Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If we stick with 1 what happens if that player gets a long term injury or just breaks down because we play 60 games a season and don't have anyone to rotate him with. We need two front line strikers, we are getting one this summer but we absolutely need another as a priority next year even if Rasmus breaks the PL single season goalscoring record. Two players for every position, it is basic squad building principles.
The ideal would be to bring in one veteran alongside the prospect to alleviate some of the pressure from the young lad and teach a few things now whether it's going to be a blockbuster signing like kane or modest one like say taremi is irrelevant and to be seen.

Either way having 2 young prospects at the same time should do us no good, it will hinder both of them and for a team That's supposedly looking to challenge for the title in the near future a very abrasive proposition.

Gandalf

The ideal would be to bring in one veteran alongside the prospect to alleviate some of the pressure from the young lad and teach a few things now whether it's going to be a blockbuster signing like kane or modest one like say taremi is irrelevant and to be seen.

Either way having 2 young prospects at the same time should do us no good, it will hinder both of them and for a team That's supposedly looking to challenge for the title in the near future a very abrasive proposition.
Haaland and Alvarez don't seem to have found it to be a problem at City. I am not against a veteran but honestly I like the idea of two young strikers pushing and challenging one another.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Haaland and Alvarez don't seem to have found it to be a problem at City. I am not against a veteran but honestly I like the idea of two young strikers pushing and challenging one another.
The haaland/Alvarez comparisons are a bit deceiving i think because while both of them are certainly on the younger side haaland before his move to city was anything other than a prospect, he already had one goal a game ratio in both a top 4 league and the Champions League, his numbers simply put were ridiculous so there was zero doubt to whom city's main man was going to be, also Alvarez can be quite versatile as well so that should help even more.

Looking back at Fergie I reckon he always tried to keep a balance between the Influx of the younger players coming in and veterans going out, for example RVN in the early years of Rooney and Ronaldo and when he got the axe we got saha in.

Now we obviously shouldn't always be shackled by our past formulas of success but I genuinely don't think having 2 young prospects at the same time(unless one is extremely precocious which neither hojlund or Ferguson seem to be) has ever worked and to me it sounds extremely counter intuitive.

Hoof the ball

I love how bullish people are on Ferguson. He's played so few minutes overall. Even if he has done relatively well, the sample size is so small as to warrant valid skepticism. Instead, people are already lining up summer transfers on the guy.

Gandalf

The haaland/Alvarez comparisons are a bit deceiving i think because while both of them are certainly on the younger side haaland before his move to city was anything other than a prospect, he already had one goal a game ratio in both a top 4 league and the Champions League, his numbers simply put were ridiculous so there was zero doubt to whom city's main man was going to be, also Alvarez can be quite versatile as well so that should help even more.

Looking back at Fergie I reckon he always tried to keep a balance between the Influx of the younger players coming in and veterans going out, for example RVN in the early years of Rooney and Ronaldo and when he got the axe we got saha in.

Now we obviously shouldn't always be shackled by our past formulas of success but I genuinely don't think having 2 young prospects at the same time(unless one is extremely precocious which neither hojlund or Ferguson seem to be) has ever worked and to me it sounds extremely counter intuitive.
I don't disagree with your view and if we sign Taremi after Hojlund this summer I think that would be smart business too. I think we were hoping to sign a younger player this summer and get Kane on a free next year but it is looking increasingly likely Bayern are going to prevent that from happening. I am just of the opinion that a smart coach like ETH could make it work with two younger prospects if that is what we end up doing.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't disagree with your view and if we sign Taremi after Hojlund this summer I think that would be smart business too. I think we were hoping to sign a younger player this summer and get Kane on a free next year but it is looking increasingly likely Bayern are going to prevent that from happening. I am just of the opinion that a smart coach like ETH could make it work with two younger prospects if that is what we end up doing.
Yeah fair enough, I to trust ten hag to make it work if he so chooses.

He seems to know his way around in making the players give their best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For someone so hyped it’s very annoying to see him hardly start

Redcy

The news that has come out today is that spurs approached Brighton and we’re told he won’t be sold until at least 2026, has a contract until 2028. If you read all the Kane quotes it looks like he had no intention of joining a premier league rival.

Smores

The news that has come out today is that spurs approached Brighton and we’re told he won’t be sold until at least 2026, has a contract until 2028. If you read all the Kane quotes it looks like he had no intention of joining a premier league rival.
I assumed with them bringing in Pedro that they'd prepared to sell Ferguson. Seemed an obvious Kane replacement and may yet be posturing from Brighton.

Hope not as think he could be an option for us in the near future.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I assumed with them bringing in Pedro that they'd prepared to sell Ferguson. Seemed an obvious Kane replacement and may yet be posturing from Brighton.

He’s not going anywhere this season and maybe next, after that he’ll be fair game.

Baxquux

Is this referring to Kane? If so, I'd be decidedly sceptical, particularly since most players will provide a very convenient narrative in their first interviews or even press-briefed anonymized statements about how much they were set on joining the specific club who ended up signing them, how uniquely exciting the project was and all the rest. No intention of joining Arsenal/Chelsea maybe...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s not a viable option for anyone other than oil money clubs. Brighton will want an obscene figure.
A rare time when you’d be better off holding out to see if he’s the real deal or not. I know we usually want to get out ahead of someone exploding onto the scene, but Brighton will want 100m+ either way.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A rare time when you’d be better off holding out to see if he’s the real deal or not. I know we usually want to get out ahead of someone exploding onto the scene, but Brighton will want 100m+ either way.
Yep this.

Need to see him having a full starter number 9 season and then break the money we would need to pay either way.

Baxquux

Yeah, as discussed previously, I'm intrigued to see if Brighton can get ahead of players suddenly demanding that they include release clauses in their contracts just by being so successful that they start making CL anyway. A tall order, but they look increasingly very very well coached and recruited into...

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Yeah, as discussed previously, I'm intrigued to see if Brighton can get ahead of players suddenly demanding that they include release clauses in their contracts just by being so successful that they start making CL anyway. A tall order, but they look increasingly very very well coached and recruited into...
The thing is, the player (and especially his agent!) want to be sold for the highest figure possible. The signing on fee, the wage to match their perceived value and, crucially, the agent/facilitation fee scales with the transfer fee.

Brighton commanding good money for their young players when sold isn’t this massive negative some people perceive. If anything, the pitch would be “well, sign here for £30k a week. In a year’s time you could be sold to one of the best clubs in the world and earn £300k a week. Put in the hard work, show the world your talent and when you’re good enough, top clubs will pay it regardless”.

SAFMUTD

The longer we wait the more expensive he'll get. He's clearly top class just get him ffs.

reddev3

Pedro plays behind him in the number 10. Ferguson plays up top and will be rotating with Welbeck (meaning he will get loads of game time given welbeck likes an injury and the fact they have European games to play for the first time. I don't think they have any intention of letting him go for at least a couple of years.

glasgow 21

Is there something someone wants to tell me ? Is brighton the in place for money laundering ? why is everyone queue up to throw money at them. Here's a thought, do our own work and buy from source. It is still the main thing we are unable to do. Hey here's 10m play for us for a year and he is worth 100m. I am done with being the cash cow that keeps on giving due to the lack of ability and authority from our scouts and transfer team to unearth some gems.

Charlie Foley

We got Saha in January 04

Robbie Boy

Is there something someone wants to tell me ? Is brighton the in place for money laundering ? why is everyone queue up to throw money at them. Here's a thought, do our own work and buy from source. It is still the main thing we are unable to do. Hey here's 10m play for us for a year and he is worth 100m. I am done with being the cash cow that keeps on giving due to the lack of ability and authority from our scouts and transfer team to unearth some gems.
United had him on trial before he joined Brighton and decided not to sign him. He also chose Brighton over Liverpool due to gametime.

