European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

United Hobbit

Isnt it conflict of interest having some of the clubs owners as chairmen?

Has Ole said anything? Worrying the players aren't happy, but where could they go bar Bayern or PSG? All other "big" clubs are in it...

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
IIRC David Elleray was miked up for a Division One game in the late 80s for a trial, but it was shelved after the match was basically 90 minutes of him being sworn at and abused by the players.
That was literally 30-40 years ago now.

SeanyC

Comment of the Day: Next time you think of putting money into the pockets of a billionaire via shirt sales, merchandise, PPV etc maybe buy a raffle ticket, or a few balls, or some bibs for a local grassroots club instead, make a difference to the part of the game who don’t get billions already.

Dve

The clubs could argue that informing the players would violate insider trading laws. You are not supposed to have information that radically influences share values before it´s made public.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I´m not convinced that´s the only outcome here. The Super League will suffer if the players cannot play for their national teams or in the national leagues. Many players, also among the best ones, will hesitate to throw everything else overboard. And how much will the TV companies pay for a concept that everybody hates and nobody wants?
The TV companies would pay a fortune for top class matches between the best teams week in week out, they'd have millions of subscribers all over the world.

At present the intention is to still play the domestic competitions as well, maybe the PL wll be reduced to say 16 teams in the future but if UEFA launch into banning top clubs straight away without thinking very carefully about it, it could destroy the framework of the current leagues and cups anyway.

I fully expect a lot of discussion and some kind of compromise in the end.

Matt Law: "I'm disappointed in Chelsea and City as they broke the traditional cartel in England and improved the competition of the Premier League. Now they've joined something that denies others the same opportunity"

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Yep that would be the late 80s. I doubt the intervening years have made footballers behave like rugby players being deferential to the referee though.

The owners clearly have the NFL in mind here.
You wouldn't have it turned on for 90 minutes though, just for VAR checks and explanations.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The clubs could argue that informing the players would violate insider trading laws. You are not supposed to have information that radically influences share values before it´s made public.
Not quite. You can have the information but you're not supposed to act on it.

NotThatSoph

Personal attacks are not opinions. No matter if you agree or not.
Believing that you're a prick is an opinion. As is believing you're a disgrace.

You told someone to shut up earlier. That's not an opinion. That's a command, telling people to stop sharing their opinions. Believing that someone should shut up, though, that's an opinion.

Lyricist

Breaking News:

Open play goals to be worth 6 points each!!
Additionally players who score get the option to potentially add another 1 or 2 goals right after by either scoring a penalty kick (worth 1 goal) or scoring from one of the classic American style penalties, where you run at the goal from the half way line (worth 2 goals).

Also as the ESL board hears the fans' cries for less time wasting, the clock will finally be stopped when the ball is out of play or when a player has been fouled. That way there will now also be time to play 1 advert each time the ball is out of play. Play will continue with the same time on the game clock as soon as the advert is done. ESL finals could see longer specialized commercial breaks whenever the ball is out of play. For match going fans there will be a marching band present at all times to fill in until the game is resumed.

/s

stevoc

I am also interested in the sponsorships. Considering the extremely large public and political uproar, what sponsors will want to put their names on this?
Probably most of the same sponsors that are quite happy to sponsor the 2022 World Cup in Qatar despite all the bad press.

SwedishFish

Believing that you're a prick is an opinion. As is believing you're a disgrace.

You told someone to shut up earlier. That's not an opinion. That's a command, telling people to stop sharing their opinions. Believing that someone should shut up, though, that's an opinion.
Calling me a prick is a personal attack. I told someone to shut up after being called a prick. I wouldn't say that's crossing any boundaries.

Now are you just going to talk about me all day?

I'm very flattered.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Shameless power grab.

It would not be so bad as an evolution of the CL, which of course they have just announced anyway, though the scary thing about that is how many more games there are. Something has to give there surely. I don't like the idea of guaranteed members, and even less the idea of 5 others playing in it based on their achievements. I mean what if Arsenal finish bottom every season but remain in, while Leicester or someone qualify to be in it and finish top half but get booted out because they don't qualify again. It is just wrong.

That said, I think a lot of the pundits etc. are going a bit over the top in their reactions. With some changes and more on board it would not be so bad... but then again what really is wrong with the CL? Not a lot.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
No they won't? They shouldn't anyway. What aren't you understanding, it's not the same organisation, its a totally separate entity. There's no logical reason why the titles should carry over.
sigh

The Premier League is a completely separate entity from the old First Division.

The old First Division was run by "The Football League". The current "Premier League" is run by the "Premier League". As you said: It's not the same organisation, its a totally separate entity.

You may notice they are different trophies.

That's because they are different competitions. Liverpool have 1 Premier League win, and 19 English league titles

1 Premier league win

19 English League titles.

The two things are counted separately, and together.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not quite. You can have the information but you're not supposed to act on it.
They wouldn't be allowed to inform players. Its a Chinese wall, unless you’re involved in the financial side you are not in the know. Those in the financial side are the ones not allowed to act

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It can only work in my view if you ensure players who abuse the officials get sanctions. Otherwise you have swearing before the watershed which TV companies hate.

And unlike the NFL, which is run (as far as I know) only in English, you may need officials to make sense of many languages in one game.
Think you meant to quote Berbaclass, mate :)

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
You wouldn't have it turned on for 90 minutes though, just for VAR checks and explanations.
It can only work in my view if you ensure players who abuse the officials get sanctions. Otherwise you have swearing before the watershed which TV companies hate.

And unlike the NFL, which is run (as far as I know) only in English, you may need officials to make sense of many languages in one game.

SwedishFish

What an absolute arsewipe.

United and Arsenal spending club generated money to form one of the great rivalries = cartel
State funded and oil funded clubs = great for the league

feck you dickwad
I don't think this was meant as insulting @Moderators.

I think he was referring to the tweet.