European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

Henry’s apology is obviously bullshit but at least he could sit there and try his luck with Liverpool supporters. The Glazers couldn’t even pretend to be sorry or read that script with a straight face.
Yeah it's obviously bollocks but meant or not it's still an attempt to build a bridge with the fans etc. I doubt we'll get similar from the Glazers.

The Purley King

This is what makes me feel like it's a been 1 big trick.

Offer us a worse case scenario and in the background rush through a new set of just rules just as bad.

Now we all feel happy and will accept whatever comes. It doesn't sound much different than the ESL honestly.
The big issue with this new CL proposal is the parachuting in of clubs based on their coefficient. Its not quite as bad as ESL, but its still wrong in my opinion. Essentially insulates the biggest clubs from a couple of years of poor performance affecting them too much.

TheLiverBird

ESL isnt dead. Talksport just said italian and spainish clubs pressing ahead with some changes.
It won’t work with out the English 6

pure and simple

It will not go ahead, they needed the 6 teams from the lost influential league in the World, they no longer have them

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
ESL isnt dead. Talksport just said italian and spainish clubs pressing ahead with some changes.
Good luck getting the financing they need to make it viable without any of the English, German or French clubs on board.

It's as dead as a very dead thing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What should amaze people (but really doesn't amaze me) is that we keep getting told these owners are hugely successful businessmen and would have talked to high-powered lawyers to take on any trouble caused by the PL, UEFA and FIFA

Turns out they seemingly took very little good advice and must have expected all fans to think this was a wonderful idea. Quite how they reached that conclusion tells me they pretty much don't know what they are doing and are - like lots of bosses - arrogant w@ankers who think they can buy what they like when they like and treat others with total disregard. How could they think fans would love this nonsense?

Great businessmen? well our share price has fallen by more than 6% - so they've also lost money. Not too brilliant, if you ask me. But of course the good news is we are going to be rid of Woodentop...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It won’t work with out the English 6

pure and simple

It will not go ahead, they needed the 6 teams from the lost influential league in the World, they no longer have them
It can go ahead for all I care. Was dull with us in it and even more so now. Strange that we've heard so little about reactions in Spain and Italy

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Some changes :lol:

Yeah, about 75% of the clubs have left, and those still standing are facing financial ruin regardless.

At least the league would be an interesting weekend.

Mike Smalling

Genuinely curious to see what they come up with. It would never work without any English or German clubs, and whatever new concept they come up with will be rejected automatically.

Part of me hope they push forward with it and that Real Madrid completely implodes financially.

dinostar77

Yeah, about 75% of the clubs have left, and those still standing are facing financial ruin regardless.

Dont misunderstand me, i think its dead but perez is hanging on. Interesting to see what they do. Smart call by perez would be to get into bed with fifa and morph the ESL into the World Super League and have clubs from MLS, Argentina, Brasil, Mexico etc.

Member 101269

I'm from India and another poster from here mentioned in one of the earlier threads. there are some of us who stay up till 3AM to watch United play Bristol in the carabao cup. And then there are others who only stay up when there's a Ronaldo vs Messi or a hyped up UCL game or the later stages of the UCL because there are big names involved.
I guess you can sell the idea of the ESL to the latter group.I would say the target audience is not small but I doubt it's sustainable. Too many big games like this regularly would have made this competition a glorified pre season tournament and everyone would have lost interest.
This is where I believe there was a lack of clarity in narratives. It was my understanding that ESL replaced the existing European competitions. and the format wasn't necessarily the same teams in the ESL leagues each year. If is was I would have expected that element to evolve over time and further discussions. As for the Carabao; it's usual for season ticket holders to opt in or out of the Carabao and the same being true on TV, and the same being true for the CL etc. It'd be interesting to see stats on Carabao attendance over CL etc. I tend to opt out of Carabao in favour of CL etc, in part because paying for 2 season tickets and all comps is too much financial commitment. To me, I cannot see how it's not sustainable, more so than the carabao, particularly when I've been to carabao and the stadium didn't seem as full as CL etc. The experience of those European nights is better, there is just more theatre.

I voted yes, if i had the chance again, i'd vote yes again. I've read many comments about how us vote yes should be treated, it's my view. To change back would be hypocritical of me. That isn't a WUM, the experience of those CL etc nights are better..

TheReligion

Abusive
Speaking to the fans, I guess. Would've been even worse if he said "my club" :lol:

At least we got an apology but this feels like damage control and too little too late from him. He fecked up, knew all of this beforehand and didn't even think to consult with the people at the club, Klopp, the players and most importantly the fans before he took that horrendous decision.
I think it should be "our club' is what he's getting at.

He kind of distances himself in that regard.

Abizzz

I think it should be "our club' is what he's getting at.

He kind of distances himself in that regard.
That statement was worded more carefully than anything the Trump administration ever released. They probably felt "our" would imply our as in FSG.

(I buy none of it but at least he seems to know where his profits come from).

