Everton 2022/23 | Dyche Dyche baby

Revaulx

I think he's better than what Benitez showed on and off the pitch but what's worrying for him now is he is entering a dangerous territory of the results matching Benitez which we rightly criticised Benitez for. If he doesn't pick up wins soon it will start become indefensible unfortunately for Lampard.
Indeed. Your squad might be a bit of a dog’s breakfast but it isn’t so devoid of quality that it can’t be expected to hold its own against Palace and Fulham, let alone Leicester.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Indeed. Your squad might be a bit of a dog’s breakfast but it isn’t so devoid of quality that it can’t be expected to hold its own against Palace and Fulham, let alone Leicester.
Yep. I understand why he's trying to shut out opponents first and foremost and it can work but when you don't have the quality up front like Spurs do with Kane, Richy, Son etc., it's going to result in more draws/losses than wins. He needs to figure out how to be strong enough at the back but still get goals.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I have tried really hard to defend Lampard and many have laughed at me on here for doing so. I think he did well to keep us up and he did create the connection between club, fans and players alike but that will only stretch so far. I think as was shown with Ole at United there becomes a point where it’s not sustainable anymore and if you have limited ideas on the pitch then you’re going to struggle like heck and that’s what we are seeing now. I like him, I do, but with each passing week the results get worse and it’s just not working out for him or us like we wanted it to. It’s frustrating that we have wasted 6 weeks of the WC without sacking him but I also understand why we didn’t. We could have came back yesterday and won and things could have been different. The reason I’m saying this now is that we came back yesterday and we looked like a team that had been sitting at home for 6 weeks doing nothing. We looked seriously unfit and uncomfortable doing anything. We aren’t losing to teams that are good either, we are losing against teams that we are fighting against relegation with which isn’t good enough. Lose against City and he absolutely has to go. I’m disappointed for him and for us but we need to give the full window to the next guy rather than what happened with Benitez/Lampard last year. It’s incredibly difficult to suggest who that man should be though.

MegadrivePerson

It’s incredibly difficult to suggest who that man should be though.
How would you feel about Sean Dyche coming in?

I think you should have got rid of Lampard before the world cup and got Dyche in.

He may be arguably the least glamorous name but I think he's perfect for what you need for the next few years. He's far superior to Lampard, has already worked with a number of the Everton players. He will keep you up and make you difficult to play against. You won't have to worry about Real Madrid coming in for him either!

To me it's a no brainer!

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

I think you should have got rid of Lampard before the world cup and got Dyche in.

He may be arguably the least glamorous name but I think he's perfect for what you need for the next few years. He's far superior to Lampard, has already worked with a number of the Everton players. He will keep you up and make you difficult to play against. You won't have to worry about Real Madrid coming in for him either!

To me it's a no brained!
If they have to go from Ancelotti to Dyche in only couple of years, somethings gone massively wrong and a lot of people deserve the sack.

MegadrivePerson

If they have to go from Ancelotti to Dyche in only couple of years, somethings gone massively wrong and a lot of people deserve the sack.
I'd argue that appointing Ancelotti was where they went wrong in the first place.
He was never the right fit for Everton. I've seen some fantasist on twitter taking about getting Tuchel or Zidane but they aren't going to drop down to a club this size in a relegation battle!

Can anyone think of a better fit for the club now than Sean Dyche because I can't?

C'est Moi Cantona

To me it's a no brainer!
I think that might just tip their poor fans over the edge.

What about going back to Roberto Martinez, or just going a bit mad and appoint Bielsa, surely only be a matter of time before Rodgers is available too.

I've just looked at their squad and it's mad at how bad it is, full of average players, if they don't do something soon then they're going to finish the job they almost did last season, and get relagated, which would be a shame.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's almost a shame Claudio Ranieri is going to Serie B club Cagliari on Sunday.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think that might just tip their poor fans over the edge.

What about going back to Roberto Martinez, or just going a bit mad and appoint Bielsa, surely only be a matter of time before Rodgers is available too.

I've just looked at their squad and it's mad at how bad it is, full of average players, if they don't do something soon then they're going to finish the job they almost did last season, and get relagated, which would be a shame.
Bielsa isn’t a bad shout for a rebuild and rebrand (basically what Frank should be doing). Just not sure how he’s fair coming in now looking at a potential dog fight?

It’s pure fantasy to suggest a top level manager will take the job though, even more so if there’s no money to spend and the structure isn’t there yet with such a volatile owner.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everton are just the new Villa/Sunderland/Newcastle from a decade ago.

Constantly circling the drain of bottom 3 and given they've stopped actually beating anyone at Goodison that dosen't bode well given their home form kept them up just last season.

Dyche seems the obvious replacement given guys like Tarkowski and McNeill are there already and know his methods.

I actually thought there was logic to most of their transfers but they gambled too much on Calvert Lewin getting fit. Maupay isn't anything like him as a CF and has really flopped.

C'est Moi Cantona

Bielsa isn’t a bad shout for a rebuild and rebrand (basically what Frank should be doing). Just not sure how he’s fair coming in now looking at a potential dog fight?

It’s pure fantasy to suggest a top level manager will take the job though, even more so if there’s no money to spend and the structure isn’t there yet with such a volatile owner.
Yes he might not be the best for a dog fight, perhaps a better fit if they get relagated and a full rebuild is done, but still the options are limited so it could still be worth chancing, even if just for entertainment factor.

Whatever they do they need to do it now, as Frank looks dead in the water, and he next manager at least deserves a chance to get some of his own players in.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I actually thought there was logic to most of their transfers but they gambled too much on Calvert Lewin getting fit. Maupay isn't anything like him as a CF and has really flopped.
There was. Banking on DCL being fit is the biggest issue. By doing that we haven’t replaced him with a striker like him when that’s the type of player Lampard has been forging a style for. Maupay is nothing like him and as you say is performing way lower than expected. I know people don’t rate Maupay but he was a good player for Brighton. He’s going to be shite for us as long as we play him like we are.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
id be worried that they are going down this year if I was an Everton fan. It just doesnt feel right, the whole aura of the club at the minute.

As a neutral sacking Lamps is about as obvious as the sacking of Ole was. It should have been done already.
Everton losing to City is a about 100% nailed on as it gets.

Abraxas

They should definitely have gone for Dyche over Lampard.

Think they'd be in little bother of relegation. It's all very well thinking Dyche is unfashionable or he's this or he's that, but fact is he's an experienced manager that largely did his job at Burnley in the PL whereas I don't think Lampard is cut out for this type of job where they're now spending much less and the squad is poor. It's just about getting results by hook or by crook.

If you look at the jobs Arteta and Lampard were walking into as inexperienced managers there's night and day difference. I advocated for patience with Arteta because they were building and spending on young players and everybody including the manager is on that curve of progressing. At Everton they're not building, they're treading water. Dyche for a few years would have been better to stabilise the ship.

NoPace

I'd argue that appointing Ancelotti was where they went wrong in the first place.
He was never the right fit for Everton. I've seen some fantasist on twitter taking about getting Tuchel or Zidane but they aren't going to drop down to a club this size in a relegation battle!

Can anyone think of a better fit for the club now than Sean Dyche because I can't?
The best thing on their team seems to be the midfield 3 being athletic, defensively fairly combative and decently balanced, though lacking end product. So, either they hire Dyche to play 4-4-2, which suits their wingers (Crossers who can't score goals apart from Gordon, but you could maybe play him up top next to whichever one of Calvert-Lewin or Maupay is healthy) but maybe you bench Iwobi or try him on the wing, or you decide the midfield is the beating heart of the team and look to buy an attacker who can either play up top when Calvert-Lewin is out or out wide when he isn't.

Weirdly, even though he's been good, I would be tempted to sell Iwobi if a good offer came in and buy a more productive #10/2nd striker since those are unfashionable now - since Onana and Gueye is a tough defensive base behind them, and hope that helps the goalscoring drought.

They could also use an LCB so Coady only plays in a 5 man backline and Tarkowski can play on the right, where he's better on the ball.

So yeah, I think the squad is the problem more than the manager. Lampard has made them tough to beat and they do give effort, he just can't create any offense but I'm not sure how you do that with this squad. You can't go 3/5 at the back unless you think the fullbacks can suddenly improve in attack (they probably won't) or Gray/McNeil can handle the job defensively (they probably can't). They really just need a quality #10 or winger to save them, like West Ham when they got Lingard on loan.

No idea who that would be. Maybe Damsgaard? He's done well as Eriksen's replacement at times for Denmark and can't get time at Brentford. Then sack Lampard in the summer and hire a better manager.

They have the structure to stay up, they just badly need 2 attackers, a winger and an attacking midfielder, and of course 10+ starts from Calvert-Lewin.

NoPace

The reason I’m saying this now is that we came back yesterday and we looked like a team that had been sitting at home for 6 weeks doing nothing. We looked seriously unfit and uncomfortable doing anything.
Yeah that's fairly bad, considering only Gueye, Coady and Pickford played in WC knockout matches (and Onana in the group stage).

United have only played Burnley and Forest, so it might be misleading, but the team does seem to be better drilled in possession than before the break.

There's no real attacking plan I can see when I watch Everton, other than the midfield creating turnovers and Iwobi linking play on the counter. Getting crosses and long balls into Calvert-Lewin makes up for that when he's healthy, but a team like Brentford play that way with Toney but still seem to have more ideas going forward. Onana is strong and fast, but he never seems to get chances to use that going forward.

Would be fun to see Everton give the Moroccan manager a shot (if he'd take it, I have no idea) and bring in Ziyech on loan and try to stay up. Feels like that might work.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Quite telling when you hear Stubbs doing a few radio interviews and the stuff he's saying. Doesn't get offered tickets anymore because he criticises the board and the club. They just want to have a club, staff and ex-players that pretends everything is rosy when it isn't.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

"Dear Everton Fans’ Forum,

"Thank you for your letter and also more importantly for everything you do for the Club.

"As the majority shareholder and proud custodian of Everton, I have the utmost respect for the support of Evertonians. I am also fully aware and understand the concerns that fans may have.

"I hope through my two open letters to fans in the last 12 months I have provided clarity on my position, commitment and the direction of the Club. I trust that you also agree that the Club operates a well-structured and ongoing dialogue with not only the Forum, but also the Fan Advisory Board, the Supporters’ Club Committees and the many other fan groups that form the most robust fan communication network of any Club in the Premier League.

"In almost seven years since my arrival at the Club, I have significantly increased my investment and our new stadium has become reality. We regularly review our performance and initiate change where we feel that the Club falls short of standard. This has meant that we have seen turnover in managers, Directors of Football and several board members, but always as we have striven to achieve success. Whilst, in virtually every instance, change has been supported and encouraged by fans, stability must be the key to progression.

"I have faith in the work being done not only by our manager, but our Director of Football and our board of directors. That faith is based on my knowledge of the depth and quality of work being done both at Finch Farm and the Royal Liver Building - and of the plan that is in place. I am confident that we have skilled, experienced and focused professionals at all levels of the Club. We are all agreed that our current league position must and will improve.

"I welcome the plans for the Fan Advisory Board (FAB) to host a series of sessions with fans to gather feedback, thoughts and concerns – of which the Forum is a part. I can confirm representatives from the Club’s Board will engage with the FAB and meet with its designated representative to discuss the collated fan feedback as soon as possible following the completion of those scheduled sessions.

"The focus of myself, the Club and the fans is aligned - a better Everton - and I am confident we can move forward in a constructive and positive manner.

