Even Rooney is not safe from being dropped - Mourinho

nick2004

Not quite but i'm sure he has said something similar. I really dislike Scholes and Ferdinand when it comes the their punditry on Rooney, they refuse to criticise him. I actually thought Ferdinand might be the type of person to be honest in his assessment of Rooney but I was wrong.
Ferdinand is honest in his assessment, but yes, you are wrong. ;)

nick2004

Given the guy is a total assists and scoring machine, scoring 23 goals and assisting 26 times in 52 games last season(basically contributed 49 times in his 52 games played), I'd trust him to put far better numbers than Rooney in that same role, especially given I'm not expecting him to break down most of our attacks going forward with sloppy passing and bad touches.
But did he have more assists than Kagawa?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not quite but i'm sure he has said something similar. I really dislike Scholes and Ferdinand when it comes the their punditry on Rooney, they refuse to criticise him. I actually thought Ferdinand might be the type of person to be honest in his assessment of Rooney but I was wrong.
An what makes it worse is how quick they are to jump on other players when having mediocre games yet won't even entertain the idea of pointing out Rooney's mediocrity. Bunch of cowards and hypocrites, worst kind out there.

nick2004

An what makes it worse is how quick they are to jump on other players when having mediocre games yet won't even entertain the idea of pointing out Rooney's mediocrity. Bunch of cowards and hypocrites, worst kind out there.
If that's your opinion on the class of 92, I'm curious: what is your opinion on Mourinho?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
To be honest, I think pretty much everyone here would shut up if he manages to keep the 1 goal/assist per game ratio halfway into the season (even against "relatively normal sides", which is about 14/20 teams in the league). It's obviously very unlikely that will happen though based on how he's performed so far during the majority of the matches. However, Mkhitaryan or Mata putting up better numbers than that ratio is equally as unlikely (the player must be having a really special season for that to happen).

Of course, that leads to the question of who then is more likely to put up better numbers over the course of the season, and the logical answer would be to look at the general performances of the individuals where Mkhitaryan certainly comes out on top (although he has had very little playing time so perhaps it would be wise not to judge him too early similarly to Rooney either).
You really think it's ok to keep someone in the side just because they get a goal/assist when for most of the game they are giving the ball away, not completing passes, breaking up play etc., when you have players who could contribute more for the whole 90 minutes thus vastly improving our chances of getting more goals and killing off games more comprehensively and quickly?

friend

You really think it's ok to keep someone in the side just because they get a goal/assist when for most of the game they are giving the ball away, not completing passes, breaking up play etc., when you have players who could contribute more for the whole 90 minutes thus vastly improving our chances of getting more goals and killing off games more comprehensively and quickly?
In the Premier League (where even the top teams don't often post crazy high scoring records like Real, Barca, etc.), if you tell me someone will score or assist every match with a 100% guarantee then I'd play him in every match regardless of what they do in the rest of the match. I'd certainly take him over a player who could do better but where there is no surety. Again, as I mentioned, you'd need to be having one hell of a season to average more than a goal/assist per game throughout the season.

Now of course, there actually isn't a 100% guarantee that Rooney will do that, so I would consider him for selection based on his overall performance. And looking at the season so far, they absolutely haven't been good enough. They haven't been good enough for at least a couple of seasons now but lets also wait for Mkhitaryan to play a little bit more before judging him (early signs are very promising and he should get more chances in place of Rooney who is one of his competition for places).

tomaldinho1

Martial is a great player having a bad patch

Rooney was a great player having a good patch
Martial could be a great player but is having a normal patch

Rooney was a world class player having an average 3rd season in a row...

I don't think anyone on the caf wants to criticise Rooney but his performances have been bang average. The problem for him now is that Miki looks the real deal (although too early to know) and he is under serious pressure. Maybe that's what he needs to find his drive again - pretty much been guaranteed a starting spot since Ferguson left

Hercules

In the Premier League (where even the top teams don't often post crazy high scoring records like Real, Barca, etc.), if you tell me someone will score or assist every match with a 100% guarantee then I'd play him in every match regardless of what they do in the rest of the match. I'd certainly take him over a player who could do better but where there is no surety. Again, as I mentioned, you'd need to be having one hell of a season to average more than a goal/assist per game throughout the season.

