European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mainoldo

Without the lure of Champions League football revenue, and replacing that with a guaranteed income would be a) great for the Glazers and b) shit for the quality /investment in our side
Quality of investment? The league would surely be for the elite! They can’t all play for Madrid and Barca.

Get In Scholesy

My take while I wait for the statement. This entire thing has been overwhelming sensationalized due to the various economic interests involved.

Mind you it is a terrible idea from the football perspective.

Regardless, we will see what happens, I don’t know how entertaining it is to play Madrid and Barcelona regularly in a season.

Fully expect the clubs to retract the statement.

Also, this might fly if it was a yearly pre season competition. Basically equivalent to those shit cups in the summer.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This is a time united and Liverpool fans should stick together.

Beat this crapness into oblivion.

Classical Mechanic

Anyone remember what the reaction was when the Premier League was first rumoured? The strength of Sky's reaction based on pretty little actual detail suggests they are concerned about it, but I'm guessing there must've been similar feelings back in 1992?
Their whole product is under threat. Of course they’re bricking it.

R'hllor

What the feck is wrong with a people, all this about Sky/Neville having their own interest in this, so fecking what, what that have to do with your own angle of view about this joke.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
They can go feck themselves, seriously. Imagine some league based on the shitty NBA/NFL models with no promotion/relegations, 7-game playoffs, loads of adverts etc. Wouldn't be long before the clubs became franchises and started playing home games in Kuwait.
Yep, that’ll be exactly what happens. Playing games all over the world to the highest bidders.

Someone

Something
Problem with the outrage from UEFA and the premier league is that no one cares about the fans anymore, greed has taken control of football a long long time ago. Look how much it costs to just watch on TV. They're just scared about losing money.

If a new super league is formed tomorrow, Sky will jump at the chance to have the rights, and the same pundits will happily cover it.

This is a terrible idea for many reasons, but none of the outrage is about the fans, nobody really cares.

spiriticon

If we can't win any more Premier Leagues or Champion's Leagues, football will be a bit boring with just a European Super League no?

The same 36 matches a season, every season and that's it.

You need some sort of sporting risk and reward to make competitions interesting.

SirScholes

Surely it won't happen when they see the reaction. We just collectively wouldn't watch it and go to whoever your 'second team' is. I blame the Americans too, probably come from the Glazers and Liverpool's lot. The pricks.
This for me
I couldn’t support the club anymore if it went down this route and would just follow football as a fan of the game

Woodzy

I can see this super league for 1 month during the summer, friendlies with more money
That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but no way teams would be able to fit that amount of games in one month. There's 12 clubs signed up and schedules are already bad enough without at least 11 more competitive games in the off season.

Red_toad

Better get the Saudis to not buy the toon and buy us instead. I can see the likes of City and PSG owners going ‘investment’ overdrive and dominating.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Anyone remember what the reaction was when the Premier League was first rumoured? The strength of Sky's reaction based on pretty little actual detail suggests they are concerned about it, but I'm guessing there must've been similar feelings back in 1992?
The reaction was the same, money will ruin football etc, run by greed

Mindhunter

I have lurked on these boards for a number of years but your post compelled me to register and respond.

Clearly you have never set foot in Old Trafford if you think this a good idea.

This is nothing but greed from a scumbag owners and it is time for a renewed green and gold campaign to rid these c*nts from our football club.
The old, you aren’t a match going supporter so you know shit argument . Why don’t you outline how this is going to be bad for us instead of climbing on a high horse?

MUFC are a club physically located in England but they have fans all over the world. You may not like it but it’s true. All the riches in the PL are due to its global appeal.

Also why you registered to this forum doesn’t matter. You need to share your opinion on the matter at hand.

Josep Dowling

A max wage budget and especially max season transfer spend could easily be implemented right now and not at all affect the rest of the game as a whole. Don't you agree? Lets say that teams can only spend 100m a season. Thats doable isn't it, if you care about fairness? Some teams could afford the whole 100m, others couldn't but it creates a more level playing field.
Big clubs will always find a way. Look at how Bayern ensure players run down their contracts before poaching the best players from the rest of the league. The system should have been corrected years ago but the pure greed of the Premier League has led to further greed later down the line. Fifa, UEFA and the Premier League only care because they won’t be part of the financial pie anymore. And part of me actually thinks that isn’t a bad thing.

I’m going to wait to see the details. If it’s just 12 teams from 3 countries, that is going to get very boring.

