Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

padzilla

Hipster
Fergie loved signing strikers, I would see Evan being a United player under him. Nowadays we seldom buy talent from other PL clubs.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Fergie loved signing strikers, I would see Evan being a United player under him. Nowadays we seldom buy talent from other PL clubs.
There's an obvious reason for that: All of them are multitudes richer in the modern game with how popular the league has become.

Ferguson 20 years ago would have commanded 20-25m from us for him and Brighton could never turn anything like that down. Now they can tell everyone to feck off for under 100m just like they are doing with Caicedo.

TsuWave

There's an obvious reason for that: All of them are multitudes richer in the modern game with how popular the league has become.

Ferguson 20 years ago would have commanded 20-25m from us for him and Brighton could never turn anything like that down. Now they can tell everyone to feck off for under 100m just like they are doing with Caicedo.
these people are watching Brighton decline £80m for Caicedo then come to this thread and pretend as if Ferguson would be attainable at a reasonable price :lol:

Redcy

Yeah such a shame those leeches weren't willing to feck off so Erik was forced into a choice. Surely there is someone experienced who knows where the net is that can be signed for a reasonable fee.
It’s definite a vexing issue but it’s clear any striker of any basic level is costing 25m and up, look at Atalanta supposed replacement. People like Ramos will be 80m+, genuinely think united hoped we would get Kane for 70-80m based on his last year contract, us expecting he might force a move, etc

Redcy

We also run into the issue that as soon as we make an approach the price is immediately 60m

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

The thing is, even without all those riches merely adjusting for basic inflation 20-25m 20 years ago is 40-50m today: https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/2003?amount=100

The rest is football transfer inflation and, as you implied, EPL becoming the biggest cash machine in world football.

bringbackbebe

The thing is, even without all those riches merely adjusting for basic inflation 20-25m 20 years ago is 40-50m today: https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/2003?amount=100

The rest is football transfer inflation and, as you implied, EPL becoming the biggest cash machine in world football.
Football revenue growth has far exceeded general UK inflation. Rooney in the current day would have cost us £110m - spending £60-70m on Ferguson won't be off. I made this thread a while back for this:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/revenue-inflation-adjusted-transfers.475485/

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

Idxomer

He's scored 6 goals. I'm not saying sign anyone, but the idea of signing someone who is 18, nearly totally unproven, has not been first choice of any PL side. We don't have another striker, there is a good chance he had a struggle of a season.
This is a good point. He's a great talent but after scoring 3 goals in his first 5 PL games, he only got 3 in his next 14 games. Some of those were sub appearances but that's another indication his manager doesn't think he's ready to lead the line regularly. They even bought another striker for £30m this summer.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
This is a good point. He's a great talent but after scoring 3 goals in his first 5 PL games, he only got 3 in his next 14 games. Some of those were sub appearances but that's another indication his manager doesn't think he's ready to lead the line regularly. They even bought another striker for £30m this summer.
He picked up an injury and eased back in with sub appearances - nothing to do with his performances, purely fitness.

ErikElevenHag

Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Mount
Eriksen

We sign premier league players, we always have, don't know where you're coming from with that statement.

If you're talking solely about a striker, there hasn't really been one worth signing with the exception of Kane and at a push toney (betting scandal aside).

Idxomer

He picked up an injury and eased back in with sub appearances - nothing to do with his performances, purely fitness.
Right, but I don't see much difference in the way his minutes were handled before and after Fabinho's tackle.

Do you think he'll be the main striker next season?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Right, but I don't see much difference in the way his minutes were handled before and after Fabinho's tackle.

Do you think he'll be the main striker next season?
He will rotate with Welbeck and Pedro - not sure if he’ll be the main striker but he’ll get plenty of minutes!

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

Sorry but comments like this are so bad in the the transfer threads.....the Premier League has changed so much since 2013 because clubs like Brighton & Hove have now much more money in their pockets and if a striker like Ferguson has only 4-5 good months then his price is already something like 60m (Caicedo is a fantastic player but his price should be something like 60m and not 100m).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Mount
Eriksen

We sign premier league players, we always have, don't know where you're coming from with that statement.

