European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red00012

Kudos to Bayern Munich, Dortmund, and PSG for refusing to the invite (even if only just for now).
I read that that Bayern will be added , I’m not sure if refusing at 1st and then joining it after will go down well either !

forevrared

Absolutely ridiculous. Football is done if this happens.

FIFA are mugs but we need them to step in and make this something every decent player will balk at.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Apparently Bayern are in but want to let the shitshow pass before joining, Dortmund weren't invited, its Leipzig (purely on footballing history like our goodselves at City) and Porto.
Going by the reports earlier, the remaining spaces on the core 15 would be filled by two German clubs and a French club. Not sure how Porto would be involved when PSG are obviously more valuable to the super league.

reddevil702

Part of the incentive for clubs to focus on the league is placement that qualifies clubs for the Champions League. Being guaranteed a place in the contest removes that consideration. The focus will fall on the contest that awards the most money - The Super League
Isn’t that the case now with the Champions league? It’s the biggest, most prestigious European competition because of the money. If the super league doesn’t impact domestic competition, how will that be any different for clubs trying to qualify?

diarm

How big does everyone think Mino Raiola's erection is right now?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
These clubs AND 5 clubs will be invited (id imagine it would be the one best performing team in each league). So if say Leicester said yes then West Ham would play in the CL. The race for top 4 would mean nothing.

Like if you’re 5th with 6 games to go and you can’t win the league then there’s not really much to play for. You’d just rest all of your players for the SL games.
But arsenal are literally doing that now! Jose did it with us in his first season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Meh. Let's see what happens. I am not letting the press get me riled up. They are always short on the details and just into pushing their agenda.

Folks here should calm down until we know more.

stevoc

Could this be how United get shot of the Glazers? Start all over again
Well if the FA/PL and the government are serious with their opposition to this they should nationalize the clubs (all English clubs) and place them into fan trusts. They of course won't do that but that would be the ideal way to kill this idea and get rid of leech owners and Oil rich states in one go.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Will these clubs even do their 100% best domestically? Surely they'll focus more on the Super League.

This is an absolute disgrace.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It wouldn't feel so bad if there had been some form of consultation plus the fact that it's just a bunch of Americans taking over a global sport they have no real experience of or connection with. Trying it shape it like NBA or NFL is just offensive. It will be branded as the European Soccer League.

Chief123

I’ve not seen it mentioned anywhere but the most glaring problem I see with this new league if it does go ahead is the fact that the majority of games in the league will be dead rubbers.

If you have 15 teams in the league guaranteed to remain in the league then any team below the top 3 have literally nothing to play for. If you are not close to winning the super league then all your games are meaningless as you have no rewards or punishments based on how you perform.

At least the premier league has Title, champions league spots, Europa league spots, relegation spots. Etc. Majority of teams in the league have something to play for.

This new league threatens to be an utter shambles.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I've been wondering this. I've got a fair few questions I've not been able to really get any answer or at least discussion on.

This doesn't mean the CL and Europa stop, does it? The 'elite' wouldn't be in it and it may not be 'as' prestigious but could this not mean that different teams now make up those competitions?

Would a Southampton fan really hate the idea of a European night against Roma? Surely they would get increased TV and match day revenue. Maybe not to the extent the current CL clubs do but its still a European night isn't it?

There are Europa League teams who have never had a sniff at the CL but I'm sure it doesn't mean their fans haven't had some great trips and memories as part of that competition.

Could it potentially mean we have 3 European style competitions now and suddenly fans of a lot of clubs get the chance to start making European history of their own?
Theres a 3rd Euro comp starting, without United, Bayern, Juve and Madrid there'd be no money in it. Lets be honest 6 of the super league teams Real, Barca, United, Liverpool, Bayern (once they join), Juve are responsible for probably 80% of the global football fanbase. Without them the CL becomes the Europa League.

crossy1686

career ending
Well. If I was as rich as Pep and Klopp are, absolutely.

