European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Domestic leagues can't and won't ban the only teams people are really paying to watch
They've already said that they will ban them teams from the league, any team can be expelled from the league if the governing body decides.

MDFC Manager

Can't help but feel that spending power of state run clubs have accelerated this.

The big clubs are making losses trying to keep up with the Arabs.
That's a massive factor in this for sure. The costs of running a big, competitive football club have increased hugely because of the oil clubs, thereby reducing the money they (owners) make.

Interval

Level
Let me guess the Presser. We don't want to do this but honestly, left with no other choice due to UEFA acting like a tyrant and making changes we don't like.

Cue some weeks of negotiation and a new structure that suits the moneymen on all sides

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Never going to happen, UEFA and premier league have already condemned it.

Plus UEFA have already said that any team that participates in it will be banned from ALL competitions, domestically and in europe. Players may also be banned from repping their country in Euros/WC's

If players put their foot down, it won't happen, plus if it happens then there's only a ESL, then it'll be so bad as there's no cup competitions (unless they make their own, but that really makes the league kinda pointless)

Any club who joins the European Super League will be banned from the Premier League, the FA Cup, Serie A, La Liga and UEFA competitions.

Their players are also at risk of being stopped from joining up with their national teams and, potentially, representing them at World Cups and European Championships, according to a joint statement.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI

The statements are pretty condemning of it.

The 20 clubs would be split into two 10-team groups. Each team in a group would play home and away matches against one another. The top four teams in each group would then play a knockout play-off across the two divisions to decide the champion for the season.

There would be home and away legs in the quarter-finals and semi-final, with a final played at a neutral venue.

It would also see a best versus worst approach to the knockout matches, with the team with the best record playing the team with the eighth-best record. This would also apply to the semi-finals.

Matches would take place in midweek, with the exception of the final. Clubs would still play in their domestic leagues.

https://theathletic.com/news/european-super-league-premier-league/i5ilPK1rFttI

Reads like a US style competition, but if we can still play in domestic leagues, then surely the Prem can come to an agreement. But if they ban them from the PL then what's the point, might as well not sign up
How can a UEFA body ban a player representing a country? That's a lawsuit right there. It just won't fly.

Moreover FIFA is on-board with this.

kps88

The clubs in this super league wouldn't want to stay in their domestic competitions anyway, they just can't come out and announce that straight away. They will want to play at weekends for the TV audience, will want to play around the world and will decide playing each other even more will be more worthwhile than playing the likes of Burnley.
The NYT article says the fixtures have been planned as midweek games, with the final on a weekend.

stevoc

I think it's a direct response to UEFA and entities like the Premier League allowing the state takeovers of PSG and Man City. People hate change so I'm not surprised by the response, feckers went mad about apple removing the audio jack for fecks sake, but I'm unsure as to where I'm at with it, as I feel we're fast moving towards a U.A.E domination regardless.

Stupid cnuts.
If FFP is removed or rendered even just more pointless than it already is, then no doubt more Oil states will be getting on the act. And European football will be nothing more than middle eastern pissing contest.

Coxy

The holy than thou outrage is perplexing to be honest. We're talking about a potential return to the early 00's level of football, with a collection of brilliant teams slugging it out. People are really scared of change it seems.
A collection of brilliant teams slugging it out...isn’t that what the champions league is?

Water Melon

Tennis, snooker are still there as well as extreme sports. Would switch to them. The clubs backed by oil money will rule their leagues. In 5 years time they will rule European club football. The game has been dying for the last two decades, now the inevitable end is just approaching faster. Some people will spend their money on buying paintings, some will spend on football clubs, some on charity, some on gambling, some on booze and drugs etc. People do whatever they want to do. We, as fans, can either live with it or switch to something else. I will gladly concentrate on individual sports before they turn into toys in the hands of billionaires too.

Pep's Suit

I 100% would take Super League over FA Cup and League Cup games or over CL group matches where at least 4/6 of them are predictable, boring and pointless. No idea what the problem is here. We all know Premier League or Sky can't survive without the Big 6 so they can threaten as much as they want but removing needless competitions to make space for this one is smart and reasonable.

Exactly. They’ve given UEFA a chance with FFP to ensure spending is reduced - it failed. They’ve asked for more control over domestic/European tv rights to increase revenues - it was rejected. What did people expect? We just become City and PSGs fecking feeder club?
Just look at the acceleration of City's dominance, from zero PL titles to 5 of the last 10, including soon 3 of the last 4. We are all getting swallowed up by the U.A.E because no football club can compete with a state.

Infuriating seeing so many posters here blaming the clubs, when UEFA and FA are clearly the feckwits that have caused it all.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So let’s say it happens as appears to have been pitched.

United now solely play in the 12 team European Super League where you cannot be relegated from or promoted to.

Where is the desire to improve your squad? Why would any of these owners spend millions of pounds improving the team when there is no financial benefit to winning the league, or even winning games?

criticalanalysis

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I think this is a power play from the clubs involved to put pressure on the domestic leagues to give more financial proportional weighting.

E.g Utd to ask the BPL to get it's 'fair' share to the TV money due to being the most supported etc.

paulscholes18

Would have been more supportive of it had more European clubs been involved, because as things stands half our games will be other premier league teams.

RORY65

As well as Spurs and Arsenal.

I mean if you want to see the actual best teams slugging it out then a system where 15 are guaranteed a place independent of merit is hardly ideal.
Yep. There have been a lot of comparisons with American sports but they have salary caps which are manageable so everyone basically spends up to them while the shit teams get high draft picks to become competitive eventually, in this the dregs will likely just stay the dregs unless their owners have a complete character transformation.

