European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
I'm just over the outrage. It looks like it's happening so I'd like to discuss how its going to happen and what it's going to look like but it doesn't seem like we're ready for that yet so we can have this discussion at a later date when everyone has calmed down I guess
clear wum

LordNinio

I don’t think they kick us out the prem, but who knows. However the fact we are being threatened to be is a pretty big red flag that we’re in the wrong.
In fairness the same threats were made with the introduction of European football in the 50s, United went against it and played. The same threats were made again with the introduction of the PL.

Eurotrash

https://thesuperleague.com/

Unless this is fake that suggests it will only replace the Champions League. And if that's true I'm all for it. UEFA is corrupt to the core and make so much money off the back of the clubs. It's about time there was a shake up really. Although I still think there should be an independent body, rather than club owners managing the league.
The big problem with the SL is the fact that the 15 founding clubs are always guaranteed a spot. This will have an enormous detrimental effect on the PL.

While I do think there are a lot of problems with the CL and the suggested changes, this fact alone is why I sincerely hope the SL will be a non-starter.

Stactix

Are people ignoring the fact that UEFA reforming the competition anyway? It's barely going to be different than the super league anyway.
It's still based on Merit though. Super league is for the rich boys and qualification isn't needed.
Arsenal are in the ESL but won't be in the CL why because they're rich and a founder.. not because they're any fecking good.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Will destroy the quality of the premier league. Plus how would it even work lets say the top 3 in the EPL will be some of the Superleague clubs, who gets the champions league places?
Also how will clubs get into it, if it is the champions of certain leagues, Accrington Stanley will be in there eventually. Everytime a club disappears from the league more and more clubs will need promoting to make up the numbers in their own leagues.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
People still didn't realized how well planned and backed the new ESL is. We are talking about major companies already offering billions advanced for it to happen. I hope it's a major bluff, though, because if it's not, it can tottaly become true.
Yeah... so true. I guess there is a solid business and finance plan for the next 5 years. These clubs will be the richest in the world.
The only missing thing for them is a superstar duo like Messi and C. Ronaldo in their prime. If they get that, the league will be a major success and there will be a long line of clubs bidding to join the league.

Godfather

The current PL, EL & CL competitions have just lost all their interest now. Who cares about competing for trophies that are about to be made redundant?
Well the title fight is still very much exciting. Not sure the same can be said for the places 5-8 or what it might turn out to be that will play in the CL if the first 4 places are filled with the ESL teams. Strange times

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Are people ignoring the fact that UEFA reforming the competition anyway? It's barely going to be different than the super league anyway.
If this was just a proposed new Champions League format/competition, then that would be fine... it's the divine right/automatic entry that totally fecks this whole thing up. (and the greed of it of course - but then thats to be expected - and thats from everyone in football, though it doesn't make it any less gross)

SirAnderson

Slightly different view, as a football fan first. Feck it, let them do it. Kick them out of the domestic leagues, keep the Champions League for those who remain and put in place some real FFP rules to stop the plastic clubs from happening again. The quality won't be the same, but I'd enjoy watching Leicester and West Ham battle it out for the title and Wolves vs Ajax in the Champions League.

We can get our game back, it'll just be at the sacrifice of these 12 clubs. Crossy and 'global audience' can watch this Super League crap, we'll watch some real football again.
If by get our game back you mean, the Hollywood rolling around on the ground, shite refs and horrible VAR decisions, then yeah...not sure when we will get our game back.

This is something entirely different, and long before it came around football as we know it, is a far cry from its roots, and I'm afraid that game is not coming back ever.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Exactly. It's arbitrary in terms of era. Now Spurs are among the valuable clubs, who's to say that is still in 50 years time. But because of this guaranteed qualification they have secured a structural advantage over the likes of Leicester and Everton.
The current 'big teams' have seen this opportunity and probably cemented their place at the top for a very long time now. Spurs will become a great team with the money, as will every club involved. It's the knock on effect to the rest of the leagues. Nobody will listen to their fans, I'm just glad us and supporters of the other SL teams haven't took the above as a positive and actually have some moral compass.

antk

Not allowed to post media, but many players are starting to publish negative opinions on social media. Ander Herrera has just released a statement on Twitter.

Statue of Limitations

I might be done if this actually happens.

My support in the grand scheme of things is not worth anything but I wonder how many will feel the same.

We already have the CL and it was great playing and beating PSG whilst also beating Man City domestically.

