Everton - What next?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I like these threads by our oppo fans so thought I'd make one for Everton. I'm usually quite optimistic about our chances of the season ahead and it always bites me in the arse but this season I'm not feeling as positive as I usually am. I've gotten sucked into the negativity of last season too much and the transfer window sagas on here that I'm becoming a muppet that is thirsting for a first big signing!

Where are we at?

Last season by all standards was bloody awful. There's no excuse with the squad we have to finish 12th in the league, but I'm also quite thankful that we did. It exposed many things about our side and have shown the core elements that we need to look at moving forward.

1. Digne and Richarlison must be held onto at all costs. These two lads are our only top class players. I'm not a big fan on over-using stats but Digne is the top defender for assists outside of Robertson/TAA and was 8th overall in the PL for chances created - TAA was 3rd and the highest defender, Digne was the 2nd highest defender. He's absolutely vital to our attacking play and he's good enough defensively too. In Richarlison I think we have the most hard working forward in the league and he registered more tackles than any other forward. His pressing from the front and his ability to track back is amazing to see in a forward that is also capable of being our top goalscorer with 15 last season.

2. Our midfield. Goodness me. Our midfield was absolutely overrun last season and exposed horribly. Davies has lost all adrenaline from his breakout season and has reverted to the low level PL quality player he most likely is - I admire his passion and drive but his ability just isn't good enough. Gylfi has regressed massively, he can score and assist and still be one of the worst players on the pitch. Gomes was quality in a 3 under Silva but in a midfield 2 he's just not got the legs to be able to compete...I forgive him a little due to his horrific injury but it's clear that this area of the pitch is in need of monumental improvement. Our CMs registered 3 assists between them all season, that is disgustingly poor.

3. We have a World Class manager. Yes, he's getting older and this is a different project to any that he has had before but he injected some much needed life and passion into a side that is severely lacking any of it. We have lost our 'character' in the past few seasons and we are in danger of becoming a side that is full of mercenaries. We need someone with proven winning pedigree to unite them under the flag of winning rather than money and I really bloody hope that his resume will help in that.

What next?

We are still in the midst of a clear out. We've managed to get rid of wasters like Martina and Niasse from the wage bill and sold Schneiderlin early on too but we are still suffering from the period where Walsh spunked a load on average players for high wages. Brands isn't completely innocent but he has bought our 2 best players and his period at the club has been trying to shift a lot of these average players because our squad right now is still a little bloated. Our wage bill is high and we are going to need to adjust that a bit more before we are able to get players in which is probably why we are in battles to haggle prices.

Main targets?

CM/CAM - It appears that Allan and Doucoure are our main targets for midfield which I'd be a huge fan of. Both would add much needed legs to the midfield and bite that our current players are lacking and we have missed from Gueye last year. The Rodriguez rumours are interesting. I know that Ancelotti loves him but his wages won't be cheap and it will maybe change the formation from the 4-4-2. I believe that DCL isn't a lone striker, he excels with a player like Richarlison alongside him who can play off his target-man type style so it's going to be intriguing to see how that plays out.
RB - Santiago Arias seems to be a player we've been looking at. Brands knows him from PSV days and as Coleman is aging we need some competition there. We do have Kenny back but I think we still need to look for the future in that position.

I'd like us to get in some stiffer GK competition if we don't upgrade on Pickford too.

Who is still to go?

Bolasie, Besic and Sandro are probably the main stragglers that we are still struggling to find buyers for. Bernard is another that Ancelotti doesn't seem to fancy and is on decent sized wages so could do with being shifted if we can. The other problem that we have had is that players that we've bought and have not worked out have either been sold for very low amounts compared to what we bought them for or we have had to let them go on a free after paying a lot for them. That's a terrible business model to follow and one we need to get better with (but I don't think we are learning because Allan and Rodriguez are both in their late 20s).

Other news?

We are apparently working on a role for Baines at the club as a member of staff in some capacity. Stadium is still going ahead, should receive more news about that soon.

Aye, that's all I have from the top of my head right now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No CB? Mina constantly injured. Keane/Holgate did o.k in the run in but is still exposed against any decent team e.g 4 goals at Chelsea. Braithwaite looked decent in the run in but would make sense to loan him to championship for 6 months/1 year.

Everton are Everton. String some decent results together and you think they could actually achieve something and then they don't win again for 3 months (usually right after a traumatic loss to Liverpool).

If Ancelotti can't change that mentality I'm not sure who they could turn to next.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How long has Bernard been there? I assume he hasn’t done well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No CB? Mina constantly injured. Keane/Holgate did o.k in the run in but is still exposed against any decent team e.g 4 goals at Chelsea. Braithwaite looked decent in the run in but would make sense to loan him to championship for 6 months/1 year.

