Ever Banega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Anyone remember him from the CL matches against us? How well did he play?
Played once against us shortly after coming back from injury in the 1-1. He was decent, Valencia's best midfielder on the day but nothing to write home about. He didnt regain his form till the second half of the season

I had found a nice video of his individual highlights of that match but uefa blocked it so it no longer works :mad: Anderson outshone him on the night though. Perhaps Anderson's best performance of the season

Mainoldo

Yeah, I think Sanchez is a more likely Sneijder replacement, Banega will take the place of either Cambiasso or Motta.
Ever is better on the ball than both players mentioned. He will replace Sneijder's distribution. However losing Sneijder and getting Ever and Sanchez is good business to me also gives them a different style of play.

Devil may care

Banega urges Valencia verdict | Sky Sports | Football | Primera Division | News

Ever Banega has urged Valencia to confirm if they plan to sell him this summer.

The Argentinian midfielder has been linked with Italian sides Inter Milan and Roma, while there is also interest in England.

But Banega, who turns 23 this month, still has two years left on his contract and one of his representatives, Mono Romero, insists he would be happy to stay at the Mestella.

"We want a formal decision from Valencia on a sale or not this summer," Romero told Valencian newspaper Superdeporte.

"It is necessary to find out the position of the club because it is Banega's initial plan to remain there. Ever has signed for another two years at Valencia and is happy there."

Valencia signed Banega from Boca Juniors for €18million (£16m) in January 2008 and it is believed they would be willing to sell if they receive an offer of around €9m (£8m).

But any potential move will be put on hold until after next month's Copa America, in which he is set to feature for hosts Argentina.

"There is interest from an Italian and English club but we do not want to advance with this at the moment," Romero added, who said there is yet to be any dialogue between Banega's agents and his club.

Clique

Liverpool probably.
Isn't he a bit good?. My entire knowledge of the kid is from 2 or 3 youtube videos, so i can't say i know much. But from what i've read, the kid is quite good and is young too.[Muppetry] At 8m (if the article is to be believed), wouldn't he be quite a good signing?. [/muppetry]

Seeing as Liverpool have already bought Henderson for their midfield, i don't think they'd be in for another midfielder to be honest. Us on the other hand, are still in the market and this kid isn't far from our profile Young, Talented with scope for improvement!.

Mainoldo

Isn't he a bit good?. My entire knowledge of the kid is from 2 or 3 youtube videos, so i can't say i know much. But from what i've read, the kid is quite good and is young too.[Muppetry] At 8m (if the article is to be believed), wouldn't he be quite a good signing?. [/muppetry]

Seeing as Liverpool have already bought Henderson for their midfield, i don't think they'd be in for another midfielder to be honest. Us on the other hand, are still in the market and this kid isn't far from our profile Young, Talented with scope for improvement!.
Pool where interested in him last year which makes me say them. They do seem stacked in the middle at the minute but he would probably be an upgrade to Lucus.

As far as how good he is... Well Ekeke rates him better than Maradona. I feel he has great ability but don't think for the type of player he is, he is ready for a team like United I can see him getting lost in the middle.

Mainoldo

Please elaborate
His game is based on taking control of the midfield and what ever team he plays for that will be his job. However doing it at Valencia is a massive difference to being relied on to do it at United. I feel what we would expect from him he would come short. Basically he would be another version of Anderson (form wise, not in style). Just my personal opinion.

Ekeke

So they bought him for 16m and he's looked good whenever he's played and they'll be willing to sell him for 8m? Hmm..
Yeah just a weird story that came out that keeps getting recycled. Valencia in fact decided not to sell him 2 summers ago when he hadnt proven anything at Valencia yet, because they wouldnt get back what they paid for him at the time (quotes from the president). 2 seasons on and for much of that time he's been their best performer and 8 million euros will do it... Err okay. If you say so.

Ekeke

His game is based on taking control of the midfield and what ever team he plays for that will be his job. However doing it at Valencia is a massive difference to being relied on to do it at United. I feel what we would expect from him he would come short. Basically he would be another version of Anderson (form wise, not in style). Just my personal opinion.
Expectations would be higher at United than when he plays for Argentina alongside Messi?

He'd have a tougher time at United among top players than he would have playing for Valencia against the likes of Barcelona and Madrid where he's performed very well?

