European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
What was the Super League going to do attract kids that just want to play fortnite? Write into the contracts of every player that they must do a dance from the game when they score?
Probably, or mandatory fortnite dance goal celebrations or getting the stars on the platforms these kids watch to appear. That alone isn’t an answer, the game has to maintain integrity but for all this we now do have to consider how we can bridge the gap and what concessions can be made. The ESL is dead, but the thought process isn’t.

Something like allowing teams to directly stream games to their audiences for a set price could be great and a good way of getting kids on board. Likewise having percentages of stadiums with capped ticket prices for under 18s. Now, your kid will be playing on their PS4 and games like war zone and fortnite or apps like TikTok they’re all free entertainment. Football as a business costs too much. I say this as someone who doesn’t mind sky’s coverage as much as most. At the minute it looks like the best hope we have is Amazon wading in and putting it all together, but how long till they the raise the prices.

JohnnyKills

No. They see it as evidence that the current CL and their domestic league's aren't worth the effort anymore. Unfortunately for them it's why the English teams couldn't risk upsetting their domestic stakeholders. I do agree with some of their arguments. UEFA need to sit down with these clubs and renegotiate the distribution.
Good take that mate.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Agnelli:

The Super League simulates what young people do on digital platforms in competition with Call of Duty, FIFA or Fortnite.
This - bizarrely - seems to have been a big factor for these people. They actually thought that most football fans would be alright with their shite concept because...young people, something something.

They have completely misread the demographic - on top of everything else.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I wonder if Neville and Linekar will give this the same energy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Harsh that we’re the example :lol:

But that’s really bad! I don’t like that at all.
Same would go for us aswell, we would almost certainly qualify if it's based on club coefficient but I wouldn't want that either.

It's basically super league esque shit in disguise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This - bizarrely - seems to have been a big factor for these people. They actually thought that most football fans would be alright with their shite concept because...young people, something something.

They have completely misread the demographic - on top of everything else.
It also ignores what was the key sticking point for most people.

If you think kids want a super league that's like a FIFA game, fine. But nothing about that obliges you to make 15 specific clubs immune from relegation based on how rich they currently are, or ensure the guest clubs who get invited along from time to time receive much less financial benefit than anyone else.

It wasn't just that people thought an ESL was a bad idea, they also thought this version of an ESL was particularly terrible. And Agnelli can't blame that on the kids.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Same would go for us aswell, we would almost certainly qualify if it's based on club coefficient but I wouldn't want that either.

Completely agree. If you miss out then you should not be in it, simple as that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Harsh that we’re the example :lol:

But that’s really bad! I don’t like that at all.

I have mixed feelings about this. They aren't taking away places from the top 4 but then giving clubs outside top 4 a chance to play in the ucl who have historically done well in the competition? If there are extra slots for England then what is the problem?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
that's an apology? what a mealy-mouthed, utter load of drivel. The club not only needs new owners and new execs but jeez didn't eh PR people open their mouths and say; "err, this isn't going to do much to calm down the angry fans"?

Or maybe they got Prti Patel to write it for them. It amounts to: "we are very sorry if anyone (stupid) feels we upset them a little bit by what we still think is a truly wonderful idea".

Rank stupidity followed by rank arrogance

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It also ignores what was the key sticking point for most people.

If you think kids want a super league that's like a FIFA game, fine. But nothing about that obliges you to make 15 specific clubs immune from relegation based on how rich they currently are, or ensure the guest clubs who get invited along from time to time receive much less financial benefit than anyone else.

It wasn't just that people thought an ESL was a bad idea, they also thought this version of an ESL was particularly terrible. And Agnelli can't blame that on the kids.
this was a nonsense from the start: they went on about saying that kids didn't want to watch 90 minutes of a match - then added loads of games to be played (so does the new crap CL). when was the last time one of these rich arrogant so-called geniuses listened to a kid anyway?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can someone tell me what is wrong with American Sports in their eyes?

I dont follow American sports but why is it so hated in peoples eyes? Is it big because it's more a celebrity than a sport? Do you have big teams playing against big teams not because they were the best but simply because they were known as the big money making team pre tournament?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

I dont follow American sports but why is it so hated in peoples eyes? Is it big because it's more a celebrity than a sport? Do you have big teams playing against big teams not because they were the best but simply because they were known as the big money making team pre tournament?
I actually enjoy American Football - but I'll never understand how you can be called the best when not very team plays every other team - and pretty much no one else on the planet plays the sport! Oh, and then there's the 300 weeks of programmes on the "draft"!! Bonkers

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I think fundamentally the issue here is that in American sports losing and/or mediocrity are tolerated to a much greater extent. In large part I suspect this is because most Americans follow multiple sports and have teams nearby that they will cheer for. For instance, in Boston you have the Patriots (NFL), Red Sox (MLB), Celtics (NBA), Bruins (NHL), plus too many college teams to count. Many of these sports are concurrent - e.g. NCAA football and the NFL, or right now baseball, basketball, and hockey are all ongoing. This reduces the stakes for most sports because just around the corner another one will start up featuring another team you support, or you might only have to wait a day or two. I don't think this would work in football personally given how large it is compared to the other options and the extent to which there are more single-sport devotees.