If you're talking solely about a striker, there hasn't really been one worth signing with the exception of Kane and at a push toney (betting scandal aside).
Some people like Watkins aswell.

padzilla

Hipster
Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Mount
Eriksen

Yeah that's a fair point, I guess what I'm trying to say is we aren't in the mix anymore for top PL talent, Rice and Grealish the two most expensive players in the PL for example were snapped up by our rivals and we were never really in the conversation.

Years back, we would routinely break the British transfer record - we haven't even broken our own transfer record for seven years now.

Baxquux

Yeah that's a fair point, I guess what I'm trying to say is we aren't in the mix anymore for top PL talent, Rice and Grealish the two most expensive players in the PL for example were snapped up by our rivals and we were never really in the conversation.

Years back, we would routinely break the British transfer record - we haven't even broken our own transfer record for seven years now.
I think we would have been in the conversation if we had ETH at the time and he was as fixated upon securing Grealish as he clearly was on Antony. Arsenal aren't a 'bigger' or more prestigious club- there've been numerous times, even prior to the end of this season, where Arteta's project has threatened to come off the tracks, plus he's had longer to coach what he has than ETH, whilst the Arsenal ownership have seen all kinds of criticism for relative lack of investment prior to this summer ( blowing 70+ on Pepe notwithstanding). We just have a budget that isn't 'fake' in the same way City's is (not helped by the Glazers, of course), and so we have to be more selective in going in for players. If Ferguson starts hitting Kane levels, come next summer, we would absolutely be in a conversation for him (along with Chelsea, as long as they don't implode again) and maybe Arsenal...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why is this thread so busy? There’s no hope in hell that he’s being sold this summer. He signed a new contract just a few months ago

poleglass red

He's scored 6 goals. I'm not saying sign anyone, but the idea of signing someone who is 18, nearly totally unproven, has not been first choice of any PL side. We don't have another striker, there is a good chance he had a struggle of a season.
valid point, but then again Rooney's goal record at Everton wasn't great, 6 in 33, then 9 in 34. You see something though in certain players, and in Ferguson, he looks like he could be something special. His season last year got disrupted by injury, so it looks like he'll do what Rooney did and give it another season, continue his development, then move on.

Hammondo

valid point, but then again Rooney's goal record at Everton wasn't great, 6 in 33, then 9 in 34. You see something though in certain players, and in Ferguson, he looks like he could be something special. His season last year got disrupted by injury, so it looks like he'll do what Rooney did and give it another season, continue his development, then move on.
Possibly, but with Rooney we didn't spend huge after 6 goals.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we can’t get Kane then I’d be fine with Taremi for 20mil & then wait to analyse the next wave of young strikers in to January or next summer - no one is coming to our club cheap unless they are a complete unknown.

See who is better out of Jiminez, Hojlund, Ferguson and even analyse if it’s better to just take Toney out of Brentford.

I’d rather be near sure paying 80+ mil on a near sure player than 60+m on an unsure one.

ErikElevenHag

Yeah but both the players you mentioned went to clubs who were adding to a squad which were there or there abouts. We are in the middle of serious surgery to our squad. 5 came in last summer. 2 with more expected to come this summer.

We can't really afford to be blowing the majority of our transfer budget on one player with so many glaring holes in the squad as it is.

If we continue to progress and have a squad that can compete and players like rice became available we would absolutely be in the conversation to sign them, it's a consequence of the position we're in that we aren't. We have added a CM and GK for the cost of the rice transfer, I think for the position we are in that's prudent business.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Go for him next summer.

Look at it this way - say he has a good season, he already has a long contract to run, the price will be huge. Being a childhood fan won’t lower that.

Alternatively, say he has an underwhelming season, in which case the fee could be lower than it would’ve been. But then why would Man Utd even want a player who didn’t pull up trees at little Brighton?

BarryWinks

Question for the Brighton fans:

Who becomes the default striker now that Joao Pedro is in the team? Or does this somehow point to a two-striker setup with him and Ferguson? Do they prioritize which of them plays in Europe or the league? What happens to Welbeck and Undav?

