newcastle around (Spurs and Villa could have good seasons as well).
Will be more likely to be Top 5 CL English teams will be much better genuinely seeing City win the CL, United could win EL and Chelsea should Win ECL English teams should go deep next season

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Will be more likely to be Top 5 CL English teams will be much better genuinely seeing City win the CL, United could win EL and Chelsea should Win ECL English teams should go deep next season
They should have done that as well this season. Fact is, only four English teams will start in next seasons CL because they fecked up. There is no guarantee that they will perform as expected next season. It's surely more probable than not, but I wouldn't trust in that.

Chumpsbechumps

I’m delighted to be in Europa the way things ended. As it got closer to end of final I kept hearing that song “Thursday night, is Europa night”.

DJ_21

How much extra money do we get now we’ve qualified for Europa?

DJ_21

I’m delighted to be in Europa the way things ended. As it got closer to end of final I kept hearing that song “Thursday night, is Europa night”.
It’s funny because in Newcastle last games of the season they was all chanting we’re back in Europe…. That ended well.

Red Royal

There will be lots of Sunday Premier League games through the season, some not even televised in UK. Bring it on!

DJ_21

The 8th game is being playing in January. Is that later than normal? I thought the last group game is usually in December

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The 8th game is being playing in January. Is that later than normal? I thought the last group game is usually in December
Yes, but it's going to be the first season with 8 group matches. Until this season it was only 6.

RedRocket9908

There is still the issue of both Nice and us being in this with the same owners, according to some reports we could still be forced to drop in to the Conference League.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
IPTV is the saviour ( I hear)
Fun fact. Every United league match is shown with English commentary in full HD on one of the satellite TV channels of Supersport Albania.

Bwuk

I hope we rotate a bit more next year in the Europa. We've been guilty of playing our strongest 11 a lot in this previously when could have got away with rotating.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
IPTV is the saviour ( I hear)
Absolutely is. Not just for sport either? New films, loads of TV series. Fantastic.
Fun fact. Every United league match is shown with English commentary in full HD on one of the satellite TV channels of Supersport Albania.
Yip. Theres a good German channel too and uSa (American channel obviously) shows quite a lot.

So I hear. :nervous:

Yakuza_devils

I hope we rotate a bit more next year in the Europa. We've been guilty of playing our strongest 11 a lot in this previously when could have got away with rotating.
ETH always play largely the same/strongest 11 available. He is not known to be good in rotation.