This isn't simply going to be a tournament. The guaranteed slot format means that motivation in domestic leagues goes out the window.
No you wouldn't, you won't destroy your career based on some loose information Sky pumped out this morning based on them losing the PL to something better. If you would, you're a moron, but you're obviously not.

As a player or manager, why wouldn't you be motivated to win the league anymore? Does that currently happen when we're in the CL? Why is there new focus all of a sudden?

HackeyC

Let's not get sentimental about the race for top 4 or relegation in the PL, there is only one prize that matters in that competition for us. Everything else is manufactured to hype interest.

Chairman Steve

Is it true PSG only said no because there was going to be an actual FFP in place to stop them spending like a spaz?

::sonny::

Joel Glazer, Co-Chairman of Manchester United and Vice-Chairman of the Super League said:

“By bringing together the world’s greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid.”

3KDré

Tried to opt out of my United Membership renewal through the website but can't.

What should I send in my email asking to be opted out? Keep in mind that the people answering the email won't be Ed Woodward or the Glazers.
'I'm sorry you work for such cnuts'.

Paul_Scholes18

So I'm a bit confused. Will this be instead of the Champions League? Premier league will be like it was but 6 teams will be playing midweek games in a super league instead of the Champions league?
I do not know. I guess international football will end for the super league teams and they play those dates too?

Dobba

Well if the FA/PL and the government are serious with their opposition to this they should nationalize the clubs (all English clubs) and place them into fan trusts. They of course won't do that but that would be the ideal way to kill this idea and get rid of leech owners and Oil rich states in one go.
The Tories nationalising multi-billion companies. :lol:

Might end up being the only nationalisation Starmer agrees with.

SwedishFish

Oh shut up Jeff. Fed by SkySports Americanized media that tried to do the same thing with the Premier League.

This has been on the cards for a long time due to UEFAs ineptitude.

Kidding themselves with this good guy vs bad guy narrative. It's a nest of greedy bastards. UEFA, FIFA, The Fa, The Big Clubs. All of them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Will these clubs even do their 100% best domestically? Surely they'll focus more on the Super League.

This is an absolute disgrace.
Why would they? All the money will be in the super League and they don't need to try in the premiership to get in it again the next year. All incentive is gone.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Going by the reports earlier, the remaining spaces on the core 15 would be filled by two German clubs and a French club. Not sure how Porto would be involved when PSG are obviously more valuable to the super league.
Was reading it from some journalist on twitter. PSG's chairman is one of the main guys at Uefa.

Fox outside the box

This is the impact though, it will destroy the competitiveness and value of league places in domestic leagues. Anybody supporting this clearly hasn't thought it through.
Will it?

Can people stop just saying this please? Just explain why. Not one person I've read or watched has really made an actual case for this.

All I see is emotional outburst. It's frankly embarrassing how little actual discussion is going on. So many people aren't even bothering debating it. It's really frustrating. It's like wading through a crowded room of grown adults having toddler style tantrums on the floor. Stop being such a bunch of wet wipes and talk about it properly ffs.

Gary Neville has really got a lot of you going. It's scary how easily everyone seems to be lapping up Sky and BT's outrage. I can guarantee you it isn't because they care about the fans.

I suspect I've thought it through a lot more than you so leave the atrwnots at patronising to the side. I'm not saying I'm on board with it but I've at least genuinely contemplated the reasons this could be both good and bad, I don't think for a second that you have.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So I'm a bit confused. Will this be instead of the Champions League? Premier league will be like it was but 6 teams will be playing midweek games in a super league instead of the Champions league?
Yes. Unless the PL kicks them out

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is 5 other clubs that are guests. The tweet that people are quoting doesn't say that Leipzig and Porto are founders, they could be 2 of the guests.

Edit: Lyon are most likely in it too because they announced the same format for women football.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If its the other way around how come there's only about 4 people on here who are for it? It's getting widely panned from the majority of football fans.
Echo chamber.

Again, you’re using the word ‘majority’ when talking about football fans. Even if there are millions (they won’t be) that’s a fecking drop in the ocean.