Now of course, there actually isn't a 100% guarantee that Rooney will do that, so I would consider him for selection based on his overall performance. And looking at the season so far, they absolutely haven't been good enough. They haven't been good enough for at least a couple of seasons now but lets also wait for Mkhitaryan to play a little bit more before judging him (early signs are very promising and he should get more chances in place of Rooney who is one of his competition for places).
You're contradicting yourself, playing it safe. Well done!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think what's happening here is that the past few years we haven't played with a real threat upfront thus dulling the perception from some people on how much of a threat a 10 in a top team has to be. This nonsense of being OK with a player occupying one of the most central attacking role in our team to deliver these 1 assist stats per game after bad performances overall seen as normal is born from that(people got used to mediocrity upfront the past few years).

We've had Rooney as our 10 for years now and he's been performing averagely for about 3 years now(this is a fact whether some people want to accept it or not) and it seems like people have forgotten what a central attacking player to one of the favorite teams to win a league is supposed to really bring to the table.

Top teams are centered around dangerous players who put in heavy numbers and contribution. Rooney being given one of the most central role in our attack should be delivering big numbers and improve our overall play and attacking threat, not pop in assists here and there than call it a decent performance and everyone is happy.

We've got better player itching to take Rooney's role(Mhki) and he'll produce better number than Rooney with the added advantage of improving our play overall.

Sometimes I sit wondering what would be people reactions on here if someone like Mhki or a proper 10 was given a run in Rooney's position with the same amount of patience, produces far better numbers than Rooney ever managed in his past 3 mediocre seasons. I can just imagine people imagining "what's this sorcery" since people have become used and accustomed to mediocre numbers from their number 10 in here and think they are some sort of noteworthy feats.

friend

You're contradicting yourself, playing it safe. Well done!
Where's the contradiction? My original comment was just a reply to the person who said Mkhitaryan would have produced better numbers (better than a goal/assist per match) if he had played instead of Rooney, which is something that I find hard to believe. And then I said that since Rooney doesn't actually guarantee a goal/assist per game, we should look at overall performance and thus Mkhitaryan should play instead.

HoopsMcCann

Loyalty not one of your top qualities, eh?

Rio/Scholes hypocrites and cowards.....you better NEVER complain if a player asks for a transfer or higher wages.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Loyalty not one of your top qualities, eh?

Rio/Scholes hypocrites and cowards.....you better NEVER complain if a player asks for a transfer or higher wages.
What are you on about?

And yes they are cowards. Scholes last year(or was it 2 years ago) when he just started his punditry tried to have a go at Rooney and scrutinized his performance but was met with a bit of a backlash(from Rooney as well) and since then he's never dared questioned Rooney ever again. That's cowardice, they bullied him, then he quietly and pathetically joined in line with all these hypocritical journalists and co's script on what to say about England's captain in the media.

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho must be lying. The Caf told me Rooney had a clause!

Nahh, but seriously... professionals who play with Rooney all rate him for his competitiveness. Just look at the Park thread. Rooney simply tries harder, works longer and cares more than anybody else on the pitch. Football Manager doesn't capture that, which means Redcafe is blind to a lot of his qualities.

stevoc

Given the guy is a total assists and scoring machine, scoring 23 goals and assisting 26 times in 52 games last season(basically contributed 49 times in his 52 games played), I'd trust him to put far better numbers than Rooney in that same role, especially given I'm not expecting him to break down most of our attacks going forward with sloppy passing and bad touches.
He got the vast majority of those goals and assists from the wing though, which is where i think and hope he will play for us. If Rooney is dropped i would like to see Mata or Rashford take his place personally.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He got the vast majority of those goals and assists from the wing though, which is where i think and hope he will play for us. If Rooney is dropped i would like to see Mata or Rashford take his place personally.
Dortmund system allowed him to play more centrally than what one would expect from a winger. The line ups might have shown him starting on the wing with Reus and Audameyang centrally(or Reus on the other wing depending how they field their line up) but he'd play centrally anyways.

Anyways I was just making a point of what a player like Mhki could do at that 10 role compared to Rooney and what sort of numbers he might have been able to pull comparatively, not necessarily saying he can't start from the wing and drift inside.

