European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevoc

The FIFA has never needed any legal ground to do what they want. The fact that their headquarters are in Switzerland should be a clue on that matter. The CONMEBOL building in Paraguay even has diplomatic immunity(!).

This could be news for some fans in Europe but usually if a local court intervenes in the way FIFA manages its competition, FIFA simply mandates a temporal ban on the local federation until they have "corrected" the issue (it has happened in South America and Africa before). This would mean all of Spain's NT and clubs are out of WC, ELN, Euro, youth tournaments, UCL and UEL until the judgment is appealed, ceased or revoked.
Like that time FIFA tried to introduce a 6+5 foreigner rule and the EU told them to get fecked.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That doesn't affect UK clubs though I guess. I don't think it would happen but would be great for these 6 clubs to be threatened with PL explusion.
It would impact UEFA from implementing the CL bans (and presumably we can still play in the EL)

And impact the Italian and spanish Legaues from making any bans

I think your right that it would not automatically apply in England but I think it also gives an indication that if the premier league did try to implement a ban they could expect a legal fight and probably one these clubs have spent several months preparing for

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
People are deluding themselves if they think this won’t be an absolutely massive success if it happens.

It shouldn’t be happening but in 20 years everyone will be in love with this format. Just the way it’s going to be.
In love with what? Playing Madrid and Barcelona twice a year every bloody year. Playing Liverpool 4 times a year every bloody year. Massive success in China and USA maybe but not for us.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
“Gentlemen, you made a huge mistake. Some will say it is greed, others (will say) disdain arrogance, flippancy or complete ignorance of England’s football culture. It does not matter. What does matter is that there is still time to change your mind. Everyone makes mistakes. Come to your senses...”

-Aleksander Ceferin; source: AP via Detroit Free Press

UnofficialDevil

Is it true Chelsea and City are talking about backing out of the SL?
Chelsea 'told' they can't leave European Super League by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez

Chelsea and Manchester City are believed to be the most skeptical about the new competition, but as per Perez who spoke in an interview on Monday, he says they can't make a U-turn now.

"The contract of the Super League is binding. Nobody can leave, we will work all together. All the clubs signed the contracts last Saturday, there's no problem."

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
In love with what? Playing Madrid and Barcelona twice a year every bloody year. Playing Liverpool 4 times a year every bloody year. Massive success in China and USA maybe but not for us.
Boring is a lazy excuse tbh. No one gets boring watching football every year especially between big clubs. There are far more valid reasons for not to move ahead.

Enigma_87

You know who
it's an arms race: if other clubs manage to increase their income by 300m per season and you don't, you are left behind and won't be able to compete in the future. If all your rivals in europe jump on it you have too

there's also the prestige about participating and winning a new competition with many top teams. It may die soon and be forgotten or it could become the next champions league for the next 50 years

and club owners wanting a no risk, all reward competition that generates them money every season without the risk of being relegated. Most of those club owners bought the clubs to pocket money
Without English sides there’s no ESL. They won’t be left behind for the simple reason that ESL can’t come up with the numbers. They are just bunch of greedy cnuts that don’t care about anyone else than their pockets.

bond19821982

Chelsea 'told' they can't leave European Super League by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez

Chelsea and Manchester City are believed to be the most skeptical about the new competition, but as per Perez who spoke in an interview on Monday, he says they can't make a U-turn now.

"The contract of the Super League is binding. Nobody can leave, we will work all together. All the clubs signed the contracts last Saturday, there's no problem."
What a mess

The Purley King

It would impact UEFA from implementing the CL bans (and presumably we can still play in the EL)

And impact the Italian and spanish Legaues from making any bans

I think your right that it would not automatically apply in England but I think it also gives an indication that if the premier league did try to implement a ban they could expect a legal fight and probably one these clubs have spent several months preparing for
Does sound like it'll be effective in preventing anything bad from happening to Spanish and Italian clubs, but if the 6 English clubs get shafted that could have a big effect and maybe a couple of them start to waver.

Ixion

Boring is a lazy excuse tbh. No one gets boring watching football every year especially between big clubs. There are far more valid reasons for not to move ahead.
Can't wait for twice the number of 0-0s with Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. Thrilling games.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Absolutely, I would prefer the 50+1 model they have in Germany vs the current set up, but I still have questions around the feasibility of that in our league too.

This whole episode has hopefully shattered the illusion of idealism within football for a lot of fans, who maybe were still under the impression that football wasn't motivated by money.
Yeah I like the idea of the 50 and 1, but like you also have concerns about practicality within our set up. Even the version lite Swansea employ has been able to be circumnavigated in the past during takeover talks.

Fully agree with your last paragraph sadly.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Here's what Purslow, who has held similar roles at Liverpool and Chelsea, said:

"The board made it quite clear they are contemplating the most severe of sanctions against these six clubs because they have behaved in a way that self evidently damages the league as a whole and their 14 fellow shareholders - all I can see is that there was quite unanimous sadness, anger and disgust at the events of the last few days against every single one of these clubs."

He added that the clubs could "in theory" be expelled, but "no one wants to perform an act of self harm".

