European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

They are not freedom fighters. This notion that they should go against their employers publicly is just naive and stupid. No one here will do it. Not sure why it is expected of players and managers
Why is it so difficult for our players when others have?

We're not selling or cancelling anyone's contract because they speak out. They might get a bollocking but so fecking what.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Why is it so difficult for our players when others have?

We're not selling or cancelling anyone's contract because they speak out. They might get a bollocking but so fecking what.
They can choose not to. As I told they are not revolutionaries. This expectations is unrealistic and unfair.

Theo88

When your new ESL chair advocates for trickle down economics you know you fecked up and this whole thing isn't about saving football but about saving face.

We were eventually getting here. Uefa has introduced the ffp to ensure clubs adhere to some financial rules and even that became a mockery. There's just too much money in football and an excessive amount of idiots mismanaging this.

It's quite unfortunate; I don't mind a breakaway competition I think uefa has been a joke for 2 decades but the way this was set up is probably a joke. And the longer they try and defend it the worse it becomes.

Kudos to SKY. They loved a bit of oil money, Russian oligarch money and glaser money helped giving birth to this monstrosity and they're now advocating for the fans.

Football is dead. It was dead when we started handing out millions per week to a footballer. Its more about betting and the showmanship these days.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If you think so. However, I'm not going to disbelieve all of the journalists in the UK.
I’m not saying all of them are lying. You saw last night when Neville and Carragher were talking about everyone coming together to fight it and unity. None of the media want it and they all want to stop it so I wouldn’t immediately rush to believe what they come out with.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That process starred decades ago mate. I still support my team but I’ll never think of it as the same.
Not as drastic as this, mate. And it’s being wilfully ignorant to suggest this is even remotely similar to what’s happened in years past.

Sara125

This is my entire problem with the whole situation.

Perez talks about this concept as if it's saving the game? From who? Himself? For being completely unable to manage a club within it's means? For removing equality in his own league?

Then there's our lot, are we saving the game from owners who pile mass amounts of debt onto a club? Or those who run clubs as a second rate organisation, and cry poverty when the performances on the pitch aren't on the same level as they achieved under the greatest manager in football history? A manager who achieved his success in spite of these parasites.

I could do this for practically every club in this "league". But we can all see through it, we all know his has been set up to create a bottomless well of guaranteed cash. Cash to help circumvente the billions these clubs have pissed up the wall through their own incompetence.

Which begs the question, why in the feck are City in here? They are the only Club that is "sustainable" from this who's who of organisational incompetence. They should be the ones who break off, they have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose.
From City’s perspective I can only imagine, as someone pointed out, it’s a FOMO thing. Possibly also to gain exposure, of course they are much bigger since the takeover but no doubt there are plenty of people in the world (my mum being one of them up until I had to educate her :lol:) who still have only heard of one team from Manchester

cyberman

He didn’t mean that, he was just chatting to a mate wasn’t he @cyberman ? Obviously nothing will change and football is going to be bigger and more exciting than ever!!
Yep. Doubt Perez has the power to change the rules of world football to be honest. 12 are struggling to get the job done as we stand.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
And now they're called Las Vegas Raiders. Keep this shameless Americanization and all their name/stadium shenanigans out of football.
If we moved our stadium and no longer based ourself in Manchester, are we still going to call ourself Man Utd, or just something like Red Devil’s United?

It’s like playing PES without licensing patch.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It would be worse if the Glazers and FSG hung onto this crusade while the rest of the lot chicken out and this ends with us and Liverpool getting points docked in the league.

pratyush_utd

I remember reading Bayern were involved in this tournament discussion. Struggling to find the article. After seeing what they wrote about ESL, I think they will join as a founding member in not too distant future. It wasn't as dismissive as others have done in their press release

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I want it to happen and fail, we can carry on in the EPL without the big 6. It would have some financial issues likely but eventually things would work out better.

Then the big 6 come back after ESL fails, tail in between their legs realising they need the other 14, and stop been idiots with all the silly ideas, 39th game, overseas games, uneven money share, veto votes etc. Let them back in with 30 point deductions for 4 seasons and 4 year European ban

red4ever 79

the more you read and listen to all the views the more I come to this conclusion;

If the shithouse 6 do go ahead with their plans to form a superleague, they will not remain part of the EPL.

stevoc

Serie A Assembly: "With this much extra money we can't possibly compete with Inter, Milan and Juventus", to which Agnelli replied with: "I see no change, we've been winning for 80 years".
Fecking hell :lol:

What a twat, sadly he's not entirely wrong though.

Nogbadthebad

Yep. Doubt Perez has the power to change the rules of world football to be honest. 12 are struggling to get the job done as we stand.
He doesn't have to change the rules of world football. That is the entire point of this.

It is outside the rules of world football, completely independent, and they can do whatever they want in it.

Traub

The “who will risk €12bn in a multi year broadcast deal” question has Amazon written all over it.
Yip.

I'm sure the broadcast deal will include TV shows like the Spurs documentary. The real kicker is this is an all round year 'series', meaning people will likely pay subscriptions continuously instead of a few months here and there.

red4ever 79

If we moved our stadium and no longer based ourself in Manchester, are we still going to call ourself Man Utd, or just something like Red Devil’s United?

It’s like playing PES without licensing patch.
Red Devil Raiders sponsored by Wallmart and brought to you by Budweiser

Devil may care

They are not freedom fighters. This notion that they should go against their employers publicly is just naive and stupid. No one here will do it. Not sure why it is expected of players and managers
It's different asking someone who works to put foodon the table to stand up and asking people with millions in the bank to do it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's a bit weird that there's so much emphasis on money , even in the media. The biggest point against the Super League is the exclusiveness and guaranteed qualification aspect of it, which removes merit out of the equation for the future. They're essentially forming their own cute little club of "big boys".

Classical Mechanic

Takes some doing to come out of this as the biggest cnut but Agnelli is putting in great work on that front.
He's right though. The Champions League has been a key driver of massive inequality in the European domestic leagues. The ESL is just following the path that UEFA laid out to its logical end.

pratyush_utd

the more you read and listen to all the views the more I come to this conclusion;

If the shithouse 6 do go ahead with their plans to form a superleague, they will not remain part of the EPL.
They are choosing to withdraw themselves from Europe. No way they will move from EPL. There is no compulsion to play CL if you play in EPL. So there are no grounds to remove them. Even UEFA can't do anything.

Fanta Stick

Hard to say, it would obviously worth less, but never 10%. The rights are currently around £1.5bn per year... you'd probably be looking at half I think, as the EPL brand alone would still be a thing and a big deal.

Looking locally...

Sky pay £200m per year for Prem rights.

They pay roughly £120m per year for Championship rights.

So it certainly won't be 10% locally at least.
It says in this article Sky pay nearly £1.2b per season for PL rights

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-channel-changes

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thus why I said started.
So let’s just let it roll now then? It’s started. Someone didn’t speak up ten years ago? feck them it’s already started.
It’s never too late to speak out and wanting everything to crumble to just watch it like some soap opera or because no one spoke out before is pretty childish imo.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Chelsea and City

Sky will try anything to destabilise this, BBC have said otherwise and I know who I'm trusting. If the clubs existed they'd name them to sow discord. Sky are essentially trying to take down the Super League with wishful thinking.

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol:

The amount of arrogance is staggering
It is arrogance, but it is also the truth. The only thing that changes is the illusion that these other teams can compete (long term).

In the words of George Orwell, ‘all teams are equal, but some are more equal than others’. Agnelli is just translating what that means, that teams are not equal and telling the others to feck off.