Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuentin

I would say his overall play is lacking tbh, and he hasn't been first choice Brighton yet, played 971 mins of PL total, playing 70 min+ only 6 times.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/evan-ferguson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/648046/wettbewerb/GB1

on what planet is he ready to be first choice at United?
Surely we could (and should?) argue the same for Højlund? In a perfect world neither of these would be being seen as the new starting forward for us. Both still have plenty to prove and both represent a gamble. That said, I'd rather the lad who is showing it in the PL all things being equal.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Price of the brick about to go up.

Why is there a belief Brighton will entertain being asset stripped?

Do they even see themselves as a selling club, and is this a business model?

I should think Southampton serve as a cautionary tale and that there's a finite amount of players Brighton will let go in any one season, unless something absurd comes in as a bid.

Baxquux

Think he's patient and wants to develop at his own pace, Brighton is a great club for that. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to spend at least another couple of seasons there.
Maybe. I think he would definitely want another season there developing, getting more minutes and hitting higher numbers, playing in europe without pressure to necessarily reach the latter stages etc. But why not acquire leverage so that when a big club, ideally the one you supported, comes in, you have the option to say yes or no, provided they're willing to pay significant but not crazy money?

I also think more release clauses, along with clubs breaking the gentleman's agreement around not using Webster ruling, are going to be the two best deflationary measures in terms of spiralling prices (100 for rice; 105 for fernandez with less than one good season behind him etc), if they're farsighted enough to understand this....

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just don’t see why we should go for Hojlund over this guy.

Seems like potentially a waste of money for someone who is going to cost a lot of money next season.

I also am not ashamed to say that I always want the best British players at the best British club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Seems like potentially a waste of money for someone who is going to cost a lot of money next season.

I also am not ashamed to say that I always want the best British players at the best British club.
:lol: hope this is an intentional troll

MegadrivePerson

So Why do you want Ferguson then?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Where do you think the lad is from?

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

Ferguson isn't british.

We aren't the best british club.

Red00012

So Harry Kane ?

Morpheus 7

Evan is from Ireland lad.

Baxquux

I would say his overall play is lacking tbh, and he hasn't been first choice Brighton yet, played 971 mins of PL total, playing 70 min+ only 6 times.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/evan-ferguson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/648046/wettbewerb/GB1

on what planet is he ready to be first choice at United?
I don't think we're arguing for him to be 1st choice - like Hojlund to a degree, he would be eased in and ideally we'd sign someone like Kane alongside him ( the club should exercise the Webster; would save a lot of ridiculousness) or an experienced fill=in. But his overall play, in terms of positioning, interplay, judgement etc is well above the curve for a good 18 year old; it doesn't always work out in a linear way, but he's ahead in his development compared to Kane at that age, and Kane was known for being a 'smart' and 'technical' footballer even when he wasn't pulling up trees on loan. He's not quite at 18 year old Rooney levels in terms of game changing dynamism, but he's got the basic skills and mental tools to be a future Kane/Lewa etc style number 9 in terms of building play as well as leading the line.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
He could still elect to play for Northern Ireland though, ensuring that he meets the British criteria :)

Or does that only work the other way around?
I have no idea what you're taking about but no, he's played three competitive games for Ireland already.

mu4c_20le

A top club will move for him within two yeras, and we'll be stuck with our hands down our pants again because we're invested in the dane.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I have no idea what you're taking about but no, he's played three competitive games for Ireland already.
I thought some players have played for N Ire but then switched to Ire. I wasn’t sure if it worked both ways.

Hammondo

I don't think we're arguing for him to be 1st choice - like Hojlund to a degree, he would be eased in and ideally we'd sign someone like Kane alongside him ( the club should exercise the Webster; would save a lot of ridiculousness) or an experienced fill=in. But his overall play, in terms of positioning, interplay, judgement etc is well above the curve for a good 18 year old; it doesn't always work out in a linear way, but he's ahead in his development compared to Kane at that age, and Kane was known for being a 'smart' and 'technical' footballer even when he wasn't pulling up trees on loan. He's not quite at 18 year old Rooney levels in terms of game changing dynamism, but he's got the basic skills and mental tools to be a future Kane/Lewa etc style number 9 in terms of building play as well as leading the line.
I would say his interplay is quite poor tbh, hes closer to a Haaland and nothing like Rooney imo.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ferguson from what I've read doesn't want to move from Brighton at this stage of his career. Which is sensible because he's still developing as a player and Brighton is a good club in that regard.

The 'Dane' on the other hand wants to move and join us now.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I thought some players have played for N Ire but then switched to Ire. I wasn’t sure if it worked both ways.
You can play for Northern Ireland without being British though ;)

Devil81

A top club will move for him within two yeras, and we'll be stuck with our hands down our pants again because we're invested in the dane.
The Dane is a talent himself let's not forget. Also Ferguson would cost you well over 70 million now which would be difficult to justify given his lack of games.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ferguson will still only be 18 when next season starts remember, and a full season at Brighton will benefit him hugely.

I’m sure United will be in for him at some point - next summer at the earliest. There’s plenty of time in other words.

mu4c_20le

The Dane is a talent himself let's not forget. Also Ferguson would cost you well over 70 million now which would be difficult to justify given his lack of games.
I know he won't move this year, my concern is another Maguire like situation where we sign someone because there wasn't anyone else better or affordable. Then a year or two later someone better becomes available, but we're investing elsewhere and watching from the sidelines again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ferguson will still only be 18 when next season starts remember, and a full season at Brighton will benefit him hugely.

I’m sure United will be in for him at some point - next summer at the earliest. There’s plenty of time in other words.
Fully expecting second season syndrome. The team behind him has been weakened this summer.

croadyman

Yeah clearly wants to keep on developing at Brighton which I think is a smart move

Hammondo

To everyone that says next season we will lose out on him because everyone will be after him, why don't they go for him now instead? Or do you think you are the only one who thought of this?

L1nk

It looks likely we are signing Hojlund, if Hojlund takes off I don't see a scenario where we also sign Evan Ferguson, you cannot keep both of them happy at the development age where they both need to be playing.

It's one or the other, if we get Hojlund as it looks likely we will, we'll likely sign extremely experienced cheap backups to him (if he takes off)

croadyman

It looks likely we are signing Hojlund, if Hojlund takes off I don't see a scenario where we also sign Evan Ferguson, you cannot keep both of them happy at the development age where they both need to be playing.

It's one or the other, if we get Hojlund as it looks likely we will, we'll likely sign extremely experienced cheap backups to him (if he takes off)
We need that backup now

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Well I think it could actually be useful.

From the little ive seen of both - Hojlund looks good with his back to goal playing these tricks and flicks that can play the inverted forwards in to goal.

On the other hand - Ferguson looks better at straight passing from Dropping deeper.

It’s like having 2 different types of number 9’s that can play in the inverted forwards whilst being goal scorers themselves.

L1nk

Well I think it could actually be useful.

From the little ive seen of both - Hojlund looks good with his back to goal playing these tricks and flicks that can play the inverted forwards in to goal.

On the other hand - Ferguson looks better at straight passing from Dropping deeper.

It’s like having 2 different types of number 9’s that can play in the inverted forwards whilst being goal scorers themselves.
Right - and I agree having both would be great. But we don't play 2 strikers and they are both going to want to play every game they can, they are at critical stages of their career in terms of development neither is going to want to sit on the bench and be super subs. Combined with - if Ferguson explodes - how much it would take to get him out of Brighton I just don't think the club will see it as making sense to invest so heavily in him if Hojlund does well

Status
Not open for further replies.