Cant see any of this

Polaroid

Agree with the bolded portion.
However, since Batista took over, Banega has performed that role for the Argentinean senior side like duck to water, in games against the likes of Spain, Brazil and Portugal.
IMO, he has the ability and temperament to handle the demands and pressure of performing for a top club. The question marks over him would be
1) whether he can knuckle down and adhere to the exemplary standards of professionalism demanded at United by SAF
2) whether he can make the step up in terms of delivering consistently
At the price being bandied around (8 million), I would say he is well worth the gamble. Even at double that amount, I would take the plunge.

Ekeke

I will go on record as saying he'll cost at least 27 million euros / £24 million which is what City paid for David Silva. The 8 million figure is so far off the mark its silly

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Huh? So a guy who has established himself consistently over a couple of seasons, not only in Spain, but for a top international team like Argentina, is suddenly going to lose form and start playing poorly due to the incredible pressure put on him by the annually sporadic and often very average performances of Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson?

Yeah right! :confused:

Anderson has never had any consistent form since his very first season, Fletcher has had 2 good seasons out of the last 5. Carrick only plays well for about 20 games every season, if that since his first season.

How are these players going to overwhelm a top quality all round midfielder like Banega?

Some of you seem to think that quality players somehow have to undergo some type of mental transformation, simply to be able to play for Utd. It just baffles me, it really does.

What on earth do you base your logic upon for that very strange theory?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Agree with the bolded portion.
However, since Batista took over, Banega has performed that role for the Argentinean senior side like duck to water, in games against the likes of Spain, Brazil and Portugal.
IMO, he has the ability and temperament to handle the demands and pressure of performing for a top club. The question marks over him would be
1) whether he can knuckle down and adhere to the exemplary standards of professionalism demanded at United by SAF
2) whether he can make the step up in terms of delivering consistently
At the price being bandied around (8 million), I would say he is well worth the gamble. Even at double that amount, I would take the plunge.
You mean like our current midfielders? :angel:

Mainoldo

Huh? So a guy who has established himself consistently over a couple of seasons, not only in Spain, but for a top international team like Argentina, is suddenly going to lose form and start playing poorly due to the incredible pressure put on him by the annually sporadic and often very average performances of Carrick, Fletcher and Anderson?

Yeah right! :confused:

Anderson has never had any consistent form since his very first season, Fletcher has had 2 good seasons out of the last 5. Carrick only plays well for about 20 games every season, if that since his first season.

How are these players going to overwhelm a top quality all round midfielder like Banega?

Some of you seem to think that quality players somehow have to undergo some type of mental transformation, simply to be able to play for Utd. It just baffles me, it really does.

What on earth do you base your logic upon for that very strange theory?
Yes the same player that failed at Atletico 2 seasons ago and was dropped half way through last season for bad form. It's inevitable. Yeah great he plays good for Argentina so did/does Elano and Lucus for Brazil. Stupidness aside I'm just saying it's a different kind of temperament playing for a real top side and i just think he's not mature enough at the moment for the type of player he is. It's not that far fetched.

Do i have to list the amount of talented players that have failed at 'Big' clubs are shall i leave you to mull on it??

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Yes the same player that failed at Atletico 2 seasons ago and was dropped half way through last season for bad form. It's inevitable. Yeah great he plays good for Argentina so did/does Elano and Lucus for Brazil. Stupidness aside I'm just saying it's a different kind of temperament playing for a real top side and i just think he's not mature enough at the moment for the type of player he is. It's not that far fetched.

Do i have to list the amount of talented players that have failed at 'Big' clubs are shall i leave you to mull on it??
You may as well, i might be a while replying though, i will be compiling my list of talented foreigners who have flourished at 'Big' clubs! :p

What i can not understand is how you can look at Banega and not think he has more individual attributes than any of our current crop of central midfielders and how he could possibly be any more inconsistent?

Mainoldo

You may as well, i might be a while replying though, i will be compiling my list of talented foreigners who have flourished at 'Big' clubs! :p

What i can not understand is how you can look at Banega and not think he has more individual attributes than any of our current crop of central midfielders and how he could possibly be any more inconsistent?
Never questioned his attributes. I just think he isn't ready for us at this moment in time and we aren't ready for him. He won't take control of our midfield like we want him too and will go missing on too much actions. Which right now is not what we want from our new central midfielder.