Green_Red

As long as we're winning non of us can question his team selection.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yes and no. We all see what's going well and what not. If he continues to play a player out of form, of course we complain. And whilst we are doing much better than last season, there is still a lot to improve. Luckily for Rooney, he has the numbers and a golden assist, but that shouldnt cover his general poor play

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scoring goals is the most difficult thing in football. We've scored 6 in the league, he's got one and made two more, so so far he's doing well. It won't last, but as it stands, there's no reason to drop him.
Have you not seen the games? I've been a Rooney fan since his Everton debut but the rubbish he is serving up just now no way merits a starting place.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Have you not seen the games? I've been a Rooney fan since his Everton debut but the rubbish he is serving up just now no way merits a starting place.
There's no point arguing with the Rooney defence squad anymore. They've set their stall out that while he grabs a goal or an assist that's good enough. I want to hear their excuses when his luck dries up, he won't continue this forever. If his general play doesn't pick up in the mean time there will be no excuses but to replace him.

Murray3007

I am one of the Rooney out people on the cafe, but hes making a difference in the games so far, scored v Bournmouth, assists in both Southampton and Hull games, his build up play needs to improve alot,as can only feel that it wont be long before Mkhitaryan has to start after seeing his cameo roles.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
There's no point arguing with the Rooney defence squad anymore. They've set their stall out that while he grabs a goal or an assist that's good enough. I want to hear their excuses when his luck dries up, he won't continue this forever. If his general play doesn't pick up in the mean time there will be no excuses but to replace him.
I've yet to see anyone here who claims that if he gets a goal or assist that's good enough.

Even people who defend him (me included) claim he should be dropped, or be bench option since we have better players waiting for their chance (Mkhitaryan, Rashford) but that doesn't mean I should be angry because he scored or assisted goal that helped United win yet some posters do exactly that. I don't have problem with people who say he's not good enough, that's plain obvious to see, but with those who would rather see him fail than contribute something that benefits United.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think what's happening here is that the past few years we haven't played with a real threat upfront thus dulling the perception from some people on how much of a threat a 10 in a top team has to be. This nonsense of being OK with a player occupying one of the most central attacking role in our team to deliver these 1 assist stats per game after bad performances overall seen as normal is born from that(people got used to mediocrity upfront the past few years).
Yeah, this.

Probably the best way to view it is to look around at the teams that United are either rivals with, or aspire to the level of, and then look at their number 10s...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've yet to see anyone here who claims that if he gets a goal or assist that's good enough.

Even people who defend him (me included) claim he should be dropped, or be bench option since we have better players waiting for their chance (Mkhitaryan, Rashford) but that doesn't mean I should be angry because he scored or assisted goal that helped United win yet some posters do exactly that. I don't have problem with people who say he's not good enough, that's plain obvious to see, but with those who would rather see him fail than contribute something that benefits United.
Lots of people have unfortunately, they are happy with his poor play as long as he contributes.

I have nothing personal against Rooney, I would love it if he played like the Rooney of old. I wouldn't even care if he didn't score as long as he was making the team better and helping us score more goals in general. I just feel he lacks the ability to run with the ball, he rarely takes on his man and has some of the slowest feet around. He just doesn't scare defences anymore. Rashford is the better striker for the team these days. It's no coincidence that under LVG we scored more goals with him in the team, than with Rooney up front. We've now replaced Rooney in midfield with Pogba, he should be benched.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sir Clive Woodward: "Wayne Rooney is wrong to announce retirement date - England should be about the team rather than individuals"

I’m trying to think the best of England football because I really believe Sam Allardyce can pull it around but my heart sank a little when Wayne Rooney announced he would retire from international football in 2018 after the World Cup in Russia.

Wrong time, wrong message, muddy thinking. Sam had just reappointed Rooney as his captain and what I wanted to hear from the England skipper was some upbeat positivity about Sunday’s tricky game against Slovakia and a warm welcome and words of advice for the new guys in the squad.

One of the big problems with England is that those concerned sometimes forget it is a team sport and there is no ‘I’ in team. They will live and fall by their collective effort. No individual, and his fate, is ever bigger than the team. It’s what some people term ‘teamship’ and as Rooney stepped back into the limelight again it should have been all about England.

I also have other issues with all this. For me it’s a curious thought process for sportsmen to announce their retirements at some future, often remote, date. If you have reached a pinnacle late in your career, I understand a player announcing their immediate retirement from international sport — like Martin Johnson captaining England to the 2003 Rugby World Cup. But to set that date in stone ahead of a long World Cup qualifying process and hopefully the World Cup itself just feels a bit odd. It’s about the individual not the team and that’s never right. It also implies a little subliminal pressure for the manager to pick Rooney at all times, a player Sam has already backed with the captaincy.

