European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a relative term that is based on support on a global basis
And this Super League kills other teams' efforts for gaining a bigger global fanbase because all the prestige and money has been secured by 15 clubs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think it sums it up well at all. Americans don't have the concept of rich and poor teams because they operate onder a salary cap, every team is equal and has the same amount of money to spend. Franchises are valued differently but in essence no team is richer than another one in the same league.
Teams are richer than others but it's not comparable to football. What you describe only really applies to the NFL due to the hard cap and the fact that teams make a lot of money and owners rarely have to make actual business decisions that aren't led by the league itself. But if you take the MLB, NBA and NHL, there are definitely rich and poor teams, it's reflected in how certain teams do everything to lower their wage bills as much as possible and in the case of the NBA certain owners don't want to have anything to do with luxury taxes while others don't mind it too much. If you look at MLB budgets the gaps are pretty big for example the Dodgers have a 26 man roster worth 211m while the Tigers are at 47m.

AneRu

I haven't missed the point at all. Champions league and Europa League would still exist and the likes of Everton and Southampton would actually qualify for that, at least some what regularly.

Those clubs would actually get European games. You may look down on the quality but that's a seperate point.

Everton vs Dortmund
West Ham vs Roma
Southampton vs Ajax

You telling me the fans of those clubs would boycott that because they've don't qualify for a different competition? Would they not receive more TV money and gate revenue as a result? Even if its less than what the cl currently pays, it's still more than those clubs currently recieve, is it not?

They may not play in the super league, but they will actually be playing European competition, with far, far more regularity than they ever have a chance to currently.

When did Everton last play in Europe? How many European nights has Goodison seen in the last 20 years? What if Everton now play in the champions league for 3 out of the next 4 years?
The CL without 6 of the traitorous 12 will be hollow and won't be as lucrative as most of the sponsors will migrate to the ESL. So yeah they will play in Europe but it won't be as impactful as playing in this current version.

Eventually the domestic leagues will die too because clubs in the ESL will hoard all the talented players and they won't have as much incentive to go all out for the local league games when they have a date with Real Madrid in Beijing on Wednesday.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don't think it sums it up well at all. Americans don't have the concept of rich and poor teams because they operate onder a salary cap, every team is equal and has the same amount of money to spend. Franchises are valued differently but in essence no team is richer than another one in the same league.
Yeah. Let’s add the “Greedy Americans who have no concept of equality” to the crushing hypocrisy list. The ESL just takes everything the PL is to a higher level.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Maybe Watford would be a good club to follow, at least as long as Ben Foster keeps doing Youtube videos

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The Super League is not good news.
We should not join the rebel clubs.

Withnail

I never said they haven't done that and I don't agree with what they do, if you're going to quote me at least keep the thread on track
You can't even keep track of your own bullshit.

The Glazers have spent more money than ever in the last 8 years so that doesn't hold true at all. I don't care what Arsenal do either, good luck to them

they have also taken more money than ever out.

No they haven't?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sir Alex Ferguson’s thoughts:

Ixion

Yeah. Let’s add the “Greedy Americans who have no concept of equality” to the crushing hypocrisy list. The ESL just takes everything the PL is to a higher level.
I dont recall the PL having no relegation?

bsCallout

Should expel all associated clubs from all European competitions, and provide a bye to all opponents, with immediate effect.

feck everyone. Including United.

Also, even though it isn't domestic, there should be some severe repercussions there, too.
What does that help? Those clubs will then just go and create the league anyway.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Other competitions will still go ahead, or are you suggesting they're worthless without the 'big' teams?
Of course these competitions will significantly drop in value because these 15 clubs will never play in them. No Man Utd or Arsenal in the Europa League anymore. No Ajax - Spurs semifinals like in 2019. As a result the prize money will plummet.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah, this was all my idea lads, I'll take the blame for this one
Not the idea obviously.

But your idiotic rhetoric that is basically just trolling at this point as you stopped making any semblance of sense last night.

But no, the attitude you display, the arrogant ramblings of an entitled boy. The fact that you can't see anything past United and quire clearly don't give a feck about football on the whole.

And perhaps even more alarmingly, you quite clearly don't give a shit about the history of the club you claim to support.

I'd never noticed you around the forum before, I miss those days.

Withnail

I'll keep track of it for you. Glazers was implied as the club spending money, not Joel Glazer literally going into his wallet, pulling out the club card and handing it over to Woodward to do some shopping.
Ok so you're just a liar and a wum.

You disagreed with someone who said they'd taken out more than ever. Perhaps you misread or misinterpreted what they said. If you can't even admit you said something you didn't mean then there isn't any point.

Rather than de-rail the thread further I'll just put you on ignore.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Let's say the minimum you could make by finishing bottom of the SL is £350m, and lets say the maximum you could make is £1.5b for finishing first. What do you think the summers investment will be like?
Where did you pull those figures from? As reported yesterday the winners would get approx. 30m extra in terms of direct reward, with the bulk of the money gained being awarded just for competing in the group stages. As opposed to the CL, where the difference is 120m. In other words winning has directly been devalued and there's no consequence to finishing bottom.

How would that translate into winning the SL suddenly being worth an extra 1.15 billion?

justsomebloke

The correct analogy would be - can't understand why popular/important teams have to play no-marks.
No, not that either. NA sports are not dominated by big, rich teams (in the sense of relatively big and rich within the closed shop - say, the New York Rangers compared to the Winnipeg Jets). Their leagues are designed to make it almost impossible for anyone to dominate year after year, and big, popular clubs are often not very good. It's a highly regulated corporate franchise, geared to make all participants profitable. There aren't any "no marks" - every club has a realistic potential to win a title in the next decade.

But, there is an absolute division line between being in the cartel and not being in the cartel. If you're not, you're not. And if you are, you can be as bad as you like.

Leethal

What does that help? Those clubs will then just go and create the league anyway.
You can't imagine the players and staff would be too happy about being unceremoniously dumped out of the current most prestigious club cups, because the owners are greedy cnuts.

Ady87

If the players end up being prevented from participating in internationals does that mean we'll see a complete breakaway from "football" altogether?

These clubs won't play football anymore, they'll play soccerball or goalblitz. They'll have their own International Planet Cup, EuroContinental Trophy, Incontinent Trophy etc. Change the player names while they're at it to Krusty Rimaldo and Linoleum Messy. Like a real life version of those unlicensed football games in the early 00s but with shitter graphics.
ISS Pro 98 was and is the GOAT of all football games.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
American Salary Cap keeps getting brought up. It is not an end all cap on spending for players. If you exceed the cap, you pay a dollar for dollar fine to the league but keep your shiny new player. Wealthy clubs just factor in the cost of the fine as a part of acquiring a needed player. It really only punishes the less wealthy clubs who cannot afford the cap fine.

the rich still get richer.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
No, not that either. NA sports are not dominated by big, rich teams. Their leagues are designed to make it almost impossible for anyone to dominate year after year, and big, popular clubs are often not very good. It's a highly regulated corporate franchise, geared to make all participants profitable. There aren't any "no marks" - every club has a realistic potential to win a title in the next decade.

But, there is an absolute division line between being in the cartel and not being in the cartel. If you're not, you're not. And if you are, you can be as bad as you like.
Actually it is that. In this instance, the entirety of their big leagues - NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB are the popular/important teams. Then you have the plebs of the G-League, Minor leagues, NASL etc.

Who they never have to play.