It's notable that the big exception to this is the NCAA basketball tournament, which is a 68 team team single elimination bracket. Interestingly this is the most gambled event in the US every year by a huge margin - I believe it's something on the order of $10 billion gets wagered every March. If anything this would suggest to me that higher-stakes European models might do well in the US, but the problem is current professional teams make absurd amounts of money so sweeping change is unlikely.

Siorac

I can't speak for others but my problem is with the 'closed shop' nature of their system. If a 'franchise' wants to play in the NFL, they need to apply, and then the rest of the league votes on whether they let them in or not. There's no other way in, there's no promotion/relegation, no 'football pyramid' in the way it works in Europe. The other big thing is that the draft system rewards and incentivises being as shit as you possibly can if you are already shit in the first place.

I have a few more slight issues with mostly superficial stuff but these two are the big ones.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I have mixed feelings about this. They aren't taking away places from the top 4 but then giving clubs outside top 4 a chance to play in the ucl who have historically done well in the competition? If there are extra slots for England then what is the problem?
But then if a club are being poorly run and getting results to match, should they be rewarded based on what they were? Getting better rewards than clubs better than them who don't have the same history behind them.

I can't be bothered to check for sure but I imagine if they started doing this a few years back Arsenal would have qualified most if not every year since they dropped out of top 4, practically giving them a get out of jail free card based on their past record.

It would also give the likes of Glazers, Kroenke etc an even bigger excuse to scale down on spending if they know they'll almost certainly get a free backdoor entry in the event of failure.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

There is the phenomenon of teams tanking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanking_(sports)

Losing on purpose and what's worse is some fans get behind it. Grim.

Hester_manc

Ståle Solbakken (Norway Manager):
"In recent years [Juventus] have been knocked out by Lyon, Porto and Ajax in the Champions League. Why the feck should they be in such a tournament then? Tottenham and Arsenal are currently, probably not, among the 20-30 best teams in Europe"

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It wasn't just that people thought an ESL was a bad idea, they also thought this version of an ESL was particularly terrible.
Yep - this too.

I know people who - kind of - wouldn't have been absolutely against a "super league" in some shape or form...but even those people hated this particular idea.

Basically, the very model (where there's no relegation, etc.) clearly doesn't sit well at all with football fans (or should I say "soccer"). Whether they're online gamers or old farts.

DSG

Doesnt this have a lot to do with the decision to remove it from the free to air list in the uk, making it difficult and expensive to access. Im iny mid 30s and only a few of my friends still watch the cl due to that reason

It seems like it is a result of uefa etc chasing more lucrative contracts in the short term which ultinately damages interest in their competition in the long term. Can imagine the cl being a continuotatin of that
Yes, you are most likely correct I would think. Live broadcast models are changing across the industry as well.

What are they?
It was something like 10-12% less than the older age group. So, relatively significant.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Looks like Barcelona are still not necessarily letting this go, and who can blame them? Their finances are in a terrible position.

Chicken United 7

Must say that I am simply extremely proud of all United fans (and obviously football fans) due to how we’ve all banded together as one to get this idea firmly thrown out the window. Just goes to show the power of fans. If we keep going and protesting, we could get these elitist CL reforms off the table too. They’re better than the Super League, but still awful. Then you have other issues in football like racism. If we protest and ensure that the organisations have to clamp down hard on the abusers, then they will and after a few life bans, you’ll see it slowly disappear from our game.

This Super League might rear its ugly head again, but who’s scared? When virtually everybody unites against a few people, it’s common sense as to who will end up winning.

Credit goes to:

1) Every single fan who protested, whether by going out to stadiums, on social media, fan forums etc. All of us are football, and I know we can do more to purify the game further and make it as good as possible. United fans have already driven Woodward out!

2) Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, what a job they have done. Great pundits despite what many have said, and clearly also men of the people. Gary in particular for essentially making himself a leader and spokesperson for all fans.

3) Pep and Klopp. To have the guts to speak out against their employers, no matter club allegiances, is extremely courageous. Now that normality is thankfully resumed, I hope Pep bottles the title for us and Klopp fails to make top 4 :lol:

4) Every single player who led dressing room revolts to force their own employers to drastically u-turn like Bruno, Maguire, Henderson, Bellerin etc, and also every player who spoke out, including Milner and Bamford. Latter even managed to protest against racism while sticking up for the fans. Absolutely magnificent. Of course, I hope he misses 10 sitters on Sunday! Seriously though, the courage of these players to speak out even though their wages might have increased if they didn’t (bar Bamford) out of their love for competition, football and us fans is something to be widely admired.

All in all, this is a victory for football.

Reactions: Invictus

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

This reads like an empty statement, honestly. So they're attentive to what everyone's saying, yet they haven't said how they'll act.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So it looks like AC Milan and Juventus are still committed to this. I can see why Perez is still feeling committed to this, now.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Of course they are. They changed their badge to a fecking J.
I was expecting Inter to stick around as well (before the news bites from last night) given how they're all about going against the convention and trying to be different. It looks like they couldn't commit to their own mantra. :lol: