Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

I would say his overall play is lacking tbh, and he hasn't been first choice Brighton yet, played 971 mins of PL total, playing 70 min+ only 6 times.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/evan-ferguson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/648046/wettbewerb/GB1

on what planet is he ready to be first choice at United?
Has Hojlund showed more to prove he is ready to be first choice at United ? The stats you’ve shown shows Ferguson is basically a goal every other game striker in the PL as a starter and has done that at 18 years old.

Reality is there’s very little genuinely established quality centre forwards out there and the ones that are (Kane, Lewandowski, Benzema, Haaland and Osimhen) aren’t available or ridiculously priced due to their owners knowing genuine established quality centre forwards command a massive premium.

Whoever we sign as centre forward will be a risk as the likes of Hojlund, Muani, Ferguson, Vlahovic, David and Wahi aren’t established top quality and could just as easily flop as star for us BUT the one difference for me is that Ferguson is showing it in the PL whereas the others could very well take time to adapt and settle.

Gandalf

Has Hojlund showed more to prove he is ready to be first choice at United ? The stats you’ve shown shows Ferguson is basically a goal every other game striker in the PL as a starter and has done that at 18 years old.

Reality is there’s very little genuinely established quality centre forwards out there and the ones that are (Kane, Lewandowski, Benzema, Haaland and Osimhen) aren’t available or ridiculously priced due to their owners knowing genuine established quality centre forwards command a massive premium.

Whoever we sign as centre forward will be a risk as the likes of Hojlund, Muani, Ferguson, Vlahovic, David and Wahi aren’t established top quality and could just as easily flop as star for us BUT the one difference for me is that Ferguson is showing it in the PL whereas the others could very well take time to adapt and settle.
Ferguson is not for sale, Hojlund is at the right price. Rasmus this year, Evan next, no idea why people think that can't happen.

RVN1991

Ferguson is not for sale, Hojlund is at the right price. Rasmus this year, Evan next, no idea why people think that can't happen.
Because teams don't really play with two strikers anymore? Unless one of them can play on the wing or behind the striker that is.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People are seeing how Brighton are messing Chelsea about and saying, yeah, we want some of that. The idea he will be cheap now is insane.

Gandalf

Because teams don't really play with two strikers anymore? Unless one of them can play on the wing or behind the striker that is.
No reason they should play as a two although that is not to say we never would, certain match situations would call for it, but we still need two strikers and they should both be starting quality. In 1999 we played with a 2 and we had 4 strikers who could have walked into the starting lineup of any team in the world. Rotation will be needed and provided we are winning things, which I would sincerely hope we would be, they won't mind sharing the minutes.

theklr

Højlund can, and anyways we need two strikers in the squad

Howl

No reason they should play as a two although that is not to say we never would, certain match situations would call for it, but we still need two strikers and they should both be starting quality. In 1999 we played with a 2 and we had 4 strikers who could have walked into the starting lineup of any team in the world. Rotation will be needed and provided we are winning things, which I would sincerely hope we would be, they won't mind sharing the minutes.
One of those subs was a 35 year old and the other was Ole who was perfectly accepting of his super sub role. It's different than spending big on a 20 year old striker and then spending big on an 18 year old striker. They both will need game time, which won't be afforded in a 1 striker system.

Bojan Djordjic

Beware of Brighton players.They're operating in a near perfect environment where the system makes players look really good. See Cucurella, Bissouma. Ferguson is a fantastic *young* player and he's the great big hope for Ireland but he's still green as hell and I don't see him being anywhere near the standard needed for the fanbase not to be constantly getting at him. Would really hate to see him leave Brighton before he matures as there's the making of a really good striker there if he can nail his development.

Gandalf

One of those subs was a 35 year old and the other was Ole who was perfectly accepting of his super sub role. It's different than spending big on a 20 year old striker and then spending big on an 18 year old striker. They both will need game time, which won't be afforded in a 1 striker system.
Erik wants 2 players for every position, both should be capable of starting. If you are simply signing a backup for your main striker you are going to have serious issues if your starter is out long term. If you cannot give two players enough game time in a season of up to 60 games you are doing it wrong and if you are planning to start the same striker in every one of those games you are certifiably insane. I would still take issue with the notion we won't play both together also, clearly it won't be our primary tactic but if we are not going to be tactically flexible then we will struggle against strong opposition.

Hammondo

He's scored 6 goals. I'm not saying sign anyone, but the idea of signing someone who is 18, nearly totally unproven, has not been first choice of any PL side. We don't have another striker, there is a good chance he had a struggle of a season.

OrcaFat

We do. I just don’t know why so many people think we should have a set first XI and everyone else is back up or surplus. The modern way is a squad composed of good quality across 20-25 players and therefore competition for every place in the team. Two good strikers is the minimum you need.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would rather take Toney. An experienced striker above another kid.

Erik the Red

We do. I just don’t know why so many people think we should have a set first XI and everyone else is back up or surplus. The modern way is a squad composed of good quality across 20-25 players and therefore competition for every place in the team. Two good strikers is the minimum you need.
I would argue you want three players for the striker position, as it is the one most likely to be substituted in a match, and as others have pointed out, we should be flexible to play two up front at times. Assuming a front three of Rashford, Hojlund and Antony, I would love for us to have four attackers on the bench as "game changers", Garnacho and Sancho as the two wingers, and two more strikers, maybe Martial and MG, but I am not sure whether either will be here next season, hence why ETH is trialling Sancho as a number 9.

Personally, I would like us to go for Hojlund and Gift Orban this season, together with Martial as the third option (nobody is buying him on his current wages) and loan out MG to gain fitness. Next season we will have Hojlund, and Gift Orban, and MG coming back. If Kane is available on a free, its a no brainer, and MG can always get minutes as a right winger. Then we can go for Ferguson in a few years when he has more experience and hopefully he has a release clause or his contract will be shorter so we might get him for a normal price.

You are absolutely right to say that if someone is considered a second XI player, they probably aren't good enough - they have to be of comparable quality to the first team player. In most teams there will be a handful of players that are basically guaranteed starters (e.g. Bruno, Martinez), others that are generally in the first XI (Varane, AWB), and another few that are very close to first XI and are conparable quality to the first team player in their position (Dalot, Sancho).

dubplate warrior

Although I’ve not seen lots of Hojlund I’d much prefer Ferguson over Hojlund, already Ferguson looks and is built like a man so the physicality of the PL will never be a problem for him whilst he presses and has a good all round game so playing with better players would push his progression on rapidly in my opinion.
I would love Ferguson, for me one of the best up and coming young strikers in Europe. However on the points you raise, Hojlund is just as big, much quicker and presses like a madman. He has good link up play but the first touch is a little suspect.

Redcy

Ferguson would be sold for around 80-90m, there is no way you convince them to sell for cheaper

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Still think we should've gone in now. He'll explode this season and I could see us having to compete with Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea/Newcastle next summer.
If it was remotely possible, I'd agree.

croadyman

Getting more and more convinced he who shall not be named could be returning,why else has the talk of signing two strikers gone dead

Remember the geese

Getting more and more convinced he who shall not be named could be returning,why else has the talk of signing two strikers gone dead
I'd like to think that if we had any intention of using Greenwood this season we would have included him in our pre-season plans. Shooting ourselves in the foot otherwise. Probably giving the club far too much credit though.

RVN1991

This.

croadyman

I would argue you want three players for the striker position, as it is the one most likely to be substituted in a match, and as others have pointed out, we should be flexible to play two up front at times. Assuming a front three of Rashford, Hojlund and Antony, I would love for us to have four attackers on the bench as "game changers", Garnacho and Sancho as the two wingers, and two more strikers, maybe Martial and MG, but I am not sure whether either will be here next season, hence why ETH is trialling Sancho as a number 9.

Personally, I would like us to go for Hojlund and Gift Orban this season, together with Martial as the third option (nobody is buying him on his current wages) and loan out MG to gain fitness. Next season we will have Hojlund, and Gift Orban, and MG coming back. If Kane is available on a free, its a no brainer, and MG can always get minutes as a right winger. Then we can go for Ferguson in a few years when he has more experience and hopefully he has a release clause or his contract will be shorter so we might get him for a normal price.

You are absolutely right to say that if someone is considered a second XI player, they probably aren't good enough - they have to be of comparable quality to the first team player. In most teams there will be a handful of players that are basically guaranteed starters (e.g. Bruno, Martinez), others that are generally in the first XI (Varane, AWB), and another few that are very close to first XI and are conparable quality to the first team player in their position (Dalot, Sancho).
Personally think it's mental we haven't gone for any of Gimenez,Orban or one of these Alvarez type gems from South America

Clearly we have no intention of going for that profile or experienced goalscorer type either which could leave us short of goals this season.

croadyman

I'd like to think that if we had any intention of using Greenwood this season we would have included him in our pre-season plans. Shooting ourselves in the foot otherwise. Probably giving the club far too much credit though.
Yeah that is a valid point,however just can't make any other reasoning why any talk of signing another striker just completely stopped

SmithLogic

People are seeing how Brighton are messing Chelsea about and saying, yeah, we want some of that. The idea he will be cheap now is insane.
We hope to be Glazer free at this time next year.

croadyman

Agreed. The ideal, but impossible situation would be to sign both Kane and Højlund. The master and the apprentice.
Yeah such a shame those leeches weren't willing to feck off so Erik was forced into a choice. Surely there is someone experienced who knows where the net is that can be signed for a reasonable fee.

Remember the geese

Not sure if you read my post. If not, I suggest you do it again. I was recommending Hojlund + Toney.
Ah apologies. I read "above another kid" to mean instead of Højlund, rather than in addition to. Either way, the funds are clearly not there for both and Toney would most likely cost £80m, whilst missing the first half of the season. I don't see Brentford as willing sellers in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.