European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

padr81

Supports
Man City
UEFA / FIFA appearing to be the hero when they have been absolutely inept concerning the need for centralisation over football is a running joke. I don't think this is a good competition given the lack of competitiveness but football has been a downward trend for the last few years.

It needs a shakeup, a European league isn't the worst idea if it can coincide with domestic football / cups, have a relevant reward / risk system and all the while booting UEFA out as a trademark.
This is the problem no one that hates the Super League thinks Uefa is the solution, how about this, let the 15 founder clubs organise a draw with no seeding for the 512 top Uefa ranked clubs. Play off, open draw and top 16 make the super league and share the 3.5 billion by being the 16 ESL teams, or remove the relegation clause thats gonna keep Arsenal in there for 20 years.

Acquire Me

This would happen sooner rather than later. It’s business. In terms of business I say; well played.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
United about to get the big bucks and secure their future for years to come....but in turn completely kills the premier league.

The league will be used like the Carabao Cup now if we’re still allowed to partake.
I don't get this killing the league. It seems to me this is like an alternative European competition? I'm truly confused.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
UEFA / FIFA appearing to be the hero when they have been absolutely inept concerning the need for centralisation over football is a running joke. I don't think this is a good competition given the lack of competitiveness but football has been a downward trend for the last few years.

It needs a shakeup, a European league isn't the worst idea if it can coincide with domestic football / cups, have a relevant reward / risk system and all the while booting UEFA out as a trademark.

It doesn't.

The proposed Super League makes:

Winning your 10 team group meaningless. You go from a series format to a knockout format akin to the Belgian league.
It makes the Premier League meaningless for the "founding clubs - The "race for top 4" which is a massive part of the series charm will go extinct.

Because of the proposed number of games, participating clubs will have to forfeit at least one domestic cup, possibly both.

We'll no longer hear the Champions League hymn.

And the treble is no longer possible.

crossy1686

career ending
Everyone wants to be part of the outrage.

In the end, entertainment is my objective and I think this competition is going to be fun.
This thread is a live example of why we can't have nice things. We've not even got all the details yet and there's mass outrage. Why don't we just wait and see how it all unfolds?

Suv666

Capitalism strikes again

Will not watch a single match of this Americanized bullshit. Football is dead. Feckers killed the one thing I enjoyed.
Cnuts

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't get this killing the league. It seems to me this is like an alternative European competition? I'm truly confused.
Part of the incentive for clubs to focus on the league is placement that qualifies clubs for the Champions League. Being guaranteed a place in the contest removes that consideration. The focus will fall on the contest that awards the most money - The Super League

0le

I'm glad looking on here, twitter etc. the number of people for it is tiny, means nothing, but it's good that we're mostly all united.
It really needs big named players and managers to collectively disapprove of it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If we're not all kicked out of our leagues, will the champions league change its name? Best go back to just calling it the european cup seeing as most of the champions will be gone.
I hope that there will be a champion next year?

JTW95

Gullible sausage
This is really happening isn't it?

Prepare for tv subscriptions and ticket prices to increase.

Be interesting to see if the domestic leagues have the balls to impose some serious punishment to the teams involved.

crossy1686

career ending
I swear Agnelli was the biggest proponent of the Swiss model for the CL. So all the time he was campaigning for CL reform he was actually in talks about the Super League..
New badge, new kit, pushing the Italian FA to be more like the English FA. They're been after the American market for years

Woodzy

This is going to get a whole lot messier isn’t it? Football about to change forever.

el3mel

No. I’m saying there’s about 10 teams in this league who have nothing to play for during the majority of it.
I'm talking about the 6 big clubs who participated in this competition and how they're going to treat the league from now on. For them the league will mostly be pointless. If you're out of title race early there's nothing to be bothered about when you're guaranteed a spot in this competition anyway. Love or hate top 4, it left the big clubs who can't win the league with something to look forward and fight for for the rest of the season. Why should any of these 6 clubs care about the league anymore few years later from this system ?

On the long run you'll see United and Chelsea playing each other with bench team in the league to save their strength for this competition as the league doesn't really matter for them if they're not winning it anyway. In fact it'll be better for them to focus on this competition and prioritize it from the start over the league anyway, due to it having more money.

JSArsenal

There's going to be legal issues with this. Players being banned from playing for their country because of decisions made by their clubs will cause all sorts of issues.
Yeah, I don't think FIFA can win that battle.

How can you ban a player from playing for his country over something his employer has done?
The players are, I imagine, legally obliged to play for their teams. They can't say, well we aren't playing for you anymore because of this ESL thing

The only way I can see this working is if the national FAs agree not to pick players from clubs who play in the ESL. Then it becomes much more difficult for the players to really do anything. Can a court dictate to the manager who he should pick? Now my mind is going to stuff like "constructive dismissal" and "legitimate expectation of being picked" but where do you draw the line?

If the FA bends and selects say Harry Kane for the WC and FIFA says that Kane can't play. That is some murky waters.

Neo_Mufc

Insulting another member
Well as we stand UEFA are suing the clubs banning them from domestic and European competitions and also banning them from international duty . It’s in their own interests to come to an agreement or they’re fecked with shit domestic and European leagues .

I’m not sitting on any high horse , you said you’re done I said bye . I’ll still follow Utd whatever happens. If that means a SL so be it.
Then you're an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Koldbeer2021

Supports
West Ham
Why? They just qualified for CL football!
West Ham 9 points clear in the lead should the big 6 get kicked out and their matches scrubbed from the records. Never thought we could win the league, even in a situation like this. Sure we will still manage to Keegan even that though!

Manny

Grammar Police
I was against it but actually, what should I care about as a consumer? Some random club like Burnley who might struggle or my own pocket?

Im torn the more I think of it, for the sake of argument, imagine Amazon get exclusive rights and all games are shown on prime. I’m immediately saving a shed load of money and so I’d say, as selfish as it is, I don’t care about Burnley I care about me not being fleeced by BT and Sky.
It won't be long before your Amazon games are moved to PPV

Moiraine

Everyone here needs to take a deep breath and think about it. If the clubs continue their domestic leagues and a ESL instead of Champions League (especially those meaningless boring group matches), it might not be as bad as it is perceived. A tier 2 competition for clubs that can’t make it to ESL...

RORY65

There was a thread on here the other week saying "how good are we in Europe compared to other sides?". Well now we're going to find out!
I had us between 11 and 16 (so lower midtable given Bayern and PSG aren't currently in) and I doubt the club will now have any motivation to improve on that with no risk of losing CL money for not being in the top 4. I honestly won't be watching anyway if this happens but you seem excited, I guess this will largely succeed or fail on if there are enough people like you and fans who don't like it in theory but will watch anyway.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Because what happens in terms of teams not in a title race. Lets say Arsenal are 10th after 19 games with no potential top 4 to keep them interested or without having to qualify for the money league. They just stop playing and focus on the ESL, the big 6 no longer have to quality for the money. They could get relegated to the championship and still play the top European competition next season.

Castia

It is but there’s no incentive in the league anymore when the top 6 are all guaranteed entry in the super league. We could finish 17th next season but who cares when we’re already qualified for Europe with £200m coming our way.