European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was last year when football returned after lockdown.

I think you are thinking of Project Big Picture which was led by both ourselves & Liverpool
That’s the one. I suppose I proved my point. Big Picture, that was the one. Don’t remember what that was about, apart from it was a power grab, and it got knocked back.

diarm

Sky are blatantly lying about expecting an announcement so we'll all keep watching their ads, broken every 20 minutes by an update on how Stewart Cink and Lee Bowyer are getting on.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
We've already seen a proposal to ban transfers between the top clubs, and apparently fear of such mechanisms is the main reason why PSG has not so far joined the initiative.
My understanding is that PSG is not interested because their owner has already invested a lot of money into CL media rights via his BeIN Media Group company.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Aren't drafts based on a college system though?

It's totally unrealistic to expect a draft system in football where clubs produce players through their own academy. There would be no incentive to invest in player development.
In the US College sports are enormous, some games can be viewed by as many as 20 million people for a tournament final, and it takes care of development for the large sport franchises. As you point out, that simply won't work in European football where that model of development does not exist.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Announcement delayed potentially because they were arrogant enough to not expect this backlash?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He first admits that the super league is real but also offers an alternative. It's a money grab, they aren't going to announce a thing, they want the UEFA to make a move and cave once again.
Yeah it's pretty much my opinion as well. UEFA should go back to the drawing board because their swiss championship idea is terrible.

predator

Youth NITK
I wouldnt now be surprised if secret meetings between the various parties have been going on for months and an agreement simply couldn't be made during them and it reached a stalemate.

The 'rebel clubs' have decidely to press and simply made the first move, publicly. Cant see this ending well at all. There's going to be alot of backtracking and legal ramifications.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Still don't understand why Gary Neville and co. jumped to conclusion based on scant details.

None of their reasoning about it being a disgrace makes sense. They're acting as Sky's representatives saying stuff without knowing what's really happening. I still have to understand how this would impact the fans of the clubs.

Just outrage for no reason.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
My understanding is that PSG is not interested because their owner has already invested a lot of money into CL media rights via his BeIN Media Group company.
He's also on UEFA's Executive Committee.

It's just one bunch of crooks looking out for their own interests vs another bunch of crooks doing the same thing.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
They probably leaked this themselves to see the reaction. And now they'll go "no comment" or "it's just rumors".

No "Super league" will happen, calm down everyone.

And also, feck the Glazers, cnuts the lot of them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If it happens France, Belgium, Netherland and Germany should create its own super league, the Farmers League.

justsomebloke

Based that on this line from the Guardian: PSG’s reluctance to turn their back on Ligue 1 despite major issues with its new TV rights deal could be down to proposed stringent financial regulations in the new competition that would be similar to Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

Which sounds a lot like parity mechanisms to me. But who knows. Some more:

Bayern and Dortmund rule out Super League, PSG not committing to it (besoccer.com)

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Laporta just gave an interview saying that he'd rather have a club world cup than a super league.

I'm totally confused atm.
A true club WORLD Cup following the FIFA format with qualifiers I'd actually be very interested in seeing, but I'd be amazed if there was ever time for it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Still don't understand why Gary Neville and co. jumped to conclusion based on scant details.

None of their reasoning about it being a disgrace makes sense. They're acting as Sky's representatives saying stuff without knowing what's really happening. I still have to understand how this would impact the fans of the clubs.

Neville works for Sky. The PL is Sky's golden goose. They've given up on the CL, EL and La Liga and now the English clubs are putting a spanner in the works.

Green_Red

The thread title "European Super League | announcement has been delayed due to nobody being sure how Tottenham were invited." Genius.

Superden

It wil work as lets be honest, most / enough fans are fickle as fook.. See FSGOut is now trending, considering how they were treated as Messiahs only 6 months ago. Glazers have got away with what they've done to our club whilst taking in massive piles of dosh, all the fan furore hasn't dented their piles of dosh

Stacks

Can;t lie I would watch about the first half of the league jsut out of curiosity then transition fully to basketball. I have little interest in following a 12 team closed competition every year.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

When it is all forgotten by next weekend, there will be a few people looking back on their reactions. Just be glad it is not a normal season or a few people may have been begging Old Trafford for their hastily thrown season tickets back, judging by this thread.

crossy1686

career ending

Because they got told they were all about to be made redundant.

Once all the details come out, you'll start to see pundits not on Sky talking positively about it. A brand new platform with a brand new competition will need some very well paid pundits won't it?

kkj25

Yeah for all we know they were planning on Friendlies every year between each other(Not Likely). But everyone is jumping to conclusions including Muppet Johnson. We haven't even established what the deal is to have this many opinions on it.

Mike Keegan: Told City and Chelsea were backed into a corner. Would be amazed if it was a coincidence JP Morgan are closely linked to financing element (Woodward's former employer)

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

crossy1686

career ending
When it is all forgotten by next weekend, there will be a few people looking back on their reactions. Just be glad it is not a normal season or a few people may have been begging Old Trafford for their hastily thrown season tickets back, judging by this thread.
They'll be onboard next week once they see the power shift and realise there's a pound note to be made as a pundit elsewhere