European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually made this exact point yesterday to someone who claimed it was a positive to have less cold Wednesday nights at Stoke. You don't want it every week but its all part of it. The glamorous games, the exciting ones, the shit ones, the cold freezing ones.
I feel like the majority of people who don’t care about the matches against your Stoke’s or your Burnley’s are likely people who have never actually been to a football match.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think we should get out of this project. The only reason to push it this far could be to get a better deal out of UEFA for the CL. Since the new CL format is awful, just a different kind of awful to the super league.

I'm all for a merit based entry "super league" to replace the CL. Hopefully this forces UEFA in to that.

Also hopefully Mr A will come out and say what is what soon.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Good on Chelsea. Seen Liverpool fans doing protests too.

Surely Utd fans have to get involved?
It's been easier for teams with home games to mobilise at short notice. I'd imagine by the weekend these protests at grounds will increase hugely.

ti vu

"It is not a sport where the relation between effort and success does not exist"

"It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed and it doesn't matter when you lose"

'It's not fair when one team fight, fight, fight for the top and still cannot be qualified because it is just for a few teams."

"The right people - the owners - have the obligation, the duty, to clarify as soon as possible, clarify all around the world why these teams should play and the others not. Ajax - with four Champions Leagues - why they are not there?"

"For all of us managers, it is uncomfortable. Presidents can talk more clear what is the idea for the future and where football is going to go. I would love the president go all around the world and say what is the reason they took this decision."

"I support this club and I am part of the club but also I have my own opinion."

You're not going to find a stronger, or more real and off the cuff, condemnation than that from any player or manager who's part of the 'competition'
"I have no longer the advantage of having the best squad in the competition."

Nah. He said the right thing there. Kudo.

RooneyLegend

Absolutely, I would prefer the 50+1 model they have in Germany vs the current set up, but I still have questions around the feasibility of that in our league too.

This whole episode has hopefully shattered the illusion of idealism within football for a lot of fans, who maybe were still under the impression that football wasn't motivated by money.
You prefer a model where one team easily reels of 10 titles in row?

TrustInOle

Go on Chelsea fans! We need every fan base from the 6 doing the same thing!

Saturday shall be United's day lads! Make our voices heard!

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
"It is not a sport where the relation between effort and success does not exist"

"It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed and it doesn't matter when you lose"

'It's not fair when one team fight, fight, fight for the top and still cannot be qualified because it is just for a few teams."

"The right people - the owners - have the obligation, the duty, to clarify as soon as possible, clarify all around the world why these teams should play and the others not. Ajax - with four Champions Leagues - why they are not there?"

"For all of us managers, it is uncomfortable. Presidents can talk more clear what is the idea for the future and where football is going to go. I would love the president go all around the world and say what is the reason they took this decision."

You're not going to find a stronger, or more real and off the cuff, condemnation than that from any player or manager who's part of the 'competition'
Massive respect to Pep. What about the other managers? Are they muppets?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You prefer a model where one team easily reels of 10 titles in row?
No, talking strictly about ownership. I'm pretty sure I said in a later post that Bayern dominate their league, and there are other questions to consider when giving fans ownership, if I didn't - then I meant to.

Offsideagain

I predict that there will be some clubs that will bow to public pressure and withdraw from the ESL. I predict that Man City will be the first to withdraw and claim the moral high ground in typical fashion. They don’t need the money from the ESL, only the others that have suffered with Covid and the greed of the owners especially the Glazers. I also suspect they, the Glazers, were preparing to sell the club after a couple of seasons in the ESL when it would be a better financial proposition with no debt thanks to JP Morgan. Come Saturday, things will have changed. The Six have totally underestimated the reaction of fans and media. If I am wrong and it goes ahead, I reckon it will be on its arse after two seasons. I will cancel my SKY subscription and never by another MUFC product.

Withnail

Fair fecks. I was not expecting that. Does this mean City are pulling out or he's so secure in his job he can say what he wants?

Godfather

"I have no longer the advantage of having the best squad in the competition."

Nah. He said the right thing there. Kudo.
You have a point though. City are probably the club that care the least about all of this. They are financially in another league to everyone else.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Go on Chelsea fans! We need every fan base from the 6 doing the same thing!

Saturday shall be United's day lads! Make our voices heard!
This. Forget all our rivalry right now.
Each time one of our clubs is playing we should be protesting making our message clear.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I would highly doubt they would be sending reserve teams out, they dont do that in the champions league so why would they start in its replacement? The Super League would not be happy with that, as it would have an affect on the money coming in, so that would simply not happen. The goals for the players would be the same as they are when participating in the champions league, to win the competition. Teams and players are not suddenly going to not care or not want to win the league just because they are in a new european competition. The league will be just as important as ever. Teams that are not founder teams will want a piece of the pie if this does go ahead, so will do all they can on the field to qualify. People seem to skip past the fact that there are open spots for teams to qualify and participate in this competition.

Personally, I think if this does go ahead, we will see some rework to the openness of the competition to appease fans.
So if they are playing in the ESL and have lost the first 5 or 6 games and have no chance of qualfying do you think they will risk the best players in the team if they have been performing well in the domestic league? Whats to stop them putting out reserve players? There is no incentive to perform in this league if you cant qualify for the next round if you have a bad start to the competition. No problem because youre qualified for it next season already. Same as the league whats the incentive if your underperforming in the league, no point in pushing to finish as high as possible as again youre already in the top competition, therefore the league isnt that important to the 6 founder clubs.

Plastic fans want this competition rather than real fans, owners are the same. They want rid of the real fans and want new ones in each week so they can spend more money in the club shop on merhcandise.

Strange that this new ESL is similar to the new format that the Champs league is adopting with the exception of the exclusivity and the money.

cyberman

City more likely.

United and Liverpool have been at the forefront of the whole thing
Its been Madrid, Barca etc according to wider reports who were jealous of EPL money.
I think we are all dicks but lets not assume English sides are the overall big baddy just yet

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Each time one of our clubs is playing we should be protesting making our message clear.
Yeah, this needs to become a lot bigger. Every team needs to join forces.

TrustInOle

Exactly! What would a rivalry even mean if this goes ahead?
Spurs and City are the first of the 6 to play eachother, are they not? I hope to see a stand and I hope United Vs Liverpool can unite and send the clearest message when we play! Enough is enough with these greedy, sh1t house owners!

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly! What would a rivalry even mean if this goes ahead?
Spurs and City are the first of the 6 to play eachother, are they not? I hope to see a stand and I hope United Vs Liverpool can unite and send the clearest message when we play! Enough is enough with these greedy, sh1t house owners!
We play city again soon but we also got arsenal at the bridge I hope the arsenal fans if near join in too. Together we need to make a stand.

cyberman

Problem with that headline is that they assume Chelsea and Man City want to get out. Perez interview happened before those rumours by their paid PR journalist started. So this we want to but we can't narrative is bullshit. They planned this for years and just after one day they want out. Not buying that
Its ridculous spin and people are buying it. When it goes tits up theyll slink away in the darkness with all guns pointed at Utd and Liverpool