"What we need to find is a way to enable these two tournaments to thrive and they won’t be better off without those clubs," said Purslow

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Problem is there are billions of fans in America and Asia that will support this monstrosity.
I think you do disservice to the genuine overseas fans - the ones who actually spend money on the merchandise and even go to games.

The problem with the data and algorithms presumably informing the Glazers on how to proceed probably comes from social media interactions, clicks and likes.

These sort of figures are utterly meaningless - unless they lead to huge levels of data info - as these are hardly the sort of fans who will actually engage with wider activities around the club.

They're playing a dangerous game by being lured into focusing on the more flippant/passing fans. They're easy-come, easy-go. The core (domestically or internationally) are your bread and butter, and you cannot alienate them or the whole thing is put at risk.

Revan

Assumptionman
Like that time FIFA tried to introduce a 6+5 foreigner rule and the EU told them to get fecked.
Or the case of the most important player in the history of football, that changed the football more than Pele, Maradona et al. The one and only one Jean-Marc Bosman.

A-man

You know this may seem far fetched but what is to stop the Glazers from moving the super league games to mega stadiums in America? Who could stop them?
100% the matches will be played in all continents, especially in Asia and the US. Then a few alibi games at home to not lose the brand names of Old Trafford, Camp Nou, etc.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The only upside in all this would be it would boycot Qatar 2022 in a rather roundabout way. Nobody would go or watch it and Germany would walk it. A pyrrhic victory, mind. Fat chance FIFA, UEFA or any FA can really go through with all these threats though, the contracts they already have in place would mean they spend the next few years in court losing truckloads of money.

Not in the least bit interested in the infinite boredom of a SuperLeague with no relegation, no plucky underdogs and no giant-killings. But then, European domestic league clubs would turn into feeder clubs, much like what we've seen in South America as the $$$ gap between both continents widened. Teams now get put together for a semester and get depleted of any quality after each transfer window. Managers get no continuity as they have an impossible job constructing any sort of core, style of play or build up any momentum. It's shite, I haven't been to a domestic league game here since the late 90s. The last league winners changed manager three times over the course of one season, imagine the quality of that "product".

Also, banning players from FIFA competitions would rip the soul off both international football and the SuperLeague. The latter would be stacked with players forcibly turned into mercenaries the moment they were confronted with the choice of club (with 3-4x the non-SL wages) or country.

It's complete dogshit but inevitable the moment we all played along with franchise this, franchise that. Fecking greedy wankers the lot of them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Does sound like it'll be effective in preventing anything bad from happening to Spanish and Italian clubs, but if the 6 English clubs get shafted that could have a big effect and maybe a couple of them start to waver.
possibly but I imagine the clubs feel on pretty solid legal ground to even start the fight (and our competition law is simply the EU competition law copy and pasted into UK Law so logically the results are likley to be the same)

The European Commission has previously ruled that the International Skating Union cannot prevent speed skaters from participating in new money-spinning events. That decision was supported in a judgement in Europe's second highest court, the General Court in Luxembourg, in December.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...case-brought-UEFA-FIFA-says-legal-expert.html

bond19821982

I think you do disservice to the genuine overseas fans - the ones who actually spend money on the merchandise and even go to games.

The problem with the data and algorithms presumably informing the Glazers on how to proceed probably comes from social media interactions, clicks and likes.

These sort of figures are utterly meaningless - unless they lead to huge levels of data info - as these are hardly the sort of fans who will actually engage with wider activities around the club.

They're playing a dangerous game by being lured into focusing on the more flippant/passing fans. They're easy-come, easy-go. The core (domestically or internationally) are your bread and butter, and you cannot alienate them or the whole thing is put at risk.
Do you really think clubs havent done their due diligence before getting involved? Seriously? This didn't start on Sunday. They have been contemplating for years.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah I like the idea of the 50 and 1, but like you also have concerns about practicality within our set up. Even the version lite Swansea employ has been able to be circumnavigated in the past during takeover talks.

Fully agree with your last paragraph sadly.
Yeah i'd want to see how it would impact stuff like transfers and decisions on stuff like stadium changes, sponsors etc and even in Germany it hasn't stopped there being a dominant monopoly where 1 team regularly wins and a few others finish at the top.

OverratedOpinion

I am pretty sure that any contract based on intent is essentially not worth the paper it is printed on.

RedRover

I think that is absolutely correct. They risk alienating a hardcore of actual football fans (possible millions, worldwide) to target consumers who "consume" in a totally different way - via social media, e-sports etc. They are competing for those fans against a whole host of other media.

Interval

Level

Nope. Their algorithms are right. WE are a minority. Younger "fans" don't care. Today's 6yr olds and 12 yr olds will love it and buy Messi shirts and Pogba shirts and even Half and half scarfs.

The world's changed a lot. And with changing media diets, fans that you think are the biggest assets are not the highest revenue generators anymore.

UnofficialDevil

The European Super League was created "to save football", says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

Perez said the move had been made because young people are "no longer interested in football" because of "a lot of poor quality games".

"Whenever there is change, there are always people who oppose it," he said.

Scum of the earth, the worst of the worst.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Suspect the club thinking of pulling out is Liverpool. But they all should tbh. Although admittedly, i think the ESL is inevitable. Just a case of when