European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chelsea 'told' they can't leave European Super League by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez

Chelsea and Manchester City are believed to be the most skeptical about the new competition, but as per Perez who spoke in an interview on Monday, he says they can't make a U-turn now.

"The contract of the Super League is binding. Nobody can leave, we will work all together. All the clubs signed the contracts last Saturday, there's no problem."

What a mess

It would impact UEFA from implementing the CL bans (and presumably we can still play in the EL)

And impact the Italian and spanish Legaues from making any bans

I think your right that it would not automatically apply in England but I think it also gives an indication that if the premier league did try to implement a ban they could expect a legal fight and probably one these clubs have spent several months preparing for

Does sound like it'll be effective in preventing anything bad from happening to Spanish and Italian clubs, but if the 6 English clubs get shafted that could have a big effect and maybe a couple of them start to waver.

Boring is a lazy excuse tbh. No one gets boring watching football every year especially between big clubs. There are far more valid reasons for not to move ahead.
Can't wait for twice the number of 0-0s with Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. Thrilling games.

Absolutely, I would prefer the 50+1 model they have in Germany vs the current set up, but I still have questions around the feasibility of that in our league too.

This whole episode has hopefully shattered the illusion of idealism within football for a lot of fans, who maybe were still under the impression that football wasn't motivated by money.

Yeah I like the idea of the 50 and 1, but like you also have concerns about practicality within our set up. Even the version lite Swansea employ has been able to be circumnavigated in the past during takeover talks.

Fully agree with your last paragraph sadly.

Here's what Purslow, who has held similar roles at Liverpool and Chelsea, said:

"The board made it quite clear they are contemplating the most severe of sanctions against these six clubs because they have behaved in a way that self evidently damages the league as a whole and their 14 fellow shareholders - all I can see is that there was quite unanimous sadness, anger and disgust at the events of the last few days against every single one of these clubs."

He added that the clubs could "in theory" be expelled, but "no one wants to perform an act of self harm".

"What we need to find is a way to enable these two tournaments to thrive and they won’t be better off without those clubs," said Purslow

Problem is there are billions of fans in America and Asia that will support this monstrosity.

I think you do disservice to the genuine overseas fans - the ones who actually spend money on the merchandise and even go to games.

The problem with the data and algorithms presumably informing the Glazers on how to proceed probably comes from social media interactions, clicks and likes.

These sort of figures are utterly meaningless - unless they lead to huge levels of data info - as these are hardly the sort of fans who will actually engage with wider activities around the club.

They're playing a dangerous game by being lured into focusing on the more flippant/passing fans. They're easy-come, easy-go. The core (domestically or internationally) are your bread and butter, and you cannot alienate them or the whole thing is put at risk.

Like that time FIFA tried to introduce a 6+5 foreigner rule and the EU told them to get fecked.
Or the case of the most important player in the history of football, that changed the football more than Pele, Maradona et al. The one and only one Jean-Marc Bosman.

You know this may seem far fetched but what is to stop the Glazers from moving the super league games to mega stadiums in America? Who could stop them?
100% the matches will be played in all continents, especially in Asia and the US. Then a few alibi games at home to not lose the brand names of Old Trafford, Camp Nou, etc.

The only upside in all this would be it would boycot Qatar 2022 in a rather roundabout way. Nobody would go or watch it and Germany would walk it. A pyrrhic victory, mind. Fat chance FIFA, UEFA or any FA can really go through with all these threats though, the contracts they already have in place would mean they spend the next few years in court losing truckloads of money.

Not in the least bit interested in the infinite boredom of a SuperLeague with no relegation, no plucky underdogs and no giant-killings. But then, European domestic league clubs would turn into feeder clubs, much like what we've seen in South America as the $$$ gap between both continents widened. Teams now get put together for a semester and get depleted of any quality after each transfer window. Managers get no continuity as they have an impossible job constructing any sort of core, style of play or build up any momentum. It's shite, I haven't been to a domestic league game here since the late 90s. The last league winners changed manager three times over the course of one season, imagine the quality of that "product".

Also, banning players from FIFA competitions would rip the soul off both international football and the SuperLeague. The latter would be stacked with players forcibly turned into mercenaries the moment they were confronted with the choice of club (with 3-4x the non-SL wages) or country.

It's complete dogshit but inevitable the moment we all played along with franchise this, franchise that. Fecking greedy wankers the lot of them.