"Best wishes,

"Farhad"
So people are aware of what Lampard has to work under. Moshiri is a fecking tool. Went on talksport with his buddy Jim White to give a wee interview and talk shite as usual. The bolded in his open letter this week is fecking worrying too as it's clear our skilled professionals are absolute guff compared to the rest of the league. Embarassing to have him as an owner. Be absolutely careful what you wish for in terms of owners with money. :(

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It comes back to backing the wrong manager. You can have all the structure you want but if the guy setting up the team and leading the coaching sessions is not good enough the team will suffer. Imagine being an Everton fan seeing Lopetegu join Wolves while you're stuck with Lampard.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I think it's fair to say any manager in the PL would be an improvement on Frank, in fairness

I think they should have given Marco Silva more time, he was decent. He’s doing a really good job at Fulham now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It comes back to backing the wrong manager. You can have all the structure you want but if the guy setting up the team and leading the coaching sessions is not good enough the team will suffer. Imagine being an Everton fan seeing Lopetegu join Wolves while you're stuck with Lampard.
The manager isn't the main problem with Everton.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The best thing on their team seems to be the midfield 3 being athletic, defensively fairly combative and decently balanced, though lacking end product. So, either they hire Dyche to play 4-4-2, which suits their wingers (Crossers who can't score goals apart from Gordon, but you could maybe play him up top next to whichever one of Calvert-Lewin or Maupay is healthy) but maybe you bench Iwobi or try him on the wing, or you decide the midfield is the beating heart of the team and look to buy an attacker who can either play up top when Calvert-Lewin is out or out wide when he isn't.

Weirdly, even though he's been good, I would be tempted to sell Iwobi if a good offer came in and buy a more productive #10/2nd striker since those are unfashionable now - since Onana and Gueye is a tough defensive base behind them, and hope that helps the goalscoring drought.

They could also use an LCB so Coady only plays in a 5 man backline and Tarkowski can play on the right, where he's better on the ball.

So yeah, I think the squad is the problem more than the manager. Lampard has made them tough to beat and they do give effort, he just can't create any offense but I'm not sure how you do that with this squad. You can't go 3/5 at the back unless you think the fullbacks can suddenly improve in attack (they probably won't) or Gray/McNeil can handle the job defensively (they probably can't). They really just need a quality #10 or winger to save them, like West Ham when they got Lingard on loan.

No idea who that would be. Maybe Damsgaard? He's done well as Eriksen's replacement at times for Denmark and can't get time at Brentford. Then sack Lampard in the summer and hire a better manager.

They have the structure to stay up, they just badly need 2 attackers, a winger and an attacking midfielder, and of course 10+ starts from Calvert-Lewin.
I remember them tentatively being linked with Conor Gallagher in the summer.

Was optimistic at the time given his season at Palace but have to think he wants to go somewhere to start every week again given it's not really going to happen at Chelsea now.

He'd certainly give them far more goal threat from the midfield area and his style would suit them aswell.

NoPace

I remember them tentatively being linked with Conor Gallagher in the summer.

Was optimistic at the time given his season at Palace but have to think he wants to go somewhere to start every week again given it's not really going to happen at Chelsea now.

He'd certainly give them far more goal threat from the midfield area and his style would suit them aswell.
Yeah, he'd be massive for them. He's the kind of aggressive presser and runner that Brighton liked under Potter and now De Zerbi so you'd think Potter wants to keep him, but the team I'd be looking at if I was him is Brentford. 3-5-2 most of the time, 4-2-3-1 the other times and a serious opportunity for someone to replace Jensen and be given tons of license to go forward with Norgaard sitting and Janelt doing the dirty work. I think he could get 10 goals every year in that role and get to a Maddison level. Then if there's no spot at a top team in England as an AM or he can't add more to his game, he can avoid Ward-Prowse's fate in purgatory by moving to a big club in Italy or Germany. Krunic played like 35 times for Milan last year, he'd be good in that spot.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There is a sit down protest today. Don’t agree with them receiving threats of violence or anything of the sort but do not wish them at the club any further. Hopefully the protest is peaceful and we win today. Anything else will be a dark day for the club.

FujiVice

Genuine chance there could be hell raised, dogs and cats living together type shit if Everton lose at home to Southampton.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Do these people ever stop and think... ''Hang on, it's just a sport, why am I so invested in this''