Abraxas

Could have a big year. I'm sure he'll be aiming for 15 goals. That would be a great achievement for his age.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep. Just waiting until next summer will likely mean you have over twice as many PL minutes on which to judge him, as opppsed to judging him on the equivalent of less than 11 full PL games last season. When you'd be paying an enormous sum either way, that extra gametime is very valuable. Plus he'll obviously have developed a bit more from the kid De Zerbi feels the need to protect with managed minutes.

Redcy

442 and where are Bruno, Rash, Garnacho and Antony gonna play?! .. we should've just bought Ferguson instead of Hojlund.
Were not selling him unless someone paid stupid money. An you imagine paying 130m for an 18yo

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have signed Hojlund as I think Ferguson is the superior talent; I would have gone for Taremi this summer for £20M (A stop-gap, yes, but a good stop-gap unlike most of our recent stop-gaps) and then gone for Ferguson in 2024.

That said, I think there are ways where Utd *could* sign Ferguson without ruining Hojlund....

1. The comparison to Haaland/Alvarez makes no sense as Haaland is clearly #1 there. Instead, it would make more sense to compare Ferguson/Hojlund to Benzema/Higuain (2009-2013). In four seasons, Benzema made 27, 33, 34, and 30 La Liga appearances (14, 20, 26, and 19 starts) and Higuain made 32, 17, 35, and 28 La Liga appearances (28, 16, 18, and 19 starts). Extend that to the CL and you have Benzema making 32, 41, 45, and 40 appearances (17, 24, 36, and 25 starts) and Higuain making 39, 23, 47, and 37 appearances (34, 21, 23, and 25 starts).

Utd play 38 PL games each season plus somewhere between 1 and 6 games in both the League Cup and the FA Cup. When you consider that the CL group stages are expanding next season, qualification for the CL would mean somewhere between 8 and 17 matches. That would mean Utd could be playing somewhere between 48 and 67 games per season. Let's assume on average that we end up playing around 55 games per season; that would mean that Hojlund and Ferguson could each start 27/28 games across all competitions. When you include international appearances on top of that, they'll likely be starting 35+ times per season. I don't think either will be an ever-present starter this season so such an amount of games wouldn't represent a drop in minutes for either. Plus I'm not sure it'd exactly be a bad thing if minutes for younger players were managed; has Benzema lasted longer because he wasn't used week in, week out during his early years at Real?

2. Famous last words but maybe Hojlund and Ferguson could sometimes play together. Tactical systems go in and out of vogue; who's to say two-striker systems won't come back into regular use? For what it's worth, Hojlund is more of a channel runner whereas Ferguson seems like more of a link-up man; I think there are instances where they could co-exist as a front two (Maybe against deep blocks?).

3. In theory, whilst Ferguson's transfer fee would be astronomical (And Utd didn't exactly get value on Hojlund either), I don't think either would command sky-high wages as this stage in their careers (This reminds me that I don't like how transfer fees are typically covered in the media; they should announce the total package of transfer fee + wages as that will be what the club is actually paying, not just the transfer fee). This makes them easier to sell on; we've seen ourselves with Harry Maguire and Anthony Martial that high wages can be big impediments to transfers out of the club. Like Benzema and Higuain, we could let the two of them battle it out and if push comes to shove, we sell the inferior player. If both are successes, we'll likely make back a lot of the money we spent; Real spent €41M on Benzema in Summer 2009 and €12M on Higuain in January 2007 before selling Higuain for €40M. On balance, I'd say that Real would have been very happy with how it all worked out. Of course transfer fees are now higher so us buying strikers will cost more than what Benzema and Higuain did but at the same time, we can also sell at a higher price and the market doesn't exactly seem to be inundated with top-quality strikers of a relatively good age.

