European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedStarUnited

Hilarious given most people I know absolutely love taking their local league 2 team to champions league winners on FIFA & Football Manager
With FIFA, the people you know are in the minority. Try play a match online and see what teams people use. 9/10 times it's going to be one of the 'Super League' teams.

I just realised, the term 'Super League' might actually stick.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I can't help but feel this is just the beginning. Perez and co were testing the waters with this proposal, gauging reactions. They wanted to see what would pass as acceptable and what would not. And now they know.

They'll return with a new doctored proposal before we know it. It'll be a little more "fan-friendly" next time around, that's for sure, but the main goal - a league designed for the football elite to lord over the rest, comprised entirely of the rich and powerful - will remain unchanged.

As long as the Glazers, Perez, Roman, John Henry, Shiek Monsour and the rest of the twelve sit on the top of the football pyramid, the threat will remain. Kick them out asap and give the clubs back to the fans. 50+1 all the way.

Brightonian

I can't help but feel this is just the beginning. Perez and co were testing the waters with this proposal, gauging reactions. They wanted to see what would pass as acceptable and what would not. And now they know.

They'll return with a new doctored proposal before we know it. It'll be a little more "fan-friendly" next time around, that's for sure, but the main goal - a league designed for the football elite to lord over the rest, comprised entirely of the rich and powerful - will remain unchanged.

As long as the Glazers, Perez, Roman, John Henry, Shiek Monsour and the rest of the twelve sit on the top of the football pyramid, the threat will remain. Kick them out asap and give the clubs back to the fans. 50+1 all the way.
I disagree, tentatively. I think my cynicism tends more towards the 'everyone is incompetent' than 'everyone is a conspirator' angle. Yes, they will still not be happy with the status quo and at some point may attempt to break away again. But not for a little while. They have genuinely underestimated the extent of the backlash and a good number of them will be seriously gun-shy for a while now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I disagree, tentatively. I think my cynicism tends more towards the 'everyone is incompetent' than 'everyone is a conspirator' angle. Yes, they will still not be happy with the status quo and at some point may attempt to break away again. But not for a little while. They have genuinely underestimated the extent of the backlash and a good number of them will be seriously gun-shy for a while now.
I couldn't agree more, there is no way they could have predicted such an overwhelmingly negative reaction. The PM involving himself and threatening legislative action should they not disolve the idea must have shook them to their core - I was shocked when I heard what the government had planned. But still, they will return with a new proposal unless we, the fans, take control. It can be done.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Firstly to conspire is for two or more people to speak behind the backs of others and that's exactly what's happened. We're talking about money men who only care about their ego. I want to keep my posts simple now I understand many struggle with this (not referring to you) but this was an attempted coup and what I really want to say is never speak on other peoples behalf. Many get away with these types of things because people try to defend them . We cannot relate to these types of people and they do not want to relate to us because they have all the money. People always think they can speak for others but these people are not stupid. They already called you a legacy supporter. They knew they would lose fans. Maybe they didn't know how many....but they didn't care for the ones they would lose. And that should be enough for anyone to not have sympathy for these types of characters who only ever look to impose their will onto others.

Last edited:

Gasolin

I couldn't agree more, there is no way they could have predicted such an overwhelmingly negative reaction. The PM involving himself and threatening legislative action should they not disolve the idea must have shook them to their core - I was shocked when I heard what the government had planned. But still, they will return with a new proposal unless we, the fans, take control. It can be done.
And needs to be done. It was great to see the FA mention, thanks to governmental backing, new legislation to refuse work permit for foreign players, and other legal accessories.
I hope we change the ownership model quickly to give the fans more voice, it does not need to be a 50+1 model, it needs to be A model that can give the fans a veto on every single strategic decision of the FC.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

You'd have to imagine other clubs / The PL / UEFA will start to put some form of action/legislation in place to prevent this from every happening again.

Dudu

Atleti and Inter officially out too. Statements released.

dal

From 2024 the two teams with the highest uefa coefficient will be invited to play which basically means 2 English teams who don’t make it, so basically the top 6 always get in most probably as the better teams from the other three leagues are basically shoe ins.

I actually think this is fair because being one of the better teams in the champions league should count for something.

So basically I hope liverpool
Finish fifth this year :lol:.

dinostar77

Madrid and juventus will be the last. Perez and Agnelli will wait for Barcelona and AC to drop out then say nothing of it. No apologies or anything

Still hope UEFA kick Madrid out of CL.

Oldyella

Atleti and Inter officially out too. Statements released.

Are AC and Juve in financial trouble? I get why the Spanish clubs are clinging on for dear life, as they are in a mess.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Are AC and Juve in financial trouble? I get why the Spanish clubs are clinging on for dear life, as they are in a mess.
Juventus is bleeding money. We were fairly aggressive with costs to stay competitive in Europe (although that did not work out too well) as our league is holding us back financially. There was little margin for error. With Covid-19 significantly affecting revenue, the club is not sustainable anymore.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Does anyone know if Athletic suggests Ed was sacked because of ESL failure or if his departure was really and truly on the cards anyway?

Seems odd that he'd strongarm these sorts of changes and then leave as designed.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Does anyone know if Athletic suggests Ed was sacked because of ESL failure or if his departure was really and truly on the cards anyway?

Seems odd that he'd strongarm these sorts of changes and then leave as designed.
The official line is that Ed Woodward planned to step down as Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman at the end of this year and the announcement was only brought forward to stop the likelihood of leaks.

Steffa Barnesa

One aspect I haven't heard mentioned much is the fact that fans are supposed to be happy travelling to just a few places every year, basically ignoring 45-odd countries in Europe. Instead of going to Naples and Rome, Moscow, Kviy, Rotterdam, Istanbul and Athens and so many others, you're expected to go to the same few cities every year for about twenty years. And fans, passionate fans from those afformentioned cities and others, can forget about travelling to the Nou Camp or Anfield for a big European night.

It was of course a kick in the teeth to other English clubs, and threatened their dreams and the pyramid, but it did that too continent-wide. Maybe the biggest clubs and even some of the fans have become jaded with the early stages of the CL, but the answer is a better product for everyone - not a closed shop that widens the gap. It could so easily happen, but big clubs would have to take loss, and we'd have to lose so many qualifying spots for the biggest leagues. Long-term it would have a positive effect on European football, and this is the chance, but who can see it happening?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Madrid and juventus will be the last. Perez and Agnelli will wait for Barcelona and AC to drop out then say nothing of it. No apologies or anything

Still hope UEFA kick Madrid out of CL.
So City PSG or Chelsea can win it, what a wonderful idea :rolleyes: