European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dinostar77

No way. Legally, i doubt that they can do it. They can but will pay penalties for that. To clubs and maybe to tv media and sponsors.
Of course they can legally do it, its UEFAs competition. The 12 clubs withdrew from the ECA which is them giving notice on their membership of UEFA anyway.

Dve

Yeah, I mean you get the odd new team popping up but looking at the likely teams to get promoted this year: Norwich, Watford, and possibly one of Swansea and Bournemouth.
It´s not only about which teams you play, it´s the whole atmosphere around the league. You play teams fighting relegation, you fight for a following season with European football. The matches mean something. The Super League will be be about winning it, and that´s pretty much it.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
But so is the Super League, especially if UEFA and FIFA are joined by the national associations. Imagine no PL football, no matches for your national team. No CL or EL. Who would want to play for Manchester United?

I put my money on the Super League will never happen. The owners of a few football clubs cannot possible fight the whole world.
Players would play for United if they are playing regularly against top opposition. The PL will die without the top teams as will other European Leagues. if all the top teams were banned top players aren't going to sign for a second rate club to play against other second rate teams week in week out and TV companies won't pay for the privilege.

Whether people agree or not, they have to be realistic.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can they even do that? Legally I mean.
I see this as being similar to Juventus recognising their 2005-06 league title win despite not having officially won it. UEFA will still have Real Madrid and their 13 European Cup/Champions League titles in their records regardless of what Real Madrid choose to present.

United Hobbit

Apparently teams going in it may be kicked out of Europe Friday?

Just as we are doing well in the Europa!

Surely though that only leaves PSG in CL Surely they can't just give them the CL just because they aren't in this super league?

The players are more powerful than the owners. Nobody watches football because of Joel Glazer or Daniel Levy.

If the players made an actual stand - strike action in particular - that would be the fastest way to end all of this. Probably the only way actually, outside of a legal intervention.

Unfortunately, most of them are either cowards or aggressively self-serving. We've had exactly one player who's made any sort of statment (Bruno)...and it's no coincidence that he's one of our only players who doesn't have a PR team or a social media manager.

Half the rest are either waiting for others to speak out first, to test the waters, because their brand identity is more important than their princples. The other half are waiting to find out what a Super League would mean for their next contract, because becoming an even bigger millionaire is (much) more important than the supporters wishes.
it’s been less than 24 hours.

given the intense scrutiny on this, if I was a footballer, I wouldn’t go anywhere near this at the moment.

most importantly, they have the same info as is. There’s confusion, accusations, threats and everything being thrown around. Do not blame the players for waiting to see what this really means.

I’ve no doubt we will have people come out and speak, but let the dust settle.

They run the Euros so they can exclude players who have played in unlicensed breakaway competitions. I think FIFA have final say over the World Cup.
I know they can do it (from a practical perspective) - but how CAN they do this? How can they think this is right? Just punishing players who arbitrarily are playing for these 12 players. It’s an outrageous threat to the players - who will have no choice if they are currently under contract.

if players want to go, the reality is they are unlikely to be allowed to, and who expect other ESL teams could afford them?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Right, but the Super League breaks out of all of those traditional structures and football pyramids. The Premier League was still part of the English footballing ladder, still recognised by the English FA, and still interacted with the EFL leagues via promotion/relegation and the League Cup. As I stated in my earlier response:
England (and Scotland, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales) should definitely have a 2nd "World Championship" title for wining those Olympics...

SwedishFish

It´s not only about which teams you play, it´s the whole atmosphere around the league. You play teams fighting relegation, you fight for a following season with European football. The matches mean something. The Super League will be be about winning it, and that´s pretty much it.
Now that I agree with, I like that competitive element of relegation, etc but even that has lost a bit of its touch in recent years with the money gap being so huge between the PL and Championship that it's too easy to bounce back up again.

Not sure it'd be much different if its just a replacement for CL though, maybe a few dead rubber games.

redshaw

Klopp didn’t seem that bothered tbh
Yep, these guys are employed to take the club into whatever competition is there. Of course they can understand the grievances and ethics but they also want a spot in the CL/SL and will take it.

The fans have to collectively come forward first.

0le

I've been wondering this. There's a lot of teams needed to be added, and after all this uproar, which clubs will be happy to join the party now? Or will money do the talking.
I am also interested in the sponsorships. Considering the extremely large public and political uproar, what sponsors will want to put their names on this?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Of course they can legally do it, its UEFAs competition. The 12 clubs withdrew from the ECA which is them giving notice on their membership of UEFA anyway.
From this year, they can't. Because those 5 clubs which are involved brought money to Uefa. Through sponsors and tv rights. Uefa must transfer part of that money to them.
On paper, they did not do anything wrong regarding this year's competition. But i am not lawyer so...

ChaddyP

Scale it down slightly?
i dunno man. Seems they whole point of this thing was a decently sized 20 club league, probably why so much money was involved. Would probably unravel if all other clubs of relevance tell them to piss off. The same 12 clubs every year? that sounds EVEN more shit

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From this year, they can't. Because those 5 clubs which are involved brought money to Uefa. Through sponsors and tv rights. Uefa must transfer part of that money to them.
On paper, they did not do anything wrong regarding this year's competition. But i am not lawyer so...
You are right

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
People are deluded if they think most clubs won’t jump at the chance to join this. Celtic and Rangers in particular I’d imagine will be desperate for the opportunity.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I see this as being similar to Juventus recognising their 2005-06 league title win despite not having officially won it. UEFA will still have Real Madrid and their 13 European Cup/Champions League titles in their records regardless of what Real Madrid choose to present.
I can see UEFA being heavily opposed to this proposal as the ESL is in no way related to the CL.

This is a proper mess
:houllier:

I don't think any here have the answer. I guess, since players contract would require registration to UEFA, FIFA, perhaps if the players themselves doesn't want ESL, there would be a way to terminate the contract. There is still PSG, Bayern that is not confirmed for ESL that can still afford great expensive player especially on a free.
indeed. I don’t expect answers at the moment. It’s a muddle. There will be some clubs that can afford wages/ fees - but if there were to belots of players, it’s not possible.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I am also interested in the sponsorships. Considering the extremely large public and political uproar, what sponsors will want to put their names on this?
No doubts

Including all kit and boot makers

Dve

Players would play for United if they are playing regularly against top opposition. The PL will die without the top teams as will other European Leagues. if all the top teams were banned top players aren't going to sign for a second rate club to play against other second rate teams week in week out and TV companies won't pay for the privilege.

Whether people agree or not, they have to be realistic.
I´m not convinced that´s the only outcome here. The Super League will suffer if the players cannot play for their national teams or in the national leagues. Many players, also among the best ones, will hesitate to throw everything else overboard. And how much will the TV companies pay for a concept that everybody hates and nobody wants?