Setting this up during Covid is Puzzling too.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When your reading things through tears most things seem like a wind up but I assure you it's not. Just chill out and lets see what happens next.
Still trying but why? What do you get from it?

there’s talk of United leaving the premier league to join a closed fantasy league of supposed top teams, even if they stay in the prem it will be a mess for qualification to other European trophies but you’d rather come across all calm and chilled and make out everyone is crying while you talk about loopholes and Fred nonsense. Clear wum and not even a funny one. Last bite from me :)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yeah... so true. I guess there is a solid business and finance plan for the next 5 years. These clubs will be the richest in the world.
The only missing thing for them is a superstar duo like Messi and C. Ronaldo in their prime. If they get that, the league will be a major success and there will be a long line of clubs bidding to join the league.
They only need to convince PSG to join, or manage a way to get Neymar and Mbappé into ESL squads. But let's wait for everyone to put the cards on the table. The only way for UEFA to hold their position is to give them a direct position to negotiate tv revenues, which ultimately is what those clubs want. There's still space for an agreement like happened when UEFA reformulated Chmapions League so that at least top 4 clubs of major leagues could get access to it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well the title fight is still very much exciting. Not sure the same can be said for the places 5-8 or what it might turn out to be that will play in the CL if the first 4 places are filled with the ESL teams. Strange times
What title fight? Maybe if City, Us, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal get removed, then the league would become exciting again (Not that Liverpool or Arsenal have any impact really).

AneRu

Chelsea have left now as well. So they are going all in.
£400m is a lot of money and sadly it looks like this is more serious than brinksmanship. I went to sleep thinking that it's just a negotiating tactic to secure more for themselves and maybe a bit of independence wrt streaming deals and the like. A lot of smart and influential people have clearly worked on this for some time.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s postering. The PL aren’t kicking out the big 6, no chance in hell
And when they don’t and the super league 6 finish 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th etc in the prem who qualifies for the champions league? 3rd and 5th?
or the super league teams won’t even put effort in the prem as there’s nothing to gain from it anyway, they’re already in the money SL and will be playing reserves and youth and finishing bottom half. I can’t make much sense of it

kidbob

We should never have let Americans buy our football clubs. Now they are going destroy our football history.
Again 'we' had no choice in the matter. UEFA, the PL and governments did but didn't bother to do anything. Now they are crying because the monster they created is going against their wishes.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
How can the clubs run the show themselves?

It is a massive conflict of interest most visible in that guaranteed spot.

The next step is for a few founding members to decide they should have 15 players on the pitch rather than 11.

These founding members got where they are thanks to their FAs and UEFA. Now they prevent others from developing.

Unless there is a plan for every new team in Superleague to take up equity on the same footing as the founding members ?:houllier:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
If this was just a proposed new Champions League format/competition, then that would be fine... it's the divine right/automatic entry that totally fecks this whole thing up. (and the greed of it of course - but then thats to be expected - and thats from everyone in football, though it doesn't make it any less gross)
Exactly. Glazers only cared about top 4 every year and now they have it. Guaranteed money worth it or not. Disgraceful.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s postering. The PL aren’t kicking out the big 6, no chance in hell
Even if they've all got far more money and little to play for given they'll be in super league regardless of premier league position?

Imagine how dull the last few seasons would have been without any top 4 race.

PL might decide it's better to boot the 6 teams and rebuild from there.

Ultimately the Super League kills domestic football as we currently know it and I can see it failing to get off the ground because of that.

There are way of creating a super league that would work, but not this plan with a closed shop.

crossy1686

career ending
Still trying but why? What do you get from it?

there’s talk of United leaving the premier league to join a closed fantasy league of supposed top teams, even if they stay in the prem it will be a mess for qualification to other European trophies but you’d rather come across all calm and chilled and make out everyone is crying while you talk about loopholes and Fred nonsense. Clear wum and not even a funny one. Last bite from me :)
Like seriously mate, I understand people are upset but this outrage was off the back of Sky wading in heavy yesterday. We really don't know all the details yet and what if Sky were painting the worst picture possible to garner public opinion? I'm not trying to WUM anyone but we really should wait until all parties have spoken and we know the full extent of what will happen before a meltdown. The threats being made aren't sustainable by the organisations making them, and if they do, what's stopping United forming an actual breakaway league that would involve other clubs from the PL and maybe even the UK? Rangers and Celtic would be in for sure.

Let's all just relax a bit and see how this all unfolds with less anger and more anticipation of a new era.