Always liked Joao but I've always wondered what his best position is as he's not quite elite as a lone striker, but given most teams play with one upfront, might create a dilemma for De Zerbi.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Question for the Brighton fans:

Who becomes the default striker now that Joao Pedro is in the team? Or does this somehow point to a two-striker setup with him and Ferguson? Do they prioritize which of them plays in Europe or the league? What happens to Welbeck and Undav?

Always liked Joao but I've always wondered what his best position is as he's not quite elite as a lone striker, but given most teams play with one upfront, might create a dilemma for De Zerbi.
honestly, no idea. Pedro has looked absolutely electric in his two pre-season appearances, so most are expecting him to start against Luton in our first game.

RW: March/Adingra/Enciso
LW Mitoma/Adingra/Enciso
10 Pedro/Enciso/Lallana
9 Pedro/Welbeck/Ferguson/Undav

As of now it looks like it’ll be Adingra, Mitoma, Lallana and Pedro.

A lot of people are going to be very impressed with Adingra come January, and I can comfortably predict a thread about him on here.

BarryWinks

Thanks for that @UTAretro

Yeah, I only caught highlights of the Brentford game and Adingra looks a talent. If he can keep up that momentum then I can see him having quite a big season. It's crazy how you seem to have a replacement for most of your front 4 already at the club. Superb planning.

On Ferguson, do you think not playing as much as the hype suggests this season could stall his development?

There are some on here convinced we should have made him our starter upfront this season, yet looks like even Brighton aren't doing that.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

That's because we didn't need Rice or Grealish. Grealish has turned out to be a better player but
we have been following Sancho for couple of years . Rice isn't required when you have Casemiro.

Now, if Kane was available to PL clubs do you think we won't bid ?

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Thanks for that @UTAretro

Yeah, I only caught highlights of the Brentford game and Adingra looks a talent. If he can keep up that momentum then I can see him having quite a big season. It's crazy how you seem to have a replacement for most of your front 4 already at the club. Superb planning.

On Ferguson, do you think not playing as much as the hype suggests this season could stall his development?

There are some on here convinced we should have made him our starter upfront this season, yet looks like even Brighton aren't doing that.
I think Ferguson will get plenty of minutes, with two cups and a Europa League campaign coming up. De Zerbi has never been afraid of making tough calls and dropping players when they aren’t following his instructions or performing at a good enough level. Boring answer but time will tell. If he’s got 7-8 goals by Christmas we’ll have our answer I reckon.

He’s 18 years old, he has all the time in the world, so him not starting immediately isn’t a big deal - lots of learning to do. He looks very promising but the hype on here about him is out of control.

Resch

If we can’t get Kane then I’d be fine with Taremi for 20mil & then wait to analyse the next wave of young strikers in to January or next summer - no one is coming to our club cheap unless they are a complete unknown.

See who is better out of Jiminez, Hojlund, Ferguson and even analyse if it’s better to just take Toney out of Brentford.

I’d rather be near sure paying 80+ mil on a near sure player than 60+m on an unsure one.

We should buy someone like Konate from Salzburg for 20 millions. He will be their next expensive striker. Send him back to Salzburg for 6 months or a year and we will have a great striker for good money. The worst thing could happen, he flops and we sell him for 15 millions...

Redstain

Pedro is going to be productive for Brighton. Amazing that they've signed a player who would walk into this United team up top. His contribution for Watford last season didn't get much recognition for some reason but I'll reckon he'll be one of the top attacking players in the league if he stays injury free.

Gandalf

Assuming the Danish fella has a promising trajectory if we do get him then what's the point in having two prospects in the team, if anything they'll get in each other's way.
If we stick with 1 what happens if that player gets a long term injury or just breaks down because we play 60 games a season and don't have anyone to rotate him with. We need two front line strikers, we are getting one this summer but we absolutely need another as a priority next year even if Rasmus breaks the PL single season goalscoring record. Two players for every position, it is basic squad building principles.

Status
Not open for further replies.