Everton are Everton. String some decent results together and you think they could actually achieve something and then they don't win again for 3 months (usually right after a traumatic loss to Liverpool).

If Ancelotti can't change that mentality I'm not sure who they could turn to next.
CM is the top priority.

We were very interested in Gabriel early on but then Covid and other things happened which meant it was a no go. I think we might be trying to pick up a bargain in that area rather than a big signing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How long has Bernard been there? I assume he hasn’t done well.
2 seasons now, he did well in his first year but was poor last season and I don’t think Ancelotti rates him that highly.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What's your opinion on Brands? From checking GOT sometimes in the past, I got the impression that he was highly rated when he arrived and appreciated for his first period, but then that dropped off. How's that going now?

Also, what are your expectations for Moise Keane this season? I seem to remember that he had a disappointing start but was getting better nearer the end of the season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What’s the expectation for the upcoming season? Your expectation, the fans & the board expectation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What's your opinion on Brands? From checking GOT sometimes in the past, I got the impression that he was highly rated when he arrived and appreciated for his first period, but then that dropped off. How's that going now?

Also, what are your expectations for Moise Keane this season? I seem to remember that he had a disappointing start but was getting better nearer the end of the season.
I like him. I think he’s got some things wrong but so will everyone. He’s in a position where he’s trying to build a long term project and so far he’s doing okay with that. He’s bought our two best players in Richy and Digne so he deserves some credit. He’s also had to deal with a lot in his short two years so far. Trying to deal with the mess of Walsh which is still ongoing, there are some players that we have struggled to get rid of and it’s because pre-Brands we bought a lot of average players for big wages. He’s done we’ll go get as many of those shifted as he can and it’s still ongoing. There are some duds during his time such as Iwobi so far or Bernard (wage wise it’s a bit high) but generally I think he’s done well.

Kean is tricky to judge. He had the wrong attitude initially but he improved that as the season went on and it came down to him not getting the minutes. He’s not going to impact a game when he only gets 10 mins from the bench which is all he was getting. When he’s started he’s looked lively and a handful. Tries the right things and I think he will develop more this season with better service and more minutes.

What’s the expectation for the upcoming season? Your expectation, the fans & the board expectation.
I expect us to challenge for the EL spots which is doable if we get the right players in. I think that’s what everyone else expects too or thinks we should be doing with the investment going into the side and the amount we spend on wages/transfers.

This is a good start and will solve two of our problems if the signings work out. We need legs + quality in midfield = Allan. We need creativity = James.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I like him. I think he’s got some things wrong but so will everyone. He’s in a position where he’s trying to build a long term project and so far he’s doing okay with that. He’s bought our two best players in Richy and Digne so he deserves some credit. He’s also had to deal with a lot in his short two years so far. Trying to deal with the mess of Walsh which is still ongoing, there are some players that we have struggled to get rid of and it’s because pre-Brands we bought a lot of average players for big wages. He’s done we’ll go get as many of those shifted as he can and it’s still ongoing. There are some duds during his time such as Iwobi so far or Bernard (wage wise it’s a bit high) but generally I think he’s done well.

Kean is tricky to judge. He had the wrong attitude initially but he improved that as the season went on and it came down to him not getting the minutes. He’s not going to impact a game when he only gets 10 mins from the bench which is all he was getting. When he’s started he’s looked lively and a handful. Tries the right things and I think he will develop more this season with better service and more minutes.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

The fun thing about reading team discussion on here is that I feel invested in the club and want them to do well. There are probably close to then clubs in the EPL I like for one reason or another by now (including you guys). Heartbreak every week! :lol:

SambaBoy

Allan is a very good player, probably not as good as he was under Sarri. James obviously has quality, but he hasn't been playing regular first team football for a while now.

Both are 29, and will probably be on 3/4 year contract on high wages. It's a risky strategy from Everton. They still need a RB and a GK too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said for years Hames needs to move somewhere where he'd be the main man instead of a supporting cast player as was th case at Bayern Munich. I assume Everton would push for years loan rather than buy him out straight away but curious how he'd do in premier league, think he'd surprise a few who think his top level career is over.

Walters_19_MuFc

The pivot of Allan and Gomes should be good. Nice balance. You need some decent wingers/wide attacking midfielders, especially if Ancelotti is to continue with a 4222.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm not expecting much of them. Think their transfer strategy has been totally wrong and they lack offensive quality. I'm also not convinced James will fit in well there if he's signed.