The biggest thing is if fans don’t want it then it shouldn’t happen. These clubs are worth far more than money to communities and their fans. Neville was right that these clubs need to be protected. But again the Premier League should have thought about that before they allowed the foreign owners to buy all the clubs.

Drainy

Don't really have an opinion with what little we know.

I'm quite confident that if it does happen, regardless of how much we don't like it, we'll all watch it though.
Yeah exactly, and I feel the same way.

Philosophically speaking, UEFA's reaction has certainly been strong but also its a bit bizarre that they think clubs should be obligated to compete in their competition just because they qualified for it.

Playing devil's advocate, should it not be their right to decline the invite and compete in games they set up themselves? Is it not anti-competitive to use their position of power to blackmail clubs and players and monopolise the game?

stevoc

As soon as Big English clubs started getting bought by foreign billionaires 15-20 years ago a breakaway like this was inevitable, the likes of City getting financially doped probably hastened it.

The PL and the FA only have themselves to blame if this does go ahead, they should have brought in laws/rules to ensure English clubs remained mostly English owned. Instead of becoming playthings or cash cows for billionaires with no connection to the clubs or the English game.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
What the feck is wrong with a people, all this about Sky/Neville having their own interest in this, so fecking what, what that have to do with your own angle of view about this joke.
Are you drunk?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But my problem is with the PL and UEFA talking about fairness in their statements? So how is it fair to have a 'European CL' when some nations are regarded as more deserving of spots than others? How is it fair that City can have oil owners but not Newcastle? My problem is that these entities are crying about 'fairness' when their actions have only shown that they don't give a shit about it. My biggest hope is that this Super League doesn't happen but it spurns UEFA and the rest into real change. I'm really only criticising the 'response' from the various authorities about this and laughing about how they have had chances to affect fairness but have done jack shit and are now crying at those going against them.
I see. Mate it's the UEFA and the PL(you can add all the other top leagues), the fairness that they are talking about concerns their wallets, they gave more spots to certain nations because for years the clubs from these nations threatened to leave and create their league which meant that the UEFA and the leagues would lose money.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
As a Real Madrid fan I am embarrassed with the role Perez played in this. I do feel like CL needs some changes and I quite like the proposed new format by UEFA, but his....I'm lost for words, it's like this people live in a world completely detached from regular fans.

dinostar77

Hope all 11 clubs involved get banned from european football and all their players banned from euros and world cup. Disgusting leeches and parasites.

Roboc7

Just another competition we won’t be able to win. Imagine Arsenal in a Super League, it’s laughable.

R'hllor

Hope none of sides back off a bit and let dust to settle, this should be either all goes to hell or break their spine.

Superunknown

Hope all 11 clubs involved get banned from european football and all their players banned from euros and world cup. Disgusting leeches and parasites.
Imagine missing out on a World Cup/European Championship because your shithead chief exec had this horrible idea. You'd be fuming.

I wonder what the players are thinking.

Mindhunter

You're looking at it from the point of view of fecking over the oil clubs, and it might do to some extent, but that was not the intention of this league from the Glazers, FSG and the rest of the vile American financiers involved in this.

In a nutshell this is about taking the game of football away from Europe, where the market is stagnant, and selling it to the rest of the world, where the market is growing. And the casualties will be football in England, football in Spain, and football in Italy. All the other clubs in all of the domestic leagues will suffer. It'll kill the game of football in Europe.
Again, I respect your ideology. You are concerned about the quality of European football but frankly I am not. I want the best outcome for United.

What you are saying is already happening with the oil clubs at the forefront gobbling up all the new fans in emerging markets. This will expedite the process sure but will preserve the old clubs.

crossy1686

career ending
feck it, why not? Why is it a bad idea? Are we all excited about the prospect of playing Burnley again next season? What about Norwich? These shit teams only want to be in the league so they can have a free hit at trying to beat us home and away, while we suffer the game under duress.

I'm way more excited about the prospect of playing Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Inter, Juventus etc every weekend than watching another fecking shit 0-0 between Newcastle and Brighton.

Also, we've been shit for years, no one likes us apparently, we're worthless to the PL. Now it looks like we might be leaving for bigger and better things there's a meltdown.

RORY65

Quality of investment? The league would surely be for the elite! They can’t all play for Madrid and Barca.
The main reason they invest now is to make sure they get the revenue for being in the Champions League, if they're in the Super League no matter what then what incentive is there for the likes of the Glazer's and Kroenke to aim to be competitive in this new competition?

lysglimt

Scout
Will never happen - the result will be UEFA / FIFA banning players from participating in the Euros and World Cups