Reactions: Fortitude

redsunited

As the other poster said, it is words of convenience to keep fans onside. If he had a season like Mane, next summer he will be back to PL.
It would be interesting to see the development of Evan Ferguson. I wish United get a player like him to share mins with Hojlund.

bringbackbebe

If a non goal scoring midfielder like Caicedo goes for 115m, can't see Brighton selling the hottest prospect since Kane go for less than 140 unless the dynamics change. Terrific player, hope we get him sometime in the future but its beyond us.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That was some cameo from Ferguson. Brighton gonna get crazy money for him next summer
How long can Brighton keep hollowing out its starting 11 or squad?

I remember not long ago, the top clubs were cannibalising Southampton -- and the same time, everyone was praising their recruitment team for the ability to unearth so much talent... just like what they are saying about Brighton now.

It's a risky business to strip out so much so soon. They may land up like Southampton in the near future.

Jam

How long can Brighton keep hollowing out its starting 11 or squad?

I remember not long ago, the top clubs were cannibalising Southampton -- and the same time, everyone was praising their recruitment team for the ability to unearth so much talent... just like what they are saying about Brighton now.

It's a risky business to strip out so much so soon. They may land up like Southampton in the near future.
It is absolutely a time bomb but at the same time Brighton aren’t just a selling club; they’re actively trying to build something.

They have a strong structure in place, are essentially moneyballing, and to be fair to them are actively trying to keep players. It’s not as if at the first time of asking or seeing offers they’re off-loading. They’re selling players when they receive irresistible offers.

I would say it is different to Southampton who just relied on some good scouting and a good academy and didn’t seem to actually be doing anything specific in terms of the club overall.

But I do agree it will be almost impossible for Brighton to build on their peak last year, it’s one thing to maintain a level with a revolving door it’s another thing to actually improve when now they’re knocking on the door of the next level but losing 2-3 key players.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It is absolutely a time bomb but at the same time Brighton aren’t just a selling club; they’re actively trying to build something.

They have a strong structure in place, are essentially moneyballing, and to be fair to them are actively trying to keep players. It’s not as if at the first time of asking or seeing offers they’re off-loading. They’re selling players when they receive irresistible offers.

I would say it is different to Southampton who just relied on some good scouting and a good academy and didn’t seem to actually be doing anything specific in terms of the club overall.

But I do agree it will be almost impossible for Brighton to build on their peak last year, it’s one thing to maintain a level with a revolving door it’s another thing to actually improve when now they’re knocking on the door of the next level but losing 2-3 key players.
Let's see. Moneyball isn't an exact science either. Hallowing out their midfield in one summer (or 12 months if you include Trossard) is suicidal.

I thought they were lucky with Welbeck being relatively very available last season.

I like Joao Pedro and thought we should have bought him a couple of years ago. But he is still 21 and thats a lot of pressure to put on him.

I am not saying they are now relegation fodder. But it will jeopardise their steady upward trajectory.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
In terms of cost, I think people should be careful when using Caicedo's transfer fee as the base for Ferguson's hypothetical transfer fee. Caicedo went for £115M because Rice went for £105M; Brighton saw West Ham selling for that much and thought that Caicedo was worth as much if not slightly more. Now it's a bit funny because Rice's fee also included a bit of English Tax; had he not been English, I'd have thought his transfer fee would have been more like £85M. So really, whoever ends up buying Caicedo will end up paying English tax even though he's not English!

But on that note, Brighton will sell Ferguson for a little bit more than what the market-setting rate is. Now Brighton have PL money in a way Atalanta don't so he was always going to be more expensive than Hojlund but Hojlund's fee should set the base here. That would make you think that, assuming Brighton ease Ferguson in rather than starting him week after week, his fee would be no lower than £100M and no higher than £120M. Yes, Ferguson plays in a premium position compared to Caicedo but at the same time, Caicedo was a regular in a way Ferguson likely won't be this season.

Woziak

If this kid get 20PL goals this season, Brighton will be asking for £125-150m, we should be all over this now or January, a cheeky £75m bid and play on the fact that he’s a united fan. The longer we wait on this one the more expensive it will be, either get Evan or go get Benjamin Sesko to join Hojlund we have one, we need to add either one of the other two to sort the number 9 out for next decade!

Status
Not open for further replies.