Rooney, 30, is a gifted and experienced player and I genuinely hope for England’s sake he enjoys an Indian summer to his career which takes him all the way through to Russia but if his form or motivation drops then Sam must ruthlessly drop him. That could happen at any time. He could be gone by Christmas.
(Daily Mail)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sir Clive Woodward is a hater and has an agenda.
Am I doing it right?

Born2Lose

Sir Clive Woodward is a hater and has an agenda.
Am I doing it right?
You missed the part about him not liking scousers, but every other box ticked. All the typical traits of an anti-Roonite.

His comments are 100% right of course, but what does a world cup winning manager know about how team motivation.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes and no. We all see what's going well and what not. If he continues to play a player out of form, of course we complain. And whilst we are doing much better than last season, there is still a lot to improve. Luckily for Rooney, he has the numbers and a golden assist, but that shouldnt cover his general poor play
Team selection will always wind fans up. Even with the mighty SAF in charge, I reckon the XI he picked in the majority of fixtures involved at least one decision which most people on here would disagree with.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
(Daily Mail)
Nice to see someone whose well respected having these thoughts.
Unfortunately, coming from a rugby background, I doubt he understands how footballers roll - there's no 'team' in most footballers heads.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I notice amost everyone has Martial in their team v City. Think he has been our poorest player so far last 3 matches. He is the one who should be dropped.
I still think Martial will start. Think the only change will be Mkhitaryan or Rashford for Mata. City's formation leaves a lot of space on both flanks and Mourinho will want to exploit that.
As for Rooney, he doesn't deserve to be dropped for City and he won't be.

dichinero

Nice to see someone whose well respected having these thoughts.
Unfortunately, coming from a rugby background, I doubt he understands how footballers roll - there's no 'team' in most footballers heads.
Harry Redknapp has made a similar comment regarding Rooney too and he makes a good point too!

Green_Red

Team selection will always wind fans up. Even with the mighty SAF in charge, I reckon the XI he picked in the majority of fixtures involved at least one decision which most people on here would disagree with.
I agree but its hard to question someone that successful when they get results. We might not like it but as long as we're winning its hard to. I felt Rooney showed an improvement over the last 3 games when you compare them yo some of the performances last year. Id like to think that the new signings will breathe a bit of new life into him and he might have a bit of a resurgence but I hoped that last year too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree but its hard to question someone that successful when they get results. We might not like it but as long as we're winning its hard to. I felt Rooney showed an improvement over the last 3 games when you compare them yo some of the performances last year. Id like to think that the new signings will breathe a bit of new life into him and he might have a bit of a resurgence but I hoped that last year too.
Aye, I'm in the same boat as you. He's started slowly in almost every single season in his United career, as he clearly allows his fitness drop over the summer more than most other players and it's previously proven to be the right decision to allow himself play himself into form by giving him games his early season form doesn't deserve (whether his sluggish starts are acceptable from our most highly paid player is a different discussion entirely!)

Will Absolute

Yes, we can. The idea that grabbing the occasional goal or assist in the middle of bad performances should be enough to keep him in the team is setting the bar way too low. RvN was a goal machine, and a very good player besides, but that didn't satisfy Fergie.

Rooney is unambitious and uncreative in a role demanding ambition and creativity. He loses the ball where we need to keep it, slows us down when we need to speed up, plays it safe instead of taking a risk, passes the responsibility of making things happen to other players when he should be doing it himself.

For my money Mourinho is firing a shot across Rooney's bow: "Get off your duff (apologies to @duffer. I'm not suggesting there's anything going on between you two) and earn your place in the team, or face the consequences"

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yes, we can. The idea that grabbing the occasional goal or assist in the middle of bad performances should be enough to keep him in the team is setting the bar way too low. RvN was a goal machine, and a very good player besides, but that didn't satisfy Fergie.

Rooney is unambitious and uncreative in a role demanding ambition and creativity. He loses the ball where we need to keep it, slows us down when we need to speed up, plays it safe instead of taking a risk, passes the responsibility of making things happen to other players when he should be doing it himself.

For my money Mourinho is firing a shot across Rooney's bow: "Get off your duff (apologies to @duffer. I'm not suggesting there's anything going on between you two) and earn your place in the team, or face the consequences"
I agree with most of this.

If supporters can't discuss or question the team selection of a manager, what would be the point of a forum?