European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Florentino Pérez and Joel Glazer - saviours of football. They will make it great again.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The audacity to form this "exclusive" group of clubs is a completely disgrace. A joke. Arsenal haven't won a title since 2004. Spurs since god knows when. In 50 years maybe Leicester or Everton have overtaken Arsenal, such is the beauty of football's unpredictability.

They've basically said feck you to all of us. And not even relegation. Complete farce.

Skills

Snitch
The hypocrisy of sky and their employees crying about the treatment of the everyday fan is laughable at best. "It's all about greed"... Sure... We believe you, you're all about the love of the game:lol:.

The whole idea sounds like a European version of the premier league foundation, so I'm not entirely sure what the need for the hysterical reaction is. The no relegation thing, if that's the case, is shitty. Effort should be put into trying to force that not to be the case... The rest (from either side) is just a bunch of people trying to look out for their slice of the pie, there is no altruism here.
Then same fecking Sky that put games on PPV this season :lol:

Fox outside the box

Give us the good then?
It really depends how it works and we need more details but could it potentially help some clubs cement some European history? It may end up being seen as a tier below but if you ask fans of teams who play in the Europa League, I'm sure they have had a lot of memories and enjoyment from the competition that they wouldn't have if it didn't exist at all.

If I try to think of the best reasons for how this could turn out just fine, I'd factor in that it could mean that fans of teams like Everton, Leicester, Wolves, even Southampton, West Ham, are now able to qualify for whatever the champions league or europa league would be, could even remain the same. That competition would probably see a much bigger change over of teams each year, as the clubs that now qualify for eufa's competition(s) are more at risk of position changes being quite erratic each season.

So there's 3 different non domestic competitions. Super League, Champions League, Europa League. The latter two might not be as prestigious as they once were but it is still a European Cup competition for teams to enjoy. Teams who have never featured in one in their history.

It's easy to sneer at now but I'm sure fans of plenty of clubs would enjoy a European night against a Valencia or Roma.

Then there's the idea that it's quite an intriguing competition. There would be far less dead rubber games and teams would be found out more often. It gives a good idea of the talent at the very top, it's difficult to gauge the difference between a Bayern and Barca at times. They can go years without ever playing. Seeing all of the top teams regularly duke it out gives far more meat to conversations about the best players, teams and coaches in the world.

It gives fans a chance to see more of the very best players in the flesh. You get to watch the likes of Messi at Old Trafford and I don't think people only enjoy seeing him play because they don't get to very often, I don't think the argument of playing each year means the novelty goes away. You turn up to watch players like Neymar and Messi, Mbappe and Ronaldo as many times as you possibly can. For a lot of fans in England, that isn't very often, if at all. It makes these players more accessible and that's quite exciting.

Plus, change can be exciting, the unknown and what have you.

I'm not saying I'm 'for' it, I'm still very much trying to process it and weigh up the pots tial ramifications.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This event is not some small time operation. The founders have done thei homework and will have a move for everything coming their way.

It’s business and I think UEFA and FIFA will play along in the end.

Will the CL be replaced in the end?
This is what many people are being completely naive about.

They will have taken the best legal advice that money can buy and will know where they stand legally and contractually.

diarm

Uefa and the various FA's should go balls to the wall on this. All out attack.

Ban the clubs involved from all current domestic, continental and international tournaments and at the same time, tell all players within those 12 clubs that if they wish to leave on free transfers, they will recognise and ratify their new registrations.

Those players would be able to make good coin signing for new clubs on a free and that money, along with the lure of representing their countries. If enough of them jumped ship, the leagues might be able to salvage at least a decent portion of the tv deals and have a real go at crushing the traitors.

mu4c_20le

Transfer to where? Newcastle, Villarreal? The teams they'd want to join are nearly all in this thing, and I would not rule out Bayern and PSG jumping onboard.
It's wishful thinking after watching Gary Neville and the other ex pros speak out against it. Club players are probably not even allowed do talk about it until properly briefed by their clubs.

AgentSmith

I’m genuinely baffled that there are people defending this idea or trying to portray it as a positive move. This is driven purely by corporate greed and cements the complete commodification of football. There’s not a single aspect of it that makes sense outside of the money and it will cause a massive rift within the sport.

It’s a league that you can’t be relegated from for fecks sake, how does that make sense?

Arsenal are 9th in the Premier League and haven’t even been in the Champions League for nearly 5 years. Yet they’re guaranteed to be in this new league every single season despite the fact that they’ll get dicked on repeatedly. Does anyone really enjoy San Marino being in the Euros qualifiers? Because that’s what Arsenal will be without ever having the threat of being relegated as a result.

And that’s just one minor part of the impracticalities of the format. The ethos behind it is the fundamental issue; relentless greed. Do people really think if the clubs are willing to do this so brazenly that’ll be the end of it?