Does sound like it'll be effective in preventing anything bad from happening to Spanish and Italian clubs, but if the 6 English clubs get shafted that could have a big effect and maybe a couple of them start to waver.
possibly but I imagine the clubs feel on pretty solid legal ground to even start the fight (and our competition law is simply the EU competition law copy and pasted into UK Law so logically the results are likley to be the same)

The European Commission has previously ruled that the International Skating Union cannot prevent speed skaters from participating in new money-spinning events. That decision was supported in a judgement in Europe's second highest court, the General Court in Luxembourg, in December.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...case-brought-UEFA-FIFA-says-legal-expert.html

I think you do disservice to the genuine overseas fans - the ones who actually spend money on the merchandise and even go to games.

The problem with the data and algorithms presumably informing the Glazers on how to proceed probably comes from social media interactions, clicks and likes.

These sort of figures are utterly meaningless - unless they lead to huge levels of data info - as these are hardly the sort of fans who will actually engage with wider activities around the club.

They're playing a dangerous game by being lured into focusing on the more flippant/passing fans. They're easy-come, easy-go. The core (domestically or internationally) are your bread and butter, and you cannot alienate them or the whole thing is put at risk.

Do you really think clubs havent done their due diligence before getting involved? Seriously? This didn't start on Sunday. They have been contemplating for years.

Yeah I like the idea of the 50 and 1, but like you also have concerns about practicality within our set up. Even the version lite Swansea employ has been able to be circumnavigated in the past during takeover talks.

Fully agree with your last paragraph sadly.

Yeah i'd want to see how it would impact stuff like transfers and decisions on stuff like stadium changes, sponsors etc and even in Germany it hasn't stopped there being a dominant monopoly where 1 team regularly wins and a few others finish at the top.

Chelsea 'told' they can't leave European Super League by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez

Chelsea and Manchester City are believed to be the most skeptical about the new competition, but as per Perez who spoke in an interview on Monday, he says they can't make a U-turn now.

"The contract of the Super League is binding. Nobody can leave, we will work all together. All the clubs signed the contracts last Saturday, there's no problem."

I am pretty sure that any contract based on intent is essentially not worth the paper it is printed on.

I think that is absolutely correct. They risk alienating a hardcore of actual football fans (possible millions, worldwide) to target consumers who "consume" in a totally different way - via social media, e-sports etc. They are competing for those fans against a whole host of other media.

Nope. Their algorithms are right. WE are a minority. Younger "fans" don't care. Today's 6yr olds and 12 yr olds will love it and buy Messi shirts and Pogba shirts and even Half and half scarfs.

The world's changed a lot. And with changing media diets, fans that you think are the biggest assets are not the highest revenue generators anymore.

The European Super League was created "to save football", says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

Perez said the move had been made because young people are "no longer interested in football" because of "a lot of poor quality games".

"Whenever there is change, there are always people who oppose it," he said.

Scum of the earth, the worst of the worst.

Suspect the club thinking of pulling out is Liverpool. But they all should tbh. Although admittedly, i think the ESL is inevitable. Just a case of when

Financially speaking, i can understand why this deal look like an absolute win for the Spanish and Italian clubs who are participating, they are set for a long time.
Why are clubs like United, City and Liverpool so desperate to throw away everything for this though?

Sure, its a lot of money for the PL clubs too, but the league already brings in tons of money, i dont get it.

Because now the likes of Arsenal and United don't need big investments every time they fall out of the top 4. That sweet ESL money is there for them every year for the next 23 years. I'd be shocked if it was reinvested back into the club. They don't give a shit how the team does.

Wrong group to bring this up in, I suppose, but what does everyone make of the CL viewership numbers in Gen Z, which lag far behind other age groups. I know this is an excuse, but there is some truth to the fact that no one cares or watches Bayern v Olympiakos in the CL.

Totally against a US-style league with permanent members. There are so many shite teams in those leagues with awful owners.
Doesnt this have a lot to do with the decision to remove it from the free to air list in the uk, making it difficult and expensive to access. Im iny mid 30s and only a few of my friends still watch the cl due to that reason

It seems like it is a result of uefa etc chasing more lucrative contracts in the short term which ultinately damages interest in their competition in the long term. Can imagine the cl being a continuotatin of that

Problem with that headline is that they assume Chelsea and Man City want to get out. Perez interview happened before those rumours by their paid PR journalist started. So this we want to but we can't narrative is bullshit. They planned this for years and just after one day they want out. Not buying that

Suspect the club thinking of pulling out is Liverpool. But they all should tbh. Although admittedly, i think the ESL is inevitable. Just a case of when

City more likely.

United and Liverpool have been at the forefront of the whole thing