Lastwolf

Henry’s apology is obviously bullshit but at least he could sit there and try his luck with Liverpool supporters. The Glazers couldn’t even pretend to be sorry or read that script with a straight face.
It's reeks of PR company spin, theres more than a few stock phrases sprinkled in there but whatelse are they gonna do, it's either spill the dirt and throw everyone under the bus or say nothing. I'd actually have more respect for the Glazers if they went full scooby doo villian.

dinostar77

Agnelli the ESL will 100% go ahead and the english clubs will have to pay fines for withdrawing (talksport)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only thing that I like is that he’s apologised to klopp and the players. Not under any illusions they care beyond that and making money. They brought us success but they’ve messed up at every turn repeatedly and I very much doubt their commitment going forward in terms of investment.
I think the three American owned clubs will see very little investment going forward.

sparx99

So $5+ billion for United and she's all yours? There are probably only a handful of individuals who could afford to buy United then. Those worth over $100+ Billion.
Otherwise its some institution.
Well 50% of the cost anyway. The fans would only need 50.1%.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Agnelli the ESL will 100% go ahead and the english clubs will have to pay fines for withdrawing (talksport)
In what world can a league go ahead if it only has, what? 3 teams left in it. It'll just be Madrid, Barca and Juve standing by the end of the day.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

and if Talksport told me April was the month after March, I'd check my calendar!

sparx99

This is where I believe there was a lack of clarity in narratives. It was my understanding that ESL replaced the existing European competitions. and the format wasn't necessarily the same teams in the ESL leagues each year. If is was I would have expected that element to evolve over time and further discussions. As for the Carabao; it's usual for season ticket holders to opt in or out of the Carabao and the same being true on TV, and the same being true for the CL etc. It'd be interesting to see stats on Carabao attendance over CL etc. I tend to opt out of Carabao in favour of CL etc, in part because paying for 2 season tickets and all comps is too much financial commitment. To me, I cannot see how it's not sustainable, more so than the carabao, particularly when I've been to carabao and the stadium didn't seem as full as CL etc. The experience of those European nights is better, there is just more theatre.

I voted yes, if i had the chance again, i'd vote yes again. I've read many comments about how us vote yes should be treated, it's my view. To change back would be hypocritical of me. That isn't a WUM, the experience of those CL etc nights are better..
I don’t personally have an issue with the idea of a SL. It’s the guaranteed qualification which is the main gripe for me. Had they said the same qualifying criteria apply as CL the who cares about a revamped format. That’s basically what UEFA just approved anyway.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
UEFA have got most of the other recent changes right that everyone from the UK and Ireland panned when they were announced. The expanded Euros was a real winner, suddenly making the prospect of qualifying for the finals a possibility for a far greater range of countries. The Nations League was a winner, providing further competitive internationals and some nee silverware.

I’m interested to see how this new version of the CL feels. Football tends to be very conservative with its tournament formats. I’m sure the Proper Footballing Men will lampoon it, but it has the potential to provide something for people to get their teeth stuck into. Swiss systems always tend to provide interesting matches throughout and an exciting finish by their very nature.
It sounds like an absolute car crash of a system to me. Makes watching the CL considerably less appealing.

sparx99

The big issue with this new CL proposal is the parachuting in of clubs based on their coefficient. Its not quite as bad as ESL, but its still wrong in my opinion. Essentially insulates the biggest clubs from a couple of years of poor performance affecting them too much.
Yeah, I don’t love that but at least it’s based on performance in the european competitions. Essentially a reward for performing well and a safeguard against a blip.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
So, what's the current status? Real, Barca, Atletico, and Juve waving the ESL flag while shouting 'this is what football is supposed to be' and 'give TV deal billions please (no really, we're freaking bankrupt)'?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It sounds like an absolute car crash of a system to me. Makes watching the CL considerably less appealing.
All we've heard for years is there are too many games and players face burn out - then geniuses come up with a new Champions League which seems to include everyone from United and City to Salford and Altrincham playing each other 25 times then the top 20 played each other in play offs seven or eight times before getting to a knockout stage.

Seriously, how many extra games is it? 20? What a mess

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't believe Pogba didn't score a single goal or get a single assist in the whole tournament. #PogOut
On a positive note, Phil Jones went through the entire tournament without making a single mistake...

Oranges038

Well that was short lived.

No doubt it will be back again in some guise or other at some point in the future.

JohnnyKills

This is what makes me feel like it's a been 1 big trick.

Offer us a worse case scenario and in the background rush through a new set of just rules just as bad.

Now we all feel happy and will accept whatever comes. It doesn't sound much different than the ESL honestly.
True. At least there's some vestige of competition, though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Well 50% of the cost anyway. The fans would only need 50.1%.
I just don't see how they could make a law to ensure that it would be fan majority-owned. Its a pipe dream. The legal ramifications would drag this idea on to the next generation of fans.

Drz

Well that was short lived.

No doubt it will be back again in some guise or other at some point in the future.
They were reporting in France that UEFA made a proposal for an African Super League with a similar concept, don't know if it was closed too...

The Purley King

There should be no safeguards against a blip. If you don’t want the consequences of a blip, don’t blip.
Agree 100%. Don't remove the uncertainty of everything. Its geniuinely exciting to see who will finish top4 this season. Thank feck we are pretty much safe, but the next 6 games are huge for 5 or 6 other clubs. If Liverpool knew they'd get in anyway because they won it a couple of years ago we are getting back into the realms of "are they really going to try that hard" - which was the whole problem with ESL in the first place.

dove

There is obviously a lot of BS in there but at least this guy has some balls to do it. Meanwhile what we got from our guys is a bland 2 sentence corporate crap and knowing that Joel is a vice president of ESL, it's disgraceful.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
In some ways, this may have been a ploy by Perez and co to reign in the premier league. Woody fell for it. Failed.
yeah, he just tried to save his club from debt and sold the story well to other clubs. Some people couldn´t say no to money.

shaky

In this era of angry mobs, I honestly don't understand how they could plan this entire multi-billion pound endeavour without remotely planning for the occurence of an angry mob of football fans ready to bring this thing down. Us football fans have been doing angry mobs long before social media made them popular again.