Ekeke

Yes the same player that failed at Atletico 2 seasons ago and was dropped half way through last season for bad form.
bs, I watched his every game for Atletico. Atletico brought in a new manager who favoured playing Spanish players and an on loan Argentine the club doesnt even own and brought in by a previous manager is going to get few if any chances. Atletico used him off the bench as an impact substitute and he often made a big impact, usually being the one who suddenly changed the game and made it look like Aguero or Forlan might get on the scoresheet. But that didnt change the fact he is Argentine and wasnt an Atletico player. He wasnt going to be given lots of favours like Raul Garcia.

It's inevitable. Yeah great he plays good for Argentina so did/does Elano and Lucus for Brazil. Stupidness aside I'm just saying it's a different kind of temperament playing for a real top side and i just think he's not mature enough at the moment for the type of player he is. It's not that far fetched.
Its baseless.

Sure list all the talented players who failed at big clubs, then list all the talented players who succeeded at big clubs and we can do a compare and contrast

Mainoldo

bs, I watched his every game for Atletico. Atletico brought in a new manager who favoured playing Spanish players and an on loan Argentine the club doesnt even own and brought in by a previous manager is going to get few if any chances. Atletico used him off the bench as an impact substitute and he often made a big impact, usually being the one who suddenly changed the game and made it look like Aguero or Forlan might get on the scoresheet. But that didnt change the fact he is Argentine and wasnt an Atletico player. He wasnt going to be given lots of favours like Raul Garcia.

Its baseless.

Sure list all the talented players who failed at big clubs, then list all the talented players who succeeded at big clubs and we can do a compare and contrast
It's like you guys just don't want to hear what I'm saying. I'm not questioning his talent.... His just not ready to play for us. Simply put he would have to play ahead of Carrick and at this moment in time Carrick is a better player.

Ekeke

It's like you guys just don't want to hear what I'm saying. I'm not questioning his talent.... His just not ready to play for us. Simply put he would have to play ahead of Carrick and at this moment in time Carrick is a better player.
He's not. And he could play next to Carrick. He could play next to Anderson. He could play next to Fletcher. Or he could play next to any 2 of those plus Giggs.

You are simply coming up with limitations which dont actually exist. He's ready to play against the best midfields in the world, so he's ready to improve our midfield

We're talking about a player who a year ago was Valencia's player of the season. Thats with David Villa - Spain's best ever striker and David Silva there. And although he wont be the favourite, he has a chance of being their player of the season this year as well due to his form in the second half of the season. More likely to be Mata though

Point is we arent talking about a young talent who might come good and compete with top players. We're talking about someone who has already done that

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
He's not. And he could play next to Carrick. He could play next to Anderson. He could play next to Fletcher. Or he could play next to any 2 of those plus Giggs.

You are simply coming up with limitations which dont actually exist. He's ready to play against the best midfields in the world, so he's ready to improve our midfield

We're talking about a player who a year ago was Valencia's player of the season. Thats with David Villa - Spain's best ever striker and David Silva there. And although he wont be the favourite, he has a chance of being their player of the season this year as well due to his form in the second half of the season. More likely to be Mata though

Point is we arent talking about a young talent who might come good and compete with top players. We're talking about someone who has already done that
I completely agree. I believe he can play next to any of or current crop and perform whatever role is asked of him, whoever his central partner.

If he plays with Giggs or Anderson, he can easily fulfil a Carrick type role. If he plays alongside Carrick or Fletcher he can comfortably contribute further forward. In my view it is his wide range of attributes which i feel would be of most benefit to our midfield.

Banega also would allow his potential partner to concentrate more upon what they do best, as opposed to often finding themselves performing tasks they do not do anywhere near as well. He could bring out the best in the other midfielders is my point. Banega and an in form Anderson could be
potentially great.

We do not presently have a player that can do a bit of everything, or would be so comfortable while fulfilling the variety of roles that 2 in the middle demands. Banega could provide us great variety in our choice of pairings and i could easily imagine him quickly becoming a very important player.

MalteseRedDevil

He is the type of playmaker I think we are looking for.

Most seem to believe that the manager is looking for an attacking midfielder which is of course a possibility. But i think the manager is looking for a play maker who plays deeper.