Paul_Scholes18

Could be a decent season for them. Europe looks hard though. They have added some quality to the midfield though so expect to see them scoring some goals.

paulscholes18

Definitely improved their midfield with Allen, James & Doucoure, guess Carlo will change to a 4-2-3-1, just need a RW
Allen Doucoure
? James Richarlison
DCL

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Definitely improved their midfield with Allen, James & Doucoure, guess Carlo will change to a 4-2-3-1, just need a RW
Allen Doucoure
? James Richarlison
DCL
James might even play on the wing and you could put Gomes in a midfield three where he’s much better - he’s not good in a midfield two.

lots of different options though going forward which is good.

Havak

Pokemon master
Very much a midfield focused window for Everton.

Is Siggurdson going to be dropped to the bench for James? Good competition if they are both seen as no.10's though.

Allan, Delph, Doucoure, Davies, Gomes, Siggurdson, James is a pretty reasonable selection for three midfield places.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Very much a midfield focused window for Everton.

Is Siggurdson going to be dropped to the bench for James? Good competition if they are both seen as no.10's though.

Allan, Delph, Doucoure, Davies, Gomes, Siggurdson, James is a pretty reasonable selection for three midfield places.
Siggurdson needs to leave to the MLS as i don't think he is good enough for the Premier league anymore. I think Iwobi will be the back up no 10 as he is better down the middle than out wide anyway. Davies also needs to leave as he isn't Premier League quality. I see he has been linked with a loan move to Watford as part of the Doucoure deal. That would be best for everyone.

You can add Gbamin to that list too. We signed him for 26 million at the start of last season and he played two games and then has been injured since. It would be interesting to see where he fits in if he can ever get back to full fitness.

el3mel

James is a signing Everton would have never dreamt of without Carlo.

I think they will do a good season but that will mean finishing 7th or 8th.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
At the very least, the start of the new season is an exciting prospect for you Everton fans. Anything could happen.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Everton's squad looks strong, think they might run Spurs and Arsenal close. A good balance in midfield, Doucoure in the box to box role, Allan as the anchor and Rodriguez for the creativity. Think this game against Spurs comes a bit too early for them, not a lot of time for the new players to bed in.

----------------------- Pickford ---------------------------
Coleman ----- Kean ----- Holgate ----- Digne
-------------- Doucoure --- Allan -----------------
--- DCL ---------- Rodriguez --------- Bernard
-------------------- Richarlison ---------------------

Solid first team and decent squad depth to cover for injuries. Always been a bit of an Ancelotti fan boy myself.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
James is a signing Everton would have never dreamt of without Carlo.

I think they will do a good season but that will mean finishing 7th or 8th.
Some people never accepts that. For them, James is a washed out player who would entirely flop In epl and he was lucky to get an offer from Everton.

Pep's Suit

I don't rate Pickford or Keane and still think they need a better winger than Iwobi or Bernard but they deffo improved a lot and should finish 7th or 8th.

izec

Their central midfield and attacking spine is quite good. Need a better GK, winger and RB though. The rest is good. Think they will push for the top 6, like Wolves

BorisManUtd

Will be really interesting to see how they perform this season. I always liked Ancelotti and even though he's past his peak he should still be able to deliver some kind of success to Everton.

Top 8 finish should be realistic but there are so many good times atm. Apart from traditional top 6 clubs you've got Wolves and Leicester too, really looking forward to upcoming season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Everton's squad looks strong, think they might run Spurs and Arsenal close. A good balance in midfield, Doucoure in the box to box role, Allan as the anchor and Rodriguez for the creativity. Think this game against Spurs comes a bit too early for them, not a lot of time for the new players to bed in.

----------------------- Pickford ---------------------------
Coleman ----- Kean ----- Holgate ----- Digne
-------------- Doucoure --- Allan -----------------
--- DCL ---------- Rodriguez --------- Bernard
-------------------- Richarlison ---------------------

Solid first team and decent squad depth to cover for injuries. Always been a bit of an Ancelotti fan boy myself.
My guess is Dominic Calvert-Lewin will play CF, and Richardlison and Iwobi will play as inside forward/winger. This is a really strong team to challenge for Top 6. I am so excited to see James in action.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They still don't overly fill my with confidence going forward, they look better at controlling a game and defensively good. But they need better forwards to be a real concerning team imo.

RooneyLegend

They still don't overly fill my with confidence going forward, they look better at controlling a game and defensively good. But they need better forwards to be a real concerning team imo.
True, Calvert-Lewin just isn't going to get it done.

mu4c_20le

They are back to what they do best, make themselves difficult to beat. No doubt they'll do the same against us and make it a battle.

Bojan11

They could be decent this season. But they hardly building for the future with some of their signings.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I was sceptical about Allan but that was a very good performance today. Felt like a PL veteran performance.

DarkLord

What surprises me is Allan is not yet 30. 29, still in his prime yet no one seems to be in for him. Allan for £21 million and James Rodriguez for £12 million. Here this is how you should take a leaf out of them for our transfer.