European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still don't understand why Gary Neville and co. jumped to conclusion based on scant details.

None of their reasoning about it being a disgrace makes sense. They're acting as Sky's representatives saying stuff without knowing what's really happening. I still have to understand how this would impact the fans of the clubs.

Just outrage for no reason.

My understanding is that PSG is not interested because their owner has already invested a lot of money into CL media rights via his BeIN Media Group company.

He's also on UEFA's Executive Committee.

It's just one bunch of crooks looking out for their own interests vs another bunch of crooks doing the same thing.

They probably leaked this themselves to see the reaction. And now they'll go "no comment" or "it's just rumors".

No "Super league" will happen, calm down everyone.

And also, feck the Glazers, cnuts the lot of them.

If it happens France, Belgium, Netherland and Germany should create its own super league, the Farmers League.

My understanding is that PSG is not interested because their owner has already invested a lot of money into CL media rights via his BeIN Media Group company.

Based that on this line from the Guardian: PSG’s reluctance to turn their back on Ligue 1 despite major issues with its new TV rights deal could be down to proposed stringent financial regulations in the new competition that would be similar to Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

Which sounds a lot like parity mechanisms to me. But who knows. Some more:

Bayern and Dortmund rule out Super League, PSG not committing to it (besoccer.com)

Laporta just gave an interview saying that he'd rather have a club world cup than a super league.

I'm totally confused atm.

A true club WORLD Cup following the FIFA format with qualifiers I'd actually be very interested in seeing, but I'd be amazed if there was ever time for it.

Still don't understand why Gary Neville and co. jumped to conclusion based on scant details.

None of their reasoning about it being a disgrace makes sense. They're acting as Sky's representatives saying stuff without knowing what's really happening. I still have to understand how this would impact the fans of the clubs.

Neville works for Sky. The PL is Sky's golden goose. They've given up on the CL, EL and La Liga and now the English clubs are putting a spanner in the works.

The thread title "European Super League | announcement has been delayed due to nobody being sure how Tottenham were invited." Genius.

It wil work as lets be honest, most / enough fans are fickle as fook.. See FSGOut is now trending, considering how they were treated as Messiahs only 6 months ago. Glazers have got away with what they've done to our club whilst taking in massive piles of dosh, all the fan furore hasn't dented their piles of dosh

Can;t lie I would watch about the first half of the league jsut out of curiosity then transition fully to basketball. I have little interest in following a 12 team closed competition every year.

When it is all forgotten by next weekend, there will be a few people looking back on their reactions. Just be glad it is not a normal season or a few people may have been begging Old Trafford for their hastily thrown season tickets back, judging by this thread.

Because they got told they were all about to be made redundant.

Once all the details come out, you'll start to see pundits not on Sky talking positively about it. A brand new platform with a brand new competition will need some very well paid pundits won't it?

Yeah for all we know they were planning on Friendlies every year between each other(Not Likely). But everyone is jumping to conclusions including Muppet Johnson. We haven't even established what the deal is to have this many opinions on it.

Mike Keegan: Told City and Chelsea were backed into a corner. Would be amazed if it was a coincidence JP Morgan are closely linked to financing element (Woodward's former employer)

When it is all forgotten by next weekend, there will be a few people looking back on their reactions. Just be glad it is not a normal season or a few people may have been begging Old Trafford for their hastily thrown season tickets back, judging by this thread.
They'll be onboard next week once they see the power shift and realise there's a pound note to be made as a pundit elsewhere

That’s what Gary Neville does time after time

He will talk like he’s ready to stop being a red, that it’s the biggest crime since Hitler, he is sick to the stomach and can’t bear football any more

In 2 weeks he will be just back to normal

I would've agreed with the people saying this is just the top clubs trying to force Uefa to change the CL format.... BUT, they seem to have bank backing sorted which suggests a bit more.

I distinctly remember rumours last summer about this thing and it was mentioned there was funding from JP Morgan to the tune of millions.

This whole thing is not an overnight intern idea. It's been ongoing for ages and why the Glazers never considered selling the club. Imagine how much money they'd make selling viewing rights through the MUTV map.

Hilarious how much the fecking Daily Mail are going all in on the EVIL AMERICANS TAKING AWAY OUR BEAUTIFUL GAME angle. There's no information here, at all, just "I'm being instructed to tell you, again, to blame the Americans".

I feel so sorry for the poor oil clubs being bullied. :(

To mobilise fans, politicians and other clubs against it, and thereby judge their level of support against the other side...
To create outrage by labelling something as a breakaway when it's anything but. Sky just wanted to create a massive kick back to force clubs into premature action so they don't lose the PL

That's two people I've read say that this would result in them leaving football for basketball.

Aside from any of the other issues of greed, ringfencing, betrayal etc, the people in charge need to take a long hard look at themselves and consider what the victims of their selfishness are having to resort to here.

Basketball.

That's not it, BeIN isn't going to broadcast the most interesting games (canal + got them) and I doubt they paid more than 100M for that, it's far less than what PSG would get playing in the superleague and i doubt they care about the money anyway.

You’ve got to think Gary isn’t impartial. Would assume any potential loss of revenue this substantial to the PL will directly filter down the leagues and lose him a lot of money.