European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

0le

Sir Batt Musby - deary me that was dreadful from the sky sports presenter

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It will only take one team to back down from this and the whole thing is done. Hopefully soon.

stevoc

You do still have to have qualified for a European competition to be eligible for Wild Card entry though, so there is still at least some (though not much) merit involved.
No it's not exactly the same, but they were already working on ways to allow teams into the CL who hadn't qualified through their league position. So it's not a stretch to think they will go further than that again to appease these teams and squash the Super League idea.

OverratedOpinion

It will only take one team to back down from this and the whole thing is done. Hopefully soon.
Do you really think so? I honestly think that only Us, Liverpool, Barcelona and Madrid (obviously won't happen) would have an impact. The others are much smaller than Bayern and they are moving forward without them.

Jack-C20

Sir Batt Musby - deary me that was dreadful from the sky sports presenter
I’d understand if it was him muddling his words up but he said both with such conviction. Made me laugh anyway :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Do you really think so? I honestly think that only Us, Liverpool, Barcelona and Madrid (obviously won't happen) would have an impact. The others are much smaller than Bayern and they are moving forward without them.
tend to agree - if spurs walk out people will just point out that they probably didnt deserve to be abywhere close to the league (at least based on recent trophies)

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You basically have no idea what you are talking about or do you actually believe that UEFA has legal ground to expel these clubs from this year's CL?

Oh and btw, I am firmly against this Sl nonsense.
This was purely an observation from where I stand.

Real Madrid are known to be a government-backed club. The press seems to be on their side a lot more than in the UK.

Ans finally why was Florentino so confident there won't be bans? Of course they're well prepped but his arrogance was telling.

And if you want further reading, read up how a Spanish judge ordered the destruction of blood samples in one of the biggest doping scandals involving football and tennis players.

fergies coat

Not only is it a stupid idea, but the man in charge of the league is the president of Real Madrid. Can you imagine a team getting beat by them by a dubious decision? How can that league ever be impartial?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I wonder if the Italian clubs would be so eager to join if this happened in the 90s.
Like feck they would. Say what you want about rich owners, at least the Italian clubs were owned by Italians who wouldn't be so eager to feck over their own institutions for money.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
They probably have factored this in, I'm saying that it detracts from the spectacle if the stadium is half empty or full of daytrippers who don't really care too much about winning or losing.
Agree that if players stand firm then this will die. Lets hope that is the case.
Yeah, for sure, football is nothing without the proper fans involved. Agreed, lets hope so.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Financially speaking, i can understand why this deal look like an absolute win for the Spanish and Italian clubs who are participating, they are set for a long time.
Why are clubs like United, City and Liverpool so desperate to throw away everything for this though?

Sure, its a lot of money for the PL clubs too, but the league already brings in tons of money, i dont get it.

galcianuk

I find it hilarious that the government are pushing through all these emergency hearings. Labour writing a letter and getting everyone to sign. Boris publically stating he will never, ever let this go ahead etc. But then, things like Grenfall Tower happen and no one does anything. Where was all the emergency legislation then? This is all about the government being worried about the economy. Money talks etc.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Financially speaking, i can understand why this deal look like an absolute win for the Spanish and Italian clubs who are participating, they are set for a long time.
Why are clubs like United, City and Liverpool so desperate to throw away everything for this though?

Sure, its a lot of money for the PL clubs too, but the league already brings in tons of money, i dont get it.
They can’t handle the risk/uncertainty of CL qualification.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The players and managers are employees, the fans are consumers - they're not entitled to know everything.
This is a structural problem with many football clubs and leagues.

Swansea supporters own over 20% of the club. Thus getting a seat at the table. It’s a shame it’s not more common in English football.

Not saying you’re wrong, you’re absolutely right. Just saying it shouldn’t be like that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah. I think City could pull out of it, then we could possibly see Chelsea go. The whole thing is so parochial as it is, take even more teams out of it and it becomes even more of a joke than it already currently is. They call it the European Super Leage, yet it only contains teams from 3 nations, 6 of those teams from ONE nation (obvously England) and 3 of those are from London. The whole thing is so haphazrad and shoddily put together that if one of these so-called elite teams drop out, i just can't see how it goes ahead. It will almost expose it even more.

I think the whole thing will collapse. That's the hope, anyway.

Steamboat Willy

If ESL becomes a fact, and they can’t be kicked out of the domestic leagues, then every other domestic team should plat their 16 year olds against all ESL teams when playing in the league... and vote for changing the prizemoney, and celebrate nummer 7 as champions...