Polaroid

You mean like our current midfielders? :angel:
Our current midfielders would also have to make the step up and deliver consistently.
Banega on his day is one hell of a player, better than any of our existing midfielders. What is needed to take him to the top echelon is to reproduce that at least seven times out of ten and elevate his bottom level of performance such that even when he is having his worst games, he can still keep our midfield engine humming. If he can do that, he will easily be one of the top midfielders in the game.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Our current midfielders would also have to make the step up and deliver consistently.
I'm not convinced any of our current midfielders apart from Anderson have the capability to improve that much tbh. These players have been playing together regularly in one variation or another since 2007, and yet we still cannot find a consistently effective, complimentary pairing.

If Anderson could find some consistent form, he and Carrick have shown glimpses of being potentially very good. For me Banega is already the type of player Carrick should have become, if he had some balls! Though Banega still has the time and potential to become much, much better.

Banega on his day is one hell of a player, better than any of our existing midfielders. What is needed to take him to the top echelon is to reproduce that at least seven times out of ten and elevate his bottom level of performance such that even when he is having his worst games, he can still keep our midfield engine humming. If he can do that, he will easily be one of the top midfielders in the game.
Now that's what i call an objective assessment! Absolutely spot on mate! :)

DFreshKing

Why isn't there more muppeteering on this guy?

Looks very good to me and more importantly exactly what the team needs. Any info on his position on a move or any buyout clauses etc..

If we are playing a midfield 3

Carrick/Jones (Future)
Benega Anderson

Potential?

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Why isn't there more muppeteering on this guy?

Looks very good to me and more importantly exactly what the team needs. Any info on his position on a move or any buyout clauses etc..

If we are playing a midfield 3

Carrick/Jones (Future)
Benega Anderson

Potential?
Time for a 'Los Che starlet dreams of United' campaign?

Ekeke

If he was playing in the premier league or for Barcelona or Madrid, the muppeteering would be through the roof. Rabid.

But he's not.

More and more people will see him shining for Argentina, but most likely by the time most of the caf have seen him play he'll already be at another big side and we wont have a hope of signing him.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been watching him week after week for a good 3 seasons now and my opinion is that he's good enough to play next to Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher or even Giggs in a midfield 2 let alone the possibilities of playing in a midfield 3.

And the reason I say that is that I've seen him play incredibly well in a deep midfield 2 next to Marchena and Albelda. But last season I also saw him play very well in a midfield 3.

He ticks all the boxes and he's something special. We arent going to be lucky enough to sign Iniesta or Fabregas and we didnt get Sahin this summer. We should be all over this guy because in a couple of years, these are going to be the 4 midfielders everyone is drooling over.

I think it'll take about £24 million to sign him, which is what it cost to sign David Silva last summer. I'm pretty sure he wont be going anywhere for less - but I'd understand if Valencia wanted to hold out for more

DFreshKing

If he was playing in the premier league or for Barcelona or Madrid, the muppeteering would be through the roof. Rabid.

But he's not.

More and more people will see him shining for Argentina, but most likely by the time most of the caf have seen him play he'll already be at another big side and we wont have a hope of signing him.

As far as I'm concerned, I've been watching him week after week for a good 3 seasons now and my opinion is that he's good enough to play next to Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher or even Giggs in a midfield 2 let alone the possibilities of playing in a midfield 3.

And the reason I say that is that I've seen him play incredibly well in a deep midfield 2 next to Marchena and Albelda. But last season I also saw him play very well in a midfield 3.

He ticks all the boxes and he's something special. We arent going to be lucky enough to sign Iniesta or Fabregas and we didnt get Sahin this summer. We should be all over this guy because in a couple of years, these are going to be the 4 midfielders everyone is drooling over.

I think it'll take about £24 million to sign him, which is what it cost to sign David Silva last summer. I'm pretty sure he wont be going anywhere for less - but I'd understand if Valencia wanted to hold out for more
Nice write up. IF we can get him for less than we supposedly bid for Sanchez I hope we are considering it and letting our rivals spend on areas we already have covered.

Barca don't need him and seem to want Fabregas next, RM have signed Ozil Kaderia and Sahin, we must be next in the pecking order.

Lets do EVERything we can :nervous:

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
If we sign him I demand that he's given the number 4 shirt

Ever
If we do sign him this summer he surely will get the number 4.. With Jones possibly getting # 6..

Although it would read #4 Banega right?

Status
Not open for further replies.