Last edited:

Adcuth

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but is it just a coincidence that Raiola has been visiting all clubs from this super league weeks before this announcement drumming up interest in Haaland. Where money is involved im pretty sure agents will be hovering around like flies on shit.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
If Bayern join it'll be the end of the UCL. They're the only team withholding the new Super League from claiming to be the best.

Bayern, Ajax, Dortmund make much more sense as inclusions than Arsenal, Tottenham, Atletico.

Seriously why was Arsenal even invited? Because they have rich owners too?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
So exactly how it was prior to the inception of the Premier League? Aren't half of the weirdos on here pining for the good old days when only the Champions made it in?
I don't know how it was, present way is all I know because I started watching in 2002. Last few years watching league was only worth for qualifying for Europe.

Castia

Does anyone think any team invited to be one of the founders is going to turn down 400m?

The problem is now teams like Spurs and Arsenal along with AC and Inter have the power to spend 300m this summer so anybody thinking United are just going to go out and buy X, Y and Z are in for a shock when there’s suddenly 12 clubs looking to buy the top players in Europe.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I mean if we don't have to qualify for Super league and don't play in Champions league then will it matter if we finish 3 or 7 in domestic league?
Well it might not matter anyway if the clubs are kicked out

::sonny::

Who will decide the referees?
Who will look at the respect of the league rules?
Florentino Perez?

Haha

SwedishFish

For the love of god, stop it with this image been in this thread at least 5 times already.

It's so overly dramatic.

Football has been like this for the better part of 15-20 years now and steeply getting worse over the last 10. The outrage should've been last year when FFP officially died and we saw the ineptitude of UEFA that basically already created a closed-off Champions League.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The audacity to form this "exclusive" group of clubs is a completely disgrace. A joke. Arsenal haven't won a title since 2004. Spurs since god knows when. In 50 years maybe Leicester or Everton have overtaken Arsenal, such is the beauty of football's unpredictability.

They've basically said feck you to all of us. And not even relegation. Complete farce.
Of course there's no relegation. The yanks wouldn't allow it. Neither would Perez tbf.
They have to protect their investment.

Fox outside the box

Why are they saying feck you to us?

I can see why fans of other clubs may be concerned etc but why is this them saying feck you to us? Even if you disagree with them, would they not be doing this as an attempt to get even more fan engagement? If their motivations are purely greed, they still need to squeeze the consumer more, surely? That means it still needs to be a product people pay for.

Even if it ended up a disaster, I don't think it's because they don't want the fans to like it or even don't care. Even if they are purely selfish, they want the fans to care.

DoomSlayer

Muppets should rejoice, we can now buy Haaland, Sancho and Grealish all in 1 summer, with these extra 400 million. :D

OleGunnar20

I wonder how much value a massive boycott by fans could shave off the club? Judging by the reaction tonight it seems pretty unanimous that this is shite.

No merch, no sky packages, no PPV etc etc.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is probably the right time for Celtic and Rangers to join the Prem :D

The Firestarter

Who will decide the referees?
Who will look at the respect of the league rules?
Florentino Perez?

Haha
That mob as president should be enough to see how this affair will progress. Btw, UEFA will ban every ref who officiated their games.

Jezpeza

Is it going to be like a game of poker between us and the Premier league?

theyve talked about kicking us out but What does a Premier league look like without us, man city, chelsea, arsenal, spurs and liverpool? and likewise for the spanish league.

is this going to be a case of the premier league has to kind of accept it as these 6 clubs are too big to fail if together? I cannot contemplate those 6 clubs being kicked out and replaced with championship clubs. Interested to see how fifa uefa and league try to block it.

personally not in favour as theres plenty of provision with the champions league and europa league. I almost think that theres demand for a third tier european tournament, almost like an intertoto cup that happens during season.

cant see this super league doing anything other than making the premier league a 6 team mini league, and its much better when you see ten man leeds giving a game to city and mid table villa spank 7 past the champs. Its that competition thats made it so good.

dinostar77

Does anyone think any team invited to be one of the founders is going to turn down 400m?

So £400mil dividend for the glazers. Sod paying off the debt or fixing the stadium or updating the training ground. Invest in players? Nah. We'll keep that money for ourselves. A bonus for setting this all up.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not a single team or player will be banned. This is all posturing. They wouldn't have taken the step if there was any danger of this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The problem is now teams like Spurs and Arsenal along with AC and Inter have the power to spend 300m this summer so anybody thinking United are just going to go out and buy X, Y and Z are in for a shock when there’s suddenly 12 clubs looking to buy the top players in Europe.
The real problem is that if leagues don't prevent these clubs from playing in domestic leagues then they are going to absolutely pillage the non super league teams because they need two teams with this midweek competition. The gap between have and have not has been extended to the extreme.

RedDevilRoshi

I’m genuinely interested to know what our own players and the other players who are registered to these clubs make of this and the apparent repercussions of it e.g. not being allowed to play for your country at a World Cup.