DoomSlayer

So what a Spanish court says is applicable throughout all of Europe?
What happens if UEFA just ban them anyway?
Unfortunately, it will go down to who has the better political lobby. And overall, that probably is the likes of Perez, the Glazers and the rest. We live in a fecked up world so all of this is no surprise, even though I always tried to keep a glimmer of hope for the sport and our beloved club.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Aside from a risible interview with Perez in Spain, it has largely been radio silence from the SL clubs. All a bit bizarre - you'd expect some massive press launch with requisite fanfare and endorsements from legends of the game and mega-sponsors. But nothing. Even the players/managers at the clubs involved don't have a clue what's happening.

Meanwhile there's meetings going on at UEFA, at the FA and at the Premier League with statements of condemnation and endless gnashing of teeth in the media - all of it going unanswered.

Amazing how badly it has been managed.
All part of the plan. Release the hand grenade and stand well clear until the dust settles

SmallCaine

He wouldn't answer it at all? Even the leaks have said its binding. It just seems like wishful thinking. Why bother having a contract in the first place if City can just say no? It would need to be water tight with the shitstorm they knew this would bring
It can't be water tight though, water tight is for things that can be predicted. No one can realistically predict what happens in future in this case, government action, PL enforcing the L9 rule, eufa successfully kicking players off the national teams. There will be an out, for JP Morgan and for clubs. This whole endeavor is like skydiving, no one's jumping without making sure they have a parachute on them.

Leonzo1

Because our owners don't care about anything other than increasing revenue. Our football club is a business for them and as long as the business is successful they don't give a flying fe*k about anything else.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
You basically have no idea what you are talking about or do you actually believe that UEFA has legal ground to expel these clubs from this year's CL?

Oh and btw, I am firmly against this Sl nonsense.
The FIFA has never needed any legal ground to do what they want. The fact that their headquarters are in Switzerland should be a clue on that matter. The CONMEBOL building in Paraguay even has diplomatic immunity(!).

This could be news for some fans in Europe but usually if a local court intervenes in the way FIFA manages its competition, FIFA simply mandates a temporal ban on the local federation until they have "corrected" the issue (it has happened in South America and Africa before). This would mean all of Spain's NT and clubs are out of WC, ELN, Euro, youth tournaments, UCL and UEL until the judgment is appealed, ceased or revoked.

90 + 5min

A naive question I'm sure but what does it matter to UEFA what a Spanish court has decided?
Well, lot and on other hand nothing.

The most important in this, apart from fans, The FA and so on is Boris Johnson and government. With Brexit they have full power to decide about sport and rules in the UK. If they put a stop to this there is only one way for those 6 owners. Relocate clubs from country or sell clubs. Whole or partly. UNless they come begging for our forgivness wich would never happen.

red4ever 79

This was purely an observation from where I stand.

Real Madrid are known to be a government-backed club. The press seems to be on their side a lot more than in the UK.

Ans finally why was Florentino so confident there won't be bans? Of course they're well prepped but his arrogance was telling.

And if you want further reading, read up how a Spanish judge ordered the destruction of blood samples in one of the biggest doping scandals involving football and tennis players.
Corruption in Spain Perez involved. Shock

red4ever 79

Not only is it a stupid idea, but the man in charge of the league is the president of Real Madrid. Can you imagine a team getting beat by them by a dubious decision? How can that league ever be impartial?
Will be like championship manager when u lose a game and you keeping replaying it until you get the result that suits you

louvega

it's an arms race: if other clubs manage to increase their income by 300m per season and you don't, you are left behind and won't be able to compete in the future. If all your rivals in europe jump on it you have too

there's also the prestige about participating and winning a new competition with many top teams. It may die soon and be forgotten or it could become the next champions league for the next 50 years

and club owners wanting a no risk, all reward competition that generates them money every season without the risk of being relegated. Most of those club owners bought the clubs to pocket money

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This is a structural problem with many football clubs and leagues.

Swansea supporters own over 20% of the club. Thus getting a seat at the table. It’s a shame it’s not more common in English football.

Not saying you’re wrong, you’re absolutely right. Just saying it shouldn’t be like that.
Absolutely, I would prefer the 50+1 model they have in Germany vs the current set up, but I still have questions around the feasibility of that in our league too.

This whole episode has hopefully shattered the illusion of idealism within football for a lot of fans, who maybe were still under the impression that football wasn't motivated by money.

The Purley King

yes - the injunction is valid in all the EU till the case is heard under EU competition laws
That doesn't affect UK clubs though I guess. I don't think it would happen but would be great for these 6 clubs to be threatened with PL explusion.