Decade long lurker

I remember the old division 1 to PL change. As 3pm sat ko’s slowly went. But at least it was a re brand where there was still promotion and relegation to and from the championship and money trickled down. This is an abomination. A big rich boys club. All money kept inside. Who wants to watch a pre selected league with no relegation that pays millionaire players and funds billionaire owners. Rivalries need to be put aside to try and stop this. A sad day if it’s true

SER19

No doubt whatsoever-
It has one million percent accelerated. How could juventus, real madrid or Barcelona catch city and psg from here. Milan clubs? Don't even think about it. Plenty of people have been saying for years that what city and psg are doing isn't just 'the same' as every other big club. Years into each project that has been laid bare

MDFC Manager

If FFP is removed or rendered even just more pointless than it already is, then no doubt more Oil states will be getting on the act. And European football will be nothing more than middle eastern pissing contest.
Think FFP has already been scrapped completely.

RedStarUnited

wasnt the Premier League formed by teams who didnt want to be part of the football league? What was the reaction like back then when it happened?

the biggest benefactors to the PL being formed were sky too. The cheek of Neville and his buddies sitting there talking about greed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The clubs in this super league wouldn't want to stay in their domestic competitions anyway, they just can't come out and announce that straight away. They will want to play at weekends for the TV audience, will want to play around the world and will decide playing each other even more will be more worthwhile than playing the likes of Burnley.
They haven't said that. I seriously don't understand the outcry from fans and domestic leagues. Nothing changes from the existing format and the small clubs would still get their fair share of money like they are getting now. So what exactly is the issue here if 14 clubs decides to play in an additional tournament?

crossy1686

career ending
They've already said that they will ban them teams from the league, any team can be expelled from the league if the governing body decides.
The revenue United and the other teams bring the PL is worth too much to be banning teams. That's the reason their upset anyway, they're worried a super league will stop the PL from being as popular as it currently is

Oranges038

Money, money, money that's all this is about.

I've no interest in it, there's very little entertainment value in football now, when you consider what it costs to watch or go to games. This will just price out or disinterest most fans even more and in turn the next generation will have dam all interest.

TV pundits etc. Will all have a moan about it, but when it comes down to it, if it goes ahead. The companies they work for will be bidding for broadcast rights. And they will all be sitting there talking the usual crap about the games they just watched.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
So let’s say it happens as appears to have been pitched.

United now solely play in the 12 team European Super League where you cannot be relegated from or promoted to.

Where is the desire to improve your squad? Why would any of these owners spend millions of pounds improving the team when there is no financial benefit to winning the league, or even winning games?
Well you will presumably get more prize money from getting further in the competition or winning it. Same as any other competition.

kidbob

How can 2nd in the league be bottom feeders ?
Give it enough time and I'm afraid you'll understand. What UEFA want is to allow as much money as possible come into football but have the biggest revenue makers accept it. They want a 'fairness' that can allow Man City to have a better bench than Arsenal do a first team but still take in all the revenue from Arsenal fans anyway. They want a 'fairness' that is a European 'Champions' league that gives multiple places to big revenue leagues that means that the actual champions from Scotland, Ireland, etc will never be able to make it to the competition proper. They want a 'fairness' that suits only them. The only reason that UEFA care about this is because they stand to lose revenue. If this was Rangers and Dundalk and other small clubs, who are champions, from small nations planning this UEFA wouldn't give a shit.

Well then maybe UEFA should have done more to stop UAE and Qatar from making a joke out of football. Maybe they should have stopped the likes of Leeds, Wigan, us and Liverpool from being taken over by obvious leeches and straddled with huge debts. They created this shit and it is their fault. I hate the super league idea but I simply don't blame the clubs I blame UEFA, the FA and the other league authorities.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I am struggling to understand how any fans can be for this? I genuinely don't see anything positive or redeeming about it at all.
CL football is dead, pret
Yeah right - and there are courts who can block such thing happening.

It has one million percent accelerated. How could juventus, real madrid or Barcelona catch city and psg from here. Milan clubs? Don't even think about it. Plenty of people have been saying for years that what city and psg are doing isn't just 'the same' as every other big club. Years into each project that has been laid bare
That's it right there, the acceleration of that domination is there for all to see, and it should be blindingly obvious to everyone that no single football can compete with an oil rich state, it's fecking preposterous. So many heads buried in the sand regarding City's (and later PSG's) takeovers and where that was ultimately leading us.

MDFC Manager

Just look at the acceleration of City's dominance, from zero PL titles to 5 of the last 10, including soon 3 of the last 4. We are all getting swallowed up by the U.A.E because no football club can compete with a state.

Infuriating seeing so many posters here blaming the clubs, when UEFA and FA are clearly the feckwits that have caused it all.
Completely agreed. The non oil clubs have been cornered and they're using their brand to run with with idea.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
They have to say that. It’s the only thing potentially stopping it.
The revenue United and the other teams bring the PL is worth too much to be banning teams. That's the reason their upset anyway, they're worried a super league will stop the PL from being as popular as it currently is
I get that 100% no one would really watch the Prem, if it were to go ahead (and to be honest I think it will, there'll be some sort of money negotiation going on) then the excitement would be watching who gets into the ESL each year as there is still promotion and relegation to that league. Though the Big 6 would be permanent members of the league. Maybe they're trying to scare the big teams off?

Let's all remember this one very fact the Premier League itself was/is a breakaway league from the old